The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, what Joe said.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

Here’s something from an email sent by the Baltimore 10-mile race directors.  I guess I should mark my calendar for late next decade.

“We are working with the city to bulldoze the hills in the final two miles of the course.  That project should be completed in time for the 2019 race.”

Durrr

I was just about to bring that up on the forum myself! But I have to wonder just how serious they really are about that.
        philibusters

There is something really weird going on with my computer.  In the race result thread where it should say  "reply" it instead says "join this group".  At first I thought it was just because I was not logged in at first and the page had cached, but then I hit refresh and it stayed the same.  So I can post in some threads but not others.  I am hoping this problem goes away when I restart my computer.
          philibusters

It again won't let me reply in race results.

And it looks like Crystal might be have issues with the forum too, so it might be a forum problem and not a problem with our computers.

Perry is up to 129 consecutive days.  Does that make you wish you had started that on January 1st?  I'm starting to grow curious what will get you to take a day off.  A 35 mile long run through a marathon?

Diesel Power

I’ve had a difficult time focusing yesterday and today because the Redskins training camp started yesterday.  Around lunch time I read training camp reports and I get fired up about the upcoming season. 

I wonder if I get so pumped for the NFL season because I associate it with the fourth quarter of the year, which has been my favorite time of year since graduating from college.  Autumn brings excellent running weather (great time for racing, too), parties all around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, and I use up most of my accumulated vacation days and personal time. 

Back to the Redskins… several players on their offensive line went to Arizona to train in the off season and lost a substantial amount of weight.  For instance, Chris Samuels (LT) went from 330 down to 305.  Mike Williams, fourth overall pick of the 2005 (?) draft, ballooned up to 450 pounds in two years off from football due to a back problem.  His roommate (Derek Dockery) signed with the Skins in the off season, and the Skins decided to sign him to a minimum deal as well.  Since February, he has dropped down to 342 pounds.  He has lost over 100 pounds in six months, thanks in part to the off season program.  Apparently he is a monster on the line. 

I hate the Redskins for being the off season champions every year.  Now I can’t help by get fired up for what very well could be another 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 year.  Regardless, I’m drinking the Kool Aid in every possible way right now.

Diesel Power

Durrr

Sounds like a larger scale version of the Hospice 5k 2008 where Julia Smith vanquished every last man in the race.

Diesel Power

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

This is not running related, but it irritates me beyond words.  First off, this girl is suing her college for not being able to find a job THREE MONTHS after she graduated.  Is this generation so coddled that we feel entitled to a $40K/year job right after graduating?  I worked at Office Depot for $9/hour for three months after graduating from college.  I worked mornings/afternoons, and spent all evening sending my resume all over the state of Maryland looking for a job.  I found nothing, and that was in a strong economy!  Even after I found a job, I had to grind for nearly two years in sales jobs before I even sniffed employment that paid a decent salary.  I think it probably goes that way for most college graduates.  And guess what?  I got my current job (that I've had for 2.5 years now) by a little thing called NETWORKING, not blindly through Monster.com. 

I'd say that the "Career Placement" places on college campuses are, for the most part, a joke.  I think the office at Towson generally guided people to ENTRY-entry level positions (e.g. administrative assistants, sales, etc) so people can begin to network on their own. 

Second, the girl in question says that she would advise EVERYONE who doesn't find a job three months after graduating to sue their college?  Does she mean that any random philosophy or psychology major (just like your boy) who can't find a job should sue their college?  She has a degree in IT.  Good major, but I know maybe a half dozen experienced IT professionals who are collecting unemployment.

The scary thing is that we live in a world where people successfully sue for coffee being too hot.  If this girl where successful, I guess in the future that all universities and colleges would have to get some kind of employment disclaimer before admission.  Otherwise, they'd have to jack up tuition in order to account for the students who'll sue.

Here's my advice to this girl: Work mornings and afternoons in retail or waiting tables.  Bartend in the evenings/weekends.  Network.  God forbid, work two jobs to make ends meet if you have to until the job market eases up.  OR, do us all a favor and drop off the face of the earth.

Phil - Is there any chance she wins?  You may have no idea, but you probably have more of a clue than me. 

Durrr

Those radio adds for Microsoft's computertraining.com always throw in a bit about how their program in no way guarantees employment or the granting of a specific salary. They must have had the foresight to anticipate someone like this law suit happy harpy. Then again, I've been unemployed for three months so maybe it's time I sued SU, CSM, and SMR. And maybe MCSS, too! Disclaimer: I'm completely kidding.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The scary thing is that we live in a world where people successfully sue for coffee being too hot.  

The way I heard the story is that the infamous McDonald's in question continued to serve very dangerously hot coffee even after being warned, and gave some woman coffee that caused third degree burns, skin grafts, and permanent disfiguration to her.

The product liability argument -- that people should be held morally accountable for their actions when the knowingly lead to injury or death -- sounds plausible to me.

I understand some free-marketers argue that corporations should provide a complete shield to the individuals involved, so that they are immune from any moral or legal repercussions, but I'm not convinced that is just.

Diesel Power

DR – By the girl’s logic, you should definitely lawyer up against Salisbury. 

Perry – Okay, I was incorrect to use that as an example.  My point is that people love filing lawsuits. 

I think the typical college's employment assistance is a total joke and that they should be held accountable to the extent that they should either have a decent success rate or else lose funding.  That being said, I don't think what they're doing is by any means criminal.  Plenty of people may not be getting real help from those they seek it from, but each person needs to take some responsibility.

Quote of the article, "As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average..."

I was no academic standout in college, either, but that sentence blew my mind.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe the school graded on a 0 to 2.71 scale Smile