The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

I figured it had to do with his job, too. I imagine people in law enforcement would want information about themselves kept private so it can't be used for some bad purpose. This is similar to how traditionally many teachers don't have their phone numbers put in the phone book due to fear of prank calling (or angry parents).

Diesel Power

I’ve heard that some private companies are now doing something similar, maybe even the exact same thing.  Supposedly the ACLU is already all-over this one. 

At some point, I tried to set my privacy ratings on Facebook to make the profile near invisible.  I would rather no one even be able to see that I exist on Facebook unless I seek them out.  Does anyone feel like unfriending me on FB and trying this out? 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rick, I just tried it. I can't find you from your email address, but I can find you from your name -- and I see your timeline page, and some photos too. So I don't think your settings are very near invisible yet.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

By the way, Rick, there's a decent Walking Dead forum ("The Walking Dead on AMC") here on RA:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/e68b7d92fed54674a74a381f9c6c386e#focus

I chime in from time to time. But definitely avoid it if you're not caught up on episodes, as it's inundated with spoilers.

It may be that since you are friends with a friend you can see some more of it. I'm not sure how complex FB is like that.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It may be that since you are friends with a friend you can see some more of it. I'm not sure how complex FB is like that.

Good point. That should depend on whether Rick has set some stuff to be visible to friends of friends....

Durrr

This South Korean man's marathon finish was haunted ... by Joe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chesapeake_bay_running_club/6832226556/in/set-72157629565476849

Durrr

I can't help but want to hear more details on this incident ...

We discussed an issue that happened at the pre-race dinner with a supporter who came with a runner.  He was quite agitated and rude to the other diners and to a volunteer.  The supporter was also extremely rude at packet pick-up.  He was warned of the possibility of being removed from the race.

philibusters

Yes do tell, I haven't heard any of the details yet.

So Nicoletti's was packed and service was slow.  The runners were having a good time chatting while Perry and I were meeting folks and making conversation.  I went over to a table of folks I had not yet met and asked how they were doing.  The older gentleman looked at me with a bit of a scowl and said "not good" and began to complain to me about how long it was taking to get their food.  I told him that I did not work for the restaurant and was there representing the club.  He continued his rant to me and the women he was with (who was running the marathon) chimed in as well.

I was feeling a little abused at this point, but offered to check with the restaurant staff to see about their orders.  I came back to let them know they would be, "on their way soon".  This was not comforting to the couple (the other folks waiting at the table were very nice about it).  I went to introduce myself to the man who was complaining and held out my hand.  He refused to shake my hand, would not tell me his name, and told me that he did not want to meet me.  If I had not been representing the club, my reponse could have been a lot different, but I let that go and tried to diffuse what I could.  The woman continued to tell me about the wonderful marathons she had been to that had organized pre-race dinners and the runners didn't have to wait for food and we should have done that instead of going to a restaurant that did not give the f* about this. She was actually nicer than the man.  She also told me that his complaining was causing the runners at the table to have their stomachs turn. 

I checked one more time on their food, but in the meanwhile, Liza called him on his cell phone.  He asked me later if I had the Race Director call him (I did not).  He had been rude to the volunteers at registration earlier and she was calling to warn him about the possibility of getting removed.  Funny timing.  I did not know the contents of his conversation with her at the time.  He continued to complain to me as if I worked at the restaurant and should be able to do something about their food.  I offered one of my pizza rolls to the woman - she took it, but couldn't really eat it b/c it had meat or something. Finally, their food came and they ate.  I will say that they were a little more calm after eating, but it was a most unpleasant experience.

Volunteers don't get paid enough.

Durrr

Sounds like they were just a tad, how shall we say, cantankerous? Their behavior was especially appalling considering your sincere attempts to remain friendly and professional on behalf of the club ... and restaurant (sorry, but I found some absurd humor in how they kept acting as though you were a Nicolleti's server). I suppose it's inevitable that at least a couple bad apples will turn up over the course of 8 annual marathon events.

I'm reminded of an Office episode from the previous season where, through a misunderstanding, Jim and Pam's entire church congregation ends up at their daughter's post-christening refreshments party --- when only select family members and friends (and of course coworkers) were actually invited. Thus the intended intimate affair becomes packed with strangers. The absurdity of the situation is defined when an indigant woman furiously complains that the scones and single container of apple cider are depleted, casting down the empty jug as she storms off in disgust. "Who was that??" asks a bewildered Pam. "I think that was Sconesy Cider, noted baptism reception critic," Jim offers.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Was this the runner wife?

No, not her.  The lady in that photo, Ava?, was very nice.  She is a marathon maniac.  The lady in question is much, much shorter with short, dark hair.

Durrr

This has got to be her (at least that's how I pictured her while reading your account).