The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd like to remember to take my GPS watch and go for a long run at Calvert Cliffs, and just explore the trails.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

For some reason, I was hoping my tempo run last night would leave me brimming with confidence leading into the race on Saturday. While my confidence isn’t shattered, I still don’t “feel” like a runner who can break 20:00. I did a heart rate tempo, similar to the one I did two weeks ago. I aimed to do this one a bit easier, although last night would see a 3.5 mile tempo (vs. 3 miles on 4/1). I split up the tempo run a bit differently than on 4/1… during that workout, I ran mile segments with my heart rate between 160-166, 166-172, and 172-178. Because I thought the last mile was a bit fast, I changed this to segments of 160-165, 163-168, 165-170, and a final half mile at 168-174. I think this ended up being too slow, although much closer to my actual tempo pace than two weeks ago: Mile 1 4/1: 8:23 (avg HR 164) 4/15: 8:35 (avg HR 164) Mile 2 4/1: 7:43 (avg HR 170) 4/15: 8:18 (avg HR 168) Mile 3 4/1: 7:08 (avg HR 174) 4/15: 8:02 (avg HR 170) Final ½ mile 4/15: 7:19 mile pace (avg HR 174) Total of 5.75 miles on the day including warm up and down. My only concern is that I ran the final half mile at the same HR as the third mile two weeks ago, but at a slower pace. While that doesn’t bode well for my goal on Saturday, it doesn’t change my strategy as of right now. I still want to go out in 6:30 for the first mile (although no faster), and hopefully repeat that for the second mile. However, gun to my head, I’d say this Saturday doesn’t look like it will be the day. I’d be very happy with breaking 21:00 again, and elated if I get under 20:30.
      Durrr

Just think: if you run 20:47, you will have beaten my 2007 Walden-Sierra 5k time. And if you run 20:06, you will have surpassed my 2007 Chaptico Classic time! After a 1.5-mile warm up around the Ryken campus on the second beatifically breezy and coolly sunny spring day in a row, I hit the track. Once again a girls' lax game raged on the infield, but this time there were scarcely any spectators, and the rest of the campus was fairly devoid of activity. Here's how the intervals went: - 200 (35) - 200 (JOG) - 200 (37) - 200 (JOG) - 200 (36) - BREAK - 400 (1:14) - BREAK - 200 (35) - 200 (JOG) - 200 (38) - 200 (JOG) - 200 (36). To atone for only doing 1 X 400, I decided to finish things off with an all out 100 yard dash (the appropriate lines have been freshly marked with white spray paint). Fifteen seconds was the best I could muster up, and I was crippled with shoulder cramps upon conclusion. Nonetheless, I felt much stronger yesterday than I did three weeks ago during my 3 X 800 workout, which bodes better for breaking 19:00 on Saturday (breaking 18:00 might not happen until the end of the year). But I'll probably be okay with anything under 19:16 this weekend, let's say. After my 1.5-mile cool down (I have a serious problem with it being called a "warm" down ... if something is becoming less warm, it's cooling) and stretching, I headed over to Subway. And who should I have run into in the parking lot but Jim and George, kinsmen of Rick!

Diesel Power

The yoga studio offers classes that are 13-weeks long. As I’ve already mentioned, I purchased 13 classes, and intend to take one per week on Sunday mornings (if so inclined, one could buy classes to take two or three per week, or any other variation you can think of). This particular class cycle began the day after Val’s party last weekend. Being that I was up until almost 2am, I definitely punted getting up at 7am for class. Therefore, I had a class banked to “make up,” which I chose to use last night. The class I’m taking is the Level I “Yoga for Beginners” class. I’m not completely sold on my Sunday morning instructor, as (1) so far the class has been limited to stretching and some light poses, and (2) she focuses way too much on the spiritual part for my taste. The Thursday evening instructor was completely different… she was a short gray-haired woman who beat the crap out of me for 90 minutes. There was a little bit of stretching, but a whole bunch of poses that pretty much had me begging for mercy. She also left out a lot of spiritual stuff, and instead spoke of yoga in more physical and cultural terms. Needless to say, I enjoyed this session much more, and will likely begin to attend this class regularly once my June summer class ends. I left class somewhat worried about how the poses would leave me feeling for today and tomorrow. Fortunately, my legs felt fine when I got up to run this morning. I was somewhat stiff when I began stretching, but loosened up quickly. My shoulders are a bit sore, but in a good way. My back actually feels incredibly good. I think that a 12 week training period of max aerobic (i.e., “low HR”) mileage, weekly yoga, and semi-weekly gym sessions are going to be key in getting into half marathon shape. I’m toying with the idea of having one o the gym sessions follow a light maintenance run, and be a completely weight-less routine… for instance, 100 push-ups, 50 pull-ups, dips, and a solid core routine. Of course, the push-ups and pull-ups will be done over several sets, with the goal of decreasing the number of sets to the goal amount. I have two months to tweak this program, though.
          Durrr

I wouldn't have minded a yoga session last night. Not that I'm overly sore/stiff or anything. But yesterday I ran my usual two-days-before-the-race 10k in 53:something, followed by four short strides.

Diesel Power

Being that you're getting into higher mileage training (and given all the speed/hill work you do), in may not be a bad idea to throw a weekly yoga class in the mix. It's excellent cross training.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We attended a triathlon talk last night, and one of the things the coach said was that rest is really important. He said he'd recently been in a Q&A with a guy who came in second in the Phoenix Ironman (or somewhere), and when asked, the guy said he got 9-10 hours of sleep a night, and also took a 1-2 hour nap each afternoon. Yesterday after the 5K race, and after all the awards and stuff afterwards, I ran the 10K course -- because I wanted to make another 40mi week, and because I was curious to see the course, and to see if I could find it. I went out along Leonardtown/Hollywood road until St Johns, took it, then took the first big road south, and that turned out to be correct. It is lovely rolling farmland. I ran 6.33mi in 49:36, which is a tempo run for me. Today I ran a 6.5mi group run and then a 4.5mi run to pick up a car. So that is my third week of 40 miles. Now I'm thinking it might be good to take a week off -- I mean, scaled back down to 25 or something low compared to 40, as a recovery week.

Durrr

That was quite a post-race cool down! I typically never do more than a half mile cool down after a 5k because, well, why? Running a hard race is more than enough excuse to take it easy for a little while --- you've earned it! But, if you truly enjoy running that much for the pure pleasure of it ... I'm debating over how to train this week. Since the next intended 5k is less than two weeks away, I'm wondering whether it would be overkill to do something intense this week like a 5000 pyramid or a 3 X 1600 workout. Rather, maybe I should just catch up on mileage this week, hopefully getting it up over 30 (I really need to get back to running five days a week rather than just four). I would of course do another moderate sprinting workout next week. Thoughts??

Diesel Power

I try to take it easy for about 5-7 days following a 5K. For instance, this week I'll run five miles on Wednesday, then probably 13 miles between Friday and Saturday. I won't even do so much as a tempo again until next week. Fortunately, I have the luxury of taking it easy this week, and then having three weeks to train hard before tapering a week before the MCVET 10K in late May.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I would like to report proudly that my workout today was mostly not on the treadmill. I used the elliptical machine and the cycling machine. I did use the treadmill for a few minutes, but that ended rather abruptly with me falling off of it, attempting to dismount it by riding it back to the wall, while it was going much too fast for that (I now know in retrospect). So, not only was I mostly on other machines, but even when I was on the treadmill, I was quickly no longer on it, but rather on the floor behind it... No serious injuries -- just a bruised finger and slightly bruised pride.

Durrr

I hope there weren't too many people watching, haha. Treadmills can be a bit hazardous, which is why I always feel safer running over good, solid, unmoving ground. I elected not to do any significant track interval workouts this week. For one thing, the pressure is on to start conserving gas, so continuing to make the long trip down to Ryken from work twice a week is out of the question. I'll still be traveling around to run sometimes, though, because few things drain motivation faster than having to run over the exact same ground day after day. Tonight I think I'll try something innovative --- sort of a fartlek-tempo run combo.

Diesel Power

Why not use the Forerunner's workout program to do intervals around your neighborhood? That would certainly save a lot of time and money.
                          Durrr

Yesterday was a tough one. It was a continuous, non-stop six mile run at an overall average pace of 8:33/mi --- but the max pace was 4:04/mi! I worked in six fartlek speed bursts (each roughly 150 yards in length) between miles 1.5 and 5, and in the middle of the set --- right at mile 3 --- I launched into a half mile power tempo, covering the distance in almost 3 minutes exactly. And as I indicated, I tried my hardest to get the pace sub-5:00/mi on each of the speed bursts. On another note, gnats flew right into BOTH of my eyes during the course of this run. It stung!
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Took Mon & Tues off (except for some exercise machine stuff & ill-fated 3min on treadmill one day). Today ran est. 1:40 around Boston. Boston Common is pretty and has some kind of hilly parts -- with stairs. Saw the Cheers bar sign. Ran Charles River both sides between Harvard bridge & Longfellow bridge. Boston downtown is small enough to run around it pretty easily for not too long a run. Estimate 12.5 mi. Will take tomorrow entirely off as well.

Diesel Power

After taking three days off from running, I got back into things last night with five easy miles. As I’ve already said, this week will be very easy running (a preview of things to come this summer, I suppose)... five miles last night, yoga tonight, 6 miles on Friday, 7.5 miles on Saturday. I also did a MAF (maximum aerobic function) baseline test last night. I’ve read that the best way to measure your improvement while doing low HR training is a five mile run done at the target HR, testing every month or so. While I won’t be starting low HR training until early June, I think it will be an interesting experiment to see how much I improve between last night and June versus just doing low HR training over the summer. Aside from the one ill-fated 7.5 mile run a couple of weeks ago where I was pushing an 11:00 mile pace, I think I’ve already made improvements running at my target HR (150 – 155 bpm). About a month ago, when I first tried a target HR run, I did 3 miles in 30:58. Here are the results from last night: Mile 1 – 9:34 / 147 bpm avg. Mile 2 – 9:36 / 153 bpm avg. Mile 3 – 9:51 / 152 bpm avg. Mile 4 – 9:45 / 152 bpm avg. Mile 5 – 10:12 / 153 bpm avg. Total for five miles was 49:01, 151 bpm avg. I set my HR alarms at a range of 147 – 154 bpm. The high end of the range probably caused my HR to average lower than if I had set it at 155 bpm. However, I tend to go over sometimes, so I’d rather the HR alarm sound when I hit 155 (the true max of my HR range). I held the pace well for the first two miles, but things fell apart a bit after that. I suppose this is undisputable proof of my tendency to fade during mile 3. I know people tend to get slower over time due to exhaustion, but I would at least like to be able to hold a good pace for the first 4-5 miles or so.