The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

The rain (and my aversion to running in it) was most unfortunate yesterday evening, for, had the weather been fair, I would've proceeded to Lancaster Park as originally planned --- where I would've run right into Perry and Crystal, et al!

Durrr

I keep thinking that I'm close to keeping up with Perry in mileage this week --- but then I remember that he has an ace up his sleeve:  his Monday mileage remains an unlogged mystery! Meanwhile it was unfortunate to see this on Phil's log:

Run: 250 mi in 43 days

Time's up.
      You did not reach your goal.

You are 65.3 mi behind the pace bunny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I only ran 5K that day. I just keep forgetting to go count back shoes, so I can log it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I had a decent week or two of training where I ran more than 50% of the days and there may have even been a week where I exceeded 30 miles. I've been lucky to keep up with DR on our occasional morning runs. This past weekend I ate poorly and failed to run. I stepped on a scale last night and I was about 10 lbs heavier than I thought I might have gotten down to at the start of last week. It really seems like I packed weight on over the weekend. To punish me for poor habits my foot decided to start hurting again, which I used to justify even worse eating and less exercise. But then today I've exercised twice already and my foot is feeling better. There is justice in the world.

I think I need to start trying harder workouts when my foot can handle them. My body doesn't have enough motivation to reshape itself because nothing I'm doing is terribly challenging.

Durrr

While I know for a fact that Joe has been getting in decent exercise every Wednesday, I'm very curious as to what is going on down Phil's way. Is it just a lack of logging --- or a lack of things to log?

These Monday morning runs are nigh-impossible to pull off. The best case scenario is that I get home at 10pm and wake up at 5am, which gives me 7 hours of sleep. But getting to bed that quickly isn't realistic, so I'm guaranteed less than 7 hours of sleep due to my current Sunday activities. That just makes it tough to run Monday mornings. I put in a load of laundry last night and waited so I could switch it to the dryer. That added about an hour or more. I woke up for the run today and debated whether I should run. I felt like I would be able to complete the run in a lethargic state where I never felt smooth and every stride was like doing leg extensions on a machine. I didn't feel particularly fat from the weekend, so didn't have a big desire to run for the sake of burning calories. It almost seemed like my metabolism would work better just by getting more sleep and that I'd feel healthiest doing that.

As I told DR the night before, my body looks for any excuse to cancel a Monday morning run.

I realize DR has an even tighter Sunday-Monday schedule, but does not make excuses.

Durrr

I have failed at many a Monday morning run. Sometimes accidentally --- like two weeks ago when I neglected to arm the buzzer on my alarm --- and sometimes when I, like you this morning, simply woke up with the opinion of "oh hellll no" in regard to going for a run. With days like today, however, when I have much to do after work, it's either run in the a.m. or not at all (I lack Perry's propensity for runs that go until well after 7 p.m.). But Monday mornings have been bitter as of late. After not arriving home until 10:30 p.m. last night, it was nigh 11 by the time I actually hit the sack --- and then my upstairs neighbor arrived noisily some time after midnight (every weekend he departs on Saturday morning and doesn't return until very late Sunday night/Monday morning). And then my training to be bathroom ready for an early morning run (plus staying hydrated throughout the night) often works too well when nature calls at 3 a.m. ... and then before I know it the alarm is going off at 4:09 a.m. (snooze was struck two, possibly three times today). So I've become unfortunately accustomed to running off of barely 4 hours of real sleep. Ugh, and I realized that Tuesday will be the only day this work week in which I won't have to get up in the 4 a.m. hour to run (I intend to do hills tomorrow evening). Friday mornings are the worst, though. By that point I'm way weary from having already arisen early several days during the week (and usually there's been a significant Thursday workout to recover from), and I've stayed up until 11 p.m. watching NBC's Thursday night drama Hannibal, but yet I need to make it over the laundry facility by shortly after 5 a.m. so that I can commence my washing machine and treadmill routine.

Perhaps on one of these Monday mornings when Joe is poised to cancel, he'll think of this stirring theme and suddenly have a change of heart. "Where are you going??" Emily will demand when Joe goes flying out of the apartment at 5:30 a.m. And he'll reply, "I'm going on ... an adventure! Er, a 7-mile run with DR."

philibusters

While I know for a fact that Joe has been getting in decent exercise every Wednesday, I'm very curious as to what is going on down Phil's way. Is it just a lack of logging --- or a lack of things to log?

I only ran 15 miles last week.  I am battling a minor calf injury, but can do slowly easy runs (so that excuse is only so good--I really cannot do speed workouts now though).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

calf injury, skipping running workouts, no logging

Phil: You need to quit channeling Joe.

It's all part of the secret plan.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Tonight's w/o was 8x400 @ 5K pace w 200 recovery at abt HM pace. Except Sara said 6:45 sounded fast for a recovery pace and said I could slip my recoveries to 7:00. So MP for recovery for me.

Discussing it afterward w Crystal, I realized that I usually don't look at my watch much during these workouts. Tonight I never looked at my watch during the workout. First off, I was tired immediately and all through it, and secondly, I probably couldn't have computed either 5:40/4 or 7:00/8 in my head once I started running.

But also Sara told me a couple times through that I was on pace, so that probably also disinclined me to worry about the pacing.

Am going to upload my w/o from watch to see how it compares to what I was supposed to do.

If you ran according to effort and got through it, then you probably accomplished the point of the workout.

True half marathon pace is tempo pace means the workout is more like a short tempo to the heart. I don't see where there's any real recovery in it! You'll end up running almost 2.5 miles at pretty close to your 5k average pace.

Durrr

A 200 is very brief for a recovery to begin with, and thus accelerating it to tempo pace makes for an extreme interval set.

Curious that Joe was forum'n just 12 minutes before we commenced running today.

Gearing up for ES6.  Time for an 18 miler on Saturday.  Phil, you should come visit and join us.  Don't know pace yet, but hopefully between 8-9 min. miles. We shall see - the last two long runs did not go well for me (and one of them was only 10 miles).

I'll be out of town and unable to meet you all for the run. Good luck with it, though. The best part of a long run is the relatively guilt-free reloading of calories after.