Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

akalei

Indi: love the stinger waffles!  Strawberry especially.  Do you have a (what would be) run miles to bike miles ratio that helps you at all?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

akalei - No I dont.  Actually with cycling being new to me I just started going by time and effort.  I found that on Hilly terrain (same as what I run on), I can comfortably ride 21 miles in about 1 hour and 10 - 20 minutes.  So 16 to 22 miles became my base riding.  The long rides are just seeing how long I can go at an easy and consistent pace without pooping out or injuring myself.  I have been out to 54 miles and I know I can do more but, why overdo it that soon?

I have only tried the honey waffle and I love it.  I want to try some of the other flavors.  I am going to the post exchange today to see if they will price match running warehouse.  If so, I am going to buy a box of the honey waffles.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Well, I am 75% sure that I am going to make a run (pun intended) at the Hanson Beginners. Training doesn't start until September but I want to run this by the donuts for more input. I am currently averaging 33-35 mpw (and have been for a number of months) with some weeks reaching 40-41. I have not made it to the start of a marathon yet due to a foot injury last year. I used the Higdon Int I last year and ran my longest LR of 17 miles. I am currently running 7 days per week until July 4 (RW Challenge) and will resume 5/6 days per week after July 4th. Like many, I have a weird work/travel schedule that may leave me struggling to make 100% of my runs. I have completed 3 HMs and a 25K over the past year to year and a half. I understand the "confidence in your plan" logic but would like more input/critique/concerns/etc before I make the decision 100%. Which plan do the donuts think Rollcast would fair best with. McMillian (with a few minutes added for first FM) puts me at a 4:00 - 4:02 finish.

Hal Higdon Int I

Hal Higdon Int II

Hanson

Pfitz

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

bagopux

I wash everything in cold and line dry it all.  Never had a problem with aromas, and I can sweat up a storm.  Every once in a while my straps for my hand bottles or the strap for my iPod sends up a stench.  I just wash it in warm water and detergent and its fine.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Let me know how it goes.  I don't think I can drop 45 pounds which is what that book recommends for me.

Oh I forgot to mention. I finally bought that Racing Weight book.  I've been using the DQS scoring chart the last week.  So we'll see. I think I like counting calories better because it makes me feel more in control but the concepts in this book make sense.  My only problem is the diet soda. I lasted about 3 days before I started drinking it again.

mdawg - thanks. enjoy the rest.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

QOTM: I wash everything with my regular clothes but I mostly use cold water.  I don't have where to hung dry, so I use heat to dry.  What I do every so often is to wash the running clothes in a bit of water and instead of detergent I use white vinegar (I think the process is called brining) until the clothes no longer smell stinky.  Then, I wash them with regular detergent and they are good to go for a bit longer.

I am back at the office and had my allergy shot.  I actually feel a bit better already, hoping the asthma clears itself in a few days.

Damaris

After I run I hang up my wet clothes the first chance I get.  When I run in the morning before work the first chance I get to hang them up is when I go home for lunch.  That lets them dry.  If they're dry they won't give off any odor.  The next morning I'll throw them in with the dirty clothes which I wash once a week using cold water.  I just dump all my clothes together.  The only things I don't throw in the dryer are the technical running shirts the labels of which suggest air drying to keep from damaging their moisture wicking properties.  So, I just hang them up in the closet, still damp from the washer.

mdawg87

Roll:  onemile is probably the best one to answer this question since she completed a Hansons program and had a successful race.  But, I'll throw my 2 cents in as well.  Your base is right where mine was going into the program (about 35 mpw).  I just continued on with that until the quality work began in week 6.  As noted in an earlier discussion with cbus, the first 4 weeks are lower mileage base building. It's recommended in the book you continue on with what you're currently running if you're higher than that already.  And like you, I'm also coming off an injury.  I tried Pfitz 18/55 for Chicago but it got me injured since I just wasn't ready for all that hard quality and mileage increase.  Others have had success using Pfitz so it's obviously a great program.  Even though Hansons has just as many miles or more, I like all the marathon pace miles, slightly slower quality work, and lack of long slow 20 milers in the heat of summer.    So...my opinion is give Hansons a shot.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Hey mdawg87, I just registered for the Silver Comet Marathon on Saturday, Oct 26th.  Time for you to get in! (at least for the half if not the full).  There is a price increase after the end of this month.

I hear you!  DH and I are going plan out the rest of our race calendar when he returns from CO this weekend.  I'm seriously interested in this as it's the closest thing we have to a flat race around here.  It would definitely only be the half for me though.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

sprinkles - yes, Pfitz 18/55 - i'm on week 16 - just did the 10 mile run tonight. Are you on week 16 too ?

indy - I was going to run in my shorter running shorts that I bought earlier this year (we had talked about brands)- however all my stuff - gu's, small wallet, ipod in the pockets ride on top of the leg.  So i changed back to UA heat gear - the pockets ride more to the side of the leg.  This is of course for shorter runs (like under 13 miles). Larger than that, I wear my amphipod belt and I can put all the stuff in there. I may still try the shorter running gear for a short run or something and see if I like it

bago - do you notice your weight staying up with the electrolyte pills (water retention)? or is more for cramp prevention ? I use it for cramp prevention too but am debating limiting it during the actual race - maybe just take 1 at mile 16 or 20?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Smashy!!!

Roll, I think you'll be fine with Hansons. But don't underestimate what 50+ mpw can do to you. So keep the easy days EASY.

Pure Flow users, I know a lot you use the Pure Flow, or other Pure line shoes. Question: do you wear socks or are they meant to be worn sockless?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Roll, I think you'll be fine with Hansons. But don't underestimate what 50+ mpw can do to you. So keep the easy days EASY.

Pure Flow users, I know a lot you use the Pure Flow, or other Pure line shoes. Question: do you wear socks or are they meant to be worn sockless?

CBus - Thanks for the input. The book showed up today. Pure project, I run in the connect and wear socks.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Pureflows - With socks.  I mostly wear experia socks but when I think it might get wet I go with injinji toe socks.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have the Connects and the Flows.  I use regular socks (or compression socks with them).  I use an old pair of Cadence to do errands and stuff and one day I wore them sockless.  I don't recommend not wearing socks, as the insides just chafed me badly (and I was just walking around).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, and morning!  I must still be half asleep.

5 and weights tonight.  Asthma is still around, bah.

Damaris