The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Strangely enough, I often end up feeling the drowsiest on days in which I "sleep in" past 6 a.m. and don't run before work. Then I'm faced with the tiresome awareness of knowing I'll need to run after work rather than having the satisfaction of being long since done with the running.

Tomorrow at the track series I'll work the finish area if most people are running, but if a lot of help shows up I'll probably just go jog again during the actual events. I was thinking we may want to set up a water stop on the track for the 3000, which may necessitate extra (and small) cups. I can pick those up if we think it's a good idea. If we set it up on the back stretch, then spilled water won't interfere with the 200m.

Thanks Joe. Good idea.  If you are available to pick up said cups, that would be very welcome.  Will you help me to remember to setup the table and cups? (I'm not always good at remembering things like that on the fly).

Will do! I may not get there until close to the start, but I'll be there.

Durrr

Damn, Phil went hard in the heat this evening. He's definitely ready for Endless Summer as far as temperatures are concerned.

philibusters

I have to think that Perry and I probably have the best adjustments to the heat with Joe and Crystal not far behind.  The best way to adjust to the heat is to run every day in it.  The next best way is to do what Crystal and Joe do and that is to run in it 4 or 5 days a week.

Durrr

Speaking of dealing with the heat, I had a tough choice to make this morning. There was the noble route of getting up shortly after 4 a.m. on my day off so that I could hopefully begin my long run in Piney Point before the sunrise --- though I knew that it would already be over 80 degrees before 6 a.m., with smothering humidity, and that the run would likely become a searing struggle in the final miles. Or I could just sleep in a couple hours later and go to the air-conditioned fitness center where I could conveniently take care of my long run on the treadmill. Considering how poorly acclimated to the heat I am this summer, I'm sure you can guess which option I went with. Oh well.

philibusters

Speaking of dealing with the heat, I had a tough choice to make this morning. There was the noble route of getting up shortly after 4 a.m. on my day off so that I could hopefully begin my long run in Piney Point before the sunrise --- though I knew that it would already be over 80 degrees before 6 a.m., with smothering humidity, and that the run would likely become a searing struggle in the final miles. Or I could just sleep in a couple hours later and go to the air-conditioned fitness center where I could conveniently take care of my long run on the treadmill. Considering how poorly acclimated to the heat I am this summer, I'm sure you can guess which option I went with. Oh well.

I think you made the right choice.  As bad as it was, once you get used to it, it becomes more bearable--it never feels good though.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Joe, I guessed way too high when you asked me what my mileage would be like this week. But I hadn't been paying any attention. Clearly it's going to be very low.

MTA - my lowest of the year, clearly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DR - Condolences on the breakfast failure. But congratulations on having the highest mileage for the week, in my view:

Name ▲DistanceTime
                    AmoresPerros 44.5 mi 6:07:39
                    Durrr 53 mi 6:27:43
                    philibusters 49.6 mi 6:54:59
                    Soprano 35.5 mi 4:46:08

I think I'll pass on Tuesday's mile race, in light of being very pleased with my performance this morning, and in light of the six hour run at the end of the week. Or at least just tempo it rather than racing it.

philibusters

Probably at aobut the same time Perry was running his 5:03 mile, I took an attempt to run a fast mile in practice.  I knew I could easily beat that 5:42 mile I ran on Tuesday even if I wasn't in a race.  I wasn't all by myself, I had talked Mike, the guy I usually train with into trying it with me.  He ended up not being that helpful though because he was so much faster than me.  I ran a 5:36.  I was disappointed, but I knew I was going to run about 10 seconds off what I think I am capable of running by myself without the adrenaline of a race.  Mike PR'ed in 5:12 taking 12 seconds off his previous PR of 5:24 but he is only been running for two years so if doesn't race a distance for six months he PR is dated much more so than me who has four years of running now.

Durrr

By my view, Phil greatly trumped everyone in mileage last week:

NameDistance ▼Time
                        philibusters 67.9 mi 9:28:45
                        AmoresPerros 56.6 mi 7:47:29
                        philibusters

By my view, Phil greatly trumped everyone in mileage last week:

NameDistance ▼Time
                          philibusters 67.9 mi 9:28:45
                          AmoresPerros 56.6 mi 7:47:29

I have 63.7 Monday thru Sunday, so Perry would have to run just under 20 miles today to take the weekly mileage crown.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Phil, your long run pace went up & down today - some kind of fast sections in there?

Durrr

It's amusing to me that, though Phil still rarely writes any commentary at all in his log entries, he had much to say recently in his calorie intake blurbs (viewable only when you click on his Calendar section ... though it looks like this custom began to peter out two weeks ago, and since last week has fallen by the wayside).

philibusters

It's amusing to me that, though Phil still rarely writes any commentary at all in his log entries, he had much to say recently in his calorie intake blurbs (viewable only when you click on his Calendar section ... though it looks like this custom began to peter out two weeks ago, and since last week has fallen by the wayside).

I still track my calories daily at another site (one designed to track calories).  I had a rough weekend on the diet front, 3900 calories Friday, 4300 calories Saturday and 3400 calories Sunday.  On the weekend I had a calorie surplus, but not as much as you would think because of the 36 miles I ran over those three days.