The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Diesel Power

It felt much colder than the 50 degrees that the thermometer reported as I went out to run this evening. Probably had something to do with the wind. I found myself at Perry Hall High School for the second week in a row for an interval workout. Goucher's track is reportedly open to the public again, but it's pretty nice having a track largely to myself. I warmed up for just short of 2.25 miles over to the track. As I said yesterday, the workout was to include 2x1600 at 10K pace, and 1x1200, 1x800, 1x400 between 5K and 10K pace. I aimed to jog recoveries for three minutes after the mile intervals, and half the interval distances after the shorter, faster legs. Actual Time (Goal time) 1600 - 6:53 (7:09) - Went out way to fast on the first interval. On the plus side, I looked at my watch after 800 meters and noted that I was at 3:26. At least I kept pace consistent. The bad thing is my legs felt dead at the end. 1600 - 7:06 (7:09) - Better pace, but probably due to the fact that I was starting to drag. 1200 - 5:17 (5:00) - Felt terrible throughout this leg. I actually considered punting and going home, but instead settled for resting for three minutes rather than jogging the recovery. 800 - 3:18 (3:20) - I felt a bit better after the rest, and decided not to rest after this leg. Instead, I went right into the recovery before the final lap. 400 - 1:38 (1:40) - I purposely held myself back from going all-out. That probably wouldn't have been the best thing considered I was in the process of wrapping-up the first back-to-back difficult days of running I've done in quite sometime. Instead, I left enough energy to do 6x100 strides (untimed) and cool down 1.25 miles back to the house. This was definitely the hardest workout I've done so far this year, as it started out with two miles at below 10K pace followed by some faster stuff. Still, it's not the hardest workout I've ever done in the past couple of years... Phil - Have you done the interval workout in (I believe) weeks 4 and 6 of the Ryan Hall program? It was a real ball breaker, especially when I tried it out in week four. Two weeks later it seemed much easier. That can probably be credited to the humidity being noticeably higher the first time. I haven't added up the total for the day, but I imagine I'll fall somewhere between 7-8 miles if I include the recovery jogs.
    Durrr

I admire your dedication to recovery jogs. Unless it's something shorter than an 800, I always just stop after a hard interval. This afternoon/evening --- which was surprisingly cold and dreary --- featured an old fashioned hills workout at Ryken. After rendezvousing in the packed parking lot, Joe, Phil, and I did a 1.5-mile warm up around campus amidst the throng of multiple game days (men and women's lacrosse, softball). I must say that it's delightful to have Joe back on track as a dedicated runner. For much of the past couple years, he would only be able to keep up for about half the warm up before falling way back, and when it came time to do the workout, he'd usually do something quite different from my and/or Phil and/or Perry's agenda. But now he hangs right up there with us from warm up's beginning to cool down's end. Anyways, after the warm up we strolled on over to the hill zone. I don't think any of us were exactly ripping and rearing to go for a hardcore hills workout. Joe and Phil had done an intense track interval set just the day before, and I hadn't done any serious speed/strength work in months. Nonetheless we trudged down to the water and braced ourselves for the agony of four standard Einboden hills. Upon cresting the first little hill and hitting the soccer field straightaway at the first interval's onset, Phil tried to take an early lead but I mustered past, achieving the big base first. And, though I could hear his ragged breath right behind me the whole way up the hill, I negotiated the sharp turn around the fence post (an obstacle we didn't have to deal with back in high school) more deftly and opened up a wide lead on the final sidewalk straightaway past Rupert, finishing the first hill interval first in 1:23 whilst Phil came plodding in about six seconds later (and Joe around 20 seconds after that). I definitely took that one too hard, and 1:23 ended up being my fastest split of the set. Oh, and my throat and lungs were on fire. The second hill went in much the same fashion, except this time I finished in 1:26 and Phil was only two seconds behind. We all decided to hang back on the third repetition --- mainly so that we'd have something left for the finale. As such, I ran that one in 1:38 while Phil more or less ran abreast with Joe, coming in around 1:47. Finally, for the fourth standard Einboden hill, I endeavored to go all out but yielded a strong early to Phil and watched him pull ahead as my form faltered and my strength seeped away. I honestly felt like I was jogging as I ascended that big old hill --- even though I was surely striving hard. So, Phil was victorious in that final interval, hitting the sidewalk's end around 1:26 to my 1:30. Joe finished his in 2:00 flat (we later calculated our average hill times, and discerned that mine was 1:29 and Phil's was approximately 1:32. I'm guessing Joe would've been around 1:50). But the workout wasn't over yet! After only a brief respite, we marched over and down to the baseball field's right far outfield for 2 X "Everest" sprints. That interval tract may only be about 75 yards long, but it's damn near vertical. Near the top it becomes less like running and more like climbing with your feet! So, with a time of 16 seconds, I was king of the mountain on the first ascension, as Phil again ran abreast with Joe. But on the next (and final interval of the day), we gave it everything we had and charged madly up. Phil won by a nose, achieving the summit in just about 13.2 seconds to my 13.8 seconds. Though it took a great deal of time, all that hill running only added up to roughly one mile, so after our 1.5-mile cool down we had but a modest four miles for the day --- but felt the pain of many more.
        I took yesterday, Thursday, off. I needed to take either Thursday or Friday off, but Friday would have been the ideal to day to take lightly. I could have run 6 last night and taken today easy, but now I'm likely to only do 3 or 4 tonight since it's before a race. Granted, I'm trying to train through the race, but at my current mileage, I think I'm prone to injury if I do too much to train through a race. So the bad news is I'm not doing exactly what I wanted, though I'm pretty close. The good news is that I haven't felt this much runner's guilt in years. I don't know where the evening went. I went home, ate dinner, and it was like 7pm, which meant with the rain that I'd be running in darkness during rain. No thanks.

Diesel Power

You’ll at least have decent weather tonight. I think today will have the lowest chance of rain for the next few days (at least up this way), and the temperature is supposed to top out slightly north of 60. I’m planning to run 11 miles tonight due to potential family commitments tomorrow. I work only a few miles from an NCR Trail parking lot, so I’ll be going there directly after work. However, I realized on the way into work that I had forgotten my watch at home. I actually figured that would happen last night. The Forerunner’s batteries were all but dead, so I had no choice but to put it in the charger before going to bed. Regardless, I’m forging ahead and will be running blind tonight. There’s a parking lot for the NCR Trail almost exactly 0.5 miles from the start, so I’ll just run out to the six mile marker and back. Should be pretty interesting. I’m still kicking around the notion of doing the 15K this weekend. I’d like to see what other races are happening in the area this weekend. Charmcityrun.com provides the best list of races local to me, but it appears as though I can no longer access that site from work. If anyone can access that website and let me know if any races are listed for 3/28 or 3/29, it would be appreciated. Joe – Any thoughts/predictions for the race this weekend? Or is this purely going to be a test of your current level of fitness?
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

charmcityrun has no races in March at all -- their list starts on Apr 4.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, Colon may be a trail run, and the ground is wet, so who knows what times will be like...

If it were a perfectly flat course and the temperature was 55 degrees with no wind, then I might get into the 23s. Like Perry says, I don't expect ideal conditions or a top performance from me, so 26ish is a realistic goal. That means just over 8 per mile, which I think will be a good challenge. I know I can run sub-8 miles, but I'm not sure I can run three of them in a row. I'm going to try a new racing method, though. I'm going to focus on making my second mile my best mile, which is a new strategy for me. I usually focus on not making the second mile an abysmal recovery mile. So tomorrow, I may go out in about 8 (which will be a fast start) and then try to run sub-8, which will be extremely difficult at that point. I will not have anything to pace myself with, which is part of my strategy, because if I feel good trying to run an 8 pace, then odds are I will actually be running below 8 for the first mile. I predict something between 24 and 27 for tomorrow. If most of the race is run in grass, then everything goes out the window, because wet grass can really slow you down.
                Durrr

If you maintained a nonstop 8:00/mi pace, your 5k time would be 24:52.
                  philibusters

I did approximately a ten mile run at St. Mary's Park today. I ran 1 hour 39 minutes. I did the 7.5 mile loop in 1 hour 12 minutes and 40 seconds. That is about a 9:40 pace I believe, though I felt like I was moving faster. I honestly thought I was going around 9 minutes most of the time, with spots here and there slower and other spots a little faster. That loop just doesn't run that quickly. Not the place to set your 7.5 mile running personal best. 10 miles is now my new personal best post 2001 for running distance. I might try another 9 or 10 mile run before I try Joe's crazy idea of a long run, which I have a bad feeling will require me to walk somewhere around the 12 or 13 mile mark. I was not absolutely dead after the run, but I was feeling fatigued the last mile and was looking forward to the ending. I think this week when I do a track workout, I won't do anything shorter than an 800.

Diesel Power

I did an 11 mile run on the NCR Trail this afternoon/evening, so it was mainly flat. As I mentioned previously, I forgot my watch when I left for work so I was forced to run blind. However, I discovered the iPod nano has a stopwatch function, so I was at least able to see what the total run was, though not the splits I've been used to seeing. I was actually pretty astonished that I finished the run around 1:34:30 (I forget the exact mark). Offhand I think that might be an 8:40ish pace, but like I said, the run was pretty much flat. When I tackle more hilly terrain, my long run pace has been closer to 9:00 - 9:15 recently.
                      Durrr

As posited on the forum several days ago, my task yesterday was to run an "endurance refresher." No tempos, just long distance. And since the intended distance was supposed to be at least 14 miles yet no more than 18, I chose a happy medium and went for 16. Usually I determine my route before a run and then stick to it faithfully, but yesterday --- a soggy, dreary, though passably warm afternoon --- I altered the predetermined and post-determined course several times as I ran. The original intention was to drive over the Charlotte Hall public library and run eight miles out and back on Rt. 6 --- heinous hills be damned. But right before I started, I decided to run the first four miles on the Three Notch Trail by running two miles out and back on the path (it was relatively deserted on account of the drab weather). Then, however, I elected to pursue the trail until its utter end and turn left onto the neighborhood street it junctions with (practically in Hughesville). I ran through that quaint, previously unexplored neighborhood for about a quarter of a mile before the Forerunner clocked 3.00 miles, at which point I reversed and went straight back to the library --- effectively doing six miles out and back before setting off upon Rt. 6. Five miles out and back was the plan then. But as I ran down the manure-smeared shoulder of Rt. 6, passing by some cows that silently stared me down with ominous menace, I greatly began to dread the mountainous slopes and hills that would be coming up in a couple miles. After Wednesday's hill workout, I just wasn't in the mood to deal with all that incline. So, although I was supposed to make my final U-turn at mile 11, I did it instead at mile 9.5 --- where I was just yards from the top of what would've been a long, long descent (and you can't go down without coming back up). Thus I returned to the library with a Forerunner count of 13 miles, and rounded up the the run by doing another 1.5 miles out and back on the trail. I dropped the pace below 8:00/mi in the final leg of the journey, achieving a fierce fast finish, and finally completed 16 miles in 2:16:48 (8:33/mi). The fatigue was minimal at the end, and I was even able to do a couple strides without any protest from my knees. What I was most pleased with, though, was that I never once stopped during the course of the run --- not even when I took down a PowerGel pack around mile 10. I think my marathon training is still vital!
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've run St Mary's lake a couple times, and I don't think times on it compare at all to a road race -- much slower. Aha, I was waiting to hear explanation of an "ominous staring cows" comment I saw by DR elsewhere -- now it is clarified Smile I did a long run today -- unplanned -- and it wiped me out -- had to huddle on the floor drinking some liquid food thing in the bathroom, b/c I had nausea and wasn't sure what I could hold down. Then I got a blanket and laid down huddled under it and fell asleep for a short while. Just utterly wiped out. Think maybe the heat & sun had something to do with it. However, I did walk by the governor -- ok, this long run had walking breaks in the middle, as I ran to Maryland Day, walked around a bit, then ran back. Probably won't even see the governor in the middle of a long run again.

Running 21 miles the day after a race, even if it's just a 5k, is quite taxing on the body. I'm glad you survived. Wow!
                            Durrr

Sounds like you should take a recovery week, Perry. Did you refuel with gel or anything during the course of your running today? I think nausea following a long run is usually due to a lack of sugar or electrolytes.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No, no refueling. Actually I thought it would be like the River concert series -- I ran to it, and ate, and hung out, and ran back, at least twice last summer. Actually there was some grilled food there, but when I got there, I didn't feel like eating, and was tired, and didn't want to stay long. Probably would have been better if I had gotten some food anyway, and walked longer. But I was mainly disappointed there wasn't much to drink except soda and water; I was hoping for gatorade. There was gatorade at the river concert.