The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

Durrr

You acquire as many pairs of running shoes in one day as I do in a year!

Diesel Power

Joe - Do you use multiple pairs at once, or do you wait until one is shot before bringing in the next pair?
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Personally, I always rotate so I don't wear the same pair two days in a row. I've read that this helps them dry out. But the disadvantage is that I'm switching shoes all the time, so I don't have very solid experiences of the differences between the shoes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I generally switch it up a bit. Here is how it works for me. Oldest pair: Very well worn in, so extremely unlikely to get blisters, but virtually no padding Old pair: Pretty well worn in and unlikely to get blisters, but little padding. New pair: Best support, but chance of blisters. When you combine those qualities with the fact that I'd rather get older shoes wet or dirty, the result is that I often run on soft surfaces (grass or trail) in an old pair and the road in a newer pair. If it looks like raid, I avoid my newest pair for a number of reasons. I ran a fair bit of mileage on the trail today, so I took my middle pair, which would provide moderate support on the somewhat soft surface while being unlikely to cause blisters. I actually wore a trail sock, too, to try and make sure of that. This was harder in the past when my shoes were different, but my last set of shoes like this were New Balance (NB) 747, NB 757, and NB 757. Now that I have new shoes, they're all NB 757, so swapping between them isn't much of a shock to my feet. Seeing as how I have a couple of more pairs still in the box (assuming my feet don't change or begin to hate these shoes), I should be set with this pattern for a while to come. I used to do like Perry and have two different type of shoes that I just alternated every other day. It did help keep them smelling and feeling fresh, but I wasn't 100% satisfied with how each shoe fit my foot, so I abandoned that eventually.
            You HAVE TO watch this for when a couple of minutes in he talks about his shoes. http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234057/72508-brian-sell-after-the-olympics
            philibusters

Braxton Dupree transferred from Maryland to Towson. He was considered a pretty big recruit when he came in, even started some games as a freshman. He was hampered at Maryland by his weight issues, at 6'7 at times he got up 280/285 which is heavy and a lack of confidence. In HS he had a soft touch and was money around the basket, at Maryland he never got his confidence and lost his soft touch. I thought he had a better freshman year than sophomore year and that was because he played with a little more confidence as a freshman and was able to make the close shots a lot better. Watching his two year career at Maryland was like watching a lesson in the importance of confidence, he came in and did reasonably well right away as a freshman, but as his confidence went down he ability to score plummeted as did his playing time. He actually wasn't awful, but he had lost confidence at Maryland and I think the coaches and fans had lost a little confidence in him. If he can refine his touch around the basket, he may be the best player Towson has had in a long time and may help them end a 13 year streak of losing records within the CAA.
                My left knee is almost assuredly developing tendonitis.  I noticed a hint of it yesterday running 8 miles at the college.  It grew a little worse today at Ryken during the 7 miles with hills and was pretty aggravated by the end of the workout.  I stretched and thought it wasn't so bad, but I knew from memory that tendonitis doesn't really get better unless you stop using the tendon.  I got home and felt great, but then I walked up the stairs, which was quite difficult.  I took ibuprofen and showered.  I feel decent know, but am not sure how to train in the next few days.  I think I should consider cross training, but will need to look up my options, as I suspect nearly anything involving my knee will make it worse.

Diesel Power

philibusters

Doesn't sound like you are developing tendonitis Joe (which would be running through stiffness and small aches in your knee), it sounds like you already have a mild form of it.

I would have advice about taking a couple days off, but because you race Saturday, it could mess you up.

Diesel Power

I had thought that both Meb Keflizighi and Kara Goucher were sponsored by Asics, but apparently not anymore.  Did I miss something here?  I'm not certain Meb K was ever on the team, but I'm fairly certain Kara was.  Doesn't make a big deal, but it was cool having several of the top American long distance runners on one "team."  Deena, Sara Hall, and Ryan Hall remain along with a couple of newly signed triathletes that I've never heard of.  The only reason I'm bitter is because I was hoping to eventually get some Asics promotional posters of the athletes for the Wall of Running in the basement.
                      philibusters

I don't know famous runners, but I thought the top American Goucher was Adam Goucher?  Is Kara his sister or something?

Diesel Power

I believe they’re married.

I’m not exactly sure where Adam Goucher ranks.  However, I remember reading back in January that Kara Goucher was the #1 US female marathoner, with Deena Kastor being #2. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't know the rankings, but Kara was 3rd at both NY marathon and Boston Mara.

At NY, Kara held on to the lead pack until about mile 20?, and a Russian woman held on for several more miles to Paula, and after that Paula Radcliffe (UK) was alone to the end.

At Boston, Kara led the first 22mi?, but then got dropped in the last mile or so by an Ethiopian and a Kenyan woman, who sprinted to the line to see who'd get first.

I watched those two marathons on internet video Smile

PS: I believe Ryan Hall holds the AR (American Record) for half-marathon with just under an hour.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

Yes, he set it at Houston a couple of years back before beginning to train for marathons.

Diesel Power

Removed discussion of project...