Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

DTF- There is an expo.  from my understanding Cleveland is a pretty big race (not the size of Philly or NY), but there is an expo and busing and all that jazz organized, plus an after party.  I'm looking forward to going to the expo and checking it out.  It is going to be a bit warmer than expected, but the breeze should help.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

bagopux

Question - do any of you find yourself analyzing your current workouts to similar workouts from exactly a year ago ? I say this for folks following the same training plans a year apart. My training cycles and plans are roughly identical to last year.  I keep going back to mine to see if I can "beat" my workout times from last year. I'm not sure if this is healthy - lol - or maybe good since i'm pushing myself - I need 7 minutes ! what are your thoughts?

Personally, I don't think it makes sense in most instances to just use the same plan over again and just do it harder.  From year to year, you need to evaluate what your goals are and where you fall short of them and then use a plan (or create one) that meets your needs.  Most people's needs change from year to year depending on things like goals, injuries, available time, base fitness level and things like that.  That being said, yes I do compare similar runs over time, but it is difficult to do because you have to take into account terrain, weather, fatigue, effort and the like.  If I did 10 miles at 9:00 per last year and then did 10 miles at 9:00 per this year on the same course and with the same weather does that mean I didn't improve?  Maybe not, if my HR was 3 bpm lower this year maybe I improved a lot, or maybe 3 bpm is just within the noise created by fatigue.  Its hard to tell.  But I do compare.

Jedi, yeah, it would be fun to see what Wheeler can do, but its not like we're going to be playing in October -- we have exactly one player hitting over .250 in the starting lineup -- so no need to rush things.

Question, I use my new CamelBak this weekend and I had a real hard time with the bite valve.  Its the standard cheapo valve and for the life of me I could not draw much through it.  Every mile or so I had to literally walk for 30-45 seconds while I sucked on the thing and still never felt like I got enough.  I ended up dropping about 6 lbs on a 12 mile run due to dehydration and it was only 85F.  Does anybody have any recommendations on how to deal with this?  Maybe a recommendation for a replacement valve?

So, my tendonitis never really seemed to go away so now I have self-imposed several consecutive URDs to deal with it.  It seems to be improving now.  Hopefully I can kick it by the weekend when I'm supposed to start my MCM training plan.  Been doing a lot of cycling and weights at the gym instead of running.

Happy running y'all.

I too keep track of certain workouts which I do over the same route. As I have no heart monitor I just run by perceived effort, so its not very scientific, but I do feel it gives me a sense of how close I am to being ready to race.

These are the "tests" I use, always on the same piece of road:

1) One mile time trial.

2) Ten mile tempo.

3) Warmup for 8k then 5k hard tempo.

The 10 mile probably is most accurate, at least for longer races.

Bago, that's a lot of water weight to lose!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

onemile

Jedi - Nice. I just hit 1000 yesterday too.  I found by the time the LR's got to 16, that pace was my new easy pace so it was not bad at all. But I don't know how quickly your LRs build up since you're using a harder plan.

cbus - nice on the 4.

mdawg - might as well book it now - you can always cancel.

bago - are you removing all the air from the camelbak?

I just did an easy 6 last night. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 for tonight.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

jenny - I start at 15m first few weeks and move up to 16 for few more, 18 for a few more and 20 for last 5 weeks before taper. Different then book as i do 10m@MP a few times along way. Excited to get it going though. My easy pace right now not too off from 8:00. 8:15-8:25 usually and more like 8:05-8:10 on a day I am feeling rested.

Jedi - Nice. I just hit 1000 yesterday too.  I found by the time the LR's got to 16, that pace was my new easy pace so it was not bad at all. But I don't know how quickly your LRs build up since you're using a harder plan. 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  10 miles this morning.  Big scare when I got home and almost passed out.  I have not been eating and sleeping well so I am stupid.  Weights and a run/walk with hubby later.

Damaris

bagopux

bago - are you removing all the air from the camelbak?

i did not.  i was not i aware i was supposed to.  didn't come with any directions really.  but, it was pretty full so there was not a lot of air in it to begin with, but there was some.

yeah, simon, it was a lot of water to lose.  it was kinda surprising when i got on the scale and then it was real apparent why i completely bogged down during the run.

onemile

Tip it upside down, the air will come to the top. Suck all of the air out the tube.  And see if that helps.  I know it prevents sloshing at least.

i did not.  i was not i aware i was supposed to.  didn't come with any directions really.  but, it was pretty full so there was not a lot of air in it to begin with, but there was some.

bagopux

Tip it upside down, the air will come to the top. Suck all of the air out the tube.  And see if that helps.  I know it prevents sloshing at least.

good tip.  i will try it. thanks.

cmb4314

Bago - I use my Camelbak a lot, and I've never had a problem getting enough water out of it, even if I didn't bother to suck the air out.  And I never even have to bite down on the bite valve, I just suck on it like a straw and it's happy.  I get about as much out of the straw as I'd expect to given it's diameter.

Have you tried drinking from it while not running?  I wonder if you're getting a kink in it somewhere when you have the bladder smooshed in the backpack.  Also, make sure the little yellow switch on the valve is totally open.  If that all works, you might have a defective bite valve - like, maybe they didn't cut the opening big enough.   It really shouldn't be hard to get water out in my experience.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

bagopux

Bago - I use my Camelbak a lot, and I've never had a problem getting enough water out of it, even if I didn't bother to suck the air out.  And I never even have to bite down on the bite valve, I just suck on it like a straw and it's happy.  I get about as much out of the straw as I'd expect to given it's diameter.

Have you tried drinking from it while not running?  I wonder if you're getting a kink in it somewhere when you have the bladder smooshed in the backpack.  Also, make sure the little yellow switch on the valve is totally open.  If that all works, you might have a defective bite valve - like, maybe they didn't cut the opening big enough.   It really shouldn't be hard to get water out in my experience.

Thanks much. Its good to know that its supposed to work better than it did, because if that was the way its supposed to be, I'd say I'm glad it was a freebie because I wouldn't have paid a dime for it.  Now that I know it should work better I'll set about diagnosing it.

DetroitTigerFan

Personally, I don't think it makes sense in most instances to just use the same plan over again and just do it harder.  From year

Question, I use my new CamelBak this weekend and I had a real hard time with the bite valve.  Its the standard cheapo valve and for the life of me I could not draw much through it.  Every mile or so I had to literally walk for 30-45 seconds while I sucked on the thing and still never felt like I got enough.  I ended up dropping about 6 lbs on a 12 mile run due to dehydration and it was only 85F.  Does anybody have any recommendations on how to deal with this?  Maybe a recommendation for a replacement valve?

Bago - can you see water going up the tube ? (is it th tube or valve not working) is the tube kinked anywhere (is it too long)? maybe try putting a q-tip through the ends of the bite valve and see if they touch each other.   One thing i'll tell you - I've used Camelbak warranty on their website - they are fantastic about replacing defective items.  Don't purchase a new valve - go use their warranty link on their website. hope this helps

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have no suggestions for you, bago, since I only used my Camel Bak once and cleaned it and forgot about it.

4 additional miles, 2 with DH.  No passing out this time but was starving, which proves my theory that I didn't have enough to eat yesterday, ran 10 on 3 hours of sleep and almost passed out.  STUPID!

Damaris

bagopux

Bago - can you see water going up the tube ? (is it th tube or valve not working) is the tube kinked anywhere (is it too long)? maybe try putting a q-tip through the ends of the bite valve and see if they touch each other.   One thing i'll tell you - I've used Camelbak warranty on their website - they are fantastic about replacing defective items.  Don't purchase a new valve - go use their warranty link on their website. hope this helps

There is water going through the tube.  Gonna check it for kinks and such pretty thoroughly.  Its actually not a CamelBak brand, its Kelty, but the build quality seems pretty good other than the bite valve issue.  Hey, I got it for free for pacing so I'm not gonna complain too much,

7 more miles. I pulled an Mdawg and did it on the TM since it was 105 here this evening. Headed back to Houston in the morning.

But I passed these up at lunch mmmmm Cinnabun

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27