Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Rusk Runner

cbus = Conservative yes, wimpy no.  You have gone through alot on your journey to sub 4.  Do what it takes and do not over-do it.  The peak isnt what gets you however, it is the overall average and whats tucked in there in speed.  And I have been saying for a long time (in complete agreement onemile) I think Hansons is easier on the eyes, not the legs.  I think Pfitz is majorly simple in approach and is easier to manuever around to how you are feeling at the time.  Hansons offers very little leeway to jumbling things around.

Josh - WELCOME BACK!

Put fresh blueberries and mulberries in my oatmeal this morning.  Picked them last night from the yard.  Looks like I may get a little rain while out on the road today.  That will be another first.  I am feeling some DOMS  this morning but it is from household work, not cycling.  I put up some trellis on the lower part of the deck and on DW's carport.

Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there.  I think (know) that I will be downloading Black Sabbath's new disc today.  Can hardly wait!  Black Sabbath is about my all time favorite band.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  Just back from 8 easy with DH.  Gorgeous weather this a.m.  Loving this lower humidity while it lasts.  90 degrees feels so much better that way!

cbus/indy/onemile:  I agree completely that Hansons is no easier than Pfitz or any other program.  I chose it because the paces for speed work and tempos were just a tad bit more moderate.  Plus, like onemile's ITB, the lack of long slow 20 milers seems better for my chronic tight calves.  The more aggressive Pfitz paces, combined with a jump in overall mileage (including base building), was what got me.  Just wasn't ready for that and my body finally said NO MORE 5 weeks out from Chicago.  So wimpy?  I don't think so.

Josh:  Welcome back!

Go Docket and Dark Street!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

To clarify, i wasn't calling the Beginners plan wimpy. I was referring to my self. Failed attempt at a bad joke. Anyway, I went through almost the entire Hansons half plan. And now I believe if I didn't get sick, I would've finished it. And that Half plan is the Beginners plan except with a LR - 4 miles and with much faster paces. That's why I thought Advanced was doable. But now I'm thinking I should just do what I know I can do, and add some quality in the first four weeks and maybe an easy mile or two. With my last two races in mind, idrather go into raceday feeling strong and slightly less challenged than on the edge and challenged. Plus, I think I'm still legitimately a beginner. Until I havea successful race or plateau at 55ish  mpw peak, I don't think I should try increasing my mileage.

Anyway, off for my LR--hope I don't get caught in a thunderstorm!

SF racers, smash it!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Good day donuts !  looking forward to hearing from our marathoners in SF.  I hope the hills are friendly - I wonder if the world's "crookedest street" is part of the race- I drove it once - lol !

Me - Finished my 10K today in 49:30 - a minute better than last year and almost identical to my race a few weeks ago. Only new item to report - a runner was running next to me at mile 2 - I could tell neither myself or him had energy to pass each other - so we decided to run the whole race together ! LOL - first time running a race alongside someone. We kept pushing each other which was cool - it allowed me to hit my goal for today

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Finished 13 @ 9:35 pace to give me 44 for the week. In related news, I'm an idiot. I keep saying MRT doesn't start for a few weeks. I checked my calendar. It starts tomorrow. So Hansons Beginner here I come!

Dtf, donuts on the 10k!

Happy running all!

onemile

For what it's worth, I've heard from a few runners who I respect that Hansons is actually a harder plan than the Pfitz plans because you have so many runs that have a designated pace.  And I've seen Hansons Advanced compared to Pfitz 18/70 and the Beginner to Pfitz 18/55.  Pfitz might be slightly more miles but you get so many more easy runs.  Hansons is sort of relentless.

But like Mdawg, I don't think I can handle all the 20 milers of Pfitz.  Maybe someday but I think I'd be more likely to end up injured. And after doing Hansons last winter/spring with some success, I feel a lot more comfortable skipping the long runs.  And in fact, I don't really know that I enjoy running for 3+ hours anyway, so skipping them is nice in a way.  That's not to say I won't do a plan with a ton of 20 milers in the future if I think it will help me. But right now I'm not sure it's what I need to 1) get faster and 2) stay uninjured.

Cbus, you still didn't answer me (unless I missed it) - what goal time are you planning to target?

Rusk Runner

Wow.  54.18 miles on the bike today.  Averaged about 16 mph and kept my HR @ recovery level.

cbus - Rock it.  And I didnt think you were calling the program wimpy, I thought you were calling yourself wimpy.  I got the joke and intended to tell you that you are not wimpy.  You are running stronger now than you have since I have been hanging around.  Rock it Buddy.  You got this next race in the bag!

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Cbus:  I too thought you were calling yourself wimpy and not the program.  Which, for the record, is not correct!  You've successfully battled back from injury and have built a nice solid base.  Nothing wimpy about that.

Indy:  Glad you are enjoying the bike.  DH leaves Friday for his Colorado bike trip.  500ish miles across the state.  He can't wait!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Thanks for the votes of confidence. I will try to rock it, indeed.

Onemile, I'm aiming for 9:00 pace, which comes out, I think, to 3:55. But I'm okay with slower too--I just want a strong race.

And I was the guy wearing nothing unique or recognizable. Tough but good race. I think I was around 3:48 so I'm happy.Hanging at the hot tub.

Just checking in to say - yep that was me at the bridge.  Nice to sort-of meet you.  Hope you had a good race!

Awesome!  Will be looking for you.  I will be wearing a bright pink marathon maniac shirt And rock and roll arm warmers (black with a skull on top), if that helps.

onemile

Okay - that's what I thought.  Beginner's plan with a little added mileage will serve you well. You're picking a really conservative goal so I think you'll do just fine.

Onemile, I'm aiming for 9:00 pace, which comes out, I think, to 3:55. But I'm okay with slower too--I just want a strong race.

MA runner girl

I had a great 6 miler tonight! My longest post baby. I ran negative splits averaging 9:38mm. Finished the week with 15 miles. I will take it.

Dark Streets - Awesome! Congrats on a great time.

DTF - Nice 10k!

I will have to check out this Hanson's plan I have heard so much about on this board! I plan on MRT again in a year, and with a toddler no 20 milers sounds appealing to me. I'm sure 3+ hour runs are going to be harder to fit in.

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes!  I saw you!  Congrats!

Mine was not as fast but coming in faster than LA (which was an easier course) shows how great I am doing.

Having said that, a marathon or two a month has been hard and the times so show.  Still, I am attempting something even harder next season.  Still, happy with this season and the 10 marathons I ran.

Waving hello.  Going off to dinner on very tired legs.

And I was the guy wearing nothing unique or recognizable. Tough but good race. I think I was around 3:48 so I'm happy.Hanging at the hot tub.

Just checking in to say - yep that was me at the bridge.  Nice to sort-of meet you.  Hope you had a good race!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You will rock it.  And I think the paces are conservative but I think it might be what you need after a couple of tough months earlier this year (or late last year).  Good luck!

I will probably try Hanson for next years' PR attempt.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Congrats Darkstreets and Docket!  Are you attempting another ultra next year, Docket?  If so, that will probably make two of us.  I have decided I may well do an ultra on the bike also, as suggested by amik.

SRD for me today.  Possible chiro (hopefully).  Hopefully MRI results.

Just Run!!!