The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Avoiding serious injury should certainly be your main priority, but it would still be very special for us all to convene at Jingle Bell. In the spirit of Leagueship, would you consider "lightly" running the race --- perhaps keeping pace with Joe (Disclaimer: I say that based on Joe's most recent performance. I'll be thrilled if he drops his time by a major margin at Jingle Bell)? And maybe Valerie still wants to come to Jingle Bell and run a good race? I fully understand, though, that jogging a 5k isn't much of an incentive to make the trip down.

Diesel Power

I won't consider jogging any race any more than you would. We'll see how I'm doing after the weekend. Believe me, there's nothing more I'd rather do than to finish the season as scheduled.
      Durrr

It was already 95% fully dark when I began my seven-mile run last night at 5:25 p.m. The misty, low-hanging overcast sky contributed largely to that. It just feels so unnatural! At one point I jumped at the shrouded sight of a shadowy shape standing as still and silent as a stone statue several steps away from my right shoulder --- only to realize a second later that it was just a mailbox. Tonight I'm going to do five to six miles, running the third mile at a sub-seven tempo pace. Wednesday and Thursday will both be off days.

Diesel Power

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486 I've been doing this routine twice a week for the past few weeks for core muscle work (abs, obliques, lower back, etc). Take a look, if you'd like.

Diesel Power

I ran a couple of miles this morning before work, as I enjoy doing the day before the race. My achilles tendon is still sore, but now I'm more worried that PFPS (runner's knee) has seemingly invaded my right knee! I continue to be a running disaster. In order to make it to Jingle Bell at the end of the season, I will probably have to train at a level that will yield little-to-no improvement. Therefore, if I run tomorrow at under 22:30 (slower, considering I took most of last week off) and Jingle Bell under 22:00, I'll consider 2007 a solid comeback.
            Durrr

If 21:25 turns out to have been your season PR, I would still say that that's a worthy accomplishment. How big is tomorrow's race supposed to be?

Diesel Power

Based on last year's results, I'd say more than 700 but not more 1,000. 22:00 will place about 10th in the age group. FYI DR, I don't think they eliminate the overall winner from the age group placing, so 18:00 will probably get 3rd.
                Durrr

So it will have roughly 20 percent of Komen's participant population but be significantly more competitive?

Diesel Power

Exactly. This is because one of the most competitive races in Maryland (United Way 5K) was not run the day before. How did the run go last night?
                    Durrr

Very well. The temperature was mild and the skies had cleared, allowing the 60% moon to provided excellent lunar illumination. I ran six miles with the fourth mile run at a pace that was probably close to 6:50. Thus I was able to complete the entire run well below 50:00. Today and tomorrow will be off days, but I hope to amass many miles between Friday and Sunday. I wonder if Joe has run since the race ...
                      Durrr

On Friday I ran eight miles in an hour and seven minutes, allowing me to take Saturday off. Then today I ran 14 miles in 1:55:##, and it was truly tortuous. Joe had been unresponsive to my running solicitations, so I decided to save gas and perform the operation around my own habitat. Originally I'd intended to run to the end of Golden Beach and back via my 3.5-mile course that utilizes the side streets --- X 2. However, the return trip of that course requires running steadily to steeply uphill for a whole mile, so foresight warned me that I would not survive the incline the second time around (it was exhausting enough the first time!), what having already run 11 miles. Thus, after completing the first seven-mile there-and-back-again trip (in about 57 or 58 minutes), I decided to do the rest in my neighborhood. That always seems wiser during solo extreme runs --- if you have to limp or crawl back home, it's better to be just down the street rather than miles away. Oh, but at one point during my first 3.5 miles, I was harangued, harassed, and harried by a horrible howling hound. That's right, one of those beastly beagles! It didn't bite me, but it looked like it wanted to. Luckily its master was nearby to call it off --- that time. He was absent when I passed by that house again on the way back, giving the dog free reign to pursue me a second time. On another note, I can't count how many people in Golden Beach were burning leaves and shit. The air quality was heinous everywhere I went, and that might be why my nose kept spewing snot. Anyways, I did my three-mile neighborhood course twice then finished with an extra mile, amassing a formidable fourteen (all distances verified by mapmyrun.com). That's just 0.6-miles shy of my LPRM relay segment --- the longest single run I've ever completed. Next weekend I might taper it down to 10 miles so as to avoid taking anything away from my Jingle Bell performance. Therefore my next serious long run probably won't be for three weeks. Fifteen miles is next!

Diesel Power

Sounds similar to the air pollution I face up here due to the high density of auto traffic. I face that especially in the winter, since I'm unable to run in any parks after sunset.
                          Durrr

Like Boromir said of Mordor, "The very air you breathe is a poison." It seems someone going by the alias Amores attempted to post in the now defunct forumer forum. Could that have been Perry? In addition to updating race results for the past two races, Joe also needs to change the forum link on the website's front page.
                            Durrr

Tonight's 3 X 1600 workout was a sensational success! First of all, we had a regular old party going on the SMCM track --- me, Joe, Emily, Perry and Crystal were all present despite the cold and rapidly descending darkness. Although Joe remained on the track as Emily's watchful guardian, Perry accompanied me on a twighlit 1.5-mile warm up around the campus. Then it was TIME. My intention had been to pace the first two repeats to hit 5:55, but a 1:13 first lap said otherwise. Perry kept up very well for the first 800, then abruptly quit --- and then rejoined me for the final lap. I really tried to slow down, but sure enough I finished in 5:40! That's right, a new post-high school PR (in case you're wondering, I went to the RIGHT of the steeple chase pit during every lap I ran tonight). After a five minute break, it was time for numero dos. "Alright, this one's gotta be slower," I said. The first lap this time was a much better paced 1:22, and once again Perry cut out a lap and then reunited with me at the end. Well, the second 1600 wasn't quite 5:55 --- it was 5:45! This was just getting ridiculous, and I thought for sure that I'd fall apart during the final 1600. After another break of a few minutes, I charged into numero tres and felt awful. Still, I wanted this one to be my best, and a 1:16 first lap boded so-so. This time Perry gave himself a head start for the final lap, coercing me to chase after him. That must have helped immensely, because I hit the finish line in 5:36 --- a new 1600 PR for November 27th, 2007! To recap, the trifecta of 1600s went 5:40, 5:45, 5:36, adding up to a 17:01 3-miler. Joe, who'd been doing 2400-type stuff, had left the track with Emily to walk to the school library before I'd even started the final 1600. But Perry and Crystal persevered, and together we ran a slow cool down 'round the track (Crystal four laps, Perry and I six laps). Thus I amassed a solid six miles for the day, and twenty so far for the week. This was my last hardcore track workout for the year, and it gave me renewed confidence about hitting (or BREAKING) 18:30 at Jingle Bell.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had hoped to run those 3x1600s with DR at 0600 pace, but, I couldn't handle the pace. I knew the first lap of the first 1600 was fast, and I think DR told me the split, but I didn't think it thru to figure out what pace that was. At the 800 I stopped, b/c I couldn't keep it up at that pace, especially as I knew there were several more miles coming. I stopped my watch when I stopped at that first 800, and when I walked over to the light and read it, it had us at a 2:35 half pace -- a 5:10 mile pace. I felt better about dropping out when I saw that pace. Actually, that is my fastest half in my whole life (I never ran half for time when I was young). I'm going to try 3x1600s myself later, and see if I can do them at a steady 6:00 pace. I ran a 5:31 mile a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't keep up with DR yesterday, so I am sure he could get at least down to the low 5:20s, if he warmed up and ran just a single mile all out. Doing just one and being able to go all out, is easier than having several more looming over you, or being exhausted from having just done a couple fast ones Smile It's kind of funny, but I'm more psyched to do the 3x1600 workout successfully than I am to get a fast time at Jingle Bell -- I think it is to overcome my disappointment in not being able to follow for all of them yesterday.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.