The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Also wasn't it just a couple weeks ago, DR pointed out he had the same mileage for me for the month of December.  Now is around double what I am.  What happened?

Phil, you pressed your advantage during the time period in which I tapered for Jingle Bell and then took six days off following the race. Thus you'd actually pulled ahead of me in December mileage by Friday, 12/14 --- but then the next day I switched on my marathon training and soon soared ahead. Meanwhile, though I'm up to 48 miles this week, my average pace for the week is still sub-7:00/mi (mainly due to the rare occurrence of a major Steady State, a decent Breezily Brisk, and a large Intense Interval session having all taken place in the span of 5 days).

philibusters

For the month now I am at 100 miles to your 175 miles.  I remember when 110 or 115 miles would have been a disappointing month.  Now I feel like I made a step in the right direction with my 110 to 115 mile month.    Actual I plan on going long on Sunday (10 miles) so I actually could end up in the 115 to 120 range for the month.

philibusters

I talked to Joe yesterday on the phone. Sounds like he is not running that much right now, but he believes his foot is more or less healed.  He hopes to use January as a time to build up his mileage, but because he has put on 5 to 10 pounds in the last 3 months since he last ran regularly and because he is dealing with a stress fracture he does not want to come back to quick.  We'd figure it would be realistic for him to start at 30 miles a week then go up 5 miles a week until he hits 50 so he has a base.  But that would only leave him 3 to 4 weeks to do workouts off that base. Joe said he'd like to do well at the Marathon, but he doesn't feel he has enough time to get in shape to challenge DR based on the analysis from the previous sentence.

Even if Joe gets back to running however, don't expect any logging.  Joe's Garmin Forerunner is not working and he is not going to purchase a new one until he starts to run regularly.

philibusters

Also DR beat out Perry for the mileage crown last week.   Thinking about it, a year has 52 weeks.  I bet you can count on one hand (and if not almost definitely two hands), the amount of weeks Perry didn't take home the mileage crown this year.

Durrr

I believe I've only defied Perry twice in the weekly mileage crown since July (when I ran an 80-mile week back in September, Perry ran 80.2 miles that same week) --- though Perry might see both of those instances differently on account of his curious Mon-Sun settings (as opposed to the proper Sun-Sat). Meanwhile I'm at the point of sacrificing some mileage in an effort to defeat this sneezy-snotty sickness I'm suffering.

It's a bit baffling for me to think that Joe is doubtful that he'll be able to run 13.1 miles by 01/27/13 --- but is hopeful that he'll be able to run 26.2 miles (and well!) just 6 weeks later on 03/10/13.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I count yesterday and today as the same weekend. If you count then as separate weekends, as DR does, then it seems to me that he will see rather pointless? variations in observed weekly mileage when a "weekend long run" is moved from Sat to Sun, or Sun to Sat -- I don't distinguish a Sat long run from a Sun long run.

On an unrelated training note, DR's long run from last weekend seems to bode well for a very fast marathon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

I believe I've only defied Perry twice in the weekly mileage crown since July (when I ran an 80-mile week back in September, Perry ran 80.2 miles that same week) --- though Perry might see both of those instances differently on account of his curious Mon-Sun settings (as opposed to the proper Sun-Sat). Meanwhile I'm at the point of sacrificing some mileage in an effort to defeat this sneezy-snotty sickness I'm suffering.

It's a bit baffling for me to think that Joe is doubtful that he'll be able to run 13.1 miles by 01/27/13 --- but is hopeful that he'll be able to run 26.2 miles (and well!) just 6 weeks later on 03/10/13.

I think Joe is considering the half marathon.

At this point, I think Joe has pretty ruled out running a personal best at LPRM.  I think he would be happy running something respectable.  I think if Joe got his act together right now he may even be able to push 3 hours (though I don't think he has enough time to break it).

I am waivering between goals.  Part of me, just wants to run something respectable for me, maybe a 3:40 or faster.   On the other hand, if I throw all my chips in right now, I could still hope to beat last year's 3:19:37 as the truth is though it is pretty easy to forget is that last year at this time, I was in very similar shape to the type of shape I am in now.   I remember that long hard run with DR after the CBRC award banquet.  I was making progress and transitioning into shape, I also had very tired legs as I was having my best mileage week (I think I hit 60 that week--from my previous high being around the low 40's) when DR was pushing the pace on me. I also had new shoes.  That just ended up being a frustrating run, but I still felt good after the run I was making good progress in getting back to shape, that run just hit me at a bad spot.

Is anybody interested in like a 20 miler after the award banquet this year.   I wouldn't mind pushing the pace for part of the run (like 8 flatish pace), but at this point 20 miles is too long for  me to push the pace the entire 20 mile run.  If the run was in mid February and I am making good progress that may be a good workout, but January 12th is too early for that.

Durrr

I'm supposed to go long this weekend, but on the 12th I'll strive to get my workout (a 17-mile steady state) knocked out before the CBRC awards breakfast.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is anybody interested in like a 20 miler after the award banquet this year.   I wouldn't mind pushing the pace for part of the run (like 8 flatish pace), but at this point 20 miles is too long for  me to push the pace the entire 20 mile run.  If the run was in mid February and I am making good progress that may be a good workout, but January 12th is too early for that.

I would be except that I'm sure we're planning to run before the awards ceremony. What about 10 before and 10 after?

Joe and DR - are you attending the Awards Breakfast and run?

Durrr

I won't be able to make the run, but would I still be able to acquire base access for the breakfast (or maybe just the post-breakfast awards) if wasn't able to arrive until nigh 10 a.m.?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Joe (or whoever): What's your thinking on

contiguous vs repeat MP segments

I've been doing my goal-MP runs contiguous b/c I like that idea, plus saw that on some web article on Hansons. But of course I recall doing 5K goal-MP run repeats with you in the past - I had anticipated doing some with you this winter, before your foot issue

goal MP run pacing

Today I looked at my watch a lot for the first three miles, then never looked at it again (8mi MP run). Pace in workout shows as 6:41 (goal is 6:53). Is it better to err on the side of running a bit easier, or a bit harder, than goal pace? I suppose I should really be asking, a bit easier than goal effort, or a bit harder?

Also, are you interested in running some 6:50is runs any time soon?

I won't be able to make the run, but would I still be able to acquire base access for the breakfast (or maybe just the post-breakfast awards) if wasn't able to arrive until nigh 10 a.m.?

As far as I know, that should be fine.  I will have Tami put your name on the list for Base access.  It should be at the gate that morning.  If you have any trouble just give Perry a call on the cell.

You could do your run on Base.  The loop is 10 miles.  Perry and I plan on being there before 7.30am.  He is actually thinking about starting his run about that time.

Have you ever run the Base loop?

philibusters

Is it better to err on the side of running a bit easier, or a bit harder, than goal pace? I suppose I should really be asking, a bit easier than goal effort, or a bit harder?

Also, are you interested in running some 6:50is runs any time soon?

Ugh, you were worded the question is a tricky way. I would guess it is better to run a little bit faster than goal effort IF you feel like your still in the aerobic zone.   On the other hand, if you felt it was becoming a bit anaerobic, you probably would have been better off slowing down a bit.  The goal is to mimic marathon running.  If you go anaerobic in a marathon early, you are probably going to miss your PR by 5 to 10 minutes (I think you learned that at that Delaware marathon), so its probably important to make sure when you do marathon pace race, you don't turn it into a LT run (which for you I think is probably in the 6:15 range).

Durrr

No, I've never run on base before. Yet though I've had the TNT South in mind for my crucial workout, a 10-mile loop would certainly make the route less redundant. Except I should need to get started no later than 7 a.m. if I hope to have everything wrapped up by 9:30 a.m. Would there be convenient bathroom amenities available for those running on base?

As far as MP, I'd say that --- as long as you're still enjoying a fine, fun, fluid flow --- it's ok to exceed your target pace. But if your pace is slowing despite a consistent effort, then it may be time to push yourself beyond the steady state comfort zone. This is the key to improving from one steady state to the next. When I did a 16-mile SS on 12/23/12, my target pace was 6:17/mi (I ended up with 6:19/mi). Yet though I began splendidly with a 6:10 opening split, by mile 11 I was working much harder just to stay <6:30, and it took a hard tempo effort to get back down to 6:10 for mile 15 (and then an all but all out effort could only get me down to 6:01 in the final mile, for fatigue was frank). My hope, however, is that the way I struggled in the latter miles of that steady --- when I was slipping into an anaerobic zone just to maintain the pace that had been aerobic earlier on --- will have forced me to adapt for the next big steady state, so that either A) the fatigue will arrive much later in the run or B) the fatigue will fall similarly, except maybe this time I'll be straining to keep <6:25/mi rather than struggling to stay <6:30/mi toward the end. I'd say that this was apparent between the two major SSs I ran in September ( #1, #2).

I'm getting demolished this week:

NameDistance ▼Time
                                AmoresPerros 51.8 mi 7:01:49
                                philibusters 28 mi 4:16:19
                                Soprano 20.3 mi 2:42:00
                                Durrr 1 mi 7:54