The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

philibusters

Since June of last year I have been focusing on training for a marathon (first Marine Corp, then Shamrock), now I am at a loss for what to train for.   I am going to take today off, then I going to start running again tomorrow with an easy 3 miler.  But I am not sure what my goal is---41 miles for the six hour run, break 18:15 in the 5K and break 5:10 in the mile are all possibilities, as is shooting for sub 38 at Crofton.

Durrr

After my run this evening --- the first since March 9 --- I'm thinking I might have to cool my ambitions for the immediate future (though hopefully I'll feel less rusty tomorrow).

Durrr

Meanwhile it seems that Joe might need a couple more weeks of post-daylight savings adjustment before he can again successfully manage to join me for an early morning treadmill run.

philibusters

I ended up taking an unplanned third day of recovery... planned to run, but just felt tired and lazy after work.  New training cycle begins tomorrow.  Preliminary goals are sub 18:15 5K, sub 38 min 10K.  I think I could run about 18:50 and 38:45 respectively right now in those two races.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You should be able to run a lot faster than that, according to Michael Arnstein.

He says (M = mile PR):

Distance Pace
            5K M+20s/mi
            HM M+45s/mi
            mara M+1min/mi
            50mi M+1:45-2:00 min/mi
            100K M+2 min/mi
            100mi M+3min/mi
            24hrs M+4-4:30min/mi

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

As Phil works to improve his 5k and 10k times, it will indeed be crucial for him to keep in mind how his pacing would translate to 100-mile and 24-hour running events.

However, I don't agree with what that table says for marathon. With some focused speed work, I think I could get my mile time close to 5:00 --- but that doesn't mean I could run a marathon at 6:00/mi!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Arnstein says the table is valid for Gebrselassie (3:50 mile, 4:50 MP), and for himself (4:30 mile, 5:30 MP). If nothing else, it shows that those guys really are incredible at how they can project their speed out a long way.

Maybe if you cut out all that stuff that is bad for you (meat, sugar, dairy, processed food), and lived on fruit, like Arnstein, you could too. But I'm not doing that.

I do wonder what it takes to run a marathon at M+1min/mi.

philibusters

If I could run a marathon only one minute slower than my mile time, then I would probably be able to beat DR.  I think I could run a mile in the low 5:20's lets say 5:23, add a minute to that and I'd run a 2:46, 3 minutes faster than DR.

In reality, there is about a minute and forty five seconds between my mile and marathon pace.

Durrr

For non-elites, perhaps it would be more practical to say that your ideal marathon pace is 1:00/mi slower than your 5k pace. That's close to how my PRs worked out:

Your personal records, often referred to as "PRs", consist of your best time for races of a given distance. Below is the list of your PRs automatically generated from the race results you entered.

DistanceTimePaceEventDate 
                    5.00 km 16:48 5:25 Solomons 12/7/2013  
                    10.00 km 35:30 5:43 Crofton 6/9/2012  
                    10.00 mi 57:57 5:48 Piney Point/St. George's Island 10/14/2012  
                    Half Marathon 1:19:27 6:04 Carderock Park/C&O Canal Towpath 1/27/2013  
                    Marathon 2:49:02 6:28 Piney Point/St. George's Island/Rt. 249 3/9/2014  

philibusters

Does anybody know if Joe is still running?  I know he had some Achilles issues after the St. Mary's River State Park race, but not sure if he is back to regular running.

Durrr

I think he said he went to SMCM for a brief run after volun-cheering at the LPRM. Meanwhile, Phil, I'm a bit baffled that yesterday you ran 10 miles and labeled it "Default" --- but then today your ran 9.8 miles and labeled it "Long".

philibusters

I think he said he went to SMCM for a brief run after volun-cheering at the LPRM. Meanwhile, Phil, I'm a bit baffled that yesterday you ran 10 miles and labeled it "Default" --- but then today your ran 9.8 miles and labeled it "Long".

I made a post Shamrock training plan and Sundays are designated as long run day so Running Ahead will designate my Sunday runs as long if I don't go in and change it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Joe said he was busy last week. We're hoping he'll show up & run/walk (depending on Achilles) this week.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Apparently Phil needs a run type "Medium Beeping Run"

I'm not running regularly. I'm probably getting 5 to 10 miles per week right now if I'm lucky. The achilles is improving; it just takes a long time to do correctly. I've been doing some push ups and crunches to try and burn calories and I'm walking to try and stay slim. I probably walk 15+ miles per week. I walked 10 miles on Sunday, but that was a fluke.