Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

onemile

No, definitely not CIM.  I'm signed up for Lakefront for fall and that is plenty for me.

I think it's not unreasonable since your PR is a bit soft (let's call it 3:40 had you run even pacing).  So, 5 minutes?  Doable.  Just pick the right race.  Thinking of signing up with Robin on CIM?

mdawg87

Well, I took the plunge.  I registered for the Lehigh Valley marathon.  Guess I'm committed to that BQ-5 goal!   

Onemile:  I think you've got a 3:35 in you.  You just proved you could execute a disciplined aggressive race.  That's a 7 minute PR which sounds doable.  Are you thinking of trying for it in your fall race?

Zoe:  Sorry the calves are still bothering you.  Hope the graston loosens them up.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Jenny - my Hanson LR pace is 8:05 based on a sub315, so I was a bit off but picked a really hilly route though.

Mdawg - I was thinking of Legigh but my don's bday so that won't fly with wife.Smile I live about 2hr from start

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Onemile - I would say there is no reason in the world you shouldnt set your paces to meet your BQ.  7 minutes is well within your grasp.  You actually got lucky with the weather in Carmel.  Those were dreamy temps for the time of year.  You wont have that problem in the fall.  You also get the benefit of training through the summer in the heat.  Once fall rolls around everything will seem easier and you think you get this huge fitness gain since you are running in cooler temps.  Again, YOU ARE A LOCK FOR 3:35.

Nick - No biggy, you are just getting used to stringing runs together again IMO.

Amik - I would not call that the walk of shame more than I would call it not listening to your body before you got out the door.  I have gotten 100 yards down the road and turned back knowing I shouldnt have gotten dressed in the first place.

Simon - Awesome that you and your son get to run together.  Feel you on the youth thing.  I wish I had started this years ago.

Regarding the input on Hansons - I am pretty sure I can hit the LR paces after the tempos if I keep the easy Saturday run at the slowest end of the easy paces.  I am thinking of correcting my last goal and shooting for 3:30ish, which according to what I am looking at in the book should make all of the training paces doable. If this seems to get out of hand, I will just drop to 3:35 and Onemile and I can train together feeling each others pain.  I am questioning the 5K pace for intervals.  Am I to use my actual 5K pace or the pace recommended in the book for my goal MP?

PT ended up being consultation today, but she wants me to start coming in twice a week for graston and whatever else it takes to feel better.  Cant wait.  She did tell me that not running was not recommended, so thats fantastic!  Did 5 recovery miles today and plan to keep with last weeks motif and run 6 days this week.  Gonna try to get in that habit before MRT starts.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

mdawg - That's exciting that you've registered!  Let the fun begin! Smile  And yes, I'm thinking to try for it for my fall race!

jedi - I would assume it's ok to adjust for hills, provided your marathon is flat!

indi - Thanks for the words of encouragement.  And yes, the weather for Carmel couldn't have been better!  You're much faster than me but we can commiserate anyway!  Run your actual 5k paces - they tell you to do that in the book.  They are v02 max workouts so you want to run them at your real 5k pace.  Which reminds me, I should run a 5k before starting fall marathon training!

Rusk Runner

One mile - Much faster?  Last I checked, our 26.2 PR is the same.  It is so unfortunate that my 5K of choice (hometown thing) is in the heat of  July and has hills that will piss a person off.  One of these days I will run a 5K in cool weather on a flat course.  I actually just read that about the  5K paces right before logging on.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Adjust it for weather.  Do you know the approximate heat index?  I can give you the equivalent 5K time based on that.

One mile - Much faster?  Last I checked, our 26.2 PR is the same.  It is so unfortunate that my 5K of choice (hometown thing) is in the heat of  July and has hills that will piss a person off.  One of these days I will run a 5K in cool weather on a flat course.  I actually just read that about the  5K paces right before logging on.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Onemile, I think you could shoot for a BQ. The advantage you have is that you've been through the program before, so you know what kind of signs to be looking for, especially once you get into those Strength and Tempo runs.

Indi, I would encourage you to do your Speed at 5k. But for my fall race, I'm gonna do the longer intervals at HM pace, which lines up with my goal in the chart provided in the book--mostly because I want to steer clear from becoming overtrained again.

Mdawg, how exciting!

Zoe, is this the same calf injury you've been dealing with? Get better!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

I couldn't take it anymore as my Yoga was just way too boring so I got out for 5.6 GA miles @ 9:48.  Legs felt very strong, but i've definitely lost some fitness and I don't have a single carb in me so struggled a bit, HR's way up there.  Right ITB was screaming at me after mile 4 so maybe a bit too much too quick but felt incredible to get back out there and just run.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Josh, I know how you feel. My LR on Sunday was basically out of frustration, although I'm frustrated for different reasons. Get well my man!

I couldn't take it anymore as my Yoga was just way too boring so I got out for 5.6 GA miles @ 9:48.  Legs felt very strong, but i've definitely lost some fitness and I don't have a single carb in me so struggled a bit, HR's way up there.  Right ITB was screaming at me after mile 4 so maybe a bit too much too quick but felt incredible to get back out there and just run.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Canuck

Cbus - no, it's just my balky calves acting up as usual.  They are actually at their worst when I'm running off and on, as they tighten up.  They'll get better once my mileage increases.  My injury was actually a slightly displaced femoral head - where the femur connects to the knee it was off slightly.

Speaking of calf muscles, I was pleasantly surprised with how my legs felt on my run this evening.  This was the first time I'd run consecutive days in a couple of months, but my soleus loosened up nicely and I was able to run 6 instead of the 5 I was planning.  I actually ran the last two miles in 9:07 and 8:50 which was nice.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

josh - nice to see you back out there

onemile - as everyone else has said, I definitely think you can make up 7 more minutes with another training cycle. Question - I see that you ran your long runs at a pace closer to 9:05 min miles. I am thinking that if everything goes well over the next couple months, that I will train with the Hanson's Advanced plan with a 3:45 target. Looking at the paces in the book it looks like 9:18 is listed. Any reason you decided to go a little faster?

mdawg - good luck on the BQ-5!

jedi - took me a second to comprehend, "my don's bday," in your response to mdawg. The Godfather on TV in the background?

Indi - Yes, I think the intent is to run at your 5k pace, but the race equivalency info is listed there just for FYI.

Even though I felt a little tired from yesterday and thought about an URD, the weather was too nice to pass up. We haven't had many 60deg and sunny days yet, so I went out for a slow 5 miles and didn't feel too bad. Still more tired than I would like, but hopefully a good night's sleep will help that.

It is making me wonder if my half marathon training plan for the June 9th race is going to tire me out too much. I was a little inconsistent and lazy training for the April 7th race, until about 4 weeks before. At that point Io started to follow a modified version of the last 4 weeks of the Hanson's plan, making sure to do the Strength and Tempo days in a hilly course at Half Marathon related speeds. I had to take extra days off since I wasn't used to the volume yet. It ended up working out, and my thought is that I do essentially the same thing leading up to the race in June, but not take any extra days off. My thinking is that if I can do that, then I should be in really good shape (or dead tired) for the half marathon, and marathon paced based workouts in the next cycle (although the mileage will be a little higher) will be easy. Anyone think that is too much? My though is just to pay attention and if I am wearing myself out then slow down or take an additional rest day.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

onemile

Indi - yes, you are faster! Just because your last race didn't go as well as it could have due to injury doesn't change that!

cbus - I do think it will help having been through the program and knowing how the paces felt last time will be useful for sure.

Nick - very observant :P  I actually was using 8:30 as my MP so I chose the range 9:06-9:18 for my LR pace window (that is the 3:40-3:45 range from Hansons chart). But then I have this thing that I do where I always shoot for the faster end of paces for stuff and ended up running them closer to 9-9:05.  (It ended up being ok but I wouldn't advise you to do the same! Use the paces from the book!)

Zoe - glad your run went well tonight!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Zoe - nice run!

Josh- good luck with the ITBS- its a pain in the butt but can be overcome- i had it for months

Indiana- good luck with the graston/PT...calves are a pain Sad

Onemile- our training paces are about the same - makes me wonder if i can get into that 3:40-3:45 range as well...its what my half predicts, so fingers crossed!

Gotta get up early and run tomorrow! Spin was good tonight.  I've been rungry since my long run lol.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 miles tonight.

Josh, feel better!

zoekat, great comeback!

Nick, it will depend on your base prior to you becoming "lazy", as you put it.  If your base is strong, the modifications and the days off won't affect you as much.  I would try the plan but listening to your body in case you need to modify.

Sprinkles, hi!

Damaris