The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm planning to try something like 8S+8MP (8 slow followed by 8 tempo testing some probably over-optimistic marathon pace) pretty soon -- probably down Piney Pt road. Also the first CBRC trail run is this Sat morning at Kings Landing - $10 race day entry fee -- if anyone is interested: http://cbrcmd.org/trail_runs.htm

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I was thinking about doing a workout very much like that in a couple weeks. But this weekend is slated for a 22-miler up near Rick's way. Last night I carried out a marathon-style interval workout that was a bit light in volume. After a 1.5-mile warm up around the neighborhood, I ran a triplet of moderately fast 400s --- each begun and connected by a warm up/recovery 400 (1.5 miles of nonstop running). Then I did two unconnected 800s at an equally fast pace, followed by a repeat of the first 400 triplet, amassing me four miles between my warm up and 0.5-mile cool down (it was cold, dark, and well after 6 p.m., so I wanted to wrap things up fast). Six miles total.
      Durrr

Yesterday Rick treated us to the NCR trail experience. It began as a grand group run, featuring Rick, Valerie, Joe, Alden, and myself. Actually, at mile 0 everyone took off without me since I was waiting in vain for my Forerunner to locate satellites. But then in an aggravated haste I simply hit "mode" and set forth using it as a simple stop watch, quickly catching up to the others. However, following Rick and Alden's tradition, we all came to an abrupt halt at mile 1, stretching for about 10-15 minutes --- during which time Alden heaved several logs and small trees over the bridge rail in an attempt to crack up the heavily frozen creek. Thence we progressed onward at a lackadaisical group rate until a bit past mile 4, at which point Rick and I pulled ahead from the pack. Unlike the others, we were on a marathon training journey. Rick hung with me until mile 9, at which point he reversed. Eighteen miles was his task for the day. My destiny, however, was two miles further down the trail, and thus I sallied forth solo from that point on. Thankfully every mile of the path is designated by a clear marker, so even though my watch was merely recording time elapsed, I was able to make my U-turn at mile 11 exactly thanks to the yellow emblazoned post. I must say that the picturesque NCR Trail was just the change of scenery I needed. It, formerly a railroad track, stretches for 20 miles (ending at the PA border), staying relatively flat as it runs parallel to a series of snaking (frozen over) creeks, boasting views of old fashioned trestle bridges and some sheer stone cliff faces covered with massive cascades of icicles. Ah, and long stretches of the path were consumed by hard-packed snow! Not the best footing in the world, but there were plenty of soft muddy patches to make up for it. And despite the cold, a fair amount of walkers, runners, and cyclists were out taking advantage of the trail. Anyways, I took four brief breaks in the final half, ravenously consuming my PowerGel packet around mile 14 (or "mile 8" as far as the double-sided marker post read). I dare say it gave me a much desired energy boost. Plus I think I had a surplus of energy waiting to be employed since the group segment of the run had been so relaxed. Finally, after my last brief respite at mile 21, I brought it home back to mile 0 with an unprecedented fast finish, completing 22 miles in 3:12:27 (8:45/mi). Although Joe, Valerie, and Alden had departed long before (three vehicles were driven to the park), Rick remained behind waiting faithfully, staying warm in his car. And then there was that peculiar fellow practicing dramatic jujitsu in the middle of the parking lot ...
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That sounds like you all had fun. I didn't do a long run this week -- but I did a bunch of trail runs -- including the CBRC 5K trail race on Sat (once as warmup and once as race), and abt 8.5mi on St Mary's lake this morning (added some extra after one loop). This morning 5 of us ran the lake loop, and I was the only one to take a spill -- I stumbled and fell three (3!) times. My excuse is I must have been tired from Sat racing.

Durrr

That trail is notorious for tripping and stumbling --- and mud-related slipping and sliding following rainfall.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That trail is notorious for tripping and stumbling --- and mud-related slipping and sliding following rainfall.
              Two things I like about winter -- no bugs, and the parts that look muddy were all icy/crunchy. None were slippery, just crunchy. I don't think I'd like that trail in the summer -- neither the bugs nor the muddy/wet parts.

Durrr

I'm wondering if I'll be brave enough to run in the snow tonight. It might just have to be an elliptical day.
                Durrr

Yesterday I returned to the Three Notch Bike Path to resume my long tempo run workout series, which I hadn't done in several weeks. Previously I did nine miles at a 7:30/mi pace, so the task yesterday was to run 10 miles at an equal pace --- or at least one not too far off. It was bitter cold again, but I was well protected by a turban-like stocking cap and heavy duty gloves. Anyways, I've gotten into a bad habit over the past few months of taking breaks during long runs as though it's a requirement. But yesterday I refused to bring my mighty momentum to a halt --- not even once --- and finished 10 miles in 1:15:55 (7:35/mi). That's actually only five minutes and 39 seconds slower than my Lower Potomac River 10-Miler (PR) time from last October. It's of note, though, that the first half of the first mile was run at a moderate, 8:00/mi + "warm up" pace.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ya, I need to get new shoes too -- soon, while there's still time to break them in... Finally managed a pace run tonight -- but it turned into a descending pace run. I never looked at my watch, I just tried to go by feel, and apparently my attempts to push harder to overcome increasingly feeling tired did not accomplish what I desired (holding a fairly steady pace) but instead accomplished a descending pace tempo run. Well, it still gives me confidence -- not in judging my pace, but I don't care about that, that's why I have a GPS watch, but in being able to run a faster tempo than I expected, when tired. MTA: Oops, I was looking at a really old post in this group, where DR said he was buying new shoes -- I forgot how clicking on the rightmost page number doesn't take you to the end when there are a zillion pages...

Durrr

Last night on the street I did 8 X 800. Yasso style. The intervals ranged from 3:20 to 3:29 in duration --- until the eighth and final 800, which I pulled off in 3:05. I was actually able to begin my 1.5-mile warm up by 4:45 p.m., so I enjoyed plenty of light. It was, however, quite dark when I finished my one-mile cool down around 6:15 p.m. (6.5 miles total for the day). And despite the fair amount of sunshine in the sky, it was snowing throughout much of the exercise! The flakes were nothing but inconsequential flurries, though.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Skipped running tonight -- first day in a while I've skipped, but it was cold, dark, late, and so I decided to go with "day off to recover from tempo run on Tue" excuse Smile

Durrr

I also skipped last night. It was indeed cold, and I wouldn't have been able to start my run until almost 6 p.m.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did something innovative, I think, today -- did 20 miles on trails at Calvert Cliffs. It wasn't a continuous run -- near the beginning was the trail race, which was a 4mi out & back on the fire road. That may be the toughest course I've run in this area, because of the rolling hills. Of course, I rested and drank and chatted after that, but eventually went back out, and finally racked up 20 miles, even if it took into the early afternoon -- pace on the trails was, of course, slow. I'm happy with that -- I figure it was a good leg strength workout.

Durrr

That reminds me of the Lower Potomac River 10-Miler, when you ran the 10-mile race --- and followed it with 10 miles of cooling down! I've still yet to run the Calvert Cliffs trails. Yesterday I endeavored accomplish a workout idea you posited awhile ago --- something along the lines of a 16-mile out-and-back run with the first half at an 8:00/mi pace and the second half at a 7:30/mi pace. Well my own version was a bit abridged ... and somewhat slower. Although I originally planned for the full 16 miles, likely to be run upon 249, I got a late start to the day and had to come up with something shorter and closer to home. Thus I went over to the Charlotte Hall library, but not to use the Three Notch Bike Path (nor to check out any books). I actually began on the path, but then abruptly turned right onto Rt. 6 and headed for Laplata! The task was to run seven miles out at a moderate, 8:15-8:30/mi pace and then seven miles back at a sub-8:00/mi pseudo-tempo pace. Fourteen miles total. Oh, and the temperature felt close to 60 degrees! I'd never run on that two-lane rural highway before, but I knew that it has wide shoulders from the library all the way to Laplata, and that the traffic would be far from non-stop. However, the very slowest passing cars seemed to be doing a minimum of 60 mph. And though the paved shoulders were consistent, they were also covered --- smothered! --- with horse poop. Did I mention that this road passes through dense Amish country? Anyways, I'd carefully mapped out the run beforehand using mapmyrun.com, and it seemed as though the elevation would range from level to rolling --- except for one mightily deep valley. Still, it couldn't be that bad, I thought. Well as I approached the four-mile mark, the land up ahead all but dropped away. It was like peacefully flowing down a river in a boat only to realize you're about to go over a waterfall. Consulting mapmyrun.com again, I see that, over the course of a half mile, the elevation dropped no less than 100 feet. A long, long, long slope. So when that decline became an incline during the return, semi-tempo segment of the run, I essentially had to become Rocky from Rock IV. You know, when he runs up the snowy Russian mountain, in parallel contrast to Ivan Drago's extreme incline treadmill workout. When I finally achieved the soaring summit, I cast a look back over my shoulder, scarcely believing how high I'd climbed. Though far from being the steepest, I truly think that that was the most mountainous hill I'd ever conquered. I was going to break briefly at the top, but elected rather to bring the pace down to a jog for a couple minutes (I actually never paused the run. I even opened and consumed my PowerGel packet around mile 9 without missing a step!). Thanks to the Lap button, I can accurately report the stats of the run: 7 miles out in 59:12 (8:27/mi); 7 miles back in 54:35 (7:48/mi); 14 miles overall in 1:53:48 (8:08/mi). My half marathon time was just under 1:47:00. Rick: was this the weekend of your 20-miler?
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice job DR -- I haven't managed to do that workout yet (and will run out of time to attempt it pretty soon).