Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Remind me tonight and I'll send it to you.

You mentioned it, but as far as I know never sent either the sheet or a link.  If you did, I missed it.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I found these charts, RVD.  I would use the first chart to calculate the heat index (counting dewpoint) and then use my coach's chart to adjust accordingly.

http://www.weatherimages.org/data/heatindex.html

Damaris

bagopux

I found these charts, RVD.  I would use the first chart to calculate the heat index (counting dewpoint) and then use my coach's chart to adjust accordingly.

RVD - I think somewhere I have the heat index formula written out for Excel and in PHP if you want it.

Yep, these charts must be from Miami.  They only start at 90F!

Am also looking at this one.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Sprinkles, AWESOME race!!! You're awesome, just awesome. What did you think of the hills? Not bad? The medal is always cool at Cleveland, and the whole rock n' roll theme. But yeah, May in OH can be murder heat/humidity wise. But awesome job. Go treat yourself to a new pair of Lululemon shorts!

DTF, great race to man! Hope it gives you motivation heading into MRT.

Mdawg, Go Kings Go!

Finished last week with 40-42ish miles. The plug attachment of my Garmin charger fell off at home unbeknownst to me. So I've been running Garmin-less. Got in 5ish recovery miles today.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What?  There are temps under 90F? Joking

Yep, these charts must be from Miami.  They only start at 90F!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job.  How do you feel Garminless? I've never tried it because it freaked me out.  I spent 10 years without a Garmin and now I don't know how I even ran then.

Hey all,

Sprinkles, AWESOME race!!! You're awesome, just awesome. What did you think of the hills? Not bad? The medal is always cool at Cleveland, and the whole rock n' roll theme. But yeah, May in OH can be murder heat/humidity wise. But awesome job. Go treat yourself to a new pair of Lululemon shorts!

DTF, great race to man! Hope it gives you motivation heading into MRT.

Mdawg, Go Kings Go!

Finished last week with 40-42ish miles. The plug attachment of my Garmin charger fell off at home unbeknownst to me. So I've been running Garmin-less. Got in 5ish recovery miles today.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For that, you would need to know the heat index.  And as you know from the link I attached, there are two calculations.  I would use one with dewpoint related into the heat index.  Thanks for sharing!  Saving it now.

And it must have been written by fast people.  I never run under 11mm and that's not even in the chart, boo.

Am also looking at this one.

Damaris

What?  There are temps under 90F? Joking

The temps along the top go from 90 to 105.  The dew point goes from 65 to 82, and the relative humidity goes from 30 to 90.  The calculator would probably allow a greater range.  I was just talking about the table.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I meant, there are temps under 90F around the world?  LOL.

The temps along the top go from 90 to 105.  The dew point goes from 65 to 82, and the relative humidity goes from 30 to 90.  The calculator would probably allow a greater range.  I was just talking about the table.

Damaris

For that, you would need to know the heat index.  And as you know from the link I attached, there are two calculations.  I would use one with dewpoint related into the heat index.  Thanks for sharing!  Saving it now.

And it must have been written by fast people.  I never run under 11mm and that's not even in the chart, boo.

For that table you said you were saving, this table actually shows the percentages, so instead of using 5:00 per mile as is done here, you could just plug in your own pace and/or construct your own table.  Got this one here.

Heat Index Total Performance Change Sample Adjustments to Pace
                              Per Mile

Per K

120F +16.33% 5:49 3:36.9
                          110 F +12.00% 5:36 3:28.8
                          100 F +8.33% 5:25 3:22.0
                          90 F +5.33% 5:16 3:16.4
                          80 F +3.00% 5:09 3:12.0
                          70 F +1.66% 5:05 3:09.5
                          60 F +.33% 5:01 3:07.0
                          50 F 0% 5:00 3:06.4
                          40 F +.33% 5:01 3:07.0
                          30 F +1.66% 5:05 3:09.5
                          20F +3.00% 5:09 3:12:0
                          10F +5.33% 5:16 3:16.4
                          0F +8.33% 5:25 3:22.0
                          Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've always had a problem with mm and %s.  I assume it's easier to just convert to seconds, calculate the increase and convert back to mms?

Edited: Although I find it hard to believe that 100F would only make you slower only 0:25mm. I slow down that way for 80F.

Damaris

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Jedi- Thanks - My body forced me to run a smart race - it just gave up on me.  The second I got across the finish line I started to shiver, which is probably a bad sign.  I'm feeling the after-effects today.

Ami/ Docket - It's hellish, especially when it decides to be painful!  I couldn't eat properly the day before or hydrate well as a result- but I ate a lot of salt.  Didn't matter either way this time - although it raises your core temp EVEN MORE.

Bago- I just sort of gave up in increments.  First I said, ok modify goal time.  Then I said, forget goal time.

DTF- Congrats on your race!

Docket- that heat index thing had us at 98-103 EW

Rollcast- I feel like crap today - my quads are shredded differently than ever before - they hurt the whole race, partially from dehydration I think...and where I had side stitches and cramps is STILL cramped.  My whole body feels hot.

Today is a rest day, as you can imagine.  Got in at midnight last night and just passed right out.  I am working from home because I left my wallet in my father in law's car last night and have no way to pay for a card to get to work on the subway.  I feel a bit distracted and out of it, partially due to lack of sleep and partially due to what is probably a headache related to the heat.  My whole body feels HOT.  I'm sitting in front of a fan and an air conditioner in booty shorts and a sports bra guzzling cold beverages.

One note of comic relief: I HAVE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER TO EAT SALAD.

I'm working on getting over my disappointment.  I don't feel that I can put this medal on the wall with the rest - I didn't run a marathon.  I ran 22 miles and did a hobby jog-walk to the end..which to me, doesn't count as a race effort.  I will give you an idea of what the shade level was on the course after mile 13 ..here is a pic of me with my shirt wrapped around my neck to keep me cool just before mile 26, right before I threw it aside (a volunteer or spectator or someone saw that i had thrown it at DH and gave it to him and I got it back).  My husband actually thought I was hurt and was really upset when he finally did see me at the finish line...apparently I have a reputation of never giving up.  This time it would have been stupid not to.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Mile 25.7 ish

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Since I run most of my marathons for fun, I would hang my medal up with pride.

Damaris