The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did just under 24mi today -- about 9 down at St Mary's City on the woodland trails, then a little under 15 over on Piney Point on the 249 part of the course. Those hills from the VL PO up to rt 5 are going to be the killer part of the course I think. I'm not sure where the turnaround is, but I suspect it is somewhere along the white fence of the farms just below rt 5 -- on the last uphill going up to rt 5. I also tried out some new shoes I bought yesterday -- but only for the first 9mi -- I switched to some regular shoes for the longer part. My feet were happier in the new ones for the earlier part, but it's hard to draw conclusion from that -- it might be just that my feet got sore from all the running instead of having anything to do with the shoes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I was a big fan of the course DR and I followed in Ridge. The road was somewhat desolate for being a major highway and the long stretch of shoulder mostly bordered woods. My watch said 39:30 when I turned around, so pretty terribly slow. Much like DR, but also nothing like DR, I was trying to save a bit for the run back and probably could have gone out harder. I feel somewhat guilty to have slowed DR down that much, especially considering I ran a negative split on my return to finish in 1:17:53, so a 38:23 return four miles. I was at first concerned getting 6 might be too much, but everything went well and I felt great when I turned around at 4. My goals recently have centered around not doing anything that would give me excuses to take too many days off, so I was not going to go over 8 miles. This mostly paid off, as I was able to run 5 miles with Phil the next day (we did a couple of repeat miles, though I made a point of not running them too fast. I now plan to either take today off or to go to the gym briefly. I thought I was on pace to do 20 miles last week. I didn't realize that my two "long runs" happened in the same calendar week, so I actually managed 24 miles this past week. I don't really plan to go beyond that this week, as my current mileage these past few weeks goes something like this: Week 1: 8 miles (Rick's birthday) Week 2: 0 miles (sick) Week 3: 11 miles Week 4: 24 miles

Diesel Power

Saturday's long run featured one of the worst moments of my life (which kind of suggests I've had a pretty cushy life, I suppose). I set out to run 20-miles on the relatively flat NCR Trail. Being that my marathon goal pace was 9:09, I figured anywhere in the range of 9:30 - 9:50 would be a decent training pace for this run. My actual pace was probably closer to 9:20 for the first five or six miles, because I felt pretty good. I did the first ten miles by running out to the five mile marker and back. This was because I knew the water fountain near the start was working... however, as was the case when DR, Joe, Alden, Val and I all ran a few weeks ago, I was worried that the pipes would be shut-off further up the trail. By the time I got to 10 miles, I was starting to struggle. I felt similar cramps to when I ran 18 miles in the aforementioned run. I set back out, almost trotting for the next two miles. By mile 12, I felt as though I was getting punched in the stomach with every step. I stopped for about five minutes to rest, after which I tried to jog some more. I made it about another tenth of a mile before I had to stop again, almost doubling-over. By this point, the wind chill was dropping toward freezing and it was beginning to rain. I realized that there was no way I could run another eight miles if I couldn't jog for even a quarter-mile. I began my own personal walk of shame: two-plus miles in a cold drizzle. Dozens of people passed me in either direction, most of them runners. I avoided eye-contact at all cost, as it was obvious I just experienced a running-meltdown. Needless to say, I'm scrapping plans to run the marathon in March. I've narrowed down what probably caused Saturday's disaster, but I still don't feel like I've done enough for it. Maybe if I started to collape closer to mile 18 or 19, I'd be considering it. However, I've run 10-12 miles many times and have never experienced anything close to this. I wouldn't be comfortable running a marathon if my longest run in training was 18-miles, about 6-7 weeks prior to the race. I think it was a perfect-storm of errors that caused the major cramps. First, I did not start running until 1pm. All I consumed that morning was a bagel with peanut butter, around 9am. My body is used to consuming lunch around noon, so skipping a meal probably hurt considerably. Second, I had probably close to 65 ounces of fluid (Gatorade/water) that morning. It wasn't very smart, but I wanted to make sure I was hydrated. Instead, I probably managed to over-hydrate myself. Joe and DR would probably agree (based on high school running experience) that I sweat A LOT. That probably means I need to consume more than water on these long runs (anything over ~10 miles), but drinking even cut-Gatorade while running makes me a little sick. I'm considering take a page out of Alden's book and investing in some salt capsules for running. From what I've researched, apparently these can mitigate pains caused by while running.
        Durrr

Perry: how do you feel after two 5ks on Saturday and (practically) 24 miles worth of running yesterday? Now would be the ideal time to being tapering for the marathon. I myself won't be doing anything highly intense or overlong between now and March 8th. Joe: I'd like to absolve you from any guilt you might feel over "slowing me down" during the first four miles on Saturday. I imagine that, if anything, that "warm up" is what invested me with the energy I needed to pull off my fierce fast finish. Rick: I'm incredibly sorry that that happened to you. I think you deserve major props for giving marathon training your best shot. It would be totally different if you were throwing in the towel simply because you hadn't done the training --- like other runners we might now. But you put in the time and the dedication, and were unfortunately the victim of forces (that were mostly) beyond your control, which conspired to make participating in the marathon unfeasible. I don't think, however, that your training was in vain. You've got a great mileage and long run base behind you now, and I bet you could utilize that power towards running a PR 10k in the near future (any interest in the Hospice 10k? I think I'm doing it). And it was wise that your strategy for Saturday's ill-fated run was to do five miles out-and-back twice rather than 10 miles out-and-back once. Could you imagine how miserable an eight-mile "walk of shame" would've been in the freezing drizzle? It probably would've taken about two and half hours! Anyways, we'll be missing you on March 8th. I was in sore, exhausted agony on Saturday evening, and I felt rather lethargic yesterday, too. But I did nothing but RICE, and now today --- a company holiday --- I'm feeling just fine. I'll probably just do a carpet core workout tonight, and tomorrow I'll return to running with some mild maintenance miles.

Diesel Power

DR - Are your long runs essentially done until the marathon? I've read that it can take the body a day to recover for every mile raced. Of course, you were going slower than race pace, but I'd imagine it will take a couple of weeks to recover from a 24-mile training run, so your body can achieve maximum benefit. Thanks for understanding. As I told you on Saturday, the next time I train for a marathon, it will hopefully be with Charm City Run's training group. Apparently I can train myself decent for races up to a half marathon, but all of that knowledge is pretty useless when trying to take it up to the next level. I am pretty happy that I did all of those long runs over the summer, and hopefully it will transfer well into the spring racing season. My next race could be a 15K on 3/29. I'm going to try and work tempos and speedwork back into the mix. I'm also planning on a 10K in late May, and the Baltimore 10-mile race on 6/20 would be the season's goal race. However, I do still need an April race. It would be interesting to see if my time improves at all from a mid-April 10K to a late May 10K. I will keep that in mind.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Condolences on having to walk down a path full of runners Sad I'm feeling pretty good - but I've been doing a LOT of miles - hopefully it will help me on the marathon, or if not, on other races... I don't think I'm doing any more 20 mile runs -- I think yesterday was my peak. As you say, it is 3 weeks, and some people taper from 3, and I think I won't try anything hard or really long next weekend.

Durrr

I'm officially in taper mode, so the only "long" runs left to tackle between now and the marathon will be a 10-mile run this weekend (if I can find time) and an eight-mile run the weekend before the race. Following the instruction of my marathon guidebook, these workouts will be run with the first halves at a moderate pace and the second halves at marathon pace. Remember Kaitlin Farrell, our classmate and fellow cross country team member? Well as I gleaned from Facebook, this past weekend she ran the Austin (TX) Marathon in 4:20:19 (9:57/mi). Not bad!
                Durrr

I intended for this week to be something of a recovery week --- but not quite to this degree. I've only run six miles so far! After taking Sunday and Monday off, I went on a very mild three-mile maintenance run on Tuesday. Though there wasn't any soreness to speak of in my feet or legs, there was still some woeful rawness elsewhere. Wednesday --- a cold, damp, dreary day if ever there was one --- found me drearily drowsy and destitute of motivation. So I didn't do anything. Yet though, due to time constraints, I only did three miles last night, they were three good ones. I included six virtually all-out Fartlek speed bursts ranging from 100 to 200 yards in length. And, according to the Forerunner, the maximum pace I achieved was 4:05/mi. I felt I could use some brief speed/strength training while I still have a chance (before full marathon tapering sets in), as everything I've done over the past two months has related to stamina and endurance training.
                    I don't really trust myself to give good tapering advice, because it's something very difficult to do correctly. I would recommend following your pre-determined plan 100% during these last two weeks (if your plan gives you daily workouts).
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There is a marathon here tomorrow morning. I have been wondering what was happening tomorrow -- saw signs on various street corners for something on Feb 22, but I couldn't make out any of what it was about. Someone just told me the Okinawa marathon is tomorrow, and I just checked, and sure enough it is. I could even do it - I don't have to work tomorrow - but I found an English website for it, and both in-person and online registration for it closed before Jan 1, so I can't. Oh well. That might not have been a good taper anyway Smile

Durrr

Hey, you ran two 5ks in one day last weekend, so why not try two marathons in two weeks time!
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ha, I can't even figure out where the darn course runs exactly. I think it may not be on large roads...

Durrr

On Saturday afternoon I returned to the Three Notch Bike Path for my first taper phase long run --- 10 miles at a pace close to intended marathon pace. I did that fairly successfully, running an average pace of 8:16/mi (finishing somewhere around 1:22:40). After running 24 miles the previous Saturday, I thought 10 would be a breeze, yet it was still a tad fatiguing in its own right. And I also did something foolish that temporarily messed up my left knee. You see, a long stretch of the trail is heavily wooded, and at one point there was a thick vine hanging down from a tree, right over the paved path. I passed it without incident twice (my run was 2.5 miles out-and-back twice), but on the third pass I finally gave into the urge. At a run, I leaped up, grabbed the vine, and swung --- very briefly before my weight pulled the woody vine down a couple feet. To avoid crashing into the asphalt, I had to stop the swinging momentum with my left foot, putting great impact on my knee at that jarring angle. My stride was a bit limpy after that. I certainly need to run this afternoon. I just ate three donuts!
                              If you're reading this, then you probably already saw the RunningAHEAD announcement that: Feb 25 - I integrated Garmin Forerunner (and probably all of Garmin's GPS) to RunningAHEAD today. You can import your data directly from your GPS using the "GPS Import" button on the toolbar above. The new feature came with its own set of style sheet changes. You will need to force a reload to bring in the modified files if the pages don't look right to you. That's good news for some of you.
                              Durrr

I may attempt accessing all that sometime soon ... Yesterday was one of those evenings where it seems like every force imaginable is conspiring to thwart my run. I'll spare the trivial circumstantial details, but suffice it to say that I didn't get to begin the run until 6 p.m.! I'd missed Tuesday and Wednesday and, though I am tapering, I knew that last night was the latest point at which I could safely perform an intense workout before the marathon. So, in the midst of a five-mile run, I ran a three-mile hard tempo (from miles 1.5 to 4.5, and everything before and after was warm up and cool, respectively). Thankfully daylight has made a big comeback, so even though the time was ticking through the six o'clock hour, sufficient illumination endured. That lingering light also allowed, however, for others to remain outside. Near the end of my warm up segment, I was running down a familiar nearby street when, from up on a hill, two middle school boys (or early high school at the oldest) playing basketball began heckling --- shouting, with a decidedly taunting tone, "Hey, kid! Hey you, kid!" Surely they couldn't be addressing me, I thought (I'm probably practically old enough to be their fathers!). Maybe they were just calling a dog whose name happened to be Kid. But then one of them declared, a bit threateningly, "Yeah, you, the one running!" Well, I didn't give them the satisfaction of acknowledgment, and I promptly began the tempo and fled that neighborhood --- though I'll admit I ended up casting a few furtive looks back over my shoulder, especially as dusk deepened into night. Anyways, I completed the three-mile tempo in 20:23 (6:48/mi) and the overall five miles somewhere around 38:40 (overall average pace in the 7:40s). This run made me feel confident that, if I were running a 5k next weekend rather than a marathon, I might have a shot at breaking 20:00. That would be pleasing, since I've done a scarce amount of hard speed training over the past three months.