The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

That's a very good experiment.  We'd have to find like 50 sets of twins to start and get enough of a statistical sampling to publish our results in a journal.
    Durrr

This hard-hitting news article might enrage Rick, one of Meb K's most steadfast defenders.

Meb K Cheated

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's a very good experiment.  We'd have to find like 50 sets of twins to start and get enough of a statistical sampling to publish our results in a journal.

What, a single sample isn't enough for you?

Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

This hard-hitting news article might enrage Rick, one of Meb K's most steadfast defenders.

Meb K Cheated

I don't know how I didn't suspect something earlier, what with the obvious "clip-clop gait." 

Seems like a weird time to parody fast marathoners... what will they do now if Sammy Wanjiru follows through?

Durrr

I happened upon that thread a couple of weeks ago and thought about that, DR.  I was then surprised to see that the thread was about the negativity of such, as my experiences involving spanking have all been very positive...
              Durrr

For those not on the CBRC mailing list:

Hi All,
                Here's something to amuse and bemuse you.  If you read the newsletter, you might remember that in his monthly letter, prez Ric Braam reluctantly admitted that he reads Runner's World.  This puzzled me.  Sure, there's a lot of retread material, and too much obsequious gaga-ing over Kara Goucher's looks, but I wouldn't hide it behind a brown wrapper.  Well, I gained some insight on the minds behind it.

About a year and a half ago I submitted our LPR Marathon for the Best Schwag column, which recognizes races that provide more than the usual goodies, like the Tiffany necklace at the SF Nike Women's Marathon, a bag of apples at some 5K in Washington State...  I described the excellent post-race meal that the Harry Lundeberg School has provided free for the past 5 years.  A few weeks ago Lori Adams, an RW editorial assistant, contacted me and said they were interested in featuring our race in the March issue.  However, her editor wanted to know what the meal would be.  I told her it was probably too soon to know, but I'd try to find out.  I called Howard, the manager of the Paul Hall Center, but he didn't return my calls.  I know how busy he is, so I didn't push.  I told RW that it was too soon to know, but past entrees have included prime rib, shrimp gumbo, and meatloaf, accompanied by rice or pasta, hot vegetables, tossed salad, and assorted cookies/brownies.  Lori said she'd check with her editor.

Today I heard from Lori. I've cut and pasted her reply:

Hi Liz:  I wanted to let you know that my editor won’t use your race unless it has the prime rib included.  But I will try again next year.  I am sorry Liz.

Lori

Okay, so Runner's World expects me to demand of our hosts that they serve prime rib?  Do they know nothing about race directing, and how important it is to be gracious to anyone and everyone who sponsors, hosts, or contributes to a race?

I told them I was disappointed, and might even have forgiven them for featuring Sarah Palin ("I'm a Runner") if they granted us a photo and one line, which is what the Best Schwag tidbit usually amounts to.

-Liza

Diesel Power

I’ll tread carefully here… I’m sure the meal provided at LPR is wonderful, and is better than any post race meal I’ve ever had.  That being said, there’s probably a lot of good events out there that have a similar post-race spreads.  RW probably gets a ton of requests to be featured and get free publicity for various events, and only want to pay special attention to those warranted.  In this scenario, prime rib would stand out amongst other meals. 

It doesn’t sound like they’re demanding anything to me… more like a statement of fact.  Also, I’m sure that those at RW are more than SI-rejects, and they probably have some idea of what goes in to race directing. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just did Rehoboth, which also has food afterward. LPRM food is probably better overall, but I was very happy with the Rehoboth food. The edge that LPRM has, for me, is the access to showers, and the fact that the food eating is indoors.

Diesel Power

Shower access is unusual, and I for one would probably value it over a post race spread (ESPECIALLY in March).
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Eating Indian food leftovers today... How was your Indian food Phil?

My fascination with shoes continues to grow, but it may have paid off a bit today.  I was browsing some random shoe sites I frequent when I came across a deal for spikes selling as low as $10 each.  I grabbed two different sets of spikes and paid a whopping total of like $22.  They are mainly for use on rubber or dirt and certainly would rough up my legs if not conditioning to running with very little shoe on my feet, so I'm by no means ready to use them now.  I was just remarking the other day that I don't even own true racing shoes anymore, though, so I thought these a good buy and could potentially be used in such things as the CBRC mile series (rubber) or the trail run series (dirt).  And if I simply walk around in them in a park or wear them to the gym, well, I can't be very upset about spending $10 on some foot protection.

I've been trying to figure out a lot about what pronation actually means.  I've been to enough sites to find inconsistencies.  I've paid a lot of attention to my feet for the last few weeks I think I have a mostly neutral and "efficient" running gait.  The tricky thing here is that my neutrality is a bit of a compromise.  It appears that my right foot slightly overpronates and my left foot slightly supinates.  This makes buying shoes a bit confusing, but reaffirms that many of the shoes I now own are appropriate and I was able to find a few other shoes that would also be good fits.  The shoes I'm currently running in are getting extremely worn and irritated my heel bone (the lower part, not the Achilles) in my last long run.  That may have to be my last big run in that pair of shoes.

Today we welcome into the flock the Mizuno Wave Rider 13, the Mizuno Tempo LD Spike, and the Asics Hyper LD Spike.

And now to Google shoe racks...

Durrr

I just so happened to receive a new pair of shoes today, too (the usual Asics). Except this was my first new pair since early September, and will be my last new pair until maybe May.

I don't need a shoe rack.

Durrr

Perry's epic running streak ended perhaps a bit sooner than he'd hoped, compelled by an unfortunate ankle twist (something that could happen to any runner at any time, and therefore is not necessarily a sign of over-training). So to help him appreciate just how extraordinary his streak was while it last, I decided to do a little wiki-research on the number 308 --- which, according to his log, is the amount consecutive days he ran.

Events (in the year 308)

[edit] By place

[edit] Roman Empire

[edit] Asia

[edit] By topic (in the year 308)

[edit] Religion

Numerical properties:

308 = 22·7·11, Nontotient, totient sum of the first 31 integers, Harshad number. heptagonal pyrimidal number, sum of two consecutive primes (151 + 157).