The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

My watch did come in, but I haven't gotten to run outside yet to test it. It's also been so wet that I still can't run on grass! Argh!

Since I have to go home to exercise regardless I'd consider driving to Patuxent, except that with the weather supposedly being terrible I'm not very inclined to make such a long trip in such torrents.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

More like 1830. Storm is predicted for later, as of now.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This week's steady-state only 5mi, but that's ok. Hopefully longer next week.

philibusters

Pending on what DR ran tonight, it could be an interesting mileage battle between DR and Perry this week.

I am in very similar shape to what I was in last year at this time, but last year I just felt like I had a little bit more momentum for whatever reason.  Still my goal is only to best last year's marathon time so a 3:19:36 would accomplish that goal just fine as that would beat last year's time by 1 second.

Joe and Perry what are your thoughts on the marathon?    It seems like Perry has slightly more focused training this year and is running his mileage at a slightly faster pace.  With Joe its hard to gauge but my instinct is he won't have enough time to specialize his training  for a certain time goal so his main goal between now and the marathon will be to improve his general conditioning and to work on the long run.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It is quite an unusual post-race week for DR - usually that means recovery with cross-training, but this week he's doing high mileage instead.

And Phil is running a lot Tue-Thu.

philibusters

DR has a 22 miler scheduled for Saturday so if he runs 7 today he'll finish with 90 for the week.  DR already broke my weekly mileage record of around 70 last year, but this would break Joe's as I don't remember Joe ever going over the low 80's.  I

Durrr

DR has a 22 miler scheduled for Saturday so if he runs 7 today he'll finish with 90 for the week.

Precisely, Phil! Typically I would prefer more recovery following a race, but it's too late in the game now, and I've missed too much mileage since Christmas. My intention is to run four consecutive big weeks of 80 or more miles and then start tapering on 2/24.

I ran 5.31 miles yesterday (four loops of my Abberly Crest route). With the potential exception of the CBRC breakfast that is the furthest I've run in a long time. I became aware of feeling in the spot of my previous injury with a mile to go. If I continue to feel something a few miles in, then my progress won't move quickly. It's a question of whether I can push that feeling out to 26.2 miles by March.

I hoped to use this Saturday's run at SMRSP as an excuse to get in over 7 miles in one run. After this morning's wet snow I'm highly skeptical that the course will be dry, so now it's a question of whether I think any of my shoes are up to the task of mudslinging.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We just ran the course, and there were muddy stretches, but running on the grass alongside avoids most of the mud. The primary muddy stretch is on the new section, where it is too flat for decent drainage.

In fact I forgot about that and wore my shoes inside -- they seem ok. Guess I hit some water somewhere that cleaned them enough.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So to out-mileage DR I have to run over 20mi tomorrow. Hm. A trail race isn't going to help that go easily.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The last couple years we've tried Nicolletti's and Olive Garden for dinner the night before the marathon, but there is a big swim meet that can saturate both restaurants that night. We've been talking about options in the Piney Pt area (Tall Timbers marina restaurant is out - their people are tied up that weekend), and tomorrow we're tentatively planning to go try eating at Chief's, to see what it is like. But it's hard to say when we'll be going to eat, because this will be a long, slow trail race, and running out on the course to pull the markers will take a while too. I'm guessing it won't be til 1PM or later. Joe or DR, if either of you guys feel like coming, I could text you -- or maybe Joe will be with us at the River Park helping to clean up.

philibusters

I got a 20 miler tomorrow that I am nervous about.  I am looking forward to see what DR and Perry run today.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Phil, are we running to Pt Lookout one of these weekends? I forget when we were talking about doing it.

philibusters

I just did the math.  Perry is going to hit a milestone on Wednesday.   3 straight years of running without missing a day.  365 x 3 = 1095 + 1 because one of the year was a leap year.  So he'll hit 1096 consecutive days on Wednesday.

philibusters

Phil, are we running to Pt Lookout one of these weekends? I forget when we were talking about doing it.

How about next weekend?  I think from the college to Point Lookout and back is around 25 miles.   Maybe we can work something out where we have a car at Point Lookout or at least the closest place to Point Lookout with free parking so that we can get refreshments mid way through the run.