Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older

Time for a September thread. (Read 182 times)

Ran 7 miles with my son at a very slow pace today, he is training for ultras next year and takes it really easy on easy runs.

He did hills the day before, carry 5lb. hand weights. He says this makes you use your legs rather than swinging your arms to build momentum, or something.

I can see it would help give you stronger arms and shoulders which might be a good thing. Anyone tried it?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ran my last race in 55-59 on Labor Day and got 3rd in the age group.  Slowish 5K (28:26) partly due to the hard, hilly 17 miles on Saturday!   8 more days until I turn 60!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

#artbydmcbride

Good luck on turning Fifty-Ten, Hstreet!

SimonR, I haven't tried holding hand weights while running, but I have really wimpy arms anyway.  Big grin

Runners run

Happy birthday in advance, H Street!

Did you check out what your place would have been in 60-64?

Happy birthday in advance, H Street!

Did you check out what your place would have been in 60-64?

Of course!   Smile 2nd.  Someone was really fast. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Ran 13 k today, about 8 miles.

Some decent hills, took it easy the first 8kms, then tempo for the last 5k.

A better start to the month, but I need to get some consistent weeks of higher mileage, say in the 60-70km or 40 mile range.

How is everyone else doing?

old-runner

Good week for me except I kind of re-injured my right hamstring in today's race... gonna take it easy a few days and see how it goes. Had three races in the last 10 days and won the 60-64 age group in all 3... two 5k's (21:34 and 21:50) and a 10k (45:09). Won 3rd place Masters in today's race which was a nice surprise since the guys in their 40s usually dominate that. I'm supposed to run my 12th half marathon of the year next Saturday so I hope my hammy cooperates. Hope my luck's not running out!

Great results- you are certainly an active competitor!

#artbydmcbride

Since I am a motorcycle widow for most of September, I am going to run rthe Ragnar Relay Napa Valley when I am not just running long to build miles for my October marathon.

Mr. Forward is doing a cross country motorcyle Cannonball run on an antique motorcycle right now.   Roll eyes Cool  (its actually pretty cool!)

He is on a 1922 Harley-Davidson

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/

Runners run

That thing looks as if it was welded up out of an old bedframe! So cool, but I hope he doesn't  have to stop quickly with only a rear brake..

I like old bikes but from the 1960's, I think a lot of men are influenced by what is cool in their teenage years, probably women too but they don't go quite so crazy when they reach midlife!

Could be I am wrong about that- do you still have a favourite Beatle?

Just pondering the history of the time that motorcycle was built........

-In the US Prohibition had recently been imposed, movies were still silent, and Amelia Earhart had yet to fly across the Atlantic.

Babe Ruth was about to sign with the Yankees, for $52,000 per year.

- In Britain the Prime Minister was David Lloyd George, who spoke English as a second language: he was Welsh.

-In Germany commercial passenger flight were just starting, by Zeppelin!

This was several years before the Spanish Civil War, Hemmingway had not yet published his first novel.

#artbydmcbride

Cool Simon, thanks! 

...and I do still have a favorite Beatle; John Lennon

Runners run

My first run after three days off due to a cold, 5.1 miles, felt pretty good and I probably should have gone further.

I just got my Garmin 205 back, actually a refurbished replacement unit, so I am pleased to have accurate distance and time again, but  don't need hundredths of a second so will have to go through the settings menu and get it all set up again.

I ran a 5k time trial yesterday, measured and timed by Garmin, so very unofficial...but was pleased to get 23:04.

Having missed my local 5k last month I looked up the results and found I would have finished about 45th out of 111 runners, 6th out of 8 in M60.

Six men ran under 17 minutes, top M55 was a blazing 16:52.6, and the top M60 ran 19:19, amazing times.

On the other hand the slowest runner finished in 38:52, so there were certainly some people there as "participants", a big variety in spite of the small field.

old-runner

I ran a 5k time trial yesterday, measured and timed by Garmin, so very unofficial...but was pleased to get 23:04.

Having missed my local 5k last month I looked up the results and found I would have finished about 45th out of 111 runners, 6th out of 8 in M60.

Six men ran under 17 minutes, top M55 was a blazing 16:52.6, and the top M60 ran 19:19, amazing times.

On the other hand the slowest runner finished in 38:52, so there were certainly some people there as "participants", a big variety in spite of the small field.

Good job, and wow, those are some fast old guy times, especially in a small race, but as always, I guess it just depends on who shows up.

I'm kind of sidelined right now because of my hamstring. It's flared up either during speed work or a race 3 times in the last two months so I decided to try to take a month away from any fast running and hope it heels up completely. Seems okay when I run easy... I just tend to blow it out when I try to go fast. I've got an important half marathon on October 27th so I'm hoping to make it for that and maybe a not-too-difficult shorter race a week or two before to kind of test things out.