The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Crystal's Monday logging reveals that Perry most definitely did not take the day off:

Date: 3/11/2013 4:55 PM
    Type: Easy
    Course: Chancellor's Run Park
    Distance: 5 miles
    Duration: 41:14.57
    Pace: 8:15 / mile
    Equipment: Brooks Adrenaline GTS13 (Green)
    Weather: 53° F, Windy, Partly Cloudy
    Notes: easy run with P
    philibusters

Good catch DR.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That logging got delayed for the usual reason (for me); I keep forgetting to go look what shoes I wore.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Perry, I may have misinterpreted your text message. I took it to mean you would be running at Patuxent High School tonight, but I think you meant last night.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yep, it was last night. Tonight I'll probably run WW or PHS again.

Well, my schedule for the next week and a half is thoroughly confusing, so I don't know when I'll be running. I'm really excited about running these days, too, so it's disappointing. Things should at least normalize a bit in April.

philibusters

Perry you need to post your Sunday running.  Your training log has you on a two day streak of running which is probably substantially shorter than your actual streak of consecutive days of running.

I don't think I am going to make it home this week.  I was planning on coming home this weekend, but my parents asked me to delay it for a week so that it would concide with Easter.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Training program is meeting at TNT-South today.

philibusters

Looking back at DR's Thursday run, I cannot help but think how close DR was to running a sub 2:45 marathon.

Ultimately it is a well known observation that there is a thin line between being in peak physical shape and being injured.  The great coaches often are the coaches who walk their athletes along that line well.    If DR makes it thru that last workout beat up but uninjured he goes into taper mode and would be well rested enough to have likely run a very fast marathon and not got injured.

The other thing is that I don't think DR realizes how tough his steady state runs are.  I ran 27 miles with Perry at easy pace and I ran 18.6 miles as part of a race (where I was racing) and racing the 30K just took a much bigger toll on my body than running 27 miles at easy pace.  My experience has always been that running either as fast as you can or close to it, takes more of a toll than running long distances.  For example a four mile tempo is way tougher on the body than an eight mile easy run.   That is true of long runs too.  Thus my advice to Dr is that in the future he should end the toughest part of his training with an easy long run rather than tough tempo.  Or alternatively finish up the high mileage part of his training four weeks in advance, taper for a week, run a 30K at race pace or close to it, then taper for the marathon, but you don't want to do a long quality run right when your body is at its most worn down state.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, I was fine the following week after the 27-miler; in fact, I don't think anything I did during that training cycle took a very serious toll on me -- or if so, I don't recall it at the moment.

Durrr

I long debated whether I should have my biggest long run or my longest steady state be the final major workout of my marathon training, and I actually decided that the long run would have a heavier impact, as it would be close to 3 hours of running as opposed to just under 2 hours. Thus I scheduled my 24-mile long run three weeks out from the marathon and my steady state two weeks out. That was, after all, essentially what I'd done before my successful 2012 LPR10:  I did a 20-mile long run three weeks before the race and then a 17-mile, fast finish steady state two weeks before. So if it worked for the 10-miler, why wouldn't it also work for the marathon? Alas it would seem that I was dealing with an entirely different beast, and now I know that it was folly to run the equivalent of 70% of a marathon race just 15 days before the big day. And beyond that, it was likely overreaching to cram in a trio of 20-mile + long runs, a half-marathon race, and 2 steady state long runs all between 01/05/2013 and 02/23/2013 whilst drastically increasing my mileage starting in the final week of January. In retrospect, perhaps I should've shortened that 24-mile long run on 02/16/2013 down to 22 miles but made it something like 1st 10 miles at regular long run pace, 2nd 10 miles at steady state pace, final 2 miles at hard tempo pace --- and then eliminated the 19-mile steady steady state on 02/23/2013.

After yesterday morning's modest long run, I feel like coming back ... though the inner side of my left foot remains swollen even after a whole month.

Meeting this Saturday at 9am at Solomon's Pavilion for a run.  I'm hoping to go at least 16 miles at 8-8.30 pace.

Invited a lot of other people, but not sure who will show.

philibusters

I should be able to make the Saturday run.

Durrr

On April 6th I'll be moving into Phil's old Lexington Park apartment (well, the same apartment complex), so I hope to start making more appearances at St. Mary's College, as well as perhaps Lancaster Park and Chancellor's Run Park (which I've never been to) plus perhaps some more residential runs around Abberly Crest or the Rapps' fine neighborhood. As Phil can surely attest, the running space right around St. Mary's Landing is rather limited (and I wouldn't even consider running along Pegg Rd or Great Mills Rd) --- though they do have numerous treadmills available in the fitness center there.

philibusters

Joe apartment complex is only a 6 minute drive away for early morning pre work runs.