The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Went out today, and was thinking of making it a long run, but got distracted into trying to maintain a pace, and it turned into a medium easy run followed by a short fast run. Kinda seems I lack the diligence or attention for a long run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Spoon

How long will your longest MCM practice run be then?
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How long will your longest MCM practice run be then?
        I did 19.5 a month or so ago, at the beach (in the heat). I've not managed anything long since -- I think a 14.5 last weekend was closest. Today I managed a 12 (fast four finish). I still have time for one more long attempt, I think, but whether I'll actually accomplish a long run remains to be seen.

Durrr

When I got home yesterday and checked the forum, I was overwhelmed to read about Rick's expectations-exceeding, reward-reaping sub-20:00 PR 5k in Towson; Perry's purportedly sub-19:00 Pet Day 5k (let's hear some more details!); Adubb's mighty long and hard long run; and Joe's ... Anyways, I felt fervently compelled to accomplish something worthy --- so that I not feel ashamed to be amongst such extraordinary company. Thus, despite being poorly nourished and weary from much traveling, I sallied forth with the intention of running long and hard. I eventually (meaning several miles into the run) decided upon running eight miles fast, pushing for a pace close to my intended 10-mile race rate. Although I ran the first mile moderately (approx. 8:45), I increased my speed enough afterwards to finish the run in 1:00:16, indicating an average pace of 7:32/mi. However, if we eschew the first mile --- which was really just a warm up --- then we have seven miles in approximately 51:30, revealing an average pace of 7:22/mi. So, if I can just maintain that for another three miles (which hopefully I will thanks to race day competition), I'll be poised to break 1:15:00 if not 1:14:00 on October 12th.

Diesel Power

For the record, if I stay healthy/uninjured, I will be very upset if I don't break 20:00 in 2008.
            I think my only other goal for this year was to stay uninjured, with “injury” being defined as having to miss more than a couple consecutive scheduled workouts for a single problem. I think I may have missed a workout here and there, but nothing at all significant. Maybe I’ll begin to think about next year’s goals after the half marathon. Of course, what I’ve done/will do seems small in comparison to the large goals of Adubb, Perry and DR over the next couple of months. Adubb – running 24 miles is still beyond my comprehension at this point. I’ve run as fall as 12 miles so far this year, and felt like I was going to fall apart afterwards.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My remaining two goals are actually easy -- to PR in the marathon, which should be easy, as I walked all the water stations in my first one, and to PR in the 10-miler, which only requires finishing it (as I've never done one). I must say, I really like having races where it will be easy to PR -- less stress. Smile

Spoon

Rick - It's really not so bad. It's a rather gentle progression upward in mileage, or at least should be. Your body adapts to the long runs really quickly. As of Mid-March I could only jog about 15 minutes and 6 months later, I'm running 3 1/2 hours. BTW, has anybody talked to Alden about his marathon training?
                Durrr

I'm also curious how Alden is preparing himself for the marathon. Is there a time limit to the course? The LPRM "sweeps" away people who aren't maintaining pace for a finish time under 5:45:00, but what about Baltimore? Yesterday I endeavored to accomplish the most ambitious interval set I've ever attempted in my neighborhood: Rick's patented 1 X 2 mi @ 10k pace + 2 X 1 mile @ 5k pace + 2 X 800 @ faster pace routine. Well, I didn't quite complete it as written, but I still got a worthy workout out of it. First, however, I had to deal with an irritating delay/false start. Following my untimed 1.5-mile warm up around the 'hood, I thunderously began the two-mile interval, heading towards the front of my street --- only to look down two tenths of a mile in and see that, though the clock was ticking, the Forerunner was not recording distance run or pace! Grudgingly I aborted the interval and then jogged back to the start, where I had to wait a few more minutes for the GPS to begin cooperating. Finally online, I raced back towards the front of the street, turned left onto Golden Beach Rd, and continued thence until I hit one mile --- in 6:43. I'd basically been on an incline the whole way there, so coming back was much speedier, allowing me to finish in 13:15 (more akin to Perry's most recent 10k pace than mine). After a very brief break I progressed to the first mile, running a half mile down my neighborhood and back in 6:15 (do you know what time it was when I started that interval? It was 6:15 p.m.!). Well, the time was getting close to 6:30 p.m., so I decided upon a personal compromise: I'd eschew the 800s and make the second 1-mile interval a hard one. Following the same course, I hit the half-mile mark in 3:00 flat and then charged back, pushing to break 6:00. One advantage to running on a track is that you can simply sprint to the finish, hitting the stop button the moment you cross the line. But when running off-track and relying on a GPS tracker, you have to hold the watch right under your face until the very end so that you know exactly where to stop. And when I did reach "1.00 mi," my sweaty thumb slipped on the stop button. So although I stopped my watch at 5:57, I'll say that I really did 5:56. And after a one-mile cool down, I had 6.85 to 6.9 miles for the day.
                    It's a good thing you ran 5:56 and not 5:57, because I was about to lose all respect for you.
                    Durrr

Joe, from the figures you posted on Facebook, I estimate that you consumed 84 crabs between last Monday and Wednesday (or Thursday). Have you been running mileage to match those numbers? Ah, I still recall that time a year ago when we went on a Tall Timbers/Piney Point long run immediately after feasting upon crabs on Ed's porch. It was a gas!
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We ran at the college - all around it as there was a game or two. We saw Joe & Phil a couple times, then when we finally got in the car to leave, as we drove up Mattapany, we saw them crossing Mattapany still running...

I really wish a master schedule for the field/track was available to the average person. They have an event there most afternoons this time of year it seems. Phil and I arrived as the field hockey game's regulation time was ending. They were going into overtime. They played one overtime. It was still tied. The played another scoreless overtime. They had a shootout. St. Mary's College lost on the final shot of the shootout. Phil and I had pretty ambitious plans for yesterday and now today, but both are faced with difficulty. Field hockey hurt us yesterday and the weather is threatening us today. We just did a few loops around St. Mary's yesterday waiting for the track to open and finally called it a day during the shootout.
                          Durrr

The last time I gave up on running around a track due to a game that dragged on, I got devastatingly rear-ended! My run for this evening is also being threatened by the weather.
                            Spoon

Yeah, I'd imagine that any time you take it really good in the rear would be devasting... Wink
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran in the rain this eve. Hit a puddle early, which on the one hand was annoying (wet shoes), but on the other hand meant I could quit worrying about puddles because my shoes were already wet Smile I can't remember the last time I really ran in the rain -- probably back in the spring sometime. It let up when I was nearly done -- so it was nice having a relatively dry finish.