The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Perry, so has Three Oaks been canceled and replaced with the LPR 10 miler? Also, am I correct in reading that it will be the only race during September and October to count towards the Grand Prix? P.S. When is the next CBRC meeting? Because maybe I should attend so I don't have so many questions to ask!
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I believe Three Oaks has been cancelled. I do not think it has been replaced. Next meeting is coming Mon at 6PM at Nicolleti's I think -- and we probably ought to discuss Grand Prix races there. Occasionally someone will run before the race at Chancellor's Run Pk -- I wouldn't mind running before the meeting up & down rt 235. Interested Joe? MTA -- CBRC newsletter published today and Vic's Letter from President says: We’re also planning on a race in Greenwell on October 18th to replace the Three Oaks 5K and keep a Grand Prix event, and we’re still not sure if it’ll be just a club event or a full race, but the latter is what I’m hoping for. If you’re interested in volunteering to make this race on the 18th a reality, let me know. We’re looking for good ideas.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

http://cbrcmd.org/lpr_10miler.htm So I've all but decided to forgo 5k racing in the month of September and instead focus all efforts on getting into decent 10-miler shape. Prospectively, I think a worthy goal would be to maintain an average pace no slower than 7:15/mi, which would finish me around 1:12:30. I'll try to get my long run up to 15-16 miles by the end of September (I'm already up to 11), and then of course taper before the race. After that the challenge will be to springboard immediately from long-distance training to competitive 5k conditioning. I highly doubt, though, that I'll run a race at Greenwell just six days after the Big Race. Oh yeah, and the ever-accurate McKay's County Times referred to this race as a "marathon."
          Assuming your 10-miler training doesn't involve much in the way of speed, then it will actually make a very nice base of mileage to lead you into a few speed workouts during October/November so that you could have a potentially great Jingle Bell run. I think I will also do the 10-miler. I won't make any goal time for myself until September is over, though. If the CBRC does end up scheduling a race for the weekend after the 10-miler, then that will make me feel pressured to run both races for Grand Prix points and I'm a little concerned with doing that much racing. More than likely, though, my 10-miler will be less of a race and more of a hard training run. I always feel rough after a race, but I'm beginning to think that's because I don't rest properly due to the awards ceremony and the sometimes long drives home. Some of my training runs are just as hard, but [almost] never cause such a recovery hurdle. I'm looking at two 5ks in Calvert County at the end of September, except neither is part of the Grand Prix, so I'm thinking I will skip out on the Pet Day 5k to consider making the Towson race. There's the off-chance the Grand Prix may change to include this, though I'm not sure a race with pets is a good one to include in the series. I should be able to do the 10-miler in Piney Point on on October 12th. I'm a little concerned with the Jingle Bell race being the first week of December. I will likely do at least one race the week of Thanksgiving, which gives me 7-10 days to recover before what will likely be my last race of the year. I still plan to do these races, but am not sure how I'll approach each. Really, what I need to do is focus on my next couple of races. It's looking like I should set my sights on doing a decent 5k on September 21st and a decent 10-miler on October 12th. It's just eerie that my first 3 races of the year will be all different distances without a time to improve upon.
          Durrr

I believe you're forgetting the Hospice 5k, which was your first race of the year --- or perhaps you meant the fall season. Either way, you're bound to see drastic improvement over your 41:00 + Hospice time at whatever 5k you choose to do this month. Also, I assume you'll run the 10-miler at a pace no slower than 10:00/mi, but keep this tidbit in mind: "Time limit is two hours and fifteen minutes. Course closes at 10:00 a.m. Runners not maintaining pace for a timely finish will be swept from the course."

Diesel Power

A 2:15:00 10 miler mean a 13:30/mi average pace. I don't know if Joe didn't put in maximum effort at Hospice in order to run with Billy (at the very least, they were detered by intersection traffic), but he still averaged a 13:17/mi pace in that race. Joe: The point is to run faster than you did at Hospice for this 10 miler. I'm not sure if Alden intends to run the race at TU on 9/21, given his recent aspirations to complete the Baltimore Marathon on 10/11. I'll throw it out to him, though. Joe: Val and I can provide a comfy air mattress for the night before the race, if you ultimately decide to come up for it.
                Unless one of Mike's friends decides to usurp the air mattress again! DR, your 5k pace was something like 6:30 per mile. That makes for a tough 7:15 pace.
                Durrr

A pace of 6:26/mi was required to achieve 19:59. I'd say there's a fairly considerable difference between that and 7:15/mi, but as a slightly more conservative goal perhaps I'll say 7:30/mi for the 10-miler, which would put me at 1:15:00. Wait, Alden running a marathon on 10/11?? That aspiration is rather .... premature (LUDICROUS)? I hope he runs it very, very slowly.

Diesel Power

DR – I’ve read that one only needs to be able to run about 7 miles in order to complete a marathon. That would make for a rough marathon, but it can probably be done. Alden has told me that he is not running for time, only to be able to finish the marathon. In addition to that, he ran 13.1 miles this past weekend, and has laid out a pretty decent training plan leading into mid October. I think his goal is very reasonable, and certainly something that MANY people have attempted in the past. He’ll probably hit several walls during the race, and he’ll likely need to walk as well. However, I think the fact that he has come along further than anyone could have imagined could have imagined since Chaptico last week. I’ve run with him several times over the summer, and I must say that he’s a runner transformed. My verdict: Far from ludicrous idea.
                    Durrr

I think you just made an excellent case for you to run the full marathon on 10/11, too! The two of you could run abreast all the way through. Actually, I would suggest that Alden run the Marine Core Marathon with Adubb and Perry rather than the Baltimore, as it would give him at least a couple more weeks to train, but I imagine that race filled up long ago.

Diesel Power

My goals are different than Alden’s. I’m training to race a half marathon. Alden’s path is for him alone. Besides, the races for the Baltimore Running Festival probably locked after Labor Day. Alden may have been one of the final people to register.
                          Considering Adubb's 10-mile split was about 1:17, I would hope your time is several minutes lower than that, DR, or else you're cruising for a bruising the next time you see Adubb. There had better not be any excuses this Thanksgiving! I'm starting to wonder if we'll have a chance for a big race with a bunch of us or not. The Jingle Bell race so far seems to have the best calendar date. I'd recommend the Towson race, except it may be disruptive to the training some are doing for their particular races.

Diesel Power

As much as I’d like to have a big race up here, that may not be in the cards. DR can’t make it up for the race this month due to being out of town, and Joe needs the Step by Step and Jingle Bell races for the Grand Prix points. As much as I’d like to get on board for Jingle Bell, Alden now has me fairly psyched about the Celtic Solstice 5-miler up here in mid December. If I were to run Jingle Bell and this 5-miler, that would make for 3 races within a 2.5 week span. That leaves Step by Step in early November, though I was looking forward to the XC race that the BRRC puts on about the same time. If Adubb is up for running the Thanksgiving 5K in VA this year, that may be the best shot at a large group race. Otherwise, it’s just going to be a few people here and there. The best chance for a group race up this was is probably the BRRC Cross Country 5-miler on 11/9. However, that is only eight days after Step by Step.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Storm effects: Pax Relay Tri has been postponed a week (from Sep 6 to Sep 13). Hughesville10K & 5K race (http://hughesvillerunningclub.com/) has been postponed (date not revealed). Indian Head 100 (bike ride of 16,29,63, or 100mi) of Sep 7 has apparently not been postponed (http://ohbike.org/century/).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

http://www.charmcityrun.com/registration/getready-web.pdf Joe - I'm not sure if you're planning on making the trip up for the 5K on 9/21, but in case you are, here is the printable entry form. It's $15 for mailing in, or $20 on race day.