The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

Diesel Power

I believe the article references a statement where the girl says the career center was more interested in helping those individuals who had closer to 4.0 GPAs.  It's entirely possible that those individuals were better suited or prepared for jobs.  I also found it strange that she's very cavalier about throwing around her 2.7 GPA as if it were amazing.  I think a general rule is that if one has a GPA above 3.0 it can be added to a resume.  Anything below should be kept hush-hush unless asked.

I'm curious to see if this story grows legs.  If so, her entire academic record in college could be brought to light.  I would be extremely curious to see if she did any internships.  I did a couple of psychology-internships as an undergrad, and definitely would have been hired by the hospital where I worked had I wanted to keep on that route.  My company usually hires interns that come through here, unless they're completely incompetent. 

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she was in clubs, had internships, didn't party excessively, but struggled a bit with grades.  Otherwise, she'd be an even bigger moron than she already appears to file a lawsuit of this kind.  I'm guessing she's a "victim" of the economic climate, but advertising her GPA probably doesn't help.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Actually I thought azredbirds052's allegations were much sadder; if true this is of fairly wide impact, unlike (I think) a single apparently poorly-thought out lawsuit.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

Clearly.  I'll try to keep my rants to a minimum from now on.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No, please, it's the internet -- it was invented for rants, along with the dissemination of information Smile

Durrr

Yesterday I interviewed for a tech writer position at one of the smaller outfits in the St. Mary's tech corridor. I was interviewed simultaneously by two women, and I couldn't help think how familiar one of them looked. Well it wasn't until I got home that my memory finally jogged. The woman in question just so happens to be the same person who directs the St. Mary's City Thanksgiving Prediction Run/5k race --- the event that I've participated in three years running. And looking her up on athlinks.com revealed that she's also participated in the majority of the local running events I've raced in going back to 2006 (Chaptico Classic, Hospice, Jingle Bell, etc). The moral here is that running leads to making prestigious connections!

Who was it?

Maybe you could send like a thank you email and mention the connection.

Oh, and what company was it?

Durrr

Tamara P. She's a friend of Perry's on Facebook, I saw, so I imagine she's a CBRC member. I ensured that she'll find out about the running connection by mentioning it to another employee (to whom I'm related) at the company --- which is SCI.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Huh, I thought Suzanne E. directs the Thanksgiving Run -- except Suzanne is going to be at some tri this year, so maybe Tamara is picking it up -- I dunno.

Durrr

Well, I know Tamara is the one who addresses runners right before the start of the race, and then gives the start command.

I drove past Ryken today en route to the end of Camp Calvert Rd, and you all wouldn't have believed your eyes. It's like Ground Zero there. The Goat Field, the lacrosse field, and the student parking lot are all gone. Surrounding Paschal is naught but bulldozed plains of dirt, rubble piles, and hastily erected chainlink fences. It all makes me wonder how school is supposed to start in just a week or two --- and how will the cross country team manage to have a home meet this year?

Durrr

This selection from The Enterprise's crime beat conveys a compelling case for avoiding the park near Joe's residence, which was being discussed earlier this week as a potential practice place.

Homeless man charged with indecent exposure in Lexington Park

A former Charles County resident who said in court that he checked into a homeless shelter in St. Mary’s a couple days ago remained jailed Thursday after a bond hearing on a charge of indecent exposure.

Kenneth Paul Stone, 46, is accused in charging papers of exposing himself on Wednesday afternoon to a woman who was riding a bicycle a at Lancaster Park off Willows Road in Lexington Park.

The woman said she was riding bicycle laps around the park and that the suspect’s attire as he stood by a fence gradually diminished from a tank top and underwear, to just the underwear and ultimately no clothing at all, sheriff’s deputy Michael Worry wrote in a statement of probable cause.

The deputy responding to the scene located Stone and arrested him, court papers state, and Stone said the next day in court that he moved earlier this week from St. Charles into the Three Oaks Center in Lexington Park.

A judge ordered that Stone have no contact with the woman if he posts 10 percent of a $3,500 bond to gain pretrial release, and that Stone receive a mental health evaluation if he remains in jail.

Diesel Power

So Val stumbled onto the season premiere of the Biggest Loser last night, which I now fear will cut a sizeable hole into Tuesday evening studying.  I already had Sons of Anarchy penciled in for 10-11pm on Tuesdays, this just makes things worse.

Speaking of “worse…” this is only my second season watching the Biggest Loser, but these people are WAY heavier than they were last year.  They had one guy (maybe 18 years old) on the show last season who started at ~440 pounds.  That was a huge (FYI – no puns intended with words like these) deal, as he was the heaviest contestant ever.  This year, that have at least three guys weighing over 400 pounds and one woman whose starting weight was 474 pounds!

It got real-real with some of the stories of each contestant.  The 474 pound woman, whose name I think is Shay, lived on the streets with her heroin-addicted mother until the age of 18, when she got on a bus with a laundry basket full of her possessions and began to pay her way through college.  So, in her defense, this isn’t the typical case of someone just forgetting to exercise and eating double portions every night.  Another woman (name escapes me) ballooned up to 300+ after her husband and two children were killed in a car accident by a reckless driver. 

The guy I referenced earlier, Daniel, who weighed 440 last season actually returned this year.  He was booted off the show last year when his teammate acted like a jerk (contestants got voted off as teams last year).  However, he’s been working out on his own and has dropped to 312 pounds. 

The most notable part of the show was, before being taken to the show’s campus, all contestants were dropped off to run a mile on a course marked off on a highway.  This was a pretty big eye-opener as to what kind of shape they were in.  Daniel won the whole thing (even beating out a fireman) with a mile time of about fifteen minutes.  Two people were hospitalized after the run.  However, I’m guessing that they’ll repeat this mile maybe in a couple of months, at which point an inspirational montage will be shown to demonstrate how far they’ve come.  Maybe I’m a rube, but I’m captivated by this show.

Durrr

"Was she one of those great big fat girls? The police around here don't seem to have the first idea."

"Yes, she was a big girl."

Diesel Power

Usain Bolt is to sprinting what Michael Jordan was to basketball-- very difficult to make much news in that shadow.  Tyson has to be pretty happy with that run.

Diesel Power

If you have a chance, go to RunnersWorld.com and check out the survey.  Top right corner of the main page, the link reads: "Best.  Runner.  Ever."  I skimmed through the questions... that's a survey that would probably take me an hour to finish!