Sub-4 Marathon Group

September 2013 (Read 44 times)

runlikeagirI

Go here - http://athleticinjuriesofatlanta.com/  Dr. Pio is a lifesaver!

Just an update since I haven't run since two weeks ago today.  Still have that calf strain.  My past experience is that a calf strain is a six week injury and Chicago is six weeks from Sunday.  Cry  If I try to start back too soon I'll just reset the clock and it will have to start over.  Plus I have a 10k six days after Chicago, and the Silver Comet Marathon 13 days after Chicago.  Wonder if I have to just consider Chicago a fun run and give up on trying a PR or BQ.

I'm walking slowly with a short stride to minimize the amount of toe off on that leg to try to minimize the stress to the calf.  I'm icing (in the evening when at home) wearing a compression sleeve and munching on ibuprofen.  Don't know anything else I can do.  I do still feel it.  I wish there was some kind of self administered test I could do that could tell me when I could do what.  In the past I would wait until I couldn't feel the injury any more and then give myself three to five days before trying a slow run.

In the meantime I guess I'll just keep watching my fitness decline.  Sigh.....

runlikeagirI

mdawg, congrats on your BQ!

I've been to Dr. Pio several times.  Her Duluth location is very close to where I work.  Didn't think of her regarding a calf strain because I didn't think she could do anything for it.

Edited to note that I made an appointment for 0830 on Thursday the 12th to see her.  Here's hoping for some serious magic.Smile

Rusk Runner

Squeezed in some repeats today at the base gym.

2 miles warm-up @ 9:20 pace, 6 x .25mile @ 6:11 pace, .25 rests @ 9:31 pace, 1.25 miles cool-down @ 9:20 pace.

RVD - Hope all goes well at the appt.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

10 miles finished at 8:27 avg. Wanted 5 x 1 mile @ 10k pace but cut them short 2/3's of the way through the 3rd one. Hip and ankle didn't feel quite right and was running with a bit of a limp so just finished all miles at easy pace. Sucks because I was cranking them out at 6:41's pretty easily. But, trying this whole run smart thing to see how it goes

Play the Game Hard!

Where do you do your girl-like running?  You use the northern segment of the Big Creek Greenway, right?  Our paces are kind of similar for our long runs.

I was looking at your mile splits on your marathon.  You started out like a bat outta hell.  Seems you aren't too happy with the results.  Big grin  What was the terrain like?

runlikeagirI

I run several places - Big Creek, Suwanee Greenway, Little Mulberry,etc.

My goal for this race was a BQ (sub 3:45 for me), not just sub-4.  I had a custom course specific pace band , but it was a small race (fewer than 650 in the full) and I was concerned about being in no-man's land for the vast majority of it.  There was a 3:50 pace group (8:47/mi) and the person leading the group claimed he was going to run even splits the whole way, so what my coach and I discussed was me staying with them for about the first 5 miles then following my band the rest of the way.  Well, less than half a mile into the race, he was at sub-8:30 pace.. so I backed off and let them go.  I went with my band as long as I could, but  just had one of those horrible days where it's not happening.  By mile 5 I wasn't feeling great, but even at mile 9 I was only about a minute off pace.  I kept just trying to take it one mile at a time and not get into to dark a place, but then I started giving back 20, 30, 40 seconds a mile...by the halfway point I was 3 - 4 minutes off and it just got worse from there.  It was apparent Boston wasn't happening, so I told myself I'd just have to settle for a PR (<3:58).. and that didn't  happen.  Then I told myself "but surely you'll beat your time from Twin Cities last year".. umm.. nope.  It was absolutely spirit-killing to have both the 4:00 and 4:15 groups pass me prior to mile 20.  This was the most humbling running experience I've had by far.

It was a warm, humid, windy day.  I saw several people go down, some ending up in ambulances.   The vast majority of the course was wide open, no shade or shelter from the conditions.  It was also hillier than I expected.  I've read many lists that say Sioux Falls is one of the top BQ courses, and honestly I find that surprising.  I thought I remembered reading that it only had about 125 feet of gain - turns out that is NET gain, not total.  I had just about the same amount of climbing for Sioux Falls that I had for Twin Cities last year, and most 'flatlanders' consider TCM a hilly course.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130908/UPDATES/130908004/Despite-humidity-hundreds-compete-Sioux-Falls-Marathon

I run several places - Big Creek, Suwanee Greenway, Little Mulberry,etc.

My goal for this race was a BQ (sub 3:45 for me), not just sub-4.  I had a custom course specific pace band , but it was a small race (fewer than 650 in the full) and I was concerned about being in no-man's land for the vast majority of it.  There was a 3:50 pace group (8:47/mi) and the person leading the group claimed he was going to run even the whole way, so what my coach and I discussed was me staying with them for about the first 5 miles then following my band the rest of the way.  Well, less than half a mile into the race, he was at sub-8:30 pace.. so I backed off and let them go.  I went with my band as long as I could, but  just had one of those horrible days where it's not happening.  By mile 5 I wasn't feeling great, but even at mile 9 I was only about a minute off pace.  I kept just trying to take it one mile at a time and not get into to dark a place, but then I started giving back 20, 30, 40 seconds a mile...by the halfway point I was 3 - 4 minutes off and it just got worse from there.  It was apparent Boston wasn't happening, so I told myself I'd just have to settle for a PR (<3:58).. and that didn't  happen.  Then I told myself "but surely you'll beat your time from Twin Cities last year".. umm.. nope.  It was absolutely spirit-killing to have both the 4:00 and 4:15 groups pass me prior to mile 20.  This was the most humbling running experience I've had by far.

It was a warm, humid, windy day.  I saw several people go down, some ending up in ambulances.   The vast majority of the course was wide open, no shade or shelter from the conditions.  It was also hillier than I expected.  I've read many lists that say Sioux Falls is one of the top BQ courses, and honestly I find that surprising.  I thought I remembered reading that it only had about 125 feet of gain - turns out that NET gain, not total.  I had just about the same amount of climbing for Sioux Falls that I had for Twin Cities last year, and most 'flatlanders' consider TCM a hilly course.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130908/UPDATES/130908004/Despite-humidity-hundreds-compete-Sioux-Falls-Marathon

Other than Chicago and the Silver Comet this year, I'm registered for the Shamrock (Va Beach) and will register for Lake Wobegon (MN) which is in May.  Maybe you should join me for that one.  It is small, flat and run on a Silver Comet-like Rails to Trails type course.

By the way, the Silver Comet full is probably still open (Oct 26) if you want to do another this year.  The price is right + no travel.

DetroitTigerFan

T-N-T  oi! oi! oi!

T-N-T  oi! oi! oi!

8 miles easy at 9:18 in 94 degrees Smile  good confidence builder - maybe that speed work yesterday helped me

Indy - how's the weather down there - we get one more day at 95 and then it hits 60 this weekend ! (right in time for my final tune up HM)

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

DTF - Supposed to start cooling down here starting on Friday.  Right now its oppressive.

8.1 recovery miles @ 8:53 avg pace.  Humid as hell at 3:18 AM.  I felt like I had just climbed out of a swimming pool when I was done.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

that's a rough race runslikeagirl.  My past couple of half's have gone that way. I just cant find my race day formula for some reason. Good luck on the next one.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Sorry for being MIA.  Too stinking busy!

I did 2 miles with hubby plus 8 solo on Monday.  8 with 4 X 1 mile intervals yesterday. SRD today as I get to FE with a fellow forumite from RWOL.

Have a great day!

Now let me get to read what y'all been up to.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

RVD, hope the doctor's appointment helps.

runlikeagirl, tough race.  But such is humidity and adjusting throughout the race is the way to go.  Congrats.

Damaris

Excellent article on cramping.  It pretty much sums up the state of current knowledge on the issue.

RVD, thanks for that article. Very interesting! I feel very dumb now realizing that all of my assumed truths were false.

DTF - Good job on the 20 and 10k. So I assume you aren't running the Zoo run this Sunday? My wife is, but I think I am going to try to do part of my LR with the Hanson's group run in Royal Oak. I can't believe that there are only 5+ weeks left.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)