The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Diesel Power

Actually, this is already on the SOMD calendar, so it may draw a pretty good turnout. The Blue Crab Stadium is in Waldorf? For some reason I thought it would be in St. Mary’s.
    Durrr

Yeah, I saw that advertised on the CBRC website. It sounds fun, but I haven't really had any intention of running it (and yes, I would be unable to attend the game that evening).
      Durrr

This may be the very first year in which the Chaptico Classic and the Annapolis 10-Miler are not on back-to-back days. I do believe that the latter is on August 24th whereas the former is being held on August 30th (Labor Day Weekend). So Joe will unable to pursue his high school tradition of brazenly racing both a 5k and a 10-miler with a 24-hour period.

Diesel Power

Well, it just hit me that the first race of the Fall 2008 season is just two weeks away, so I figure it's time to hammer out the racing schedule again. Too Hot To Trot 5 Miler (Baltimore Road Runners Club) August 17, 2008 Cockeysville, MD – NCR Trail Get Ready, Get Set, Get Fit! 5K September 21, 2008 Towson, MD – Towson University Baltimore Half Marathon October 11, 2008 Baltimore, MD BRRC Cross Country 5 Miler *** November 9, 2008 TBD Towson YMCA Turkey Trot 5K *** November 27, 2008 Towson, MD Turkey Trot November 27, 2008 Centreville (?), VA Celtic Solstice 5 Miler *** Mid December 2008 Baltimore, MD - Druid Hill Park *** In responses to DR previous pleas (from early July) - 1. It's highly unlikely Val or I will be making the trip down for Chaptico, though not impossible. Sorry. 2. Val and I will probably be spending Thanksgiving at my parents house for the third straight year. I definitely want to do a Thanksgiving race, as well. Therefore, if Adubb is running the Turkey Trot in VA that we did in late 2006, I will more than likely be in favor of that race. Obviously I won't be doing both. 3. I would like to do either the Step by Step 5K or the Jingle Bell 5K in Solomons, but not both. I like the Cross Country 5 miler because it seems like a fun race to do after the Half, while Step by Step would potentially offer a week less of recovery. On the same token, the Celtic Solstice 5 Miler would offer an extra week of recovery following the Thanksgiving race than the Solomons race would. Regardless, if Val and I move forward with the house purchase this year, my schedule might tighten up and make it improbable for me to do either.
          Durrr

One possibility: replace the Get Ready, Get Set, Get Fit! 5k with the Solomons Island Pet Day 5k, which is on 9/20. And I'm greatly gunning for the Solomons Jingle Bell to be a major League/TEAM event.

Diesel Power

That sounds good in theory, but I’ve been looking forward to the Get Fit! 5K all year. For starters, I’m looking forward to running this course two years in a row to see how I’ve improved. Second, this event takes place at Towson University, so it’s like a tour thru my old stomping grounds. Third, it’s only $10 for TU Students (I qualified as such last year with my part-time status, so I’m looking forward to the same this year). Fourth, the fact that I know the course may make it a good candidate for breaking 20:00. The idea of a team event sounds good in theory, but again, it completely depends on what my schedule will be like. September – December will be fairly busy, due to the fact that I’ll also be taking a couple of more classes this semester. All I can say is that I’ll try to squeeze another trip to Saint Mary’s into my schedule, so long as the effort is reciprocated.
              Durrr

Actually, forget what I said about the Pet Day 5k. I'll be heading up to SCRANTON, PA, that day!

Diesel Power

I think the Steamtown Marathon is normally in October, so I'm curious as to what race this could be for... or, is this just a site-seeing expedition? If so, be sure to stop by Poor Richards.
                  Durrr

It's actually for a wedding reception (the wedding itself is in nearby Wilkes-Barre). But I hope to catch sight of the Scranton sign and those townhouses you see up on a hill at the beginning of every theme music/intro to The Office!

Diesel Power

The Fall 2008 season kicks off for the BalCo side of the League this Sunday, as Val and I take-on what I presume to be an out-and-back five mile race at the NCR Trail on Sunday. The race is the BRRC's annual "Too Hot to Trot 5 Miler." Being that this is the first race of the season, and I have done a raced legit since late May, I'm not going to look to go out and do anything incredible. Instead, I will try to slightly exceed my pace from the McVet 10K earlier this year. According to race results, my pace was 7:37/mi. However, being that my Forerunner measured the course at 6.33 mi (others had 6.45!), my less official pace was 7:27. I'll be happy with a 7:24/mi pace, which will get me to 37:00. I've been comparing what I've done versus training over the past couple of months versus the months leading up to McVet. My total mileage eight weeks prior to each race has been fairly comparable (~22 avg. now vs. 20 then), and I was doing more speedwork at the time. Therefore, I don't expect a remarkable improvement (if anything, it could be contributed to my long runs increasing about ten miles per week). The only thing that is encouraging about this is that my training over the last eight weeks consisted of summer mileage and a few tempos, while my training at the time was more akin to PEAK training. I have high hopes as I raise my weekly mileage to the mid 30s leading up to the Baltimore Half.
                      Durrr

I think Joe has an announcement to make about his determination to run a certain race next March (a certain very long race).

Diesel Power

I'll believe it when I hear it. One can't really ask for better summer racing weather than what Val and I will be getting on Sunday... it should be about 66 degrees at race time (8am), although the humidity will be at a sticky 75%. The race will take place under the mostly shaded NCR Trail, so I'll be curious as to how cool it feels. Looking 10 days down the road from now, Adubb and Alden may face slightly warmer weather in VA Beach for the second official race of the season. The high for Sunday 8/24 is 87 degrees in that area, although that could jump around by then. And for the sake of DR, Perry, and Joe, hopefully the Chaptico Classic will have better weather than last year, when both the temperature and humidity were probably in the mid 80s by race time.
                            The Chaptico Classic tends to be a brutally humid race every year. The humidity from dew evaporating in the morning sun is one of the most stifling things to run through. It may just be me, but I think the 8 or 9am race start time in the summer is not ideal. I would prefer earlier or later so that I was getting either cool dampness or hot dryness, but not both. Despite being an all-road 5k, Chaptico gives pretty slow finish times year after year. Doing any long races in March will require steady increases to my long runs during the preceding months. If I start now, I can increase my long run by less than 1 mile per week, which is very feasible. If I can manage a long run of 12 miles in December, then it's very realistic. This is a crucial week for me in terms of Chaptico training. The hill workout and bad weather have inhibited my last couple of days. I need a solid weekend of running, though I don't have good quantities of time available. The next two weeks of racing are promising for all of us. I'm setting a goal of sub 29 for myself in the 5k, which means I can't go much above a 9 minute mile pace. DR and I still aren't 100% convinced which event we will run, though.
                            Durrr

I'm certainly doing the 5k, as all the training I've done over the past two months (well, I've really only been "training" for a couple weeks) has been geared towards the 5k. It's my personal vendetta to vindictively vanquish 20:00 --- something I've not accomplished in four years of participating!

Diesel Power

Joe: Any chance of you being able to run a 10K at roughly the same pace as you did the five miler last weekend? If so, it may be worth it just to make sure you get in a long run for the week. No sense in seeing how hard you can push yourself in what could be the worst racing conditions of the season. DR – Two words: racing flats. DR’s comment about only really “training” for the past two weeks may me reflect on the summer Between Kiwanis and 7/31, I probably only had seven or eight days of running that were dominated by the term “easy.” The past two weeks have been somewhat better. Two interval workouts, two tempos, a 10 mile long run and a 9 mile “Race-sim” coming tonight. Still, I feel as though I’ve been slacking. Due to house hunting and traveling, I’ve made it to the gym only ONCE since beginning the Half M training (once out of four scheduled days!). My eating habits continue to be good from 6:30 am – 4:30 pm, but it’s a disaster many nights. I’ve feasted on ribs three nights since Saturday (leftovers from the bbq at my parents), and crushed a large Dominos pizza last night. Granted, it was a thin crust, but should I really be eating any kind of large pizza in under an hour? Even though I’ve slept on the first race of the season, I think I can use it to turn over a new leaf in terms of non-running related training/fueling. I’m not saying I’ll eat like a world class athlete, but eating anything like Dominos is done until after 10/11/08. Additionally, even if I can’t make it to the gym due to either school or house stuff, I need to have a core workout three times weekly. Once upon a time (circa 9/06), I relied on The League to make sure I didn’t shirk on the most preliminary of running routines. Now, I turn to you to help keep me on the straight and narrow for the next eight weeks (eight short weeks!). I’ll try to remember to post a workout summary weekly in order to notate my core routine (DR – I expect you to keep on me about this). Perhaps I could get some kind of “food journal” going for the eating part, and somehow make that public (at least on here… not on Facebook or anything). I wonder if writing down the things I eat will force/shame me into making better decisions (ready for another turkey month, Joe?). Once again, one of the core reasons the League was created was to help keep each other motivated during times like this. Being that I want to be in the best shape of my life in 57 days, I suppose I need The League now more than ever.