The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

Diesel Power

I’m very happy Phil decided to go out at a 6:30 pace. The friendly-competitive nature of the race definitely helped my overall performance… if I was content to go out in 7:05 – 7:10 as originally planned, then Phil and DR would have been too far out of reach for me even to grasp at. Being that I went out in 6:45, I was still able to grasp for at least the first three miles at DR and Phil. While I never gained any ground on DR during this time, he wasn’t blowing me away either. However, I picked up enough ground so that I was within 8-10 seconds of Phil at some point, but never any closer. Somewhere before the turns prior to the Rte. 5 merge, he began pulling away once again. At this time, with 1.25 miles remaining, I reluctantly acknowledged that Phil had me beat on this day. However, something happened prior to taking the Rte 5 hill. First, my Forerunner hit the 5 mile chime at 34:11, which is 1:09 faster than my 5-mile race PR (ran on two occasions last year). Second, a runner who passed Phil and I early quickly began to fade as he ascended the hill. Quick math suggested that I still had a chance at breaking 43 minutes, surpassing my goal time by two minutes and shattering my 10K PR by four minutes. Additionally, I had a new target acquired. He was vanquished before the top of the hill, which tired me out more than I was expecting. Regardless, 42:49 is a pretty decent confidence-booster heading into the Half Marathon in a couple of weeks. I kind of wish DR or Phil would be participating in the Half. It’s one thing to pick someone or a group ahead of you and aim to pick them off, but it’s completely different if it’s someone you know (especially if you respect their ability). That’s the only thing I’m kind of apprehensive about going into the next race… will I be able to hold that pace if I don’t have someone to chase? On that note… Phil: If you were to run the Half in two weeks, what kind of goal do you think you would set? What do you think you would try to go out in over the first few miles? I think 7:00 overall pace would be reaching way too far… however, I think a 7:15 overall pace would get me to 1:35. (Average pace on the race results was listed as 6:54 for the 10K, but was actually about 6:47 over 6.27 miles, per the Forerunner). Thoughts?
    Durrr

Joe, it makes my heart soar to read about you once again running a competitive, strategy based race after your long winter of running discontent. For you spring has now spRUNg! And I assume Runner X was Emily's coworker's husband. And didn't you remember the simultaneous 5k and 10k race starts from last year? Perhaps you were thinking of Chaptico. I didn't really intend to write a race report, since everyone who reads this forum was there (with the possible exception of Adubb), but Phil and Joe have inspired me to share tidbits of my perspective on the Hospice 10k. First I should get all my excuses out of the way. I flipped through my running log after the race, and realized that, since the marathon six weeks ago, I'd been running an average of 2.5 times a week! And the last time I accomplished five days of running in one week was during the week of February 8-14 (the climax of pre-taper marathon training). Trust me, I didn't miss out on all that running by choice; to the contrary, I desperately wanted to run on many of those lost days. But the pain was sometimes insurmountable (due to the issues I've been very vague about), and healing days were mandatory. Thus I had to cut my training down to the bone, running only what was most essential --- making each run I could manage count for as much as possible. For instance, two weeks ago I did a heavy interval workout on Monday, a long run/Fartlek combo on Friday, and nothing else. They were great workouts, but they couldn't make up for all that was lost in between. I've come to realize that I only race my best after consistently running an average of five days a week over an extended period of time. So I approached the race on Saturday with only a handful of isolated good workouts behind me. It was almost like I was conducting an experiment on mind over matter: how much can sheer determination compensate for lack of conditioning? I was really set on breaking 41:00. My enviable position right along the starting line was nabbed when a pair of uncompetitive high school JV-type girls pushed past after their spectating father or whoever barked, "Get up front so I can take your picture!" to them. Still, when the moment of release came I shot ahead of everyone, 5k runners included, alongside Rick Braam. I even held onto that grand lead for most of the drive leading to Hollywood Rd. It was truly awesome, though, when the thundering 5k stampede slowly surpassed me on the left, roaring like a receding ocean wave. It seemed the earth itself shook under so many fierce footfalls. "Have fun DR!" called Perry as the ranks of runners divided sharply to the left and right. Though there were some strong crosswinds on Hollywood Rd, I kept the pace sub-6:30/mi for most of the first mile. Demoralization came early, however, when a pack of guys --- all of whom appeared to be in our age group --- flew by me like I was barely moving. Then as I neared the turnoff for Cedar Lane Rd, another youngerish fellow (the tall guy in the green shirt with glasses) dared to pass me, too. That was right around where I hit mile two in 13:30, and it was quite daunting to think that I was only a third of the way through the race. My pace didn't improve much over the next mile. I was feeling very weak and feeble, as though I were just wading sleepily through the course rather than racing it. That might have had something to do with the fact that, though my night's slumber had begun well on Friday night, I was not at all able to get back to sleep after abruptly awaking shortly after 3 a.m. on Saturday morning (staying out until 2 a.m. on Wednesday night had some lingering effects, too). And though some people commented positively on the weather, to me the temperature was practically sweltering. Maybe it had more to do with the bright sunshine that beat down on those rolling hills. But I was painfully parched by the time I reached that first water station ... that was on the wrong side of the road. Anyways, I completed the first 5k in just under 21:00, indicating I'd have to run the second 5k sub-20:00 in order to break 41:00. So that was a lost cause. Now, though the recent marathon was a glaring exception, it's long been my claim to fame that I don't let anyone pass me in the second half of a race. And Saturday was no exception. I passed back the tall guy with the green shirt and glasses, possibly another guy in a white shirt, and then, as I mustered up the hill to the Cedar Lane Rd/Blacksmith Rd (I think?) divide, I finally vanquished a guy I'd been trying to keep in sight for most the race --- a hoary old fellow with shaggy gray hair and beard (the one in the red mesh jersey). He literally moaned in anguish as I passed him. But it wasn't so much that I was picking up the pace; I was more or less maintaining while my competitors were burning out. Ah, and as I trundled down the hill towards the turnoff for Rt. 5, I beheld that Paul Serra --- who'd been way ahead for most the race --- was now within striking distance. I think my time at 5.25 miles was around 34:30, indicating that I might just barely break 41:00 if I could run the final mile of the race in 6:00 flat. But alas there was that hill. I made no effort to take it hard, and intentionally slowed down to an 8:00/mi + pace going up. I knew that charging up the hill would only leave me huffing and puffing and having to waste time recovering in the race's crucial final segment. I was still gaining on Paul, however, and immediately after turning onto College Circle I made my move, surging past him. "Alright, David!" he exclaimed in encouragement. I appreciated it. Back on Hollywood Rd, I was dismayed to see how many fun walkers were already clogging the road. Catastrophe was narrowly avoided on the government complex drive when a dog veered away from its owner --- causing its leash to become a veritable trip wire right in my path! I profanely expressed my discontent with this, but then hurriedly apologized for being so severe about it. I'd known breaking 41:00 wasn't going to happen, but it seemed assured that setting a new, sub-41:45 10k PR was locked in, good to go. Well somehow the seconds added up preternaturally fast --- as though some nefarious necromancer had pitted a pox to accelerate time itself but not my speed of movement --- and I had no one to chase after other than lethargic 5k jog-walkers (j'wogklers?). Thus I narrowly missed the mark, bringing it home in 41:52 (6:45/mi). I was marginally satisfied with that time for about two seconds --- until I looked back and saw ... Phil! I'd never once cast a glance back over my shoulder during the race (I think doing that gives a psychological advantage to whoever is behind you, as it suggests you're running scared), so I'd really had no idea what was going on to my rear. Based on what I'd been reading on this forum, it was my frank prediction that Rick would finish around 43:45 and that Phil would come in between there and 45:00. Therefore I figured that, even if my performance was underwhelming, I'd still have at least a one-minute cushion between my finish and either of theirs. But there was Phil, coming in a mere 21 seconds later. And then Rick just 36 seconds after that. I need to start racing with a mirror hat like this:
      Durrr

Wow, I spent hours writing the above. Obviously I began writing before Rick posted his report at 10:43 a.m., and it's now 1:01 p.m.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, I don't look back either, but I saw that the guy who won Boston (M something? I forget his name) this morning looked back a lot after he broke away. I also saw Kara checking on both sides of her a lot, over those many miles when she was leading the women's pack.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

I looked back after the first 5K of the race and saw/heard nobody. I didn't look back after that, even to check on the status of the guy in the white shirt I would later pass (referenced by DR, as well). DR - Do you use any products for chaffing prevention? If not, then perhaps you should look into something. Additionally, what kind of shorts do you run in? I recall seeing you run in some kind of mesh Nike shorts before, which might be exacerbating things. I feel as though this conversation has been had before, but I really don't feel like looking back at past posts.
            Durrr

I've used many creams and ointments and body powders to sooth and heal the afflicted area, but unfortunately none of those things eliminate the source of the problem --- which is actually hair-related. I don't want to get too graphic here on the forum, but imagine trying to run with prickly pine cones (or even cactus-like prickly pears) stuffed down your underwear. Or think of that scene in the Prefontaine movie(s) where he runs a hard race only to take off his shoe and reveal a bloody foot. In my case after some long runs, the bleeding happens elsewhere. And though routine shaving offers a temporary hair fix, I get razor burn from that. I'm really starting to contemplate laser hair removal, though there are pros and cons to that. Sorry if this post made anyone uncomfortable.
              Durrr

By the way Rick, the Race Time Predictor on this forum predicts that a 42:49 10k should lead to a half marathon in 1:34:24 (7:13/mi). Joe's 46:30 would lead to 1:42:32 (7:50/mi).

Diesel Power

In my opinion, chaffing = not a big deal, at least in terms of conversation. It sounds like you have a major issue you’re dealing with. It probably wouldn’t be a terrible idea to at least get a price quote. With the recession and all, I’m sure many plastic surgeons are offering discounts or financing plans. A major con, aside from potential recovery time, would be the extra bill to pay during a recession. You may be well on your way in researching all of this, though.
                  Durrr

Laser hair-removal is allegedly painless nowadays. I hear it's just a fine-tuned laser light that targets dark, hair-producing pigmentation (or follicles?) while not affecting the rest of the epidermis it passes over. Drawbacks are that it requires several treatments spread out over a several month period and is indeed probably pricey.
                    philibusters

Is your situation at least getting better DR or is this a permanent thing.
                        I think that is good news if it's hair-related, because I was worried it might be underwear-related. I say this specifically because I believe it's possible with either different clothing texture or different clothing design that you could alleviate most of your problems (unless the problem is around back, in which case polyester g-strings may be available at Books). I'm now more curious than ever of the specific region, which you of course do not need to tell us, but I'm rather sure none of us would be disturbed by. I've chaffed now and again in those areas and I've resolved to believe that it's almost always my underwear causing the problem and not my hair or my skin. I can only think of two places down there where clothing would have a difficult time providing a solution and I am not totally ready believe that you've purchased 10 different types of underwear in pursuit of solving this problem. I am also [ignorantly] prepared to give an argument for why shaving is the improper solution and only making matters worse. As for lazer removal, I have personally felt more pain from skin-on-skin contact than any hair-on-skin contact. I would like to discuss this more with you. ... Chi-chi chia! There, I made a joke. Now we can move forward.
                        philibusters

To answer Ricks questions from a few posts back, I am not sure what I would go for in a half marathon. I felt like I have been training for a 10k, not so much a half marathon. From my experience with longer races there is more time to adjust. For example if you fall behind by 45 seconds in a 5k after 1 mile, you have almost no chance to comeback unless the person you are racing against drops off significantly, in a 10k its hard to comeback from a huge deficit, but as Joe proved, if you run strong for four miles and they start weakening, you can gradually do it. In a 13 mile race, 1 minute deficits can be overcome simply by maintaining pace. I think I actually prefer shorter races, the 10k seemed like a good distance because you can race without being overly focused a particular pace. I think the 7:15 pace you mentioned is a good pace to go out in. One strategy may be to push it a little on miles 4-7 so you have a little bit of room for error on the second half. If you really have good discipline though (I don't) then it makes sense to try to run 13 7:15's as you probably conserve energy best by running it even.

Diesel Power

Joe / Alden – Considering I left the bar at about 1:15am and you two (along with Billy and Tiffany) were still going strong, I’d be very interested in hearing how the 6K went bright and early Sunday morning.
                            Durrr

I assumed Gatorade was in that syringe shot Joe was pictured taking.
                              Durrr

So there was a CBRC 8k at Greenwell on Sunday? I had no clue about that when I showed up there to kayak in the afternoon. The event organizers certainly cleaned up well --- there was no evidence whatsoever that a race (well, a pseudo-race) had taken place there just several hours before.