The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did some MP this afternoon w Crystal in daylight - will log it in when I get home.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

What does MP stand for?

Durrr

Military Police.

Phil posted one of his most puzzling log entries to date:

Distance: 5.4 miles
        Duration: 2:27:18.02
        Pace: 27:17 / mile
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I commented on that workout of Phil's before I came back here & saw DR's comment.

But Phil's previous run initially confused me -- 15mi or 9mi? I think the answer may involve someone is back in the habit of not stopping the watch.

MP = marathon pace

Durrr

Phil should definitely make a log entry adjustment, because that run is really dragging down his pace for the week and month.

Weekly Run stats  Minimize
            12/9/2012 — 12/15/2012: 14.9 mi 3:47:40 15:17 / mi

Monthly Run stats  Minimize
            December: 41 mi 7:35:51 11:07 / mi
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My last 7 days = 73.8mi avg 7:52 pace. (The races help, plus yesterday & today had a fair amount of briskness.)

Durrr

That looks like one of my long runs, with the sub-7:30/mi average pace and the 6:30ish final mile. Meanwhile I now must eat the words I said the other day when criticizing Phil's consistency. He's now run precisely as many December miles as I have! 

philibusters

I think my idea running scenario for this coming up for day weekend would be

Long run Saturday (maybe 15 or so miles)

Medium run at the college of like 6 to 7 miles (one hour) for old time's sake on Sunday

Maybe something a little faster on Monday like 6 or 7 miles at 8 flat pace on Monday.

Short run Christmas morning

Durrr

You ought to attend the Nutcracker event on Sunday.

philibusters

You ought to attend the Nutcracker event on Sunday.

Sounds like a plan.  Maybe we can do a Monday run at the college instead of Sunday.

Durrr

Phil you should be well covered for group running events Sunday-Tuesday.

Liza Recto Are we having the traditional ABC run on Christmas morning?
                        about an hour ago · Like

Katie Edgar What is the ABC run? I've got visions of Sesame Street characters singing the alphabet swimming in my head mixed up with liquor stores...that's the only connotations I have for ABC...
                        about an hour ago · Like · 2

Liza Recto You're close. We meet in Town Creek, run through the neighborhood singing "Abcadefgijecklemunopquerstoovwuxizzz..." Then we run across Rte 235 to the ABC Lounge and have beers and nachos.
                        54 minutes ago · Edited · Like

Katie Edgar As long as we don't have to dress like Elmo, I could potentially do that...that is, if I'm not up to my elbows in turkey/prime rib and fixings (I'm hosting the holiday).

If we stopped at the ABC Lounge first, I could potentially be persuaded to dress as the Count. But that would have to be an ABC-123 (ah, ah, ah) run...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Another MP run accomplished last night.

(Paul) Wietecha believes in running hungry in long training runs for marathon:

I also run all of my long runs on an empty stomach, without taking in any carbohydrates during the workout. A major factor in the marathon is teaching your body to burn fats faster, which spares carbohydrates, thus delaying the "wall." If you want to teach your body to react well in a low carbohydrate state, you need to practice it. That's why I never understand people who are religious about taking in carbohydrates while they run. They make that individual run better and feel a little better the next day but they aren't forcing their body to adapt and are hurting their eventual marathon performance. While in the speed phase, I try and turn my body into a sports car, during the marathon phase, I try to turn that sports car into a hybrid. I know I'll lose some speed and power, but they key is to improve my gas mileage and efficiency at marathon pace (Joe Rubio said something similar to that, so I have to give credit to him).

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2012/03/interview-scott-wietecha.html

(PS - his log is on RA)

philibusters

I have seen arguments on both sides and they both make sense.  If you are well fueled you will get slightly better long runs in which will give you slightly better conditioning.  However, your conditioning may not translate well into a race if you runs have not been like race conditions at all.  By contrast training under situations similar to race conditions means you will not lose much fitness in the translation from training to the race, but you may not quite have the same level of fitness.

philibusters

Perry, do you have any interest in this race... http://athletic-equation.com/ICY-8_HR_ATR.html ?

philibusters

Also wasn't it just a couple weeks ago, DR pointed out he had the same mileage for me for the month of December.  Now is around double what I am.  What happened?