The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The only hill I recall is the uphill up Fenwick, from Courthouse back up to Washington St. Hm, there must be somewhere that we go down to get to the bottom of that hill -- maybe Courthouse is downhill.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

I see that I may be overestimating the hills of this course. Looking again at the map, it seems that 90% of the course is a straight shot between Leonard Hall and the Courthouse. I'll probably stick to my original plan of five Van Buren hills this Thursday and six the following Thursday, and maybe a fast 400 workout the week after that. After all, I'd like to take my new T5 Racers for a spin before the race.
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have sure have some kind of threshold in between 8:00 and 7:40 paces. Ran with the group at Solomon's this morning, and did 4mi warmup at 8:00 pace, felt reasonably easy. Then I & another guy did a 6mi loop, and took off fast, about 7:40 pace for the first two miles, then slowed down to avg 7:52 for whole loop, and even the end, which was back up to 8:00 pace, felt difficult and tiring.

Durrr

On Saturday, for the second time ever, I was the victim of an unprovoked canine attack during my run! Not long after making a U-turn on a seven mile run through Golden Beach, I was passing by a cluster of small, low-income houses when I looked up and saw a fat and ferocious baying BEAGLE bounding towards me with a savage look in its eyes. Even though I was running in the middle of street, far from anyone's yard, the dog charged right to me and started jumping up at me, not so much barking but SNARLING. I yelled at it and raised a defensive knee --- and then to my utter shock it sunk its sharp little fangs into my left thigh! A car then passed by, and although I feel guilty about it now, I found myself saying then "please hit the dog, please hit the dog." It didn't. After escaping the beagle's "territory", I lifted up my shorts I saw that the its teeth had indeed raggedly broken my skin (not to the point of bleeding, though). Hurrying home as best I could (as I said this was an an out-and-back run, and the incident took place at least three miles away from my home), I thoroughly washed the wound with soap and high-pressured water, then applied Neosporin-type ointment. I'm not too worried about infection since I got a tetanus shot and rabies vaccine after the last dog attack (back junior year at Ryken), and this mutt was wearing a collar. Rick, you might not have liked this story, and I want you to know that it didn't leave me prejudiced against beagles or dogs in general. I know that there are bad dogs out there just like there are bad people --- and bad people usually beget bad dogs. But I'll probably avoid that street for awhile.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think you should call St Mary's Animal Control to get the incident documented (animal attacks are a threat to bikers as well as runners and walkers): http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/Emergencycomm/index.asp St. Mary's County Animal Control 301-475-8018

Durrr

That dog was very aggressive, so I can't help but wonder whether or not it's been reported before. If it attacked me like that, who's to say it hasn't done the same to passing children or elderly people?

Diesel Power

I don't think you need to rationalize this decision. If people are going to own aggressive animals, then they need to observe the leash laws. You are right, though... just imagine if someone slower than you had been running that street. They could be in much worse shape right now. On the same note, if this is the first documented report, it's unlikely much will happen. However, if you were to run down the same street in six months and the same thing happens, then your report right now could make a world of difference.

Diesel Power

Saturday, March 22, 2008 NCR Trail, 7:15 am Cloudy… Temperature in the upper 30s, wind chill near freezing. I did not sleep well in the hours leading up to this run. I did not land in bed until 1am due to being out at a bar for the birthday of a friend of Val's, and my alarm was set for 6am. I didn't want to stray from the planned six mile run, and I also had my first yoga session later in the morning. There was just no way around getting up at 6am. After breakfast and tending to Molly, I arrived at the NCR Trail parking lot. One other guy was there when I arrived. He assumed that I was a member of the Baltimore Road Runners Club. Even after I corrected him on this, he still insisted we run out together. At this point, I realized I just locked my keys in my car (a side effect of five hours of sleep), and the guy offered to drive me back to my apartment when we finished. I was pretty much trapped into running with him. The pace was much faster than I wanted, being that this guy was looking to break 65 minutes in a 10 miler next weekend. We were going at a bit over 8:00 for the first 1.5 miles, but I slowed it down to 8:30 - 8:40 by the time we reached the three mile mark. Not too much later, to my delight, this guy (I forget his name) stated that he wanted to do two miles at his 10 mile race pace. That meant I got to turn around and do the second half of the run at my own pace. We ran about 200 meters past the three mile marker, which was done in 26:10 (8:22!!!). I finished the round trip (roughly 6.25) in 53:28, meaning the second half was run at roughly an 8:48 pace. That's about as fast as I think I should be going on these long runs... the Garmin may prove otherwise next weekend. Overall, I felt kind of sluggish on this run, more so than a month back when I ran 5.5 miles at an 8:08 pace. I think that's due to the lack of sleep I got the night before. I felt much better on the second half of the run. As for the guy who I ran with... honestly, I'm not sure if I've ever met a nicer guy who irritated me so much. He was very knowledgable about running, but it seemed as though he was trying to fill me in on everything he knew about running in the short time we spent on the trail. Then, on the ride back to my apartment, it seemed as though he was giving a lecture on his eating habits. He also was sure to point out the "errors" of my eating habits. For instance, I learned that he thought energy gels and recovery drinks were dangerous and overrated (Nope), that runners with MY level of mileage (he had zero clue as to how many miles I run) should not be eating carbs (this was just confusing), and that runners shouldn't eat bananas because of sugar levels! He noted that he has long arguments with his sister-in-law, a licenced nutritionist, about whether or not bananas are good for you. I'll have to side with the person whose entire livlihood concerns food on this debate. Fortunately, after dropping me off, he didn't suggest that we run together in the near future.

Diesel Power

I had my first yoga class at 10:30 on Saturday morning. Because this was my first class, I showed up about 25 minutes early because I was sure I would have to fill out the standard membership information / liability paperwork that comes with any gym. To my surprise, there was nothing like that. Instead, I was greeted by a very kind woman who remembered me from the one email I sent to the yoga studio on Monday advising that I'd be coming in. I was informed that, since this was my first time, my class would be free. I talked with some of the other students for the class in the lobby area as we waited. I knew going in that this studio has classes in 13-week "sessions," almost like a semester of college. Generally, you pay for 13-to-26 classes in advance for the session, then come and go as you please. However, I learned from the other students that these classes were taught in a progressive manner... that is, each week became more difficult and new poses were introduced. Being that this was week twelve of thirteen, I feared certain doom was looming. To my surprise, the class wasn't that bad (of course, this session is for beginners). I knew my hips, groin, and hamstrings would be sore the next day (and they were), but it wasn't like I was in pain the entire time. The instructor briefly spoke with me afterwards. He said that I hung in pretty well with all of the exercises, but it was obvious that I can use some work in terms of flexibility in the areas I just mentioned. I signed up for the Sunday class for this weekend, the final week of the session. After that, I'll very likely front the cash for the 13-week Spring session that will begin with the week of 4/2. I honestly don't expect this class to help that much before Hospice (although it certainly won't hurt)... instead, I'm more focused on this making a difference by the time the Baltimore Half Marathon rolls around. Speaking of which, I purchased the official UnderArmour Baltimore Running Festival "In Training" technical shirt on Friday. Being that I had the day off, I stopped by the Falls Road Running Store to see if they were having their Spring tent sale. Even though they weren't, I purchased this shirt and Brooks' shirt bearing the store's logo. Afterall, I had a $15 coupon to use from the Kelly 5K, and I received a 10% discount for knowing the world record mile time (they generally have a sign with a question of the day/week/month for such a discount). Honestly, I relied on quick text messages from Joe (and later DR) to get the job done. I thought the time was 3:44, but we had to nail it within one second (actual time: 3:43:13).
                    Durrr

Anyone who denies the merits of carbs and bananas in running --- especially distance running --- is a quack. You immersion into the world of yoga has almost inspired me to do something similar. Almost. What was the gender ratio like in the class (obviously the instructor was male)? If they ever ask you what the world record for the 5k is at that store, tell them 12:37.

Diesel Power

About 20 people were in the class, but I was one of three male students. I'm not sure what results will yield down your way, but if a single guy in his mid 20s were looking to meet women his own age, this particular beginner's yoga class would not be the place.
                        Durrr

I was just curious how similar the gender ratio would be to that aerobics class I took at CSM years ago. Sounds roughly the same! Minus the instructor being male, of course.

Diesel Power

I used the Forerunner to measure the Van Buren hill while walking Molly this evening. The distance stat changed to 0.19 just after I passed where I normally finish, so I'll be recording these hills as 300 meters from now on. Not quite as long as the ~320 meter hill repeat at SMR, but then again, the one up here is uphill for 250 meters straight. I think they're both intense in their own right.
                            Durrr

Yesterday I did my first real speed work since December, and it burned! Although the run was essentially just a 5.5-mile maintenance run around my neighborhood, it contained 6 fartlek speed bursts interspersed unevenly between miles 1.5 and 4. I think the average distance was 150 yards and, according to the Forerunner, my maximum pace was about 4:25/mi (it also said that my maximum pace during the marathon was roughly 4:40/mi, but that could only have been in the last few yards of the race). I'm going to ice heavily tonight, and then tomorrow it will be time for three swift 800s at Ryken.

Diesel Power

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 Goucher College Campus / Track 6:30 pm… 47 degrees, windchill in the low 40s… winds upwards of 13mph (per weather.com) At this point, I'm officially ready for cold weather running to be done. It was fun while it lasted, but I am really looking forward to running in the 50-59 degree range at this point. Additionally, what's with all the wind when I'm doing track workouts? It never fails. At least it was not raining... I got to the Goucher track at 6:30. Once again, the Charm City Run training group was there, already warming up. Every time I see this group, I'm ready for a confrontation as to whether or not I have the right to use the track at the same time them. However, every week, the trainer kindly invites me to take part in whatever workout they're doing that night. I've always declined, as I'm not a big fan of straying from my current schedule. It looked like the more advanced group of runners went on a trail tempo run, while the others stayed for a speed workout. I was very impressed with the Forerunner during my warm-up. I was a little thrown by the Lap-Pace function, however. At the beginning, it said I was running an 8:30 pace. I slowed down considerably, until the pace read "9:10." I figured this would be a much more appropriate workout. However, I realized near the end of the warm-up, the Lap-Pace actually tells you what you will finish the mile in if you held the current pace. That would mean my actual pace was closer to 9:30. As I've already said, I think this will be an excellent function to use during a race, but I may switch over and see how the instantaneous pace does. The workout of the day was 3 x 1200 (w/ 800 jog recovery) at about 10K pace. I'm guessing I could do a 10K at about 7:30 pace, which put my 1200 m goal time at about 5:35 apiece. Of course, I ran them a bit fast... 5:25, 5:32, 5:15. I didn't think the first two were that bad, as I was only 1-3 seconds fast per lap. Also, I intentionally did the final lap on the third interval hard. I'm more worried about the recovery 800s, which I ran in 4:28 and 4:21. I should probably be doing these slower, but I also ran these in lane 3! The group trainer politely scolded a couple of the trainees for walking in lane 1, so I wanted to demonstrate strong track etiquete. Cool down was a bit over a mile in 9:31, so 5.25 miles on the day. I was probably most excited to learn that the loop I've been warming-up and cooling down on for a year at Goucher is actually a little bit more than a mile (1.02)! I'm glad to know that I haven't been completely short-changing myself for the past year. ----------- Perry said that you guys were going to do an interval workout last night... how did that go?