Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Joann Y

Good morning! New here and trying to catch up with all the conversations. Maybe it's better to just jump in. Nice to see such an active group...donuts! What does that mean, donuts? Haven't figured it out yet. But I know I really like donuts Wink

I've been running nice and steady since last June (no injuries) slowly increasing mileage now averaging 25-30 and getting up to 35 miles a week. Was wanting to go for a sub 4 marathon in October (Chicago), my first marathon, and will start the Pfitz 18/55 in June. In the meantime, I was going to do a Pfitz 12/55 as training for a half marathon in May. This would be a no pressure sort of thing for myself but want to get a feel for higher mileage and some of the Pfitz workouts. Does this sound dumb? Taking on too much?

Think I'm on the treadmill today, 25 mile per hour winds in Chicago, yikes!

Joann

Smashy!!!

Jyo, welcome!!!

If you like donuts, you'll fit right in. (One day, we all started talking about how much we love donuts, and then we started using it as a catch all phrase for thinks like "congrats," and "good luck," and "you're cool," and the rest is history.)

I'll let other sounds off on your plans, but Pfitz 12/55 is pretty intense for a half.

Good morning! New here and trying to catch up with all the conversations. Maybe it's better to just jump in. Nice to see such an active group...donuts! What does that mean, donuts? Haven't figured it out yet. But I know I really like donuts Wink

I've been running nice and steady since last June (no injuries) slowly increasing mileage now averaging 25-30 and getting up to 35 miles a week. Was wanting to go for a sub 4 marathon in October (Chicago), my first marathon, and will start the Pfitz 18/55 in June. In the meantime, I was going to do a Pfitz 12/55 as training for a half marathon in May. This would be a no pressure sort of thing for myself but want to get a feel for higher mileage and some of the Pfitz workouts. Does this sound dumb? Taking on too much?

Think I'm on the treadmill today, 25 mile per hour winds in Chicago, yikes!

Joann

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Dang, Onemile, are you calling me out againAngry...Cry...Disapprove...Sad...

twice in one day...morning...hour.Cool Chuck Norris wouldn't get called out he would turn it into a teachable moment (I am terrible at Chuck-liners). This did make me laugh though.

Welcome Jyocom

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

twice in one day...morning...hour.Cool Chuck Norris wouldn't get called out he would turn it into a teachable moment (I am terrible at Chuck-liners). This did make me laugh though.

Welcome Jyocom

When Chuck Norris gets sick, the virus takes a day off! But, yeah, Onemile is a tough one... who would win in a fight between Chuck and Onemile?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Onemile...for sure.

Damaris

onemile

Really? Do you even have to ask??  Big grin

When Chuck Norris gets sick, the virus takes a day off! But, yeah, Onemile is a tough one... who would win in a fight between Chuck and Onemile?

Welcome jyocom!  I would think your half marathon training would benefit from more speedwork than getting beat up doing 20 milers.

Tricia - sounds like you are in a good place to start marathon training! Nice miles so far this week!

Trail Monster

Morning all. Just stopping by to remind everyone to be aware and safe on their runs. I got 1 mile into my run this morning and was attacked by a loose dog. I'm fine but there's no owner to be found and the dog was still running loose on the trail when the cops arrived. The police and the dog catcher are trying to catch him but so far no luck. I'm buying a new pepper spray today! And now I'm off to the treadmill to finish what I started.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

cmb4314

Welcome, JoAnn!

I'm not sure about Pfitz 12/55 as a HM plan - I think it actually looks more challenging than 18/55, since it takes most of the hardest workouts, and compresses them into a shorter plan so you don't get as much of a build up period to adapt.

If you're worried about starting Pfitz, one of the things that I found to be most helpful to do ahead of time was to get used to doing a medium-long run in the middle of the week.  A month or so out from starting the plan, I started doing a ~10 mile run in the middle of the week, in addition to the 10-12 I was doing on the weekend.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Morning all. Just stopping by to remind everyone to be aware and safe on their runs. I got 1 mile into my run this morning and was attacked by a loose dog. I'm fine but there's no owner to be found and the dog was still running loose on the trail when the cops arrived. The police and the dog catcher are trying to catch him but so far no luck. I'm buying a new pepper spray today! And now I'm off to the treadmill to finish what I started.

Thats nuts. Glad youre okay. Any bite marks? if so, maybe get tests run for blood borne illnesses.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Banshee - hope you're ok. Same thing happened to me last summer. A owner was not paying attention and dog got away from him and pounced on my calves and landed on both my knees and scraped up pretty bad. I dusted myself off and kept on running. Knees hurt for a bit, but was OK. I hate dog owners who don't pay attention like that. I'm a lot more cautious around dogs when running now.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Banshee, hope you are okay! That's some scary stuff.

White Lightning

Sprinkles – Its not going to be anything like your spin classes but its so low impact i think its a great rest day recovery. My max HR is 194 ish and I had troubles getting it over 125 before my muscles in my legs were too tired to keep going.  You could do intervals to get it higher from what i've seen on you tube.

Indi – nope, but I'll get out this afternoon

joann – Welcome!!

Banshee - <sigh> that's too bad, hope you're okay

Me – session with my chiro went well this morning. Mostly hip and ankle work and wasn't nearly as bad as she warned me about. No graston, says I don't need it but we did ART on the hips, calves and hamstrings. At the beginning of the 30 minute session when I tried to touch my toes, I was about 10 inches from finger tips to the floor. After the session, my hands were flat on the floor. She told me to run today so I'll get out later this afternoon.

Play the Game Hard!

akalei

Dogs seem to be the theme of the week here, don't they?  Sorry to hear about your run, banshee, but I'm glad you're OK.

Suddenly, all the "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon" signs are coming back to me.  Based on that fact (and it has to be fact if it's on the internet, right?), onemile wins easily.  Chuck Norris comparisons aside, this made me think of Docket (being from FL and all):

I hope it worked... thanks to the stupid work internet, I can't see the picture once I paste it here! Also, don't ask me why a Chuck Norris joke turned into the world's most interesting man memes.... it's Friday.

Welcome, jyocom!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Canuck

Morning all.  Sorry for the lack of posting, but it has been a busy week and I've also been feeling crappy - not a cold or flu, just a bad case of (avert your eyes guys) PMS.  Super tired and also eating crap.  I actually lay down for a short nap after work on Tuesday and woke up at 10:30 pm - whoops!  Went back to bed at 11:30 and slept until 7, so probably about 12.5 hours total.  Guess I needed it.  Had another Graston session on Wednesday, he really went to town on my calves, broke out the "handlebars".  They were still sore on my run yesterday, I had to bail on the MP miles and just run easy.  Made sure to ice and wear my compression socks to bed last night.  Easy 7 on tap after work today.

Banshee - yikes, glad the dog didn't get you too badly.

Joann - welcome.  I'd echo some of the comments here that Pfitz 12/55 is probably too challenging for HM training, given that your base isn't that high.  If you want to combine base building with preparing for the HM, I would work on increasing your mileage into the low- mid 40s, and adding in a bit of speed work.  You don't need a lot, the biggest improvement will come from the increased weekly mileage.  You could alternate a tempo one week and then some VO2 max intervals the next week, with strides after a couple of easy runs.  That, plus adding in the weekly MLR of 10-12 miles will give you some amazing improvements.  You don't need 18-21 mile long runs for HM training, a few 14-16 milers plus lots of 10-12 milers would be plenty.  Over the course of marathon training last year, I improved my HM PR by 14 minutes and I did very little speed work, just the occasional tempo run plus some races.  The improvement was virtually all just more miles.  A program like this will have you prepared to tackle 18/55 in June.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Banshee, hope you're OK.

Well, I did run my last 20 miler before Berlin during a hurricane, so.....Big grin

Dogs seem to be the theme of the week here, don't they?  Sorry to hear about your run, banshee, but I'm glad you're OK.

Suddenly, all the "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon" signs are coming back to me.  Based on that fact (and it has to be fact if it's on the internet, right?), onemile wins easily.  Chuck Norris comparisons aside, this made me think of Docket (being from FL and all):

I hope it worked... thanks to the stupid work internet, I can't see the picture once I paste it here! Also, don't ask me why a Chuck Norris joke turned into the world's most interesting man memes.... it's Friday.

Welcome, jyocom!

Damaris