The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

philibusters

The default for maps is that they are private.  You can switch the default setting to make them all publicly viewable or just check the box to make certain ones publicly viewable.  

philibusters

Exhibit A.

Exhibit B.

If you zoom in on the spot where the 10k course U-turn falls (setting the map to satellite for good measure), it's clear that in 2011 the U-turn fell just before that dirt driveway (on the left as you're heading south on Rt. 234) --- but that today the U-turn fell a bit past that driveway. I'm convinced that's why I had 6.27 miles this year as opposed to the 6.22 I ended up with last year ... and why I was robbed of narrowly breaking 36:00.

After reviewing your maps the maps definitely support your theory.  But if the maps are correct, does that mean last year's course was short or this year's course was long?

Durrr

I've run the 10k every year since 2009, and I'm certain that from 2009 to 2011 the course was consistent --- always measuring as 6.22 miles or 6.23 miles as far as my Forerunner is concerned. Until yesterday, when the measurement went up notably (Joe had 6.24 miles yesterday, but keep in mind that his reading at Chaptico or Crofton is usually more like 6.19 miles). Also, between those two maps I posted, note where the mile 6 marks fall. Last year it was on Hurry Rd, with the final left turn onto Zach Fowler just up ahead. Then yesterday I beeped for mile 6 when I was still on Maddox Rd, still approaching that sharp right turn onto Hurry.

You could of course argue endlessly about which version of the course was "long" or "short", but the simple fact is that it was longer than what the standard has been for at least several years. I would not have broken 37:00 last year if it had measured 6.27 miles then (I would've been closer to 37:10, and Joe probably over 37:45).

25 August 2012 (though I dated my check 27 August)

The Chaptico Classic

I tapered appropriately the week of the race, but not necessarily for the best of reasons. My diet sort of went to heck due to a few people inviting me out at night and then I didn't feel very energetic for some of my runs. I was feeling a bit lethargic midweek when I went to do a speed workout, which was further complicated by the cross country team using the track, so I resolved to do a few hard loops in the field that resembled a small fartlek more than an interval session. That helped set me into the mindset that I was going to taper.

Up until two weeks ago I had no particular expectation for the race. I was just going to run it. The Lounge Lizard 5k did not bode well for estimating my time at Chaptico. I raced it and my pace was closer to what I thought I would do in a 10k than a 5k.

Without Perry and Phil on the starting line I was unsure I would have many people to compete with in the race. DR and a guy in orange looked like they would be competition. I didn't spot anyone else that looked like a big threat, though. I took a front row spot for the start. I knew I would probably start slower than many of the people behind me, as the opening hill on the course punishes runners for starting too quickly, but the 10k was beginning without the 5k runners, so I didn't imagine too many people bursting out the gate.

The race started much to the surprise of everyone there. Mike Whitson finished up his necessary remarks, said, "Ready," and BOOM. Everyone was startled and not just because the cannon had gone off (they had tested it once earlier), but because nobody was actually ready so quickly after Whitson said ready. The runners all hurried to hit their start buttons and the timer lunged after some confusion to start the clock. DR moved swiftly down the hill. Others pursued. Several people passed me on the downhill. The pace evened out a bit on the flat between the downhill and in the turns before the uphill. I was running alongside Travis Priest. There were maybe 10 people in front of me at this point. Coming through the traffic circle a woman passed me. She wasn't moving much faster than I, but with us turning into the hill I had no interest in following her. I resolved to make no surges and would not cover any moves until after the hill. While on this hill and shortly after the first woman passed I heard two others come up behind me. One seemed to just as quickly fade away, but the other person was running somewhat on my shoulder. The person was wearing what seemed like purple. Ah, another woman probably concerned with losing the #1 spot to the woman ahead. After a couple of minutes with this person on my shoulder I realized it was Alison Parris.

The race ahead featured DR leaving the race behind him. As early as the turn toward the hill he took his first glance back, except he failed to find anyone in his periphery, so he had to twist his neck full around to see the chase pack behind him. There was a good 25+ meters between me and the chase pack and then another 25+ meters between the chase pack and DR. Pretty impressive considering we were probably not even 400 meters into the race at that point. I saw several guys in the chase pack share a laugh when they saw DR's effort to find anyone visible behind him. It was almost as if DR thought he had made a wrong turn or some tragedy had befallen the rest of the race behind him. He was on the path to being utterly alone from the moment the cannon set us off.

The chase pack included a gentleman wearing orange. He was easy to spot. The chase pack of about 5 guys could be somewhat lost in the overcast light, except for that guy in orange making their location obvious. He was like an anthropomorphic extension of the chase pack and so when I reminded myself I needed to close on the chase pack after the hill I focused mainly on catching the orange object.

After the hill one or two guys ahead were spaced out between the chase pack and me. Ahead of me I could see the #1 female very slowly pulling away. I could tell she had some hope of continuing forward. The chase pack had gotten very far ahead of me. The first mile marker came to me with my watching reading 6:15 (but over 1 mile on my watch). I estimated DR's chase pack ran the first mile in about 5:55. This meant I was probably 20 seconds behind them at just a mile in. That's not a gap to make up quickly. I knew I was seriously behind them after the opening mile. But over the course of a 10k catching up 20 seconds just means I have to go 4 seconds faster than them for each of the next 5 miles, which should be in my favor if I belong in their league and since I didn't tire myself on the opening hill. Yet as I began the second mile I began to worry, because I was not even closing ground on the woman who passed me, let alone DR's chase pack out ahead that was probably enjoying the boost of having a big pack.

I tried to match pace with the woman ahead of me or at lease close some ground on her, as this seemed necessary to reeling the chase pack in at all. I picked up my speed slightly and kept at it with some focus. It began to rain. It wasn't pouring down, but it wasn't a drizzle either. It was real rain. It persisted for a minute or two. I thought, "Well, it's going to be one of those races." The rain lasted for probably five minutes, but I was in a good spot mentally during it. I told myself that anyone running an uneven race was going to pay even more when they felt the weight of the water in their shoes and when they slowed from fatigue. The rain stopped while I was still chasing the lead woman, but one or two other runners returned to us by the turnaround. I became aware that during my pickup and the rain I left Alison Parris behind. I had caught two guys. I wasn't closing significantly on the lead woman, but I began to believe that she was running a very well paced race and that she and I did actually stand a chance of making up some distance on the chase pack.

Like an Olympic race, I expected some of the guys in the chase pack would hold on. There were too many of them. I also suspected some would drop. What I did not expect at the first turnaround is for somebody to come storming behind me and make a pass. Tom Burke, clad in green, went by me with a fairly strong move. His turnover and resolve both frightened me a bit, as I had been trying to make up ground and suddenly seemed to be losing it from a competitor not on my forward radar.  The long downhill portion of the Chaptico Classic has always been favorable to me. I tend to be able to push through it in a way that most of my competitors cannot. It's also what I've used to nearly catch DR before. I know it could cause me to run a weak last couple of miles, but it's a large part of the race and one I've had good luck using when necessary. I was not going to let Burke best me on that stretch of road. I ran on his tail for a few seconds while the road was still pretty flat and started devising ideas about when to safely make a sustained push past him. The 5k turnaround was nigh upon us and there was also a water stop ahead. Rather than get caught in the mess of it all I ran through a few narrow gaps of people to get to a clear spot to grab a cup of water, which I did, and then continued on my way without losing speed. I used the water stop as an opportunity to get a clear grab and simultaneously put me in front of him. I then held my foot down on the pedal a bit as the road slowly declined.

I saw a guy on a bike riding in the shoulder along with us. He would periodically cheer. I couldn't really tell who he was cheering along, but he seemed to be purposefully riding with the race. I cruised down the stretch of road with Tom Burke audible on my heels and I maintained strict mental resolve to never falter. We gobbled up another few 5kers and then one from the 10k. The few 5k runners ahead were moving barely slower than we were, which meant I was on pace to catch them about when they might start picking it up for the finish. The hill gets even more downhill by the turn back toward the 5k finish. I was certain I was inflicting some pain to Tom Burke at that point in the race. I was also just about to catch George Hall, but then he kicked it in to finish his 5k, so he pulled away before I could make a pass. I ran down the hill and grabbed a cup of water off the unattended table at full speed. I smiled to myself a bit thinking maybe it intimidated Tom Burke to see me take water without losing a single step ever. I barely drank any of the water. It was 50% just a tactic to weigh on his mind in case he didn't take water and started to look for excused why he might be tiring and I might not be.

I took the left at the bottom of the hill. This is that one last moment to savor your race before the hill humbles you. I was surprised to see Danny Bennett mere meters ahead of me after I made the turn. He looked to be fading badly. I picked him off just before we began the hill. It felt good to actually pass somebody at the hill for a change. I was worried Tom Burke, who looked so strong earlier in the race, would outperform me on the hill to reassert himself. I ran a controlled effort up the hill and expected his pass at any moment. He didn't pass me. At the top of the hill I told myself I needed to get back to normal pace. A few seconds passed. Then I actually picked up the tempo and fortunately did so without more than a few seconds passing where I still acted like I was on the hill. I saw another guy from the 10k out ahead and he was getting passed by the lead woman. Unsure of how close Burke might be behind me, I took the right turn onto the dirt road and grabbed another cup of water at full speed. I barely drank it. I then caught the guy in front of me and he asked if I was going to catch the person out ahead of me. I flat out told him that at this point I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. As good of a race as I was running, she was having the best race of anyone in the field I could witness. I was actually fairly close to her at this point and I ran the dirt road pretty well.

I lost myself a bit in the cross country aspect of the dirt roads. I felt I had left Burke and the other guy behind me. I now had maybe a mile and a half to catch the woman ahead of me. I couldn't see her around most of the turns. Despite being somewhat close to her when entering the dirt road, my finishing spot seemed pretty well determined without being able to see her ahead of me. I turned onto the road again and could see her out ahead. I could also see an orange jersey really far in the distance. The road feels strangely hard after being on dirt. I heard a few people after the race mention the dirt road as being a weird experience. I understand the asymmetry of it, but after having been on the dirt the very real fact I became aware of is that the road is quite a bit harder. Fortunately the hardness of the road was nothing more than an observance; I felt no fatigue from its additional impact. I powered on, but the woman ahead seemed to be powering ahead even more. She extended her gap on me even though I was running strong with the incentive of both predator (to catch her) and prey (to pull away from those behind me). She was pure predator as, to my astonishment, she truly looked like she was catching the orange jersey when I made the hairpin right turn and could see her ahead making the hairpin left turn. She must have used up what she had, though, as the orange jersey kicked away and left her behind on the uphill finish.

I had a sense that there was another guy in the chase pack I did not catch, but he may as well have been transparent up ahead, because the orange jersey was all I could see on the horizon. I thought I finished in 5th or 6th. I could only confirm awareness of three people finishing in front of me (DR, orange, woman). Turns out I did finish 5th, as some other guy was in the kicking battle between the orange jersey and the woman, but I did not see this other person with them on the final hill. I finished in 38:22. This time was not as fast as I would have liked, but was better than I expected I would run. I finished 2nd in the age group and got a piece of trophy-like hardware, which is better than the pair of cotton socks I was fearing. I was very pleased with the effort I gave the race from start to finish. I think I ran a smart race and the only person I saw run a smarter race was the winning woman, as she beat me at my own game. But if I have to keep my eyes on one person ahead of me an entire race, it may as well be a woman...

Durrr

Yes, I imagine you hated to see her finish ahead of you --- but loved to watch her do it (as the old saying goes). And if we were to not dwell on the difference between your 2011 and 2012 Chaptico Classic 10k times, I'd say you ran a more tactical and fiercely competitive race this year. You were most successful when dealing with Bs, as you ...

BURNED Burke!

BEAT Bennett!

BROKE Braam!

philibusters

I'd compare Joe's race based on his race report to my Twilight series 5K.  Decent time, though we both may have been hoping for slightly better, overall a smart race that was well paced, but we both got beat my more people than we wanted.  I don't think either Joe or I are in the racing shape we hoped we would be in at this point.

Durrr

Upon crushing Crofton, I had the impression that I’d just run the race of my life. I’d vanquished a few fierce foes and scored a massive PR all at once. It wasn’t until the day of the 2012 Chaptico Classic drew near, however, that it fully dawned on me that, despite my summer of superb training intensity, there was no guarantee that I’d be able to perform as well on the morning of August 25th in Chaptico as I did on the morning of June 9th in Crofton. To be certain, I did just about everything humanly possible to improve over the summer (while of course training smart enough/using restraint when needed to avoid injury or burnout). I racked up personally unprecedented mileage volume and consistency, eliminated breaks/intermissions from my VO2 Max interval sets, and saw my steady states/progressive tempos soar to new heights.

By all accounts, I should’ve been swifter come Chaptico than I was in Crofton, indeed --- except all along I’d remained begrudgingly aware of three key factors that might coalesce to make me slower rather than faster this time around:  a tougher course (the Crofton 10k course is not a breeze by any means, but it doesn’t present anything nearly so challenging as the 5th mile of the Chaptico course); weather less likely to be favorable (we were blessed with low 70s and low humidity in Crofton, but historically things are bound to be murky for the Chaptico “Hurricane Season” Classic); and a potential void of compelling competition (I’d waged war with Nikolas Korbelak and Rohan Meredith over the opening half of the Crofton Kiwanis 10k before leaving them behind, but with Edi “Turbo” Turco --- Chaptico Classic 10k champion both in 2010 and 2011 --- having moved back to Italy, I suspected that I might not have anyone in this race to push me for long). And speaking of competitive incentive, it was just mere minutes before the start of this race that I learned that they were going back to separate starts for the Chaptico Classic 5k and 10k, with the 10k going first (since 2009, the first year I did the 10k rather than the 5k, the 5k and 10k starts had been combined … and congested) and the 5k starting about 3 minutes later. I’d been counting on using all the high school cross country speedsters in the 5k as pacers to help me out to a quick start up until the 5k course U-turn on Rt. 234 (the 10k course U-turn being a ways further down the road). Now I’d need to depend on whatever rabbits might be in the 10k field --- if there would be any at all.

The abrupt boom of the starting cannon made me jump, but in a way conducive to a quick blast off. My thumb went reflexively to the start button of my Forerunner and I shot forward. I darted daringly down the hill, indeed, and within seconds it seemed that the only thing trailing me was my own wind. A quick look back as I hung a right onto Hurry Rd toward the Chaptico traffic circle confirmed this. I almost overtook the lead motorcycle cop before he could get going, and then as I rounded the circle and cut across to take up Rt. 234 south, I had to reflect on the surreal contrast between my present experience and every Chaptico Classic I’ve known before. Every year since my Chaptico debut in 2004 (5k from 2004 to 2008, 10k from 2009 onward), the opening half-mile of the race has always been a chaotic stampede. That is, me trying my best to keep up with a bunch of young guys tuning up for cross country season. This time it was, for the first time, just me.

No one was ready to concede defeat to me less than a mile into the race, however. In fact, an incredibly organized chase pack of 3-5 runners had formed less than 10 seconds back from me as I ascended the Rt. 234 hill running parallel (and in reverse direction) to the opening downhill of Zach Fowler Rd (I flinched when I heard the cannon boom again to commence the 5k). There was Danny Bennett and, most troubling to me, an unknown guy wearing a bright orange jersey who’d positioned himself aggressively at the start line (I probably assumed that Joe was tucked in among them, but brief peripheral glances could only reveal so much). They were all still running far too close behind for my peace of mind. Anyway, the biggest drawback to being bereft of those 5k pacers was that I noticed that opening mile hill more than ever before. In times past I’ve been so caught up in the group charge that I’ve barely registered the ascent, but this time it was all I noticed. It made my instantaneous pacing go straight from the sub-5:00/mi fury of the start to 6:00/mi plus. And, as looking back down from the top revealed, I wasn’t gaining any ground on my pursuers.

I was eager to drop my pace back down as soon as the elevation leveled out, but the improvement that came with flatter pavement was only so-so. Narrowly sub-6:00/mi was all my legs seemed up for. It was becoming disturbingly apparent that my brittle Breezily Brisk from two mornings prior, in which I struggled with a pace that was supposed to be, well, breezily, was not just a case of a bad morning but an indicator of how speedy I would be in the race. Thus that 5:40 opening mile came as the rudest of all awakenings. That was 13 seconds slower than my opening mile of the Crofton Kiwanis 10k but, even worse, that 5:40 put me just 4 seconds ahead of my opening mile split from Chaptico last year, when I finished in 36:50. I was supposed to be setting a new PR here --- not struggling to beat my time from a year prior! The sticky, sluggishness-inducing humidity in the air was certainly not helping my cause. Ah, and now it was raining, too (I believe that rain slows us down on an almost subconscious level, as instincts implore us to step more carefully over wet pavement). That sorry start was particularly devastating to my race strategy, as everything hinged on me making to the base of the big hill after mile 4 as ahead of pace as possible (I wanted to open under 5:30, make it to mile 2 narrowly sub-11:00, and then mile 3 under 16:40 so that with the aid of the long downhill I could make it to mile 4 just over 22:00 --- and therefore, even if my 5th mile split was close to 6:00, I could still achieve mile 5 right around 28:00-flat and thereby have a shot of making it to mile 6 by 33:40 and putting myself in range to finish sub-35:00 … but obviously it only took me a single mile to foil that whole grand scheme).

The 10k course U-turn (did I subtly suspect that it was a few meters further down the road than usual?) presented me with the opportunity to improve my competitive position. Get around it promptly and then surge so that the chase pack would be further behind me after they made the U-turn than they were before I made the U-turn. As always, I was here able to get a good gander on just what the heck was developing on the other side of the road. Basically it was the same sight as last year, with my hunters trailing by a fair amount but not yet out of the game --- just with the 2011 chase pack of Joe, Peter Off., and Shane being replaced by the 2012 trio (quartet? Quintet?) of orange jersey, Bennett, and a couple others maybe (Joe was chasing the chasers). And there was no Edi Turco pulling ahead of me this time. Now, if I’d started as frankly fast as intended, I probably would’ve come back by the 5k course U-turn (heading north on Rt. 234 back toward Chaptico) before the first 5k runners could reach it on their way out. But instead I reached that point just as Jay Hall was making his U-turn (I could see Jereamy Hall, my bitter rival from the track 5000m race, already a ways up ahead). Thus he was the first person I really ran with in the race, even though I promptly passed him despite his brief resistance. Thankfully I then found a decent pacer via a kid wearing Maryland flag patterned shorts. I’m not sure that he realized I was the 10k leader and not a 5k rival, however, and thus he was probably perplexed when I made no attempt to match his finishing kick and rather wished him well.

I don’t think it was raining anymore. Though my lack of speed (each mile had been progressively slower:  5:40, 5:48, and 5:51) was making me question the effectiveness of my summer intervals and tempos, I did have the sense that all that mileage was not in vain. For though sub-5:40 splits had eluded me, I was not at all succumbing to despairing fatigue at the point where the 10k course bypasses the 5k finish (that had been a dismal spot for me last year, as Turco was by then infinitely far ahead whilst Joe and Peter were bearing down on me hard right as the great hill loomed … I’d been tempted to rip off my bib number, cast myself on the ground, and cry “I yield! I yield!” ). The mileage at least seemed to be preserving me from suffering any terrible fatigue. So, making that left turn onto Hurry Rd allowed me a solid look back, and the view there was nothing like it had been the previous two years. Joe had not stealthily closed the gap on me this time, nor had anyone else. But I could still see that orange jersey back there. Meanwhile the 5k pacers and the long downhill had done me well, as I finally achieved a sub-5:40 split upon completing mile 4 --- and with that came a new, more positive perspective on the race.

At mile 3 I’d still believed the awful notion that I was only marginally outdoing my 2011 Chaptico performance. Yet upon reaching mile 4 in 22:55, I became pleasantly aware that I was just 10 seconds behind where I’d been at that corresponding point of the 2012 Crofton Kiwanis 10k. Now, on a fast, flat course that might’ve sparked the incentive to really go for it and try to break my 35:30 PR. Alas I knew what was poised to confront me:  a massive double hill followed by a twisty, muddy gravel road. That alone would make <35:30 nigh impossible --- but, if I could just hold close to 6:00/mi pace for the next mile and reach mile 5 by 29:00, I could remain just within range of breaking 36:00. I longed for sub-35:00, yes, but I’m not so arrogant yet as to be displeased by anything under 36:00. Even 35:59 sounded incredibly desirable considering my slow start to the race. Ah, but Memorial Hill was as agonizing as ever. I of course wanted to clear the top before my pursuers could even reach the bottom but lo! I still had a few steps to climb when I looked back down and beheld the flash of an orange jersey starting up the hill after me. Thus, after attaining the level ground at the top, I desperately tried to hasten my recovery so that I’d be far ahead by the time orange attained the summit and began his recovery. Except it took me all the way to the right turn onto the farm-crossing dirt road to get my pace back under 6:00/mi, so winded was I (I’d taken the hill fairly restrained, but still). At the turn I of course looked back to spy upon the progress of the orange jersey’s post-hill recovery, and saw that he was still coming. Yet local playwright R. da Silva, who happened to be standing among the volunteers gathered by the turn, reprimanded me for this, saying, “Don’t look back. This is your day.”

The fun walkers were marching along the dirt road in droves, and I would say that a mere minority of them were inclined to make way for me. In fact, many of them seemed surprised and perplexed that anyone was running to begin with. Eventually, after enough darting and weaving around them, I got fed up and resorted to yelling at them --- the traditional “on your left” (which seemed to baffle some of them further). All obstacles to my momentum aside, however, I still managed to clear mile 5 just under 29:00, despite slipping just over 6:00. And a downhill, a thinning out walker crowd, and then a final stretch on flat pavement were all on the way. Sub-36:00 was still a go! Meanwhile it’d been getting harder and harder to track that orange jersey (who turned out to be a very friendly and chatty guy named Bradley), but there was certainly no indication that he or any other runner was closing on me. Then, following the right turn onto Maddox Rd, I was back to pounding pavement; I’d soon passed the foremost of the fun walkers; and as the road curved slightly with the steeple of the old brick church looming ahead, I took my final look back --- and saw nothing behind me but an empty road.

Ever since mile 4 I’d been constantly reminding myself that I needed to achieve mile 6 by 34:40 to put myself in range of finishing sub-36:00. And what should the elapsed time have been at mile 5.5 but just over 31:40. A heroic final drive would hardly even be necessary, it now seemed. Yes, I was getting a bit gleeful. The yearning to become a champion of Chaptico --- a title I’d been denied thanks to Turco alone last summer --- had been my driving force all summer. And to think that, when it came down to it, no one was even going to challenge me for it. Plus my guaranteed sub-36:00 finish time would greatly enhance and legitimize the experience. Huzzah! I all but matched my opening mile of the race and reached mile 6 in 34:39 (thus exceptionally even 3-mile halves of 17:20 and 17:19). So I wouldn’t best my 35:30 PR from Crofton, but at least I could match the 35:55 that runner-up Rohan ran in that same race.

Except something was terribly wrong. From 2009 to 2011, I’ve always registered 6 miles on that 10k course when on Hurry Rd with the final left turn onto Zach Fowler just up ahead. Yet this time I was still on Maddox and yet to make that hairpin turn onto Hurry when I beeped for 6. The appropriate response would’ve been for me to start kicking like my life depended on it (running that final 0.27-mile bit at the pace of a 1:13 400 would’ve been my only chance for 35:59), but I think I was too tired and caught up in the imminent victory to yet register that something was truly awry with the course measurement (and how was it possible that there were still a bunch of 10k runners coming down the finishing uphill, all yet to reach mile 4?). It wasn’t until I saw the time tick over 35:55 --- when the finish chute still seemed so very distant and high up --- that I finally saw the situation for what it was. Thus the glory of that longed for moment of Chaptico chomping victory was largely overshadowed by a dismaying confusion over how something so certain as sub-36:00 had slipped away from me at the utter end. Well, whoever placed the 10k course U-turn cone this year is mostly to blame, but then again my very weak finishing kick (5:38/mi for the concluding bit) cannot be excused.

As time passes, I think that my 36:10 10k result will seem more and more like an arbitrary number --- relative to what my current fitness was and racing conditions were in Chaptico on August 25th, 2012 --- while my finishing spot, 1, will endure as a definitive mark of my success in this race.

You were 40 seconds slower between Crofton and Chaptico this year. I was 51 seconds slower. I'd say you did all right. As much as they may have extended the course length, it certainly wouldn't have given you 40 seconds and it's debatable whether it would have given you 11 seconds for a more convenient time. I agree that walking away with 1st place is the most important thing. You already have a faster PR and may well set an even faster PR in the future, so your evidence of 1st place will be the more tangible takeaway.

I don't know how you could approach Chaptico with any notion that your first mile should be comparable to the first mile of Crofton. Their topography could not be more different. I never would have thought you hoped to be on similar pace so early in the race.

philibusters

Joe, DR needs to teach you and I how to train better.  Over the long haul, DR has been the most consistent trainer.  He is also the only one of us who has largely managed to avoid pleateaus in the past 3 years.   In return we could teach him how to race (albeit, you are quite a bit better at me than executing race plans), I can usually come with a solid realistic race plan (that accounts for things like weather, course topography, and competition), but its 50/50 if I'll follow it or go out way too hard.

philibusters

Actually reading DR's race report, he handled the first mile okay.  Perhaps not as fast as he would like, but it was pretty well paced.  I was expecting DR to see DR drop a 5:35 like he did at Crofton on Chaptico's hilly first mile which would have been a mistake and that was what I was referring to, but to his credit, DR avoided that mistake.

Durrr

Ah, but my opening mile at Crofton was 5:27, which is why 5:40 seemed so alarmingly slow for my first mile at Chaptico. Yet I can almost guarantee that my Chaptico opener would've been notably fast if I'd had the 5k runners with me.

Like in previous years miles 2 and 3, despite being more favorable than mile 1, were both slower for you than that difficult opening mile. And in many years I've been able to close the gap on you during those miles because of your fade. You ran a great race, but it does make me wonder if you'd gain a couple of seconds by starting a bit more slowly, especially on a course with such an obstacle in the first mile. But starting like that always seems to play into your hand, as it puts you ahead of the bulls and racing for your life.

Durrr

It was just a couple months ago that Joe and Phil had their moment of fame, being emblazoned upon the front page of the community section of The Enterprise. Well today it was my turn! Alas I --- similarly to Phil being portrayed as someone who just started running in 2009 --- was a bit misrepresented in the article. I informed the reporter that I have indeed been participating in the Chaptico Classic every year since 2004, but I suppose I failed to specify that I didn't switch to the 10k until 2009. The article, rather, contends that I've run the 10k every year since 2004, and that this race victory was thus the successful culmination of a quest that began eight years ago. To be honest, I'm not sure that I could've even run a complete 10k, let alone vie to win one, back in 2004. At that time a 5k felt like a huge distance for me.

MTA:  what a jip. This is all they posted online.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In contrast, I generally consider placement of little meaning or import compared to time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.