The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... I saw Liza measuring the college track the other day. I am not sure why.
    Huh, maybe we can find out if the college track is yards or meters -- at least I don't know. re: invisible children Well, invisible children are ok to run through, cause you go right through them, but no one wants to run through visible children, cause knocking them over might hurt them...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm rather certain SMCM is a meter track. I believe Ryken has the only yard track in the area. Although I have only been to a limited number of tracks, 400m tracks are typically more ovular and 440y tracks more circular (such that the turns seem wider).
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Liza said they measured it and it is metric.

Durrr

The week of Hospice has arrived, and it's time to start speculating. The battle of North vs. South --- specifically, Rick vs. Phil and Alden vs. Joe --- is shaping up to be very interesting! Phil has run some fleet-footed times on the track lately, but will he be able to outlast Rick, who's had the benefit of marathon training and whose workouts have been more geared towards the 10k? And indeed, Alden has become a juggernaut of endurance, but Joe is on a phenomenal comeback kick, rapidly accumulating a strong mileage base (24 miles over this past weekend alone!) and proving he has some newfound speed on the track. I ardently hope to finish ahead of all of you --- just so that I can be a spectator for the outcome of the match-ups! But this is how I'll grade my performance after the race: -Breaking 41:00 ... A + -Beating Joe's 2008 Hospice 5k time of 41:15 (but not 41:00) ... A -Setting a new 10k PR below 41:45 (but not below 41:15) ... B -Breaking 42:00 (but not 41:45) ... B - -Finishing 42:00-42:59 ... C -Finishing 43:00-43:59 ... D Finishing 44:00 or over ... F

Diesel Power

I'm looking forward to being competitive with Phil. It would be easy to say, "I'm not racing Phil" in order to remove all of the pressure, but I think I'll only be willing to push myself more if I have Phil there next to me. Hopefully Phil will be able to say the same.
              Approximately 6.25 miles. -Beating 49:43 (8 minute pace)... A+ -Beating 50:16 (twice my recent 5k time)... A -Beating 51:58 (faster than the 8:18 pace I ran this weekend on 2.63 miles of trail)... A- -Beating 52:48 (8:30 pace)... B -Beating 54:04 (2006 Chaptico 10k)... C -Beating 57:37 (2008 Chaptico 10k)... D -Less... F
              Durrr

That's the League spirit. I'm not trying to sow bitter rivalries with this --- I merely aim to bolster friendly competition and get people excited for Saturday, where they'll hopefully now be further motivated to run their best. I'll surely race harder if I know that Rick, Phil, Joe and Alden are running zealously at my heels.

Diesel Power

Interestingly enough, my goals are right in between those of DR and Joe. I'll be thrilled beyond belief if I were to break 44:00, and probably distraught if I run at an 8:00 pace. I've been checking the weather, and the high for Saturday was projected for the upper 60s earlier. That will probably mean a race start temperature of at least mid 50s, which is probably slightly warmer than what I've been running in most evenings. For the second year in a row, it looks like spring will decide to get sprung for Hospice.
                  Durrr

A 43:59 10k equals an average pace of 7:05/mi. Perhaps a winning strategy would be to run the first 5k around 22:15 and the second just under 21:45.

Diesel Power

http://www.runforhospice.org/new-timing-system-chronotrack/ I'm pretty happy to see that we'll be using the D-Tag chip rather than the O.G. ChampionChip for electronic timing. I'm not sure if you guys have used these yet, but Alden an I used them during the Baltimore Running Festival last year. They're much less of an issue to wear while running, and I believe they are disposable. That means you don't have to get hassled five seconds after your final kick to take off the timer and turn it in. I'm now officially registered through Active.com. I didn't even have to pay the normal $3 processing fee!
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

MCM2008 used tags embedded in paper -- and so did Rehoboth Marathon 2008 I think -- that were disposable. I liked the disposable part. By contrast, National Marathon 2009 used the chips you're supposed to return, but there was no one asking for them after the race, and I had to look for someone to ask where to return mine after I remembered it later -- it would have been exceedingly easy to forget it, since they weren't reminding finishing runners.

According to that one article I may or may not have linked here, it can sometimes cost the race more to have the chute setup to retrieve used chips than what it costs to simply eat the loss of the chips.
                          philibusters

For Hospice I will go with the following 43:39 or better A+ 43:59 or better A 44:19 or better A- 44:39 or better B+ 44:59 or better B 45:29 or better B- 45:59 or better C+ 46:39 or better C 46:59 or better C- 47:19 or better D+ 47:39 or better D 47:59 or better D- 48:00 or worse F If I have a bad day, I could definitely get an F by my standards. If I run around 45 which was the original plan that would put me in the B/B- range.
                            Durrr

I have no doubt you'll get a B or higher. Yesterday after work, I just happened to be in Leonardtown, so I decided to do a 10k course drive. Getting familiar with Cedar Lane Rd --- a route I couldn't recall ever passing through during daylight hours --- was my main objective. To sum it up in two words: rolling ... hills. Seriously, it goes up and down like a merry-go-round horse! It also seems rather treacherous, as it's quite twisty and offers no shoulder. However, there are scant few residencies along its length (close to three miles, I think), as it winds solely through wide open farm fields and woods. Thus there should be little to no traffic to worry about on race morning. And none of the individual hills are considerable --- mostly just gentle rises and dips. No, the course's real wallop comes in the final two miles after you turn right onto Rt. 5 and ascend the great big, long hill before turning right onto College Circle. In simplest terms, my strategy for Saturday is to run the first 5k just under 20:45 and the second just under 20:15. My 5k splits at the Kiwanis 10k last June were 21:30 and 20:15, so basically I'd just have to take 45 seconds off the first 5k, when I'd have more energy anyways. However, to really break 41:00, I'll have to hit mile five in under 33:00 and then definitely reach mile six by 39:30 or the opportunity will be lost.
                              Durrr

I just go on mapmyrun.com and determined that the Cedar Lane Rd. segment of the course is actually only 2.5 miles long.