The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Perry, it sounds like you found a place to run "where everybody knows your name --- and they're always glad you came." But it must have been quite an experience to do an urban long run around one of America's great cities. How was the air quality, though? Rick, what's with back-to-back long runs (6 miles Friday, 7.5 Saturday)? I like the idea of doing one long run a week and one semi-long run, but I keep them spaced apart by at least a couple days. For instance, I plan to do about 6.5 miles tonight (fourth day running in a row!), and on Saturday I aim to do 10.5.

Diesel Power

Neither of these are insanely long runs. Plus, I only have some much time in a week to run. Most nights I either have class or homework, other nights (while few and far between) are for socializing. Additionally, I think it would be a decent workout for an easy week. One of the main ideas of a marathon program with a long run no greater than 20 miles is that you run 8-10 miles one day, and 18-20 miles the next. Just think of this as a much easier version of that. In a time when I need to increase my overall aerobic ability, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. I know I had issues with my calf a few weeks back after doing repeat miles followed by an easy five the next day, but I think this should be much easier. Plus, I follow this up with yoga on Sunday.
      Durrr

Last night was originally intended to be a simple 6.5-mile mini-long run. But, around mile 2.5, I got inspired! I decided to make it a pseudo-tempo run, and therefore I did my best to bring the pace below 8:00/mi. The blazing sun beat brashly, but I kept up --- er, down --- the pace admirably, hitting the 10k mark in 50:40. That's not too bad considering I'd run the first 2.5 miles at an 8:30-8:45/mi pace. As for the rest of the run, I made the final quarter mile a cool down of sorts, finishing 6.5 miles in 52:49. This was probably the first time I've run four consecutive days in a row since last fall. And after my intended 10.5-mile run on Saturday, I'll have a precise 30 miles for the week.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rick, I've also been doing most weekends recently as two medium-to-long runs, because weekends are so much easier days to run, and because that is usually when I can run with groups or run races. I didn't notice any air quality problems in Boston, but I do not have very good sense of smell anyway.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Open water swim this evening then returned home and ran 3.20 mi in 25:26, and felt good -- didn't have to start slow and warmup, I felt comfortable starting right out at abt 8min pace. That is one thing I like about running after something else -- being already warmed up

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

tri club duathlon this morning -- got two bikes working & tires inflated & did it with Crystal: 3mi run (23:18), 15mi bike (59:36), 3mi run (24:46) w Crystal. We were last, but had fun, and it was her first bike in many months at least (and only my 2nd).

Diesel Power

I've done a bit of research today... apparently, exposure to allergen's can considerably raise one's HR. Val also revealed yesterday that the pollen count over the past two days in the Cockeysville recorded has been among the highest levels EVER recorded. That being said, my 7.5 mile target HR run yesterday did not go well. I had purchased a "hydration belt" at Charm City Run, but got one with only two 8 ounce bottles. I figured I wouldn't need to drink that much over the course of the run, but I was dead wrong. I can say at least this much: the heart rate monitor is teaching me exactly what I need to do in order to prepare for a run. While I won't reveal my shameful pace yesterday (and yes, it was worse than the now infamous run earlier in the month), Friday's six miler went about as well as the five mile run on Wednesday. I was a bit slower, but I purposefully tried to keep my HR at 145-150, so as to have Saturday be a bit more difficult at 150-155. The total for last week was 18.5 on only three days of running. That's a bit lower than what I had previously been doing, but I intended it to be that way. I'll get my mileage up to 25 over the next three weeks in preparation for the 10K on 5/25. I've already laid out my running plan as well... one tempo run in each week (of 4, 4.5, and 5 miles), accompanied by interval workouts of 4x1200 in week one, 6x800 in week two, and 8x400 in week three.
                Durrr

So aren't you at all worried that running two 10ks within two weeks is a bit much? It'd be a shame if you ran that 5/25 10k solo then couldn't run the Kiwanis on 6/7 with all the rest of us. I really need to start getting up and out earlier on Saturdays, because it's going to kill me if I keep doing my long runs between 12 noon and 4 p.m. during these hot months. I don't think I would've been able to resist heat exhaustion yesterday if not for my water bottle holster --- the liquid of which was warm by the time I started my run, even though I'd dumped FIVE ice cubes into each bottle! Needing a change of running scenery, yesterday I eschewed my neighborhood and instead drove down to Greenwell. Well what should I have found impeding my passage at the park entrance but a blockade manned by senior citizens! Rolling down my window, I was promptly addressed by a geriatric sentry. Apparently the whole place was commandeered by wedding-related activities, and after a good deal of confusion (on his part), I made it clear that I was there neither for "the wedding" nor "the shower", but just to run. Still befuddled, gramps insisted that he would still have to charge me a parking fee. Not wanting to pay (and also not wanting to crash a wedding as a rude runner), I backed up and got out of there. So now it was either go to Dorsey Park or drive home, making the one-hour round trip all for naught. Sure enough, Dorsey Park was utterly bombarded with hundreds of people, every single one of them there for the sake of kids' sports --- all save me, the lone runner (seriously, I didn't see a single other runner or walker/jogger anywhere. The trails were deserted despite the parking lot being at max capacity). To accomplish my intended distance, I would have had to do SEVEN of the 1.55-mile Dorsey laps --- running 10.5 miles over a constant repeat of the same twisty, turny, rooty, hilly, uneven ground with parents of flag-football kids parking their damn lawn chairs right in my way at several points. And the scorching sun --- still fairly high overhead since it was not quite 3 p.m. --- had an added edge of humidity (like I said, the liquid in my belt bottles was already almost sticky warm by the time I began). Furthermore, the grass badly needed to be cut, and with every footfall I caused swarms of buzzing bugs to fly angrily up all around me (and let's not even mention all the spiderwebs I ran through in the woods!). After four laps, I couldn't take it anymore. I knew that I wasn't possibly going to make it through another three laps, especially not with the temptation to quit that would arise every subsequent time I passed by my car (and frankly, things were getting awkward since I'd already passed right by the same sports spectators four times). So, upon completing lap four, I redirected my course and ran to the entrance/exit of the park, turning right onto the Hollywood/Leonardtown road! I ran on that road towards Leonardtown for over two miles, running well past the old Hollywood McKays. The change to smooth, solid, even ground was most welcomed, but there were other factors I hadn't considered. The heat from the blazing sun was literally radiating off the asphalt, and I found myself ascending a virtually non-stop incline all the way until I made my U-turn (you never notice these things when you're driving). To my horror, I looked down and saw flesh flaking away all down my arms due to the harsh UV rays, even though I had applied sunscreen (but probably the kind that's not sweat-resistant). Anyways, I made the turn back as soon as the Forerunner reckoned 8.3 miles. I was blessed on the return trip because I now found myself running in the shade and --- obviously --- I was following a virtually non-stop decline. In fact, although I'd been struggling the keep the pace sub-10:00/mi at Dorsey, I was presently averaging well below 8:00/mi without any added effort. The road abruptly began climbing uphill, though, in the final quarter mile leading back to the park, and that was one final challenge I could have done without. But I'd judged my distance wisely, hitting 10.5 miles exactly when I reached my car. That gave me 30 miles exactly for the week.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am happily reporting that I successfully limited my mileage this week to nearly my goal (of 25mi) -- my weekly total says 26.9mi, which is pretty close. Furthermore -- and this wasn't by design -- I also did relatively little of any other type of exercise. So I figure this attempt at a cut-back week went pretty well. MTA: DR, let's do a Calvert Cliffs run one of these days -- after work or on a weekend.

Diesel Power

Perry - Are you planning on any triathlons in the future? A duotholon in itself is impressive, though. I'd like to do a triathlon at some point in my life, but unfortunately my training program would have to involve learning how to swim.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rick, yes, I hope to try a couple sprint triathlons this summer -- sprint ones are the shortest distance. My weak suit is the bike, and I couldn't go any further in the bike part than the shortest tris. It is challenging to learn to swim as an adult -- at least, Crystal has found it challenging, and I always hear that it is. I've been swimming since I was young, and I played water polo in college, so I'm extremely comfortable in the water. I could certainly do 1.5mi straight swimming in the pool (half-iron distance), although of course it would tire me out, but I'm not sure I could do it in openwater, and anyway, I definitely could not do 50mi bike (half-iron distance) -- I couldn't even do 25mi bike (Olympic distance), so I couldn't even do an Olympic tri, so I am limited to sprint tris, until I gain biking proficiency. I'd like to gain biking proficiency, but I'm not sure if I'll be willing to sacrifice running time enough to do so. Judging by the people I've talked to, the most common background of people in our tri club here are people who are either runners or bikers, and are somewhat comfortable with both, but consider the swim to be the toughest and most unfamiliar part. At least one of the members only learned to swim as an adult. But, there are also a few swimmers, who consider the run the tough & painful part. Then there are at least two of us who are comfortable with running & swimming, but consider the bike to be the difficult part. Smile I've not talked to anyone yet who said they were equally comfortable in all three. There are two local sprint triathlons here, both held on base, so I hope to try one or both. Also, I'd like for Crystal and I to do some biking together -- a nice way we can exercise some different muscles, with less of the joint stress that people running has -- and maybe see some new neighborhoods, because with a bit of practice we should be able to bike further than we can run.

Durrr

My intended training this week is geared towards running the Robbie Miles 5k on Saturday. Perry, have you given it any more consideration? I'm also trying to get Joe on board. I told him that this could be an opportunity to set a new record for the biggest drop in 5k time over a two week period ever (that's assuming that he could run close to 30:00 if he really tried, which would be 11 minutes faster than his recent Hospice time). And Perry, I have no doubt that this Saturday could be your lucky day to break 20:00!
                          Spoon

My intention yesterday was to go out and run a 13.2 mile course that I mapped out. Every Sunday, several of the main drags through Bogota are closed from 0700 to 1400 for pedestrian traffic - running, biking, skating etc. Someone had told me that from my apartment on 80th, a main street was closed all the way to 170th. So I mapped it out on mapmyrun and it came out to 13.2 miles round trip. So I start out and almost right away I run into a closed street at 116th. Thirty blocks later I'm only at 127. But I keep pushing on, but come upon two more detours and finally end up turning around at 161C (fourth block in the 161 series). I'm glad I did because running back was one of the hardest things I've done in a long time. I ran out of water, my stomach was empty and I had so little energy and the sides of my knees and my back started to ache. But I decided that it'd be better to finish it up and toughen myself up mentally, even if I was only running an 11-12 min/mile at the end. I kept on analyzing my condition and telling myself that I didn't have any serious aches and I had hit the proverbial wall..So I finally get back to my apartment, ice my legs and mapped what I ran online and it came out to 16.06 miles!! That's something like 45% longer than my last long run two weeks ago - yes, I know better and my joints are definitely sore today. Surprisinglly, my average splits ended up being 8:42/mile, which means I must've been running quite a bit faster the first half. Next weekend I'd like to run a 10-miler but at a sub 8 pace. Have somehow averaged between 8:42-8:45/mile my last three long runs without any sort of pacing device, even though they ranged from 8-16 miles. I figure I need to work on my speed here if I ever hope to run a fast Half in August. I have no doubt that I'll slow 1-2 min/mile in VA summer heat. I'm used to running in 50-60 degree dry weather here...

Diesel Power

Adubb - Here’s an indication as to how much you are above me right now… after doing a three mile maintenance run yesterday, I was fairly happy with capping off a 16.5 mile weekend (Friday – Sunday). You almost banged that out in an afternoon. Is there any indication as to where you’ll be in mid-March? I know this is way down the road, but maybe you’d be interested in running the Lower Potomac Marathon with us. Here’s something else you might be interested in. At the Hospice 5K, Alden announced his intention that he was planning on running a Half in Virginia Beach at the end of August. He was talked into this by people in (or affiliated with) his program at Hopkins. It looks like you may have some company for the race.

Diesel Power

So aren't you at all worried that running two 10ks within two weeks is a bit much? It'd be a shame if you ran that 5/25 10k solo then couldn't run the Kiwanis on 6/7 with all the rest of us.
                                The 10K on 5/25 is my goal race for the first half of the year. As far as I'm concerned, my season ends after the race that day. I will be making the trip down to Crofton two weeks later only because this race is especially near and dear to Alden, as it's with a group he's been heavily affiliated with for quite some time. I don't expect for my performance to be anywhere close to that of two weeks earlier, and I likely will only run it at 80-90% effort. I've roughly outlined my running schedule for the twelve days between the races... I'll only run about 22 miles or so in that period of time, with no tempos, fartleks, or intervals of any kind. In fact, there will only be two runs longer than three miles. Additionally, due to prior scheduling conflicts, I'll have three yoga classes during that period of time. I don't think recovery will be much of a problem. The alternative is to add two more weeks of hard training on to the three hard weeks (plus one recovery week) that I currently face. At this point, I'm concerned with making it to this summer's low HR training program uninjured. We'll see how it goes, though.