The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

I think Perry said that he (and whoever he's running with) are doing the intervals tonight at the SMCM track, while I'm doing 800s tomorrow (Thursday) on the Ryken track.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We're going to St Mary's College this eve at 5pm, and a neighbor of ours may go, and Joe is going to probably show up also. The local running club has track workout at St Mary's College at 6pm on their calendar, so we might see other people show up later -- dunno.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A lacrosse game was finishing up this eve, so we jogged around the outside of the college track for a mile, and then Joe suggested we go run hill repeats on a hill he could see, so we did that. None of us had done hills before except Joe -- turns out they're tiring, even tho it was a small & short hill. Then we went back to the track, and I and a neighbor of ours set out to try 800s on 3:00 -- altho I knew I was tired by the hills. Crystal came with us for the first 200, which was fast -- our pace was 5min flat at that point. I finished the 800 at about 2:33.5, and my neighbor finished at about 2:35. We did the next 800 at 2:50 I think. Then I was beat, and only did parts of her next two 800s, which were between 2:50 and 2:55. But I'm going to try again later for 4x800 at 3:00 again without hills before and without going so darn fast on the opening one.

Durrr

An 800 in 2:33 is excellent --- but perhaps a tad intense if you plan on doing any subsequent 800s. Has your neighbor run any of the races we've done in the past year? She (?) sounds very competitive. Although the right side of my left heel has been paining me the past couple days (I'm still feeling fragile from the marathon), I'm heading to Ryken tonight for a trio of 800s. I'll aim to do the first two around 2:45, and then I'll see how fast I can do the final 800. I'm not sure I'll get down to 2:33 or 2:35, as I'll be slightly worn out and lacking competition (when Phil and I did that fresh, all-out 800 last August, my time was 2:36 --- but that was on one of those swelteringly hot days with 110% humidity).

Diesel Power

Personally, I think what both of you are doing would be way too intense for me in the weeks following a marathon. Even after the 10K at the end of May (at the end of the peak cycle), I’m planning on moving into a 6 week period of nothing but base mileage and strides before getting back into any kind of serious AT, VO2 Max, or hill training. However, I can understand your dilemma. Arguably some of the best racing temperatures of the year will happen over the next couple of months… I’d probably want to be as ready as possible, too.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The marathon has faded into my memory, and I forget that it wasn't long ago. Our neighbor is a triathlete -- her strength is in the pool (she's much faster swimmer than I am). She hasn't done road races around here, but she may do a 10K to work on pace, she said, maybe even hospice -- she wants to lower her pace from 7:02. Crystal held with us for the opening 200 of that fast 800, and the first 200 was on a 5-flat pace, so Crystal was flying too Smile The hills were fun, and I'm glad Joe suggested them. We will have to go try doing hills at Ryken some evening.

Durrr

Believe me, if the Hospice were pushed back one or two weeks, I wouldn't be doing anything intense right now. But it is when it is, so I have to get into competitive shape and fast. I intend to do a hill workout at Ryken one week from today, so hopefully you can join me then.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I took Thursday off entirely, no exercise at all, so surely that should help me recover from the hills & intervals -- on the other hand, Crystal only had 15 minutes to run and wanted to run Thursday, so she did two fast miles. We're tentatively planning to do track at the college again next Wed, so altho I'd like to join you for the hills, I probably won't, on the principle of avoiding a stressful workout the day after a stressful workout.

Durrr

I was slightly disappointed with my workout yesterday --- not so much because of the times, but due to how weak and sluggish I felt. Rather than feeling like a charging cheetah, I felt like an elderly elephant. I should give myself some slack, though, since this was my first real speed workout since December. Although I've acquired unprecedented stamina and endurance over the last three months, my speed powers were neglected. So, being that I've gotten used to doing intervals at a 1:38-1:45 a lap pace, brining it down to 1:18-1:25 a lap was an obvious shock to the system. When I got to Ryken around 4:50 p.m. yesterday, the campus was relatively deserted --- except for on the infield of the track, where the girls' lacrosse team was still practicing for some reason. My left heel continued paining me and I was morbidly drowsy, but I launched into a 1.5-mile warm up around campus nonetheless. The weather was balmy, boasting a buffeting but benign breeze. Back on the track, I pulled off the first of three 800s in 2:41 (my freshmen year at Ryken track PR) without too much of a struggle, but felt exhausted afterwards. I gave myself a generous respite, then slogged sluggishly through the second 800, finishing over the limit in 2:46. The lacrosse girls doing sprints on the infield seemed to be moving faster than I was. Now I gave myself a significantly more generous respite, and after walking around a bit, I dared the third and final 800. My strategy this time was to run the first lap in 1:20 and the second in 1:19 (or lower). Well, I missed the mark on the first lap, running it in approximately 1:23, and at the 600 I clocked 2:04. There I emptied all my reserves, pushing it in with a mad sprint. I thought for sure that I'd blast into the 2:30s, but when I checked my watch I was dismayed --- 2:42! Feeling ashamed, I then sauntered off on a 1.5-mile cool down around campus, suffering terrible side stitches throughout. Knowing that my cold compress was inadequate, last night I devised a modified version of Rick's patented ice water bucket. I took a metal stove pot --- not big enough to fit my whole foot --- and covered its basin with a layer of ice before filling it half way up with cold water. I could only stick in one heel or one forward foot part at a time, and the water was so damn cold that I could only stand immersion in 10-15 second intervals. Next time I'll get a bigger pot. Will Wednesday now be your requisite interval day? I'd like to stick with Tuesday and Thursday (so that I can do two speed-type workouts a week).
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rode stationary bike for 20min then went outside immediately to run, as I've heard triathletes talking about running directly after biking to practice adjusting to that. Ran 2.31mi at a nice clip (8:05, 7:51, then 7:14 pace for last little bit) out and back to house. Then was going to out for some distance slow, but our neighbor came by, so I joined her for about 2.5mi (7:56, 7:43, 7flat for half) by which time I needed to bail, so I turned around and continued fast to the 5KM point (23:22 for the 5KM), and then returned last almost 2 miles at 7:45 pace. I went all winter sticking to my discipline of no faster than 9min pace, except with the triathletes and even then no faster than 8min pace. But now it seems I lack self-discipline -- I'm going to try to run slower for some distance this weekend. We did Wed track last summer, so we just naturally jumped into it. Interesting point about Tue & Thu being good for two quality days. I'll talk it over & think about it -- I guess we could do Mon & Wed for quality days, but that doesn't work as well with my preference of being able to go long and slow on both Sat & Sun.

Diesel Power

Heart rate monitor training is blowing my mind. For example, on a long run I should currently keep my heart rate between 145 – 164 bpm, based on the “heart rate reserve” method that many subscribe to. This is different than simply using a percentage of max heart rate, as the heart rate reserve method also factors one’s resting heart rate into the equation. I’m currently determining my resting heart rate by wearing my HRM to bed and keeping the Forerunner on my nightstand. I generally wake up some time around 4am before my alarm goes off, and then go back to sleep. When that happens (as it did this morning), I simply turned on the Forerunner and measure my resting heart rate. It clocked at 54 bpm this morning. I’ll aim to that for a few days, so I can take an average. It is apparently preferable to measure your RHR this way, as hearing the alarm go off and getting out of bed can raise one’s heart rate by 10 bpm. For instance, I measured my RHR a couple of days last week doing this, and it measured at about 62 bpm. There are many equations for determining one’s max HR, but the general consensus is that a field test works best. I really don’t have time (or the desire to waste a training day) to do this, so instead I’m estimating 195 for the time being, and I will measure what my heart rate tops at over the next month or so (specifically during hill workouts and the 400s next week). Heart Rate Reserve = Max HR – RHR = 195 – 54 = 141. Pete Pfitzinger holds that long runs should be done weekly (vs. the Daniels method of every three weeks), and therefore should be a bit faster. He suggests working between 65 – 78% of Heart Rate Reserve. Lower Limit = HRR x % + RHR = (141 x 65%) + 54 = 145.65 bpm Upper Limit = HRR x % + RHR = (141 x 78%) + 54 = 163.98 bpm Here is where I get confused. I did a recovery run yesterday (at the suggested <70% hrr), and my time for the three miles was 30:58. the theory in this is to be fresher for tempo, interval, hill, and speed days. as i improve, my rhr should decline a bit. as my rhr goes down, the lower and upper limits will decrease as well (e.g., 50 bpm rhr will yield lower limit 141.65, 159.98 for a long run). however, if i’m understanding things correctly, i should be able to run faster between the lower bpm limits. does this sound correct? hrr),="" and="" my="" time="" for="" the="" three="" miles="" was="" 30:58.="" the="" theory="" in="" this="" is="" to="" be="" fresher="" for="" tempo,="" interval,="" hill,="" and="" speed="" days.="" as="" i="" improve,="" my="" rhr="" should="" decline="" a="" bit.="" as="" my="" rhr="" goes="" down,="" the="" lower="" and="" upper="" limits="" will="" decrease="" as="" well="" (e.g.,="" 50="" bpm="" rhr="" will="" yield="" lower="" limit="" 141.65,="" 159.98="" for="" a="" long="" run).="" however,="" if="" i’m="" understanding="" things="" correctly,="" i="" should="" be="" able="" to="" run="" faster="" between="" the="" lower="" bpm="" limits.="" does="" this="" sound="" correct?=""></70% hrr), and my time for the three miles was 30:58. the theory in this is to be fresher for tempo, interval, hill, and speed days. as i improve, my rhr should decline a bit. as my rhr goes down, the lower and upper limits will decrease as well (e.g., 50 bpm rhr will yield lower limit 141.65, 159.98 for a long run). however, if i’m understanding things correctly, i should be able to run faster between the lower bpm limits. does this sound correct? >

Diesel Power

"For example, as your athletes get in better shape, they will be running at a faster pace when at the same heart rate and their heart rate will be lower when running at the same pace." I guess that sums it up.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rick, I read some of the low-HR propaganda/articles, and also there is a forum here for low-HR runners, and that definitely is what they say: that you will find you can run faster at the same HR after you do the low-HR training. Frankly, I'd be curious to try it myself, if I had a HRM (and if I was willing to wear it). http://runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/Forum

Durrr

Maybe I'll try running with a stethoscope --- taping the resonator end to my chest. It would be difficult not to lose count of heart beats, though. On Saturday I did eight miles at an easy average pace of 8:37/mi (I was going significantly faster early on, but slowed up considerably during the final 3 miles). The weather couldn't have been more perfect for running (mid-upper 50s, light breeze, partly cloudy), and my movements felt very fluid. In fact, at one point I was shocked to recall that the marathon had taken place not quite three weeks before. Like Perry said, it's already beginning to seem like a distant memory --- both mentally and physically. I'll do a nine-mile run this weekend and a tenner the following. After Hospice I'll continue escalating my long run for the 10k(s).
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I intended to go middle distance both Sat and Sun, but, after working the Trouble-5K on Sat morn (and it was cold and windy), I went over to the benefit at which Crystal was performing, and played with one of the kids of one of the performers. I had fun, but it was little humbling -- this 7-year old ran me into the ground on the playground, til I was bushed. I went home later and took a nap, and didn't wake up til over 2.5 hours later! So I got plenty of exercise that afternoon, but no mileage to record for it Smile Sunday I did 10mi (@8:52) at midday, then 3.5mi (@8:39) that eve -- I decided to do a double so I could get more mileage with less stress. At least I've read that the advantage of doubles (running twice in a day) is that they're less stressful than running all that mileage straight. I didn't quite manage to stay 9:00 or slower, but I came close. PS: running with stethoscope taped -- funny image Smile