Sub-4 Marathon Group

September 2013 (Read 44 times)

DetroitTigerFan

RVD - thanks for the link - I never knew cramps were driven by the brain !

Nick - thanks ! hope you are doing well.  I love the zoo 10K !   However, i'm running Romeo to Richmond HM as my final Pfitz tune up this weekend. It's funny how it 90 now and will be 60 this weekend. I guess that's good for all the races. I'm excited for the Freep.  I'm a little nervous to know if i'm truly ready for 4hrs and maybe this HM will be a good predictor.  I only beat my 10k PB by 50 seconds so who knows.  I see all you guys/gals crushing your times it makes me second guess my ability and if i should have picked Hansons Smile  I also had my confidence shaken a few weeks ago at Kensington with a 20 miler gone bad (turned into 13 miles with 3 walking to my car- lol), but I attributed it to day 1 of a sudden sinus infection/cold. 5 more weeks - let's do this !!! Smile

I'm so glad today is a rest day - now to the couch !!!!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Looks like everyone has been busy.  Need to go back and read posts [and the articles].  Re: famous runners who inspired folks, mine was Bill Rodgers.  I was training for first marathon last year, and he was running/appearing in a local fun-run race "notBoston" [2.63 miles] in our local park.  At the "race dinner" the night before actually shared a table and ended up talking to him for a couple of hours.  Autographs and best wishes for Steamtown currently on my office wall.  Kept me training last year, and keeps me training even when things don't go as planned.

Last night I was supposed to run 8-9 miles with buddy at local park after work.  He was scheduled for 9 and my schedule called for 8. Anyway with 88-90F temps and high humidity, we didn't quite hit either of our mileage goals.  By 4 miles even at slower pace, we both decided not worth heat stress/stroke.  So only ended up doing 4.1 miles in about 35 mins and change.  Decided to do our miles on Thursday instead.

This morning was make-up, I was scheduled for 5 miles but ended up doing 9+ starting at 4:30AM.  Temps were little better around 72F but humidity was still high. Felt more like Florida or Bermuda in the morning than PA.  Anyway, to make long story short, I got'er done at nice easy 8:20 average pace or thereabouts.  Tomorrow is rest day for running but still  crosstraining day doing free-weights in fittness center.

Enjoy the day and good running.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

I also had my confidence shaken a few weeks ago at Kensington with a 20 miler gone bad (turned into 13 miles with 3 walking to my car- lol), but I attributed it to day 1 of a sudden sinus infection/cold. 5 more weeks - let's do this !!! Smile

Don't sweat this. This happens to 90% of runners at least once during their training, IMO. Maybe not on a LR but during some speed, tempo or LR. Mental game workout. I had a 17 miler last year that felt great and the next week a 12 that felt like 32.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

runlikeagirI: Saw Dr. Pio this morning.  She is having me do a treadmill 5 minute walking warmup followed by two reps of three minutes walking and two running tomorrow morning.  I have to take 48 hours off and then do the same thing Sunday, but with three reps and then see her again on Monday.  I also have stretching and icing to do.

I told her of your recommendation and she asked who you were, but I told her I didn't know.  I did tell her though that you ran like a girl.

At the moment it is looking like I'll be able to do Chicago, but more as a fun run since I have no idea what to do for pace and I will have lost so much fitness.

runlikeagirI: Saw Dr. Pio this morning.  She is having me do a treadmill 5 minute walking warmup followed by two reps of three minutes walking and two running tomorrow morning.  I have to take 48 hours off and then do the same thing Sunday, but with three reps and then see her again on Monday.  I also have stretching and icing to do.

I told her of your recommendation and she asked who you were, but I told her I didn't know.  I did tell her though that you ran like a girl.

At the moment it is looking like I'll be able to do Chicago, but more as a fun run since I have no idea what to do for pace and I will have lost so much fitness.

how did the first set go?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I did 8.60 miles instead of 12 yesterday due to lack of time and me being tired.  So, the 12 have to be done today, 5 done, more to go tonight.

RVD, from what you wrote in the other group, your test didn't go well.  Even if it didn't, does the doctor want you to do the Sunday test as well?

Have a great day!

Damaris

how did the first set go?

I wasn't happy with it.  Calf was sore and then later started aching.  I went home at lunch and put an ice pack on it for half an hour.  Feels better now, but I'm taking little short strides when walking so that I don't really have to toe off on that foot.

RVD, from what you wrote in the other group, your test didn't go well.  Even if it didn't, does the doctor want you to do the Sunday test as well?

I'm not going to try to run again on Sunday.  I think I'll revert to my normal way of doing things, namely not run at all until I can go for 5 days without feeling any discomfort.  And then I'll just ramp up slowly.  Just don't know if I can get back to running any sufficient distance before Chicago.  Even if I can, I certainly won't have any fitness.

Rusk Runner

RVD - Sorry to hear but you certainly are doing what is best for your overall health.

6.08 easy miles @ 8:12 avg pace.  Weather is gorgeous.  70 deg, with a bit of wind, not humid.  It was a delightful run.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

runlikeagirI

Hoping the soreness is just from the ART, RVD. Sprey to hear it didn't go well on the treadmill.

mdawg87

Today was a great day in the mdawg house because....

I registered for and was accepted into Boston for 2014!  I submitted my application at 10:05 am this morning and the acceptance came through about 4:15.  I am beyond excited!  Now I just have to train for and run it.  No biggie!

RVD:  So sorry you're still ailing.  I remember well dealing with my calf before Chicago last year.  Just get it healed and don't worry about lost fitness or goal times.  Get to the start line as healthy as possible.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Wow.  42 deg this morning.  I was going to go out for 5 @ GHMP but, I noticed I was somewhat fast so I kept the pace for a tempo run and decided to  try to keep the final mile around GHMP to cool down.  I guess the weather was so good I wanted to enjoy it.

Avg pace 7:00.  Splits 6:56, 7:05, 6:57, 6:49, (GHMPish cool down 7:20).

I figure my GHMP to be around 7:25 for November, if I can keep my long runs around 14 miles.

Just Run!!!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

RVD: Sorry to hear about things not improving.  Rest is probably best even though it messes with your training.  Better to go to Chicago healthy and slightly undertrained then injured. Hang in there.

Indy: Great run this morning.

Cooler temps here in PA as well this on my 13.1 mile long run.  First part of my run passed a lot of folks all bundled up walking dogs or just walking.  Temps were high 40 to low 50F but we had brisk wind.  I wore a singlet since at home temps were about 54F, but found them cooler on towpath along canal.  Made rookie mistake, and forgot bandaids so smarting a little now from singlet.  I guess I am just  not used to wearing shirts again on a training run. Wink

Have a great weekend folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

DetroitTigerFan

RVD - hope you recover well and soon. Hang in there

Roll - thanks for your support, man

I had my first experience of getting caught totally by surprise in a fast moving storm / squall line this week - lol. Was 4 miles away from home and all heck broke loose ! at least 20 mph winds, cold dropping temps, and sideways rain. I kept running, holding my hat and looking downward so my hat wouldn't fly off.  Cars driving by me probably wondering what the heck i was doing.  It was like that for 3-4 miles and was drenched, and kept running since there was no lightning and I could see the sky lighten up. I also had to reverse course by a mile due to a downed power line ! Police were already there blocking it.  Have you ever had a similar situation ?

Have my last tune up race tomorrow - a HM.  Since I did my 10K at 7:45min and last year my half last year at this time was 8:15min, so i'm going to try for 8:00 min and accelerate in the back 4 miles to 10K pace if possible. This one is on a paved bike path, so traffic early on is an issue. I'm debating where I go in the start line. I modestly started 60% back last year and was passing those running 10:00 min miles - lol. (racing pet peeve) There's no room for maneuvering since the path is tree lined,etc I'll figure something out - maybe start 30% back this time? we'll see

Enjoy the weekend !!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

Best of luck tomorrow DTF!  Go ahead and get lined up closer to the start.  I know what you mean about having to try to get through traffic.

Last winter I got caught on a run by rain, sleet, snow, and wind for about 5 miles.  Had the same deal with needing to look down but it was difficult too because the sun went down and I had to use my headlamp to navigate.  Luckily I was running on the Naval Base so the traffic was very light.

Shadow runner - Ouch.  One of runnings more bothersome injuries.

Just Run!!!