The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

My run in the rain was a miserable experience. By the end my sweatshirt must've weighed close to five pounds due to its supreme soakedness.
    Durrr

Yesterday marked the longest long run I'll be doing before the LPR 10-Miler. I'd hoped to be up to 16 miles by this time but, as my longest prior continuous long run was merely 12 miles, I decided to play it safe and do 14. Embarking by the old Callaway Food Lion, I took up the all too familiar turf of 249 — and got succinctly soaked. The rain was coming down so hard during the first two miles of the run that I could barely see what was going on around me! Upon passing the Valley Lee post office, however, the precipitation completely ceased. I'd been maintaining a moderate pace all the way to my U-turn at mile seven — a point just a few fathoms shy of the turn for Lighthouse Rd — yet now I endeavored to bring the pace below 8:00/mi, hoping to achieve major negative splits. That lasted for perhaps three miles before I began to falter. Soon I was struggling to keep the pace sub-9:00/mi — especially whilst climbing that long, arduous slope that begins by the "Callaway 3 Miles" sign. Thankfully, though, I found another wind in the final two miles (just when it started raining again), and ultimately I finished in 1:56:55 (8:21/mi). That gave me 31.5 for the week. I'd hoped to be averaging over 40 by this time, but let's just say that I've suffered a number of setbacks and inconveniences over the past few months. My exercising was far from over at that point. In fact, as soon as I completed my run I had to race down to the water at St. Mary's College (via car, of course), where my dad was waiting with my kayak atop his truck (his band was playing nearby at the River Fest, being held in Historic St. Mary's City). I did about two hours here and there around the waterways of the college and ye olde City. Compared to all the running I’d just done, it was quite relaxing — although I did feel rather famished (I’d had nothing but peanuts and pretzels to tie me over) and weak in the arms (at least my legs were being completely rested!). The highlight of this kayaking excursion was sneaking under the two Rt. 5 bridges to explore the sheltered watery domains beyond. The first led to a long, winding reed creek — throughout which evidence of coastal flooding was clear to see. And to get the second — the pond in the midst of the campus — I had to duck my head way down to avoid getting bonked by that rotting foot bridge that offers less than three feet of clearance between wood and water. Oh, and I also cruised right past the grand historical ship (upon which a horde of Asian tourists congregated), getting a water view of the monstrous, zigzagging handicap ramp that’s part of the Thanksgiving 5k course (the sound of much festivity was roaring from up top). After all the solitude intrinsic to my previous water outings, it was indeed a fun change of pace to be out there with so many other patrons of the waves — ie, fellow kayakers, the SMCM sailing team, surfboard canoers (a new sport?), swimming bohemians, and all those aboard the Dee of St. Mary’s (I think?) yacht.
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did a long run this morning with a tri colleague on base. It went well. I saw Fred of the running club coming around again about 0900 and asked him when he started, and he said just after 0500. Wow -- I was amazed how long that is of running time. By contrast Haile this morning went out for a run barely over 2 hours -- altho Haile did finish a marathon distance (at Berlin this morning he broke 2:04). MTA:
        although I did feel rather famished
        I like to have a zone bar, or protein bar, or package of peanut butter crackers with me, to eat immediately after any run, to ensure I get a least a little bit of carbs & protein, or at least calories Smile
        the grand historical ship
        The Dove, they call it (as it is a replica of the historic Dove)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Ah yes, I couldn't quite recall whether it was the Dove, the Ark, or the Mayflower (although I'm fairly certain the Mayflower was a pilgrim ship way up north).
            What DR neglected to mention was that a red van towing a trailer full of junk wood honked at him as he was scaling the hill following the post office on his way back! That was my dad and I making our way to the landfill on one of two trips we would make that day. DR, I demand I be included on more of your weekend adventures! Except, I'm not available next weekend and then the race is the following weekend. I was really jealous to see you running. I had a busy and wet weekend that resulted in no running. I was pretty angry about it, but I really had zero time Friday or Sunday that I could have run. Saturday gave me a brief window after returning from bringing wood to the landfill, but I couldn't find the motivation. It's funny that my idea of "vacation" would honestly be to go to an athletics resort for a month and just exercise all day long every day. I don't think I would ever want to come home, though.
            Durrr

Ah, I do recall receiving a honk or two during the course of my run! I really thought about advertising the run for group potential beforehand but, as late as 10 a.m. Saturday morning, it was still up in the air as to what time the run would actually happen. And the rain cast a murky pall on things. Hopefully the coming weeks will see a renaissance in our fitness conviviality. I'd still like to launch a kayak voyage from Ed's dock sometime!
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I want to do some more runs in Town Creek - we did one, and I like how hilly it is.

Durrr

Using the same "neighborhood track" that I did last week, yesterday evening I ran five miles of intervals --- although at relatively mild paces. The basic idea was 1 X 2 mile @ 10k pace + 1 X 1 mile @ 5k pace + 1 X 2 mile @ 10k pace (a sandwich of sorts). The times were all a bit slower than I should have liked: 13:28 (6:44/mi), 6:22, 13:25 (6:43/mi). Actually, 6:43/mi is exactly what my most recent 10k was run at, and 6:22/mi is faster than my most recent 5k pace. So I suppose I was right on track with what the workout called for. And with the addition of a 1.5-mile warm up and a brief half mile cool down, I had exactly seven miles for the day. I relished the temperature's cool crispness --- but not the rapidly descending darkness.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a big weekend last weekend -- 18 on Sunday (with a guy living near me), 8 on Monday (with Crystal), and slow 14 on Tuesday (with a guy on base). Took Wednesday completely off after that. Ran abt 6 slow last night. Was going to run into work this morning, but legs felt tired, and I'd recently seen an article in Runners World about the danger of overtraining is normal muscle tears can work up to stress fracture without sufficient recovery, so I got scared out of running in this morning, since that was such a big three days for me (my biggest three in succession ever, I'm sure). May let this week mileage total be lower, just to make myself feel safer, but will probably do one long run on the weekend anyway.

Durrr

40 miles in three days is quite a tally!
                      Durrr

Yesterday I completed my most ambitious Fartlek run yet. In the midst of a non-stop 6-mile run, I tackled 12 supersonic speed bursts --- ranging roughly from about 150 yards to a bit over 200 yards in length. The maximum pace I achieved was 4:01/mi, which is like running a 15-second 100-yard dash. I must say that running all those over the hard pavement of the road left my feet feeling a bit brittle!
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've still sore upper legs from my long race last weekend. I signed up for the 10-miler months ago, so I'll do it no matter how I feel, but I may not race it as fast as I'd anticipated if I'm still sore.

Durrr

Yesterday was GROSS! The beatific streak of cool, crisp weather had given way to thick humidity and temperatures approaching 80. Thus the stifling, still air was utterly INFESTED with untold swarms of pesky gnats --- as though the entire countryside were one big bowl of rotting fruit. Really, whenever I looked up it was like watching flakes fall during a steady snow. At least four of the tiny pests flew right into my eyes, and I think one actually got in between my left eyeball and eyelid, causing a great deal of irritation. Oh, and what I ran was 6.5 miles at a moderate pace. I won't be running today, and I'll probably just do a short light run tomorrow to stay fresh for the race.
                              Well, 6.5 is pretty close to your 10k pre-race tradition. Phil and I ran yesterday and agreed that the weather was not as delightful as it has been lately, but that a month ago we would have thought yesterday's weahter was gorgeous.

Diesel Power

I felt the same way about the weather. It's kind of a joke that I would have loved weather approaching 80 degrees in July.