The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re: Chaptico site photos #79

Did the Halls and Trent Herzog go jog through the 10K course?

re: photo#95

What was the pale blue SpiderHallFarm truck selling?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Yes, it appears that they went for quite a cool down (as did Paul Serra ... after finishing the 5k, he took over Faith stroller pushing duties for Kara for the remainder of the 10k course). Ah, and the Spider Hall Farm truck was loaded with free ice cream. The line for it after the race was so long, though, that all those people waiting looked like schmucks to me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fortunately even with the hills in the tri course, all my mile splits are faster than all of DR's from his fast long run today.

MTA: As DR observes, this was not actually so. Darn.

Durrr

Not a single one of my miles matched your opening 5k mile, true, but my fiercely fast finishing finale (5:41) was on par with the rest!

I am a tad peeved that I didn't manage to crack 7:00/mi for my 70-mile week.

9/8/2013 – 9/14/2013: 70.0 mi 8:09:23 7:00 / mi
          philibusters

Not a single one of my miles matched your opening 5k mile, true, but my fiercely fast finishing finale (5:41) was on par with the rest!

9/8/2013 – 9/14/2013: 70.0 mi 8:09:23 7:00 / mi

That is why I am glad you do your hard run on the last day.  If you did an easy run as your last day you would go in knowing exactly what you needed to hit 6:59 and hit it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But isn't that just an artifact of your week splitting the weekend, and you doing a long run on Sunday one weekend, then Saturday the next weekend?

This is the flaw with starting the week on Sunday...

Durrr

Wow, a 12-year-old really won the Pet Day 5k with a time of 16:58? That's kind of scary. Meanwhile I couldn't help but take note of the kid who finished in 32nd place:

32    Brandon Stark                                            70    15   M       5 11-15               25:52.0      8:19/M
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, a 12-year-old really won the Pet Day 5k with a time of 16:58?

What? That sounds unlikely. Off to look at results.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's the Aris kids. They've gotten fast. But they were 14 in the last year's Pet Day results, and 12 in Pi results 2 years ago. That makes it very likely they were 15 this year.

But they are 12 in the club records. I'm gonna try to figure out how to contact their family and ask.

Durrr

What the ... Katie but no Brandon today? The Metric Marathon results were supposed to be my guide to gauging by how much Demers may or may not have improved since last year --- but now I have little clue about what precisely I'm up against next week!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah; I forgot to ask where he was. My guess is busy with cross-country.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Metric 2013

Unseasonably warm weather boded well for me competitively, if not for my time goal. Most of my competitors seem to fade in heat. Usually I'm shivering at the start of this, in arm warmers or long sleeves, but it was 60s and rising, and I was completely comfortable in shorts & short sleeves. I think it rose into the mid-80s during the race.

Got off to a slightly slower start than I wanted, but was in a large and entertaining pack of runners, many known to me, and I wanted to stay with them and enjoy that experience. Eventually I moved off the front with the front runner of the pack (Angus) as he pulled away. He essentially pulled me through 2/3 of the race, setting me up to catch Katie.

I've only beaten Katie once, at Dog Days cross-country race c. two months ago that went so well for me competitively (August heat working for me, probably).

I could see Katie and another guy (Martin) the entire race, and when I finally left the entire pack behind me, I was working up to catch the guy between us, and then her & the other guy. I almost caught the guy in-between at the last water station, and coming out of it, he was gone; I don't know if he quit or just came through slowly behind me. I slid in behind her and Martin through the hills, and then pulled out, and Martin went with me. He was young, and kicked away at that aforementioned cross-country race, so I expected him to outkick me, but he didn't. He looked around to check on competition, and let me pull away from him.

I ran it in, trying to push and worrying if he'd kick and come up fast past me, but that didn't happen.

I could feel myself fading in the latter miles, so I clearly deduce that everyone around me was fading as well.

I thought I missed both my goals (A=PR distance, B=PR current version of the course), but when I logged this I discovered that I did make the B goal.

Drank probably ten cups of coca cola afterward, and had a big PB&J (that a really nice volunteer made for me). Eventually jogged back out a couple miles to come in with Debbie. She missed the cut-off, but results are up already and they included her time, so that was nice. Then it was the bitter end, so helped toss tables & chairs into the trucks, before heading out.

Note: I never saw David Phipps before or during the race, so by a mile in or so, I deduced he wasn't there. That puts me in a strong position ahead of him in the series rankings: he has to beat me at the 5-miler and the 15K to win or tie, and if I can come in 2nd to him at either then we're tied.

Durrr

You should have an interesting rematch with Katie come Sunday (it's practically impossible to go astray on the LPR10 course ... unless maybe she thinks you're supposed to turn left onto Thomas Rd when coming back off the island --- as one would in the marathon).

Now that Joe has burst back onto the scene with a strongly sub-20:00 5k (despite heat and high hills), his battle with Phil (who, to his credit, has remained remarkably consistent with mileage) at LPR10 will be one to watch.

Nice race, Perry. Your progression through mile 8 was probably done without exerting as much energy as the others you were catching. It's a good way to run.

I ran okay on Saturday, but mostly benefited from lack of competition. I think my St. Mary's River State Park running from a couple of weeks ago was the big workout that made the hills more tolerable. After a weekend of eating and boozing, though, I'll be lucky if I'm in as good of shape this coming weekend as I was last weekend.

philibusters

I ran the 10 miler in one hour ten minutes and 21 seconds.  I'd give myself a C.  It was not a disaster, but I went in really feeling I had a sub 69 in me meaning I basically ran two minutes slower than I thought I was.  Still it is good to get a realistic assessment of where I am at.  I have not done a speed workout since August and I don't have much speed and even though I am increasing my mileage I don't really have the muscular endurance in my legs that I associate with being in good running shape.  In terms of the marathon this bodes very bad. I was hoping to go sub 3:20 with secret ambitions of running in the 3:16 or so range.  It very well may be that 3:26 or 3:27 is more accurate prediction.  Its not so much my 10 mile time I worried about, its how I ran that time.  Basically my legs got tired in the second half of the race which means I will have huge problems at the marathon because one of the keys to the marathon is how well do your legs run when they already have 16 or 17 miles of racing on them.