The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Spoon

I don't get up before work to go running. That'd be better for me but would be too difficult as I, like Rick, need to get up at 0540 just to get to class on time. I just happen to get up at 0430 on Saturdays and get out the door to run by 0530. I only do this to avoid the heat and get the run out of the way before it hangs over me for too long. In the winter I could run at 1000 (or any time really) and not have to worry about baking...
    Durrr

Yesterday I did something I haven't been coerced to do since early December '06 --- when I had some ... complications with my driving qualifications. I did an interval workout right in my neighborhood. After a 1.5-mile warm up around the 'hood, I tackled 6 X 800. Sans the Forerunner, I accomplished this by running down the street to a point that very nearly marks a quarter mile (past my house) and then running back. I didn't concern myself too much with finish times --- mainly because I wasn't certain how exact the distance was --- but rather I focused on effort. Thus each interval was run at a pace that felt harder than my most recent 5k pace, with the final 800 being an exception in that I ran it fiercely faster. Then following a one-mile cool down I had 5.5 for the day.
        I ran 3 and then did a bit of lifting. My weight loss has plateaued and I think it is due half to some slightly reduced running and some increased eating lately. My legs have been a little tired and so I'm trying to rest them a small amount before I increase my weekly mileage much. I had done two weeks at 20, but then I fell to 15 or so and I wouldn't mind another week like that before trying to hit 25 and 30. Although it's worth mentioning that varying my workouts on a daily rather than weekly basis could provide rest while likely still showing an increase in mileage, but I'm doing it this way for some reason just because I guess a lazy bug has hit me this week and I'm looking for excuses. Hmm. I should probably run more this week.

Diesel Power

The 14 mile run scheduled tonight never stood a chance of getting off the ground. I intended to leave work at the normal time of 4:30, but I wanted to head straight to the NCR Trail to conserve as much light as possible, while leaving time to get homework done in the evening. Unfortunately, at 4:25pm, I was sucked into two phone conversations at my desk as well as shooting emails in all different directions. I also had to book a major journal entry to the general ledger of a facility that I prepare financial statements for, and had been waiting all day to get information from the facility to make this happen. Of course, the info arrived in my inbox (after hours of prodding) at 4:33pm. This journal entry absolutely had to be posted before leaving, no excuses. So, I quickly punched the information into an Xcel spreadsheet, uploaded the file to the accounting software, and hit the "RUN" button to create the journal entry. Normally a file might sit in queue for about 30 seconds. This one sat in queue for 35 minutes and 46 seconds. I finally made it down to the gym to change at about 5:30 pm, determined to make this happen. At this point, I noticed no Forerunner in my gym bag. I swore to myself, and decided to man up and do this without it. Besides, I had an old watch with a broken band in my glove box. I quickly left the building, and made the ~7 minute drive to the NCR Trail. I grabbed the watch from the glove box, and discovered (of course) that the battery had died!!! At this point, I'm fuming. Granted, there were no near death experiences, but the day was still turning out to be horrible. One of the reasons I like getting to work at 7:30 and leaving at 4:30 (as opposed to arriving later and leaving at 5-6pm) is that it cuts down on my commuting time. Therefore, what would have been a 15 minute drive home if I had left at 4:30pm turned into 30 minutes of sitting in traffic. By the time I strap on the Forerunner and sprint out the door, it's 6:30pm. The NCR Trail is out by this point, due to time constraints. I decided to run at Goucher instead. And let me tell you this... I've had some miserable runs this year, mainly due to hot weather. The weather tonight was perfect, but I can't remember feeling this bad. I'd like to chalk it all up to psychosomatic symptoms, but my heel is also starting to hurt on a more round-the-clock basis. I knew I jinxed myself earlier this year by bragging that plantar fascitis was the one overuse injury I've never had. I made it seven miles tonight before needing to stop, my stomach in knots. I tried a bit of GU, but that was little help. I made it three more miles before calling it a night. The same ol' 10 mile run I've done countless times this year. It's 11:15pm, and I just finished my homework about 10 minutes ago. By the time I give Molly her night walk and shave (yes, I do that at night), I could be in bed comfortably by midnight. Should be fun getting up at 5:30a (need to be at work early) just to be able to go to class after work until ~8:30. Good choices I've made. Of course, I've brought it all on myself. Tell your kids not to major in liberal arts, no matter what the guidance counselors say about "finding something you're interested in." Chances of me running the marathon probably fell from 80% to 55% as of right now. We'll see how I feel after the race Sunday. I'm hoping the short bit of time off after the Half will help to recharge my batteries a bit. Otherwise, I think I may need to give myself a longer "break."
          Durrr

You know, I've been restraining myself from saying that going on a 14-mile run just four days before a 5k could leave you detrimentally sore for the race. So, although that might've thrown a hitch in your half marathon training, stopping at 10 was probably the wisest thing to do as far as your performance on Sunday shall be. I speak from experience. Last November I went on a 13.1-mile run at Greenwell (the final 5k segment of which was run at a tempo-like pace, I'll admit) six days before the St. Mary's City Thanksgiving 5k, and my legs were undeniably stiff during the race thanks to that long run. Thus I vowed to never again go on a run longer than 10 miles within a week of a race.
            Spoon

Hmm...I think I'll have to disagree with you DR. I think it's all a matter of training. You were building your long run mileage up in November and weren't accustomed to that distance (or maybe I'm wrong?). Rick is very nearly at that level right now as he says he's run multiple 10+ mile runs recently. Believe it or not, during the last two weeks, as I've boosted my mileage into the mid-40's/wk, I've had absolutely no soreless after my respective 18.5 and 22 mile long runs. Just a little tired the rest of the day but then feeling great the next day. I ran a hard 7 mile tempo on Monday, 7 easy miles on Tuesday, 5 miles with 6 long hills yesterday and then a 3.5 mile race at unit PT this morning. So long story short, I see no reason you can't run a 14 mile run the week before a race. Mileage will probably be about 47 this week (wish I could say it was my 8 day mileage which will be nearly 70). I never realized how much simply doing mileage - even slow mileage - can do for speed and endurance...wish I'd been half this dedicated in high school. Would've been a much better XC runner...

Diesel Power

Adubb - Impressive mileage totals you've been racking up. At what kind of pace are you running your tempos? I'm also intrigued about this PT unit... for that matter, I don't even think I knew about you taking classes. What are you up to? I agree with Adubb on mileage helping speed. I think its especially true when you've essentially been running 15-25 miles/week your whole life, and then suddenly build up to 35-40+. I kind of agree with Adubb and DR on the long run before a race. I think running 14 miles would have affected my performance on Sunday, as it would be my longest run ever. While I've run 10 miles many times this year and even 11 miles once, I've only dared attempted 12 miles once. I wanted to make sure I ran longer than Half marathon distance at least once before the race, even if it meant not being 100% this Sunday (after all, my goal race is 10/11). While I believe racing can be an solid part of any training plan, I also think that everything needs to build up to one goal race. Therefore, while my perfomance on Sunday may have been slightly hindered, I think with proper rest afterward I could have been much better for the Half M. Oh well. Unfortunately, the events of the past couple of weeks (including the passing of a family member and the housing stuff) has thrown my mileage way out of wack. After weeks of 32 and 36 miles, I've regressed to weeks of 25 last week and what will ultimately be 24 this week. I figure I can push it back up to 30 miles next week, but I'll be cutting back on mileage the following week. When I step up to the startling line on Sunday, there will be less than three weeks until the running festival. I hope I've devised a schedule that will enable me to keep training past 10/11, but we'll see what happens.
                Durrr

Adubb- pretty much any training plan recommends tapering in the days or week leading up to a race. So it's not a particularly sound tactic for someone to go out and run the longest run of their life shortly before a race (even if the race distance isn't entirely related to their longterm goal). Of course none of that matters much if the person isn't deeply invested in the "unrelated" event. I'm just of mind to treat every race with great consequence. And what's the secret to your magically soreness-free legs? Let's see how they feel after that trail marathon pre-marathon run ... Yesterday I had a narrowly successful tempo run. Within a 6-mile run (1.5-mile warm up, 0.5-mile cool down), I did a fast 4-mile tempo with a goal or reaping a sub-7:00/mi average pace. Doing the math in my head, I figured out that I'd have to beat 27:56 to satisfy my goal (6:59 X 4 ... nah, too much addition required. 7:00 X 4 = 28:00 - 0:04 = 27:56). Guess what time I finished the four-mile segment in? It was 27:55! Therefore the average pace for the tempo was 6:59/mi.

Diesel Power

Joe – I think you’ve had as much trouble with plantar fascitis as anyone. Did you do any tricks/techniques to help alleviate the symptoms? Aside from the obvious ice and anti-inflammatory regimen I go on for these injuries, I found a couple of things that help me out… 1) I now keep a tennis ball under my desk at work. When I know I’m going to be at my desk for long periods of time, I take the shoe off the troubled foot and simply roll it on the tennis ball. This goes a long way in massaging the foot tendons. It’s really amazing how tight everything is on the bottom of my feet. Afterwards, when I get up and walk around, my feet feel much looser. I may continue to do this for as long as I’m running! 2) Probably 3-4 times daily, I stretch the bottom of my feet by crossing the problem foot across the other leg, and bending the toes back towards the shin (not violently, of course). I’ll hold that for about a minute. I can probably thank both of these for helping to quell the pain over the past day or so. Of course, it may also be due to my decrease in mileage this week. I guess next week when I’m back over 30 will be the major test. I’m also considering getting this thing called the “Strassburg Sock,” or something like that. I’ve heard great things about this in aiding in the fight against plantar fasciitis. I’ve also heard that, much like Runner’s knee or shin splints, this heel pain can be recurring. I might as well invest in an item that will help me down the road.
                      I recommend running in grass and having new shoes. Other than that, don't race too often. And don't do anything abnormal like never do jump rope and then pick it up suddenly and do 400 reps on your first day. I ran 11 miles yesterday. I took two breathers during the run. I didn't really have to take them, but I was running with Phil and he likes to break things up a bit. I think it helped keep me better able to complete 11 miles, though, so it was probably a wise decision and something I should consider doing more often. I think that's my longest run in 2 years if I consider it one run. I've been losing weight and I'm almost near my first goal weight. This means I should start incorporating more than just mileage, because my historical times at this particular weight are much faster than I think I could run today. I have about 8 more pounds to lose to hit that goal and then I'll kick myself in the rear with more tempos, hills, and intervals. I don't think I have the consistent mileage yet to justify doing many hard workouts. Phil has been good about getting me into the gym. He wants to go a couple of times a week and we go at my apartment's facility, so my cross training has improved. Phil wants to get back into good running shape, but he's a little picky about races and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get him to register for one.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm going to Pet Day tomorrow morning, and most likely racing it -- gonna help with finish line either way. Then I may run at Patuxent with Crystal and possibly with Alan Parris -- he is thinking of doing something like 12mi at 8min/mi. It's kinda funny -- that is a long run for him, but not so long for me -- but OTOH, when I told him my goal for the ten miler was to get near 7min/mi, he said, oh, that's easy -- he is much stronger than I in terms of running c. 7min/mi or even very high 6s indefinitely, whereas that is a race pace for me and I don't know if I can hold it very far. I use the rolling my foot on tennis balls at home sporadically -- that is a great idea keeping them at work under the desk - I've got to remember to bring some in.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Think you'll break 19:00 tomorrow, Perry?
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Think you'll break 19:00 tomorrow, Perry?
                            Dunno. I am always afraid to say a very aggressive goal -- afraid I'll cause myself disappointment -- so my goal is to break 20 (again). MTA (after the fact): Yes! Smile

Spoon

Got in 24.2 miles yesterday and my pace was a full 43 seconds faster per mile than last week's 22 miler. I feel pretty awesome about that. I still only ran a 8:39 pace, but I'm confident that if I'd really wanted to, I couldv'e ran two more miles and broken my marathon PR. I finished in 3:29 and my PR is 3:53 I think so I would easily have been in the 3:40's.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, that (24+) is a long run. I was considering trying for a long run yest. afternoon, but wound up just doing 6mi tempo run - I only convinced Alan to slow down to 7:30 and we just lasted 6mi. But that also means no long run for me today too probably -- oh well, I know a little bit of me not achieving a long run is that I'm a little lazy about the long runs, and don't mind so much not getting to them... Takes so long and so much diligence to push through all that distance and time.