The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have no idea how their fast runners did, but several of us remembered passing two of the SMR runners walking in the first mile, which was odd... Here are the finishers up to just after DR:
    PlaceNameCityAgeAgePlaceTimePace
    1Luis MaurroEllicott City MD31*17:585:47
    2Jamie ThorneMechanicsville MD17118:355:59
    3Jeff GaySolomons MD17219:006:07
    4Noah WoodCatonsville MD25119:106:10
    5George HallWaldorf MD40119:146:11
    6Julia SmithTappanannock VA39*19:166:12
    7Paul SerraLusby MD52119:196:13
    8Joseph GroegerMechanicsville MD17319:276:15
    9Alexander BartonLusby MD15419:426:20
    10MacLain Christie 17519:436:20
    11Jereamy HallWaldorf MD11619:546:24
    12David RaleyMechanicsville MD25219:596:26
    13Alan ParrisSt Leondard MD54220:006:26
    14Matthew HaleMechanicsville MD17720:106:29
    15Zachary FlowersMechanicsville MD17820:256:34

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fortunately for myself, I was shocked by the starting cannon when the 5K went off, so I was ready for it when it went off for the 10K. In 2005 Alan Parris (a colleague of mine -- the "old guy" that DR outraced at the end) finished 3rd in Chaptico 5K with a 19:21, so it was a faster field this year than then. (That year Alan ran 18:37 at Hospice, which was only good enough for 5th place overall.)

Durrr

Why is that 11-year-old listed as sixth in his age group? As I recall, the age groups went 10 and under, 11-14, and 15-19. I also recall that he went up and received a first in age group award, to much fanfare. And I certainly feel better knowing that he beat me by "only" five seconds. Rick: if their performance at the Chaptico Classic was any indication, the SMR cross country team very likely won't be ruling the WCAC. I believe that only one or two of them beat me and, as Perry observed, a couple of them were running absurdly slow. Chopticon crushed them, it seemed. I also just noticed that Alden's 10k time in the half marathon was faster than his Kiwanis 10k time!
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The results PDF lumps all 19 & under together.

I looked at Aaron and Alden's results over the weekend. I'll see if I can find them again now. Alden Gross Overall Place 7604 / 16312 Pace 10:58 5K 26:58 10K 55:27 10 Mi 1:40:53 20K 2:12:28 Chip Time 2:23:46 Clock Time 2:40:53 You can see here that Alden's 10k split destroyed my 10k race. Nine Grosses finished the race. Aaron Witherspoon Overall Place 669 / 16312 Pace 7:54 5K 22:16 10K 46:17 10 Mi 1:17:34 20K 1:36:24 Chip Time 1:43:25 Clock Time 1:45:13 Aaron is clearly in decent shape. I'm looking forward to your marathon performance. Two Witherspoons finished the race... and with only a 10 second difference in their times! The official results have me down for 57:37. My goal was to break an hour, which meant to reach the 5k point before 30:00. I was pretty confident that, if I could do the first in 30, that I would be able to eek out the second half in the same amount of time. I started the race conservatively and ran some very slow splits. I gradually increased my effort and, except for the 4th mile with the two hills, would venture to say I ran a negative split on every mile I did. Usually, a person feels like they're going faster because of the energy spent and this really means they are probably going the same speed. That was likely the case for me over the last few miles. Anyway, I looked at my watch at the 5-mile mark and it said 50:00, which meant I would need to run an 8 minute pace for my final 1.25 in order to achieve my goal. Either the course wasn't marked exactly or else I misread my watch, because there's no way I ran 1.25 miles in 7:37 to finish. Still, the final mile was probably the fastest mile I've run in months. The weather was perfect. The sky was overcast with clouds for most of the morning, so no direct sunlight scorched us. There may have been a slight breeze at times, too. I would gladly race in those conditions any day of the week. I had high hopes for the Ryken team. They showed up in uniforms and looked pretty good. The chopticon kids wore whatever they wanted. However, I know the Chopticon #1 beat the Ryken #1. I'm not sure after that. What I am sure of is that some kid was walking after the first mile like Perry says and he looked light enough that he easily should have been able to keep jogging at an under 10 pace. The situation that really, really aggravated me was when I was on the highway just about to pass through the 5k finish area. A male and female pair of Ryken "runners" were walking leisurely along the road talking together. They were maybe 400 meters from the finish and going downhill, yet they weren't making any effort to run and I have to think one or both of them was using it as a chance to flirt. I pretty much wanted speak obscenities at them and say they were a disgrace to Ryken's dignity, but chose to withold any conclusions about them and to just continue running my race. Anyway, I don't think any Ryken runners were in the 18s. If Ryken wins the WCAC, then I'm pretty sure that says more about the state of WCAC running than it does about Ryken. I think I enjoy most races regardless of the distance. Shorter races tend to have tighter finishes, though, and that makes something like a 5k a little more exciting than most 10ks I've done. One thing I regret is that I never had a great 10k time back in high school. I remember either not taking the race seriously (too many races of more importance surrounding it) or else having leg problems (entire race was on road near the end of another racing season). I won 3rd in my age group this year mostly thanks to luck. I came in last in the age group. The difference between our times was vast, too. Perry, is the race in Hughesville (I think that's where it is) this coming weekend going to count for the Grand Prix? I noticed in the results that I'm listed as being from Tall Timbers. I definitely entered Lexington Park on the entry form. I'm guessing they must have profiles or saved histories tied to runners, so they pulled up my old information. That's cool. I kind of like the idea of Tall Timbers better, anyway, so I'm not complaining, but I did find it interesitng.
            Durrr

I saw those two languid Ryken walkers. However, I had the impression that they were twin brother and sister! And they don't seem to appear in the results, so maybe they actually registered as 5k "fun walkers." Them using the race as an excuse to flirt is eerily reminiscent to The Office Season Four opener when Jim and Pam did the same during Michael's fun run to raise rabies awareness. There's no way I would've done better than third place in the age group if I'd done the 10k --- which unfortunately would've left Joe out of the running for any recompense. So I'm glad I stuck with the 5k. Back to the half marathon, it looks as though Adubb went out too hard (22:16 first 5k), but he still kept up a decent pace. His final time was almost four minutes faster than was my half marathon split from the full marathon last March! But the Marine Core Marathon will be quite a race to watch. After his 10k performance on Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if Perry dropped almost an hour off his first marathon time!
              Durrr

No, wait, this must be them: 104 Mary Principe Lusby MD 16 (age) 13 37:23 12:01 105 Andrew Barncord Issue MD 17(age) 42 37:23 12:01

Diesel Power

Joe - Nice job on the race. You're not too far off your time from a couple of years ago, only this time around you have a new goal race to begin to focus on. The photos that DR posted on Facebook of you vs. 2006 Joe was pretty funny. Did you intend to wear the same clothes, or is that the Dowgiallo racing uniform? I think the performance (or lack thereof) of the SMR cross country team is the newest evidence for a Raley-Dowgiallo alliance to take the school's athletic department by storm.
                    I think Adubb ran his race pretty well paced. The splits show he started somewhat briskly in the lower 7s and then maintained an average pace only a little slower. If the race were longer, then maybe running a perfect pace would have helped, but for 13.1 you may as well set your initial sights on a good speed and see how well you do. It's because of that small variance in pace that I'm guessing Adubb has it in his mind he may be able to manage the whole marathon under an 8 minute pace if things go well. Those splits indicate to me that Adubb is a man possessed. Alden's times show that he could have probably started a little more slowly, but it's difficult to know what pace to run for a race you've never done before. I'm guessing from your splits that you hit some sort of a "wall" in the second half of the race that slowed you down for the last part. What did you think of your pacing? How does it compare to the pacing of your long runs?
                      I woke up planning to wear the same shorts. I wanted to wear the Chaptico jersey from a few years ago that would have been a perfect match (and it's what Papagno wore that day), except that it wasn't quite sunny enough to merit a jersey and I wasn't sure it would flatter the JKAs. I grabbed my black shirt knowing that I had worn it previously at the Chaptico Classic, but didn't really think I'd wear it. When I arrived to the race and the sky was overcast, I decided not to use the jersey. The similarity in the pictuers is a bit odd. I don't want to look the same in two years, so I need to word harder!

Diesel Power

Joe - I don't suppose you've been keeping a mileage log the past couple of years, have you? If so, it would be interesting to see how many miles you ran in the period of 8/06 - 7/07 versus what you may run during 8/08 - 7/09. If there is/should be a significant difference, I don't think you'll need to "work harder" to improve as much as "work consistently." Of course, one could argue that those to phrases are equal, so I guess I have no point.
                          I ran very well from August 2006 to December 2006. I slacked off majorly in January and February, though, and it essentially destroyed my entire year of 2007 and the first part of 2008. During the August to December 2006 time period, DR and I met at least once and sometimes twice per week to do a workout with a fair amount of intensity. I would try to squeeze in a longer run one other day in the week, but other than that I didn't put much effort into it. I would say that my consistency is better now than it was back then. One problem is my current job lets me out later, though one positive is I need to drive by St. Mary's College (track) on the way home. I'm used to thinking about improvement in terms of 5k times. I'd say breaking 25 this fall would be fantastic and set me up to try and break 22 in the spring, except that my biggest spring activity would clearly be the marathon and so it's apples and oranges. There's always the option of "not running the marathon hard" and instead using it as my long run for the week. That would help my times for the season in the shorter distances, but likely hurt my time in my first marathon.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Hughesville race is not part of the Grand Prix.

Durrr

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=25187&orgID=234639&pubID=2 http://www.racepacket.com/result05/aug05/chapti5k.htm It's stunning to see how much more competitive the Chaptico Classic has gotten. In 2004 I finished 9th overall (out of the men ... two women beat me) and first in the group with a time of 22:42, and then 7th overall and first in the age with a time of 21:11 in 2005. It's also interesting how, in '05, Joe finished over a minute behind me yet in that dividing time window not a single other male participant completed the race!
                                Hmm, that's funny. I think of the race as having gotten less competitive. I wonder if I can find statistics to back this up. I can't find a list that gives the results without age groups, but I think you can clearly see by glancing at the age group results that the race was quite faster in the year 2000! http://www.racepacket.com/result9/aug00/chaptico.htm