The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Diesel Power

2/26/08 Greenside Drive / York Road 5:30 - 6:30 pm… 45 degrees, drizzling, and a bit humid I warmed up for 8:30, then ran a two mile course around my apartment (courtesy of MapMyRun.com). Much like last week's workout, this was ran faster than intended. However, I no longer think of this as a huge deal since I'm only doing one hard workout a week. This was intended to be a two mile tempo run at an 8:00 pace, but the actual splits were 7:14 and 7:23. The course isn't flat, but not exactly hilly. Net elevation is negligable, though. I immediately went into a 10 minute cool down, and felt like I could do more afterwards. However, I ended the day there with slightly over four miles (round down to four) in favor of a solid icing session. I don't think that my goal for the Saint Patrick's Day 5K in less than three weeks (3/16) is out of reach. As I've said before, I want to at least break 23:00 in order to start the racing year on the right foot toward breaking 20:00 in a 5K. Next week's workouts include 2 x 1600 at a 10K pace on Tuesday, and a 1 mile time trial on Thursday (10 days before the first race). During the early races of the fall, running a mile time trial within a week or so of the race became fairly indicative of what my first mile time would be.
    Durrr

So the idea for the one-mile time trial is to run a mile in the time you intend to run your first mile in an upcoming race? When I did 3 X 1600 last fall, the splits were approximately 5:41, 5:45, and 5:36. Then my one-mile split at Jingle Bell 12 days later was 5:41 --- meaning my one-mile race time was consistent with my repeat 1600 times. So I'm not sure how doing another 5:41 mile two days after the 3 X 1600 workout would have helped me for the race.

Diesel Power

It pretty much boils down to curiosity. I'm intrigued as to how fast I can flat out run a mile right now, albeit without competition. The mile time trial, in theory, should be significantly faster than the repeats on Tuesday, if I hold true and do those at a slower pace. The time trials in the fall were something like 10-15 seconds faster than my first mile times in the following races. Of course, between now and next Thursday, I may scrap the mile time trial for hills or something to that extent. It pretty much boils down to how the workout goes on Tuesday.
        Durrr

I'm still frequently coughing, but nonetheless I'll be running today for the first time since Saturday. I'm going to run every other day from now until the marathon. Today: 5 miles Friday: Off Saturday: 8 miles (at marathon pace) Sunday: Off Monday: 3 miles Tuesday: Off Wednesday: 5 miles Thursday: Off Friday: 3 miles Saturday: Off Sunday: oh I don't know ... 26.2 or so Perry, we haven't heard from you since Monday. How is the foot?
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've not run since Saturday. If I have time, I'm going to try today and see how it feels. I'm kind of pessimistic though.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I managed to get out and complete five miles at an 8:24 pace last night. It wasn't pleasant. There was a lot of coughing and wheezing, and I had the horrible sensation of my lungs drowning in fluid --- thus leading to an overproduction of saliva. My eight-mile run tomorrow will hopefully go better. How did it go for you yesterday, Perry? Have you registered for the marathon yet?

Diesel Power

February 28, 2007 Greenside Drive / York Road Van Buren Hills 6:00 - 7:00pm… Wind chill of about 20 degrees. I warmed up for almost 13:00, probably a bit under 1.5 miles. I decided recently to switch up how hills are being done. I like doing the short hills because my legs definitely get a workout from it, but I feel too well rested afterwards. Therefore, every other week I'll switch things up and do a long set of hills. The long hill in question is next to my apartment complex (up Van Buren road). The net elevation is fairly high. The hill itself is about 200 - 250 meters long, based on MapMyRun.com. Until I get an official measurement, I'm chalking them up as 200s (I need a meter wheel!). Being that this was the first week, I only did three. 1. 1:20 2. 1:18 3. 1:18 Cool down of 12:30 afterwards. I'll round mileage on the day to about three total. After each hill, my legs felt heavy and my lungs burned... much like after the hills during high school XC workouts. For some reason, that makes me feel more confident in my running ability today. I'll probably get up around 7:00am tomorrow. I have to do a boatload of studying for a Business Law exam on Monday, but I still want to be able to squeeze in a 5.5 mile run tomorrow. Now's not the time to take time off... after all, my season begins in just over two weeks! Of course, the season officially begins in just over ONE week...
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good luck on exam Rick. I decided not to go yesterday, but just ran today--two miles easy. Didn't actually hurt, but felt uncomfortable. I don't really know about treating injuries because I've never really had any. I haven't been stepping on ice like I probably should, so I'm sitting here with my foot on an ice pack now Smile I'll probably try the group run Sun morn if my foot feels ok. Last night I dragged an old stationary bike from the porch in and tried that. I got it last summer for $5 from a thrift store, and Crystal makes me keep it outside. So I got a nice workout carrying it in, and then when I set it up to try riding it and watching a movie, I got a surprise -- it is a lot more tiring than I expected. Before 5min in I had revised my plan from riding it while watching an entire movie, to riding it at least as long as the previews and hopefully several minutes into the movie. I worked hard to last 18min on it in the end. Happily, today my thighs/quads were not sore -- I had anticipated they might be. I didn't register yet, so I'll have to pay the higher March price to register -- but oh well, the whole reason I held off on registration was so that if I was injured I'd feel free to choose, so its apropos -- now I'm injured and still deciding which way I'll choose.

Durrr

Rick: are you sure that they weren't a bit longer than 200? Or were you intentionally doing them at a 10:00 + pace? Perry: well, even if you wait until race day to register ($70), you'll still get the $10 CBRC member discount!

Diesel Power

I said 200 - 250, maybe longer. For the sake of recording mileage, I'm rounding down until I have an official measurement.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've a bit of a cold myself -- hope you get over yours ASAP DR. I'm going to continue trying low & slow mileage, and doing other exercising. It's almost worrisome how I came to enjoy not running by the end of this past week Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fri 2 miles Sat 4.5 miles Sun (this morning) est 6.5 miles at est. 8.5min pace with the tri group Sunday morning run Sole felt uncomfortable by halfway thru this mornings mid-distance run, but not actually hurting Definitely taking tomorrow off Probably will mail in my marathon entry form early this coming week -- hope it's not yet full Sat I swam after the run (1600m of mixed stuff), and that wiped me out -- someone set me on doing alternating 50 kickboard 50 free, and I really like that -- I can do it without resting -- the kickboard part I find exhausting -- I did 500m of that. At the end of the workout I went to do an under/over sprint (underwater 25m then sprint back 25m) and my left calf cramped during the over part. So I rested and tried again, being careful not to push off wall with left leg -- and my right calf cramped in the over part. I finished it anyway. All that calf exercise that I'm not accustomed to might be why I was so tired out afterwards, and still this morning when I woke up. But it felt good. Happily there weren't any lifeguards in the air to see me rolling around in the middle of the lane trying to stretch out my left calf while treading water with one hand -- I probably looked like a drowning fish Smile

Durrr

Sounds like you invented a new stroke! I haven't done any extensive swimming in a couple years, but the last time I did it was truly fatiguing. Yesterday I did my final pre-marathon "long" run --- 8.1 miles in 1:02:02 (average pace 7:40/mi). The idea was to run it at marathon pace, so I'd intended to run the first half an an 8:00/mi pace and the second half around 7:50-55/mi. But I started out overeager, running mile one just over 7:00 and mile two around 15:30. However, once I made a U-turn at mile 2.5 (at the end of Golden Beach Rd), I found myself running face-first into a steady, savage stream of wind --- at least 30 miles an hour --- for the next four miles. It was almost unbearable. Luckily the final two miles put the wind at my back, allowing me to finish with a swift pace. This is how the rest of the week will go: Today: Off Monday: Off Tuesday: 3 miles slow Wednesday: 4 miles at marathon pace Thursday: Off Friday: 3 miles slow Saturday: Off Sunday: MARATHON
                            Durrr

Also I dropped some money at Sports Authority yesterday and got a new pair of shoes --- THE shoes I'll be wearing in the race --- and also two pairs sleeveless UnderArmor shirts.
                              Spoon

NEVER EVER switch up shoes or try out untested clothing on race day - especially at something as long and grueling as a marathon...