The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

I do believe at Chaptico that Katie's dad rode a bike to encourage her. Although I never almost tripped over the bike, it was frequently within a few feet of me and it seemed like a bit of a nuisance on a course with so many people all trying to run in the one shoulder. The portion of the course from the 5k-10k rejoin to the 5k finish was really busy and didn't need the bike in its way. My mom used to ride her bike a few times with me when I ran years ago, but I don't even think I'd want somebody riding a bike near me for encouragement while I'm actually racing.

Durrr

Liza concurs:

> From: shortbrownperson@juno.com
      > Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:07:27 +0000
      > To: allsop316@hotmail.com
      > Subject: RE: LPR10 comments for paper
      >
      > Okay, as long as she wasn't getting in the way. I just don't get why some people need Sherpas. It's one thing to have an unobtrusive lead cyclist clearing a path for you, but I could never race with someone alongside me, giving encouragement or coaching tips or whatever. I'd go nuts and maybe throttle them.

By the way, I scoured results and it turns out that I'm not the only one who's run all 5 editions of the LPR10. Tami Graf has matched me year for year. John Piggott, Perry, and Brian Forsgren have appeared 4 out of 5 times.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Katie's dad was out on the metric course too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You're making it harder for Piggott to earn his payday every year.

I give Liza credit for adhering to race rules. After the race a lady walked by her and said hello. They knew each other and it was a very friendly exchange. The lady thanked Liza for organizing a great race and said, FYI, I ran using so-and-so's bib number since they couldn't make it, so just remove her from the results. Liza didn't get outright angry, but said and reiterated in no less than 5 ways to never ever do that for a race. I thought it was funny that in this one brief exchange with an old friend Liza turned pure emotionless administrator when the potential race infraction became the topic of conversation.

Durrr

Though Perry left his finishing place somewhat ambiguous in his log entry, by David Phipps' own admission on Facebook it's not clear that Perry did indeed phinish Phipps and ... QUELL QUIET WATERS to win the Key School 10k. Plus it looks like he finished within a second of Joe's 10k PR at Crofton.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Even better, it appears that my chip didn't register at the start, so my net time should be about 2.7sec faster.

Durrr

So you're saying that you time should be 2.7 seconds faster in the net results, but that it won't be since you chip didn't register at the start?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I may not know til they publish whether they adjust it not -- they're aware of it. I left it up to them to decide whether to make a result change. Obviously the problem with changing it is estimating my correct offset -- but I'm comfortable using the offset for David Phipps, because mine should be really similar to his. (I've seen the unofficial results.)

Durrr

Did David win? He was 2OA last year, right?

And can you (Perry) explain what this is all about?

Brandon Demers
                    Still not sure what I just witnessed! What a day. Props to our guys for an absolutely stellar effort and some hardware, and to to a lot of young ladies for dealing with a lot of adversity. Additionally shaving the beard because everything I touch now breaks. Car. iPod. SMAC cross country races. Well try again Friday ladies. Those that vandalized and altered the course will get their karma bomb.
                    Like ·  · 12 hours ago near Loveville · 

Demers was there as the assisstant XC coach for Leonardtown HS.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

David came in 3rd, at about 16:40. I think he was in the 16:30s last year, so he was disappointed about that.

My guess is Justin Cerrito of NP won, but I don't know the other lead kids well enough to identify them.

The big surprise was Trent, who came in 4th, maybe under 16:50, with a big (30+sec) PR.

The varsity girls race was a disaster. Someone took some tape down, and they missed a turn, and got lost. When I found them in the woods, I helped make sure they got going on the right course -- but the field presumably got flipped upside down when they u-turned somewhere on the wrong trail and came back. The NP girl who had been leading was having an emotional meltdown, and refused to continue, and three of her teammates had stayed behind with her. The lead NP girl got a ride back on the gator, and the other three NP girls jogged out to the field (I told them they have to go out that way to finish OR to get back to the start), and then skipped the rest of the course.

They're going to run the varsity girls race over tomorrow.

People who had walkie-talkies (spotters and some coaches) knew when it went bad, and Blaine & I had been standing close to a spotter and heard it over her walkie-talkie, but I'm told that spectators and coaches at the finish line had no idea -- and so they were all mystified when no girls had come in to the finish by 22+ minutes.

The JV race (boys + girls together) was last, and Blaine said (after that debacle) his JV boys were excited to race to beat all the varsity girls times. Smile

Durrr

Yikes, I'll definitely have to start being more wary of Trent. And what about Jereamy Hall? If he ran 17:20 on the track back in August, then he should be close to sub-17:00 by now.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Probably only the top 4 boys were sub-17 at Oak Ridge (but you meant on the track, anyway, I think). Jereamy was about 16th -- no idea of time. His brother (Jett?) was about 33rd, I think.

Based on Trent's appearances over the summer I am not surprised. He was poised to do something like this. I credit his education and dedication. I believe he went to a camp and came back with a pretty good understanding of how to modulate hard/easy days and 8/4 mile doubles. If he took good principles like that and found himself motivated, then it only makes sense he'd do a lot better than other runners in SMAC who probably didn't have as many pieces of the puzzle working for them. Plus he weighed almost nothing, so appeared to be one of the few other runners in SMAC who could train more without as much risk for impact injuries.

Durrr

Very solid marathon debut for Katie Ogden.

324 Katie Ogden Owings F/22 3:07:35 3:07:38 7:09 Marathon  

I fear, however, that Jeff Thomas is probably devastated right now.

7072 Jeff Thomas Leonardtown M/41 3:58:47 3:59:52 9:06 Marathon  

His two previous marathons were both a bit under 4:00, and yet he's repeatedly insisted that he knows he's truly faster than that. I believe he was hoping to break 3:30:00 this time, and his pre-race perspective was highly optimistic --- but then today he ran what might be his slowest marathon time yet.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I bet Katie is disappointed too then, b/c she & Josh wanted to break 3, and their metric results looked very good for that (to me).

I haven't been able to find online results yet. Are you getting those off active.com or off the MCM website?

Caitlyn beat me in, but I am pretty sure I will have net-nipped her.

But the chip time won't help me catch Allison - she ran about 3:28, I think. That's pretty impressive. She only got a definite bib in the last two days (she was going to spectate), and she said her longest run was the run in the heat with Crystal and I a month or two back, where she & Crystal walked it in after about 11 or 12 miles, due to the pounding sun.