The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

philibusters

Sunday, maybe 9ish.   I will call you today.

I won't be surprised if the rain forecast for Wednesday means they postpone the 2 mile base race until Thursday, which presents a conflict for me and means I can't run the race. If that's the case, I could have run more on Sunday with you all, but not really since I had plans with my parents for right after I ran. I enjoyed the run regardless and hope the rest of it went well for you both.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think it went well.

I got tired in Ridge, and Phil decided not to do the fast finish--I think he was taking into account your advice about a very long run with fast finish might need too much recovery at this point.

I felt a bit faint afterward, and we stopped for sugary drinks at St Inigoes on the way driving back to Memorial (to retrieve aid car), which restored me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

I felt pretty good throughout the run.  4 weeks ago I ran a trail marathon and 3 weeks ago I ran 25 miles with Perry so I was pretty adjusted to long runs.  Fatigue wise I felt great, was tired, but not hurting.  Unfortuantely the high mileage is taking a toll on my knees so my knees were pretty sore by the end of the run.  The problem for me was that I went in with sore knees and yesterday didn't alleviate any of the soreness.  Luckily this is my last high mileage week so as long as I do not sustain an injury this week, that issue should resolve itself.

Overall I was encouraged, my endurance is good enough that I can run a 27 mile run and not even feel that drained.

I find that sitting in stadium seating for prolonged periods is terrible for a runner's knees. So I can see why you didn't get any recovery before your run.

The race may be 3 weeks out, but you still have about a week left to do some really good training to hone in on your race pace.

philibusters

I am doing a 2 X 5K tempo tonight.  Hoping to run close to 20 minutes for both tempos but we'll see how it goes.  Last week, I was much weaker in my speed work than I anticipated.

Joe, its been two months since you last logged.  It would be interesting to see how the past couple months played out for you.

You would see a peak during September and otherwise not much running. Due to my schedule this week and the rain I already know this week is going to be bad. I'm going to be a weekend warrior come Friday-Sunday to try and salvage it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Looks like the tempos went well, Phil.

I was amped up for the Webster Field 2 miler last week. It was then postponed to a time I could not attend. I consoled myself with some poor eating choices. I also missed a day or two of running. I literally gained 8 pounds by the end of the weekend. I'm still going to miss a day or two of running this week and none of what I have run has been very good, but I've made a concerted effort to get my weight back under control. I really wanted to get in a good workout last weekend and midweek this week, but I failed over the weekend (rain didn't help) and I won't have an opportunity midweek due to my schedule. I hope to do a 5k this weekend and then a half marathon the following weekend, but I haven't done myself any favors through worthwhile training the last few days.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I failed at my Sep goal (run more mileage than Phil), and Phil went way over his (run 300mi)

Name ▲DistanceTime
                      AmoresPerros 351.5 mi 2d 2hr
                      philibusters 353.1 mi 2d 3hr
                      Soprano 175.9 mi 1d 2hr

philibusters

I am working on a new training plan.  http://www.runningahead.com/logs/dcc61890cb4c4c4198e198c344bae8a3/plans/iO6   Its pretty ambituous, but I am coming off a solid aerobic buildup so I am hoping I can handle it.  My goal for Newport News is to be shooting for 3 hours realistically so that if I have fall off I am still in the 3:02 to 3:03 range.  Any feedback is welcome.

Perry do you have any interest in the tempo the day after Thanksgiving?  If you are in town it would be a good tempo for your marathon, the only issue is going to be whether 8 days out is too close to your marathon.  How about you Joe?  That would be a hard tempo for you but based on your half marathon times it should be do-able for you without racing it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perry do you have any interest in the tempo the day after Thanksgiving?  If you are in town it would be a good tempo for your marathon, the only issue is going to be whether 8 days out is too close to your marathon.  How about you Joe?  That would be a hard tempo for you but based on your half marathon times it should be do-able for you without racing it.

I am interested; I am not sure if I should go 10, but I could go some of it.

I will tentatively agree to your Black Friday plan, but don't be surprised if I perform terribly due to having eaten too much food the day before, lack of sleep, or whatever. It's probably best if we run this at TNT, as two out-and-backs are almost an even 10 miles. That's basically a full race effort from me.

MTA: I like your long run progression. It's worth breaking some of those runs up, though. You don't always have to do 15 @ pace, for example, You can do 3x5 or 5x3 with jogs and you'll get a similar workout. I think a hard part for you is going to be abandoning specific paces and instead going based on effort. A lot of this looks too fast to me. Let your effort and current fitness determine your pace. Also, that 10 mile tempo in a couple of weeks is pretty hard for being this soon. Make sure you stay comfortable when you do that; don't force the pace.

philibusters

I will tentatively agree to your Black Friday plan, but don't be surprised if I perform terribly due to having eaten too much food the day before, lack of sleep, or whatever. It's probably best if we run this at TNT, as two out-and-backs are almost an even 10 miles. That's basically a full race effort from me.

MTA: I like your long run progression. It's worth breaking some of those runs up, though. You don't always have to do 15 @ pace, for example, You can do 3x5 or 5x3 with jogs and you'll get a similar workout. I think a hard part for you is going to be abandoning specific paces and instead going based on effort. A lot of this looks too fast to me. Let your effort and current fitness determine your pace. Also, that 10 mile tempo in a couple of weeks is pretty hard for being this soon. Make sure you stay comfortable when you do that; don't force the pace.

There reaches a point when you are planning, say 13 weeks into the future, that you really don't know what your fitness level will be at.  Right now I am in 3:06 shape, the goal is to drop 5 to 10 pounds, have a good string of quality workouts, and be in 3 flat shape 3 months from now.  If I am in 3 flat shape, I should be able to handle the workout.  That said, if things don't go according to plan, a lot of the later workouts will probably be too ambituous.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I thought I did 5,3 steady-state tonight, but I was surprised how much slower the second segment was, now that I see my splits:

• 5mi at about 7:15 (steady-state #1)
                                • 2mi recovery at about 8:10
                                • 3mi at about 7:30 (stead-state #2)