The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Whoa did Perry miss a day of running?

Surely not just a couple days before Perry would be set to hit day 1111 of his streak.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Whoa did Perry miss a day of running logging?

Yes, yes he did.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

One might think that Phil's performance today would make him eligible for a different special award at next year's awards list...  (1)

BTW, DR, did you see the special awards list in the recent newsletter?

Footnotes:

(1) And I'm not talking about "most likely to run 70 miles as a training run in preparation for his first 50-miler"... although....

Durrr

Most Likely to Turn a Workout into a Race: David Raley

Nice. Though this one was eyebrow-raising ...

Most Likely to be Encountered in Hospital or Childbirth Class: Caitlyn Kogel

Is she expecting --- or does she just work in a maternity ward or midwifery?

Congratulations on the >100 mile week. Aside from potentially setting a PR in the marathon, this may be one of the biggest accomplishments of the year for you. It's one of those statistics to have in your back pocket in case you ever need a trump card at a cocktail party. What's most impressive is your average pace for the week, which makes it an even harder achievement. I don't know that I'd ever be able to log 100 miles at your average pace.

Durrr

On past occasions when Perry had triple digit mileage weeks (based on this graph, I see that, over the past five years, he's touched or exceeded 100 miles in a week some five times {usually around the end/beginning of the year}, with approximately 115 miles being his all time week high), I marvelled at how one could possibly squeeze so many miles into a week without turning into Karsten Brown. Last week, however, I devised a strategy for achieving 10(1) that actually felt quite reasonable. A minor long run on Sunday, a big double day on Tuesday, a late evening on the track on Thursday, and then a major long run on Saturday were the primary steps up to triple digits; the rest was just typical Monday-Wednesday-Friday mileage filler (meanwhile Tuesday evening's Breezily Brisk, Thursday's Intense Interval session, and Saturday's progressively swift Long Lasting --- plus not letting any other mileage lag too slow --- were all I needed to get the week's overall average pace sub-7:30/mi).

This graph of all my weeks since I started logging shows a distinct volume disparity between my three most recent weeks and almost everything that's come before (it's eerily similar to this tallest building comparison chart).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Caitlyn just finished nursing school - so she was doing rotations through the various departments. She was actually at Amy's childbirth class.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Certainly my biggest mileage period was two years ago.

From the first week of the year: 87, 92.8, 106.6, 106, 102.2, 86.8

I just made a daily graph of that time, and am surprised to see that there really isn't any stretch of days where I ran at least 15mi each day.

/logs/328d2d63609042099bc341d7b881e24e/reports/graph?g12=2011-01-01&l12=2011-02-28&e10=10&t=0&x=12&y=20

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DR - thanks for pointing out my duplicated run. I accidentally uploaded Crystal's run from two days ago in place of my run from yesterday - they were similar enough that I didn't notice.

Durrr

It's clear to see here that January 2011 was by far your most outrageous month of running ever.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Significant success at ice bath for legs today.

Significant success at ice bath for legs today.

Yea, 3 ice baths (there was also success in giving the brain an ice bath as well).

Durrr

I felt like I'd had an ice bath, even though I was never submerged (I was lucky that I never slipped and fell into the many puddles along the Three Notch Trail South). But my dilemma was that I was exposed to the frigid wet elements from 8 a.m. until after 11 a.m. with only the park port-a-potty to take refuge in.

It's safe to say that I've really turned my running around since that half-marathon --- because over the ensuing 4 weeks/28 days, I've done a complete 360!

2/17/2013 – 2/23/2013: 87.0 mi 10:36:15 7:19 / mi
                            2/10/2013 – 2/16/2013: 101.0 mi 12:31:29 7:27 / mi
                            2/3/2013 – 2/9/2013: 82.0 mi 10:17:02 7:32 / mi
                            1/27/2013 – 2/2/2013: 90.0 mi 11:13:49 7:30 / mi

And this has certainly never been so high:

Last 30 days: 370.0 mi 45:56:48 7:28 / mi

Except now I'm going to have to wait and see whether my left foot (more the inner side ankle, actually) is just temporarily kinked up or if this will be a lasting issue.

philibusters

Except now I'm going to have to wait and see whether my left foot (more the inner side ankle, actually) is just temporarily kinked up or if this will be a lasting issue.

Now is about the time to start dropping the mileage a little bit so the kinks came at the right time.  Right when you were going to reduce your training anyway.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Unusual, unplanned 20mi workout for me today.

1mi w/u

rest

2mi w/u

rest

10mi @ 10mi race pace

1mi w/d

long rest

6mi easy