The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

Yesterday --- under an overcast sky that, though dreary, made the peaking leaves all the more vibrant --- I ran a familiar long run: from the Callaway Food Lion to just before the St. George's Island bridge and back, giving me 16.22 miles (I wanted it to be precisely 10 miles shy of a full marathon). I finished just a few seconds over 2:18:00, indicating a marginally moderate pace of around 8:30/mi. Due to poor fueling, my attempt at a fast finish failed, leaving me determined to start incorporating solid fuels into my long runs. I was ravenously hungry when I finished! There were a few interesting encounters during the course of my running ... course. Just before passing the Valley Lee firehouse on the "out" segment of my run, I became cognizant of a vehicle slowing down behind me --- and when I looked to the right I beheld Joe, leering out the window of his Explorer as he hailed me! No doubt he was on his way to Ed's, perhaps to fulfill a task, visit, or both. Then, a good while later when I was approaching Tall Timbers on the return, "back" trip, I descried a full-fledged fleet of cyclists (over 10 of them, it seemed) riding in tight formation, rolling towards me head-on at a rapid rate. I veered over onto the grass to give them broad passage, and a few were friendly enough to wave as they whizzed past three by three (any chance you were among them, Perry? I assumed they were members of a local athletic club like PaxVelo or something). About a mile after that, around the time I passed by the Cedar Cove Marina sign again, I spotted a runner about a quarter mile up ahead --- running in the same direction I was but at a significantly slower speed. Second by second the gap closed until, upon reaching the Valley Lee firehouse again, I was close enough to see that it was indeed the same woman who I'd viewed turning left out of Lighthouse Rd when I'd passed by that juncture on my "out" trip. Now, nothing could be more mortifying to me than getting overcome by another runner when on a training run --- unless that other runner is clearly doing a tempo or speed workout. "This is going to be awkward," I said to myself as I got within striking distance. Well, I was less than 10 feet behind when she --- wearing headphones and seemingly oblivious --- sensed something and decided to take a look back over her shoulder. She all but jumped off the ground as she (early 30s, I'm guessing) shrieked in alarm, so startled was she. But then she laughed it off. "Sorry," I said, "I hate it when people pass me, but I'm just trying to keep a good pace." Within moments, she was far to my rear.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ha, nope not me -- but I'm sure that was PaxVelo Sunday Afternoon Ride (SuAR): Details they posted about it beforehand: . Location: Food Lion Parking Lot - Callaway, MD . Time: 2:00 PM . Distance and Pace - 35-40 miles - 17-18 MPH average speed . Weather forecast - 55-57 degrees/ Partly Sunny / 4-5 mph winds . Post Ride Coffee at - Callaway A & W I had a nice 5K race at Solomon's (CAASA) on Sat, and Crystal and I ran the course again after everything was over as a warmdown -- and we were both tired. Sunday I risked a moderate distance run -- 10mi with a couple ppl on Solomon's, then watched most of the NYC mara online, then added a couple unplanned miles when I saw my neighbor Rebecca out running and joined her briefly -- and found that she is definitely running Jingle Bell, so I definitely want to run Jingle Bell too -- and see if I can pace off her for most of it (then of course I would like to accelerate the end, if I can -- I love doing that when I can).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I think November may be my least favorite month of the year for running after work. Suddenly I'm running in the dark of night at 5:30 p.m.! By December the situation improves immensely thanks to all the Christmas lights (my neighborhood always boasts a fine festive share of them), but pre-Thanksgiving it's a shadowy shock to the senses. And on dreary nights when it's raining --- like yesterday evening --- darkness descends all the quicker and blocks the benefit of moonlight or even starlight. Anyways, last night I slogged through a street interval workout in my gloomy and soggy 'hood. It was a descending pyramid: 1.5 miles, 1 mile, half mile (I hesitate to say 2400, 1600, and 800 since they weren't run on a track but rather were navigated by the Forerunner). The darkness made it exceedingly difficult to keep pace, as the glow function on the watch merely lasts about 10-15 seconds, and I hit it only when I approached quarter mile marks. Plus, to add further insult, the wet weather featured a steady stream of wind that blew against me for much of each interval. So this is how the intervals went: 9:31; 6:05 (I was totally on pace to break 6:00, but --- when I had just 100 yards to go --- a truck with glaring headlights started pulling out of a culdesac right in front of me, forcing me to veer to the other side of the street and then cautiously veer back. Thus my mighty momentum was shattered); and 2:53. I really need to get back to a track --- and run earlier!
        Durrr

Yesterday evening I did my traditional race eve eve moderately paced 10k. Now, I thought I'd have superb illumination to run by --- what with it being the night of the FULL MOON and all --- but to my dismal surprise, I had to run through the deepest darkness ever. Though the rain had all but ceased, the skies remained thickly overcast, and as the temperature stayed warm, an impenetrable fog consumed the humid surface air. Street signs and mailboxes --- silhouetted by the fog-fractured beams of light from houses --- took on shifting, wraith-like forms. Nothing was quite as it seemed in that murky gloom. And whenever a car approached me, my whole field of vision disappeared in the blinding, fog-amplified glare of its headlights. As I approached the remote, wooded end of my neighborhood, I looked up a hill and saw two undeniably human forms just standing there, framed by eerie light. Then, mere moments later when I passed by again after making my U-turn, they were gone!
          Durrr

I didn't go to work on Monday. I used the day for a long run instead! No, I didn't take off just to run. I'd scheduled the leave a couple weeks in advance, as I had a surplus of unused leave that had to be utilized before the end of the year lest it go back to the company. So I just made Monday a timely opportunity to get in a marathon-training long run. Though beginning and ending by the Piney Point lighthouse, I basically covered the first half of the actual marathon course plus a little extra, coming up with 17.5 miles in 2:29:43 (8:33/mi). Usually when I run and/or kayak around Piney Point and St. George's Island on a Saturday or Sunday, the area is all a'bub with Weekend Warriors. You know, the recreational folks who go out and about boating, biking, cycling or ... kite-flying. But being that this 17.5-mile run was conducted over the course of a Monday early afternoon, the waterways and roadways were --- save for a couple clamorous construction sites --- almost eerily still and peaceful. The sky was crystal-cloudy and the breeze, though sometimes strong, often died completely. No run/ride-ins with PaxVelo this time. In fact, in two and a half hours of running, I encountered only one or two other pedestrians (I did, however, come across a quartet of deer way back on St. George's Island). And it was winter cold! I took yesterday off and I'm taking today off. And after a 6.25-mile run tomorrow night, I'll be taking Friday off so that I'll have the necessary rest for the St. Mary's City Thanksgiving 5k on Saturday morning --- which Joe has yet to give any indication that he's running. I hope he remembers that he has a title to defend (third place finisher in the M20-29 age division).
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Have fun at St Mary's City Prediction Run Smile

Durrr

Last night I carried out the "climactic" interval workout of my fast-sinking fall 5k season. It was a 3-mile pyramid of my own design, devised to blend fast sprinting and mid-distance speed. It went like this: - 200 - 200 jog - 200 - 200 jog - 400 - rest - 800 - rest - 1-mile - rest - 800 - rest - 400 - 200 jog - 200 - 200 jog - 200 - (3.5 miles total with jogs) Despite the usual neighborhood impediments of moonless darkness and interfering cars with blinding headlights, my times were for the most part decent --- the mile being the main exception (it tanked in at 6:13). Although the clear, moon-free sky made for some neat star gazing, I had to contend with a few shaded stretches where the darkness was just plain impenetrable. I could barely see my feet below, let alone any potholes or animals that might've been lying in wait to trip me. And that total lack of vision compelled me to instinctively slow up and proceed cautiously at some points. A pleasant surprise, however, was that one especially festive family in the neighborhood has already transformed their front yard into a Christmas wonderland, replete with lights, blowup snowmen-reindeer-Santas, and even recorded carols playing on constant repeat. It definitely lent some cheer to an otherwise gloomy run.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Crystal went out and ran some intervals on Saturday before I got ready, so I went out and ran a warmup that turned into a tempo 5K (first mi @ 8:06 to 3rd mi @ 7:23), then ran some intervals myself. I wanted to do 6min/mi pace on some quarters to practice the pace. I did two quarters at a little faster than that (5:50 and 5:42 pace), and I felt very tired, so I decided to do one more -- so I pushed that one (5:11). Then I was exhausted and did a slow 1.5mi warmdown. (Have to give paces not times, b/c they were all just a bit over 0.25mi.) Got home and found out that Crystal had done four quarters all faster than 6min/mi pace. Then I felt a bit disappointed that she managed four at below 6min/mi, and I had only managed three. My plan is to try some 800s at 6min/mi once this coming week, in hopes I can get accustomed to the pace -- before Jingle Bell.

Durrr

What's your goal time for Saturday? Considering that you ran a 39:21 10k recently, I think you should be a contender to finish well under 19:00 --- if not under 18:00! After the way my last couple races have gone, I'll just be happy to finish sub-20:00 with some time to spare (no more of this 19:57 or 19:57 business). And as for whether or not Joe will compete in the Jingle Bell 5k, he said he'd "check his schedule." I missed three consecutive days (Wednesday-Friday) due to the Thanksgiving holiday, so on Saturday I ran a short long run/light tempo --- 8 miles in just under 1:01:30 (7:41/mi).
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't have a goal time per se. Of course it would be fun to PR (beat 18:41), but I'm planning to try to start out with Rebecca and then go by feel.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

As mentioned this morning, that A&W at the top of Piney Pt road lures me -- I need to join you for a Piney Point long run some weekend...

Durrr

Three weeks ago when I ran 17.5 miles around Piney Point and St. George's Island, I felt strong throughout and even had a fast finish. But yesterday's long run was almost traumatically miserable. Perhaps it was due to soreness from those three recent 5ks or my low weekly mileage over the past couple weeks --- or just the bitter cold. I mean it. The temperature had remained in the 20s all morning, and when I arrived at Greenwell around 1 p.m., it was hovering right below 33 degrees. Oh, and I had of course taken the day off from work. I was almost deterred from running at Greenwell upon arrival. Shortly after turning left onto the dirt road leading to the pavilion, my car's path was halted by a barred gate --- padlocked. I have no idea why they'd so adamantly want to section off that ... section of the park, but I just parked beside it and walked the rest of the way to the 5k course start/finish. The grass and dirt turf was frozen hard as pavement, my breath rose up in visible jets of steam, and I knew I was in for a cold one. At least there was bright sunshine. Anyways, my intention was to run the 5k course six consecutive times so as to amass 30 kilometers or 18.75 miles. Even during the first 5k, however, I felt oddly weak and clunky --- as though I were sick when I otherwise felt highly healthy. After completing the course twice (so as to make the workout more psychologically manageable, I was thinking of it as a trio of 10ks or a sextet of 5ks rather than one monster 30k), I started getting despondent over the monotonous notion of having to complete the same 5k course four more times. Thus I did something bold: I eschewed the course, followed the gravel drive back to the park entrance, turned left onto Steerhorn Neck Rd, and headed for parts unknown! Isn't that what the Forerunner GPS watch is for? Though I had no idea when exactly the road would dead-end, I tentatively kept following it until I achieved 9.4 miles --- at which point I U-turned and headed back exactly the way I'd come, thus rejoining the park's 5k course start/finish at 12.5 miles and granting me an on-road interlude to the workout's middle 10k. I desperately needed the change of scenery! Steerhorn Neck Rd is fine for running, too, with minimal traffic and grassy shoulders. And after cutting through some farms, the road runs right along the Patuxent River, providing clear views of the Solomons bridge and some of St. Mary's County's most grandiose McMansions. Back at the Greenwell course start/finish line, with one 10k left to go, I stopped for the first time and ate the banana half I had in a ziplock bag stuffed into the velcro pouch of my water bottle holster (I'm getting accustomed to taking solid fuels during the course of a long run) under the now overcast sky. I started feeling frankly fatigued during that fifth 5k, which surprised me since I was still well under the distance of my previous long run. Therefore I broke again after completing the course that time (15.6 miles) --- taking my one and only "bathroom" break --- and fervently I tried to psyche myself up for the final 5k. One mile in, I was dying. Seriously, I don't think I'd known such a grueling sensation since around mile 24 of the full marathon last March. And it wasn't just fatigue; all the joints and muscles in my legs were in brittle, locked up pain. Despite all that, I forced myself to complete the peninsula loop --- the one portion of the Greenwell course that doesn't repeat --- before coming to a shattered stop by the "crossroads" picnic table. I was at 17.65 miles. After taking a good breather, I walked briskly for a couple hundred yards (with my watch on pause) and then carefully resumed running for another 0.35 miles, after which I stopped for good (that final segment conveniently took me almost all the way back to my car). So overall I did 18 miles in 2:30:59 (8:24/mi). Good enough.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The St Mary's City trails are blocked off until after Dec 13 for managed hunting -- but they're clearly labelled explaining that that is the reason.

Durrr

The St. Mary's City trails as in the paved paths that wind around the historic buildings --- or do you mean wooded trails that I'm unaware of? I can't imagine hunters being allowed to shoot right around the historic state house or the Dove.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There are wooded trails -- not the paved ones around the historic sites. I've never been down the wooded trail yet. If you start the visitor's center and go out Hogaboom (exactly like the start of Thanksgiving Prediction Run), but when you hit Rosecroft Drive, instead of turning right (which Thanksgiving Prediction does), look across the road just to the left is the start of the wooded trail.