Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jenny, I agree with Cbus and you.  You probably had something more on the marathon but since you were not sure how your MP would be this time around, that's understandable.  Frankly, I prefer to do negative split marathons even if I miss a 1-2 minute PR because of it.  I prefer feeling strong than fading, but I know everybody is different.  And I think the way I perform relates more about my asthma than anything.

Damaris

mdawg87

Come out and join me on the Silver Comet.  It is quite flat compared to where you're running.  I started at the trail head in Mableton yesterday for 3wu+12MP+3cd=18 miles.  It looks like your splits were about 5 seconds per mile faster than mine.  I was actually running 10 seconds faster per mile than my targeted marathon pace for Lake Wobegon.  Here is my RA entry.

RVD:  I did some LRs at the Silver Comet last summer training for Chicago and loved it.  The only issue is that I'm  aaaallll the way across town.  I will definitely be using it for this marathon training cycle though and would love to run with you!  I just wish I could do some of the weekday stuff there too.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good morning.  Strength training, abs, and cycling this morning.  Forgot to mention with everything going on last weekend that I'm headed to FL with my Mom this week to visit my sister.  Looking forward to some flat runs!  We leave Wednesday, although I did take the whole week off.  It was nice to not get up at dark thirty this morning.

Sprinkles:  Trust me... The youth on your side theory is totally true.  I've discovered the main difference between our age groups is recovery time.  

Onemile:  glad you are able to at least shuffle around today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've read great things about Silver Comet (and the HM there). Last time I was in ATL, I planned to run there but I got a horrible migraine and had to pass on it.

Damaris

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Afternoon Donuts! Late check-in for me with another busy work day. I ran a solid 16m yesterday at a 8:14 avg pace with lot of those miles close to 8:00 pace, but ran a really hilly route with 1200ft of elev gain. last few miles were tough in the headwind. trying to run my LRs closer to my hanson pace so it's easier when i am actually doing plan come July. Ran an easy 6.2m recovery this morning and legs did not feel too bad. Wore my new compression socks all day yesterday and definitely helped. 3 days till my taper...can't wait.Smile

Flinders - nice 10m race

Jenny - how many donuts did you have today?Smile

mdawg - I agree with the others regarding pace on hills. My LR yesterday some of the big hills were 10-15sec slower than some of the other parts of the route.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

RVD:  I did some LRs at the Silver Comet last summer training for Chicago and loved it.  The only issue is that I'm  aaaallll the way across town.  I will definitely be using it for this marathon training cycle though and would love to run with you!  I just wish I could do some of the weekday stuff there too.

I'm in Suwanee (actually in the unincorporated area between Suwanee and Lawrenceville) so it is about a 40 minute drive for me (85/285).  But I don't find that too much a bother for a once a week Sunday long run.

I usually do my shorter non-interval runs at the Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway.  It is good for up to about 12 miles or so.

Smashy!!!

Oh snap, Mdawg! RV just threw it down!

I'm in Suwanee (actually in the unincorporated area between Suwanee and Lawrenceville) so it is about a 40 minute drive for me (85/285).  But I don't find that too much a bother for a once a week Sunday long run.

I usually do my shorter non-interval runs at the Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway.  It is good for up to about 12 miles or so.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Oh snap, Mdawg! RV just threw it down!

LOL Somebody is instigating!

Smashy!!!

Evil

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Canuck

Morning all.  Congratulations on the great races again this weekend, Docket, onemile and Flinders.  I ran a 10K yesterday, but I am fat and out of shape right now and didn't want to push my bad leg too much so it was slow.  My calves were bothering me again this week (so annoying), but fortunately I had Graston scheduled today so hopefully that will stave off any lingering issues.  Planning on an easy 5 after work tonight, weather is beautiful today, sunny with a high of 58 and the cherry blossoms are out in full force right now.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

mdawg87

Imagine that from cbus!  Smile

But both of you are right.  There's really no reason I couldn't do it once a week.  I'll have to check out the Alpharetta Greenway.

I've read great things about Silver Comet (and the HM there). Last time I was in ATL, I planned to run there but I got a horrible migraine and had to pass on it.

My half marathon PR is at the Silver Comet.  But last year they started a marathon on the same day, so I'm thinking of doing the marathon this year instead of the half.  It is just two weeks after Chicago, though.

I do have a  problem in that I don't know how realistic my half marathon training paces are for the Hanson full marathon training schedule.  There just aren't any flat half marathons in the area so that I can do a reality check.

Imagine that from cbus!  Smile

But both of you are right.  There's really no reason I couldn't do it once a week.  I'll have to check out the Alpharetta Greenway.

Not sure where you live, but traffic could be a hassle in getting to the Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway during the week.  It is only about 15 minutes from where I work, but it is in the opposite direction from home, and I get rush hour traffic after my run for the ride home.

onemile

D- still a long ways to be shuffling/walking!

jedi - wow, nice pace on the 16.  I know I did a couple 'practice' runs at Hansons LR pace too to get an idea of if I could do it (it was faster than I usually do long runs!).  No donuts but I did have some post race pizza!

zoekat - hope the graston takes care of things for you!

So I'm starting to think about training for my next marathon and considering doing Hansons Advanced again, using the paces for 3:35 (my BQ time).  What do you guys think?  Reasonable or crazy?  I don't really have any races to support that goal time but it wouldn't be a huge leap from what I ran at Carmel.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think it's not unreasonable since your PR is a bit soft (let's call it 3:40 had you run even pacing).  So, 5 minutes?  Doable.  Just pick the right race.  Thinking of signing up with Robin on CIM?

Damaris