The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

DR, will have to schedule that website party featuring Conan movies.
    Durrr

Joe, your lack or progress with updating race results on the website signifies everything that's wrong with the paper product industry today. So that you don't have to actually look up anything online, here's all the information you need: Towson Turkey Trot 5k, 11/22/07 68 RICK SCHAFFER M 24 COCKEYSVILLE MD 22:07 M1929 19 210 VALERIE GRAPE F 24 PARKVILLE MD 26:26 F1929 18 Thanksgiving Prediction 2007 Timed 5K, 11/17/07, St. Mary’s City 3 David Raley Mechanicsville MD 24 1 M 20-29 19:27* 6:15/M 46 Joe Dowgiallo Tall Timbers MD 24 3 M 20-29 27:08* 8:43/M *it bears reckoning that this course was actually 3.23 miles long.
      Durrr

Yesterday I got JINGLED—jingled at the Jingle Bell 5k! The earlier than usual race time called for a Saturday reveille shortly after 6 a.m., and I awoke to the pitter patter of dismal drizzle against my window. It was a dark and dreary morning worthy of a Victorian London shilling shocker, indeed. But the event would go on regardless, so I went through the hallowed preparations post haste. Although I arrived at the Marine Museum just before 7:40 a.m., the parking lot proper had already exceeded its max capacity, and therefore I had to seek harbor behind the medical center. A bustlingly busy race day registration/packet pickup zone had been erected under museum’s deck pavilion, and after filling out my data with shivering-shaking fingers, I was directed to the chip timer station. I thought they’d be like buttons you pin to your shoe, but instead they were more akin to the contraptions department stores attach to clothing merchandise so as to alert them when shoplifters attempt to abscond from the store with captured cargo in tow. And they wrapped around the ankle via Velcro. After fighting through the crowds in the museum’s men’s room (scores, nay, hundreds of people were milling about hither and slither everywhere), I ran into Perry and Crystal upon exiting the building. Then I discovered good sir Alden standing expectantly near a waterlogged storm grate. It was a grand reunion about three moons in the making, and I took the liberty of hiding my gym bag ‘n’ water jug under his close-at-hand car. Soon we espied a hardy, burly-looking fellow wearing an Annapolis 10-Miler windbreaker by way of 1999 that looked just a tad too tight on him, and I was reminded of Joe. Wait, it was Joe! For the time being, his squire was confined to the shelter of Dora the Explora. The hour was growing late, so I took off on a hasty warm up down the island with Perry. We turned around just before the scarcely noticeable bridge that initiates the true island and doubled back to the vicinity of the museum just in time for the Rudolph Romp kick off. My niece didn’t know what the hell was going on, but she loved all the cheers from the crowd and she almost (sort of) completed the 10-foot race, receiving a second-place red ribbon (however, I’ve been told that there was only one other baby in that heat). The romping continued age division by age division, culminating in a 100-yard dash for 10-year-olds that even I probably would’ve been hard-pressed to win. Then along came Santa Claus, heralding the start of THE race. There were MASSES of participants—over 400, they claimed. Yet despite those formidable figures, the start line was still only about as wide as the shoulder spans of 10-12 men. Dozens of people—including myself—rushed for a competitive spot, and the front lines were soon choked by frenzied bottlenecking. Then that jackass Santa came over a’ ho-ho-ho’n, barking, “Keep moving back! Make room for more runners!” Well I defied jolly old St. Nick and held my ground. But so did everyone else, and the narrow space only got more congested. And get this: mere moments before the start, some obnoxious, acne-faced high school pipsqueak standing behind me rudely begged my attention and, with a sweeping gesture, said, "Hey, when we start, make sure you move out [of the way]." He then turned back to a female companion of similar diminutive size, who gasped and giggled, "What did you say to him??" Incredulous, I glared at him coldly and then, under my breath, seethed, "We’ll see about that." I do not abide trash talkers. But damn, for it being a holiday, charitable fun run, there was certainly an aggressive atmosphere! None of that preliminary hostility, however, compared to the hoof-pounding, breakneck intensity that ensued succinctly with the start of the race. It was a stampede for the ages, and the two or three elementary school children who’d weaseled their way up to the front line were very likely trampled. I was buffeted from all angles by carelessly careening chargers, and someone even shoved me semi-violently from behind for no apparent reason (could it have been the trash talker?!). Of course, as always happens on this course, some front runners attempted to turn left onto the museum entrance road, and only a last second scream of "STRAIGHT!"—uttered by some unidentified cartographer among the ranks—stopped them from going astray. Turning onto the Solomons Island main road after ‘rounding the medical center, I realized just how miserable this race was going to feel. Yes, it may have been 20 degrees warmer than last year, and the rain may have stopped, but the low-hanging skies looked like they could burst again at any moment, and a cold, clammy dampness permeated the air—the kind that creeps right under the skin and chills one’s very bones. And puddles were everywhere. Splish! SPLASH!!! Stump—the incumbent Jingle Bell champion three years running—and a few other fast fiends had shot irrevocably ahead, leaving me tied for seventh with, you guessed it, the trash-talking pipsqueak. We were moving at a rapid pace, to be sure. When the one-mile mark cone came into view ( a couple hundred yards off), I looked down and was shocked to see that my watch was still ticking in the 4:00s. I passed that cone in 5:41, somewhat ahead of my intended pace. Someone should have warned me that the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long (and I had burned so very brightly). Well, things started falling apart around then. I soon found myself fighting to stay among the top 15 runners, and I lost track of the smart-mouthed runt. As the course branched off onto the Solomons Island back road, another audacious kid addressed me, noticing that I had a watch. "What pace are running, man?" "Uh ... I just did 5:41 ... I’m trying to [maintain] 5:50." "Cool." And then he shot ahead of me! Whilst self-motivating with my claim to fame that I never let anyone pass me after the midpoint of a 5k, I was defied by some grim fellow who stole past me right before the Tiki Bar. And then, to my further dismay, I hit two miles in 11:53, just one second faster than my Step-by-Step two-mile split and indicative of a sloppy 6:12 second mile. It was high time to BANK time. Me and the aforementioned foe passed each other back and forth a couple more times, but I established a permanent lead by the time I reached Our Lady Star of the Sea. Unfortunately, no one in front was within reasonable striking distance (Victor P. and Travis P. had gotten waaay ahead), so I was essentially running solo for the rest of the affair. Now, my major goal had been to break or hit 18:30, so the real key was to reach the three-mile mark by no slower than 17:50. Approaching the museum road turn, I thought with delirious elation that I was ahead of schedule, as my watch had just begun ticking into the 17:00s. But alas I’d made a fatal miscalculation! Somehow I’d gotten it into my head that the three-mile marker would be standing erect immediately after the turn off, but no—there were a good fifty yards yet to go. I ran three miles in 17:56 (thus a 6:03 third mile), leaving me less than thirty-five seconds for that damn final two-hundred. Oh, I kicked, I flew, I blasted off, but it just wasn’t enough (having absolutely no competition was a drag, too). I crossed that 5k finish line at 18:32—so close yet so far way from my goal. But hey, it’s a 12 second improvement over my Step-by-Step time, so I’ll take it! My comrades in strides had extraordinary races—for the most part. Perry pierced the 21-minute threshold whilst Crystal got her time down into the 23:00s, so PRs for both of them. After that, it was all about the race for the ages: Joe vs. Alden! Back in 1999-2000—Joe’s era of running glory—most race commentators would have scoffed and guffawed at the notion of Alden vanquishing Joe in a fair and square 5k. But times have changed, and while Joe ran on merely two occasions in the three weeks leading up to Jingle Bell, Alden trained diligently. Still, I gave Joe the benefit of a doubt that he’d have enough natural ability and superior racing experience to edge Alden out regardless. Wrong! As the finish clocked struck 26:00, I looked up and cheered at the approach of the winner—Alden! He brought it home in 26:27, a lifetime PR (and the chip time will surely be lower). Now, I assumed that Joe would at least finish on the heels of Alden’s arrival, but the clock kept tick-tocking with no sign of him. Finally, just when I was preparing to send forth the rescue St. Bernard’s with mini-barrels of hot chocolate attached to their collars, Joe materialized and put an end to the race in 28:11 (not his slowest 2007 5k time or even his second slowest). But hey, he finished with dignity, and still beat dozens upon dozens of people (mostly walkers). Also to Alden’s credit, he ran the race in non-running shoes—one of which was split wide open along the side. I did not get my hopes up for the awards ceremony, what having finished somewhere between 12th and 15th overall behind numerous dudes who looked like age group (men 19-29) rivals. Poised to relive the suspenseful disappointment I suffered at Chaptico this year, I listened with rapt dread as they announced first and second place awards for guys who were not me. I was just about to hang my head in shame and turn away when the announcer said, “And in third place for the men’s 19-29 group ... David ... Raley!” That meant me! The recompense wasn’t a Jingle Bell headband like last year but rather a Jingle Bell baseball cap. So for the record, I’ve placed six races in a row this season. That’s not ordinary—that's extra-ordinary!
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Coming down Solomon's past the museum, so about .4 miles in, there were still some kids (ie, under 12) running near me, and a shorter women who had a strange flatter-than-normal pace, and I assumed they were all mistaken. My half-mile split was 3:10, so I knew I was going faster than I wanted, and I started to slow down. The little kids vanished, but the woman moved ahead of me. I put my timer away after the half-mile mark, because I didn't know where any other marks were, and I didn't want to carry the timer in my hand anymore. I could see Gary Ellenwood out in front of me, and I thought it was a good sign that I could see him. (Before the race he'd said I was welcome to come run the race with him, when I asked him what his goal time was, but I thought that would be a bit fast for me -- he was hoping to break 20 -- and he did.) Entering the island, I picked up a couple of cross-county guys who passed me, and followed them to slip in behind Amy Mattingly and the other woman -- whom I by now realized was not making a mistake, but really was running the race at that speed, and was leading Amy by 10-20 meters. I was elated to be pacing off Amy Mattingly (I was pretty sure it was her, because I'd heard people say Amy as she passed the museum at .4 miles -- I wasn't far behind her even then), b/c I figured that meant good news for my probable time. I asked another guy what his goal was, and he said 20:30, and asked me mine, and when I said 21:00, he accelerated away ahead of me; I guess I got him worried he was running too slowly Smile Coming out of the island onto the straightaway, people yelled "first woman", as Amy and the other woman passed them, so I knew I was running just behind the lead women, which was kind of neat. The cross-country guys were running side-by-side, and one kept spitting, so I decided to I'd prefer to go ahead and pass them, so I sped up going up the hill, and left the women behind, and started to reel in the next pack. One of the cross-country kids caught back up to me and passed me. Turning back into the final part, I reeled in two more runners, including the guy aiming at 20:30, and passed the cross-country kid again, but then in the final 100m he sprinted past me -- I tried to pick it up, but couldn't match his sprint. I enjoyed the exciting finish, as I like to speed up at the end, and it is exciting when someone else does too. I forgot to watch to see which woman won, so I didn't know until the they announced it. Amy won, so she must have pushed on past the other woman finally somewhere up that hill or in the final sprint. If I'd only thought to turn around, instead of resting at the end, I could have seen the final outcome. Smile They sent an email saying that the results would be posted by CharmCityRun, but, they've not posted them yet -- even though they HAVE posted the results of today's Baltimore Jingle Bell Run. http://www.charmcityrun.com/results.cfm

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

I wish I'd had some people to race against at the end --- it was just me vs. the clock!

Diesel Power

http://www.charmcityrun.com/results.cfm I predict DR will be plenty bitter if he checks out his chip time. Perry: They clocked you at 20:12, nice job! That's seconds shy of my all time best, and crushes my best of 2007.
              Durrr

Yes, we were just discussing that in an e-mail. A mistake was definitely made. There should not have been any deviation between the chip time and clock time since I started right up front, and if anything, the chip should have lowered my time, not raised it by eight or nine seconds.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm happy they gave me a lower time than I thought I saw, but, is it credible? I didn't start on the front line, but it sure didn't take me 18sec to cross the start -- I thought I saw about 20:30 on the clock when I crossed the finish line. However, the people listed just before and after me look correct: I see the kid who sprinted past me just in front, and I see two people I passed just behind, and I see the top women behind them.

Durrr

It all sounds really haywire to me, but the heading at the top did say "unofficial results." I'm hoping the CBRC will get things straight before the post the official results.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I tried to ring someone at CharmCity -- Kelly? Katie? -- they told me who handles their run results and gave me a phone number, but I rang her several times and never got her. I was curious to ask if official results are coming, and if they will include both gun and chip times. I note that the other two Dec CharmCity results don't say unofficial at the top. They also don't list gun & chip times. Race Director Kelly told me that the times for the first 100 people should be chip times. Crystal thinks her results time is too fast also, just like mine.

Diesel Power

This is a very intriguing set-up, and completely atypical of Charm City Run to botch something this badly. Usually their events are first class all the way. I thought this was supposed to be a CBRC event, though? Why aren't they handling the results? To be honest, I'm kind of surprised CCR is doing an event this far south. Did someone say something about the race not having enough timers for everyone, or am I remembering wrong? That would seem strange for a race with only four hundred people.
                        Durrr

Here's what CBRC race director Kelly said to Perry in an e-mail: "Have you been receiving my other emails? The finish line was a mess because someone kicked out the cord and it quit registering chips around participant > 100. Once they figured that out, bibs were being collected, but then people > turned in their bibs after they had finished 10-15 minutes earlier. If you > are in the top 100, it would be your chip time recorded. I have no idea why > David's time is different, but I am happy to correct it. > > You probably did calculate the times correctly - I can't say that Charm City > did. I don't believe they were entering in Team data on race day - and > there was no special form that you missed. I can't say that they did > anything correct to be honest. Once I get the results back together as best > I can, I will recalculate the results too."

Diesel Power

I think it's kind of unfair to throw Charm City Run completely under the bus for someone kicking out a cord. I don't think they can be blamed for the chip timers not registering time correctly. They didn't invent the technology. As far as I can tell, since CBRC was registering people for the event, wouldn't they be responsible for putting out team registration forms? Of course, I am partial to CCR being that I've had many great racing experiences with them up my way.
                            Durrr

The problem is plain to see --- too much technology. Machines to save our lives, machines dehumanize.

Diesel Power

I tend to agree. It's kind of gratuitous to have chip times in a race with only 370 people or so.