The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was going to try to do some speedwork this weekend. DR, you said it is too late for hard speedwork now?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'd say 8 days is the closest to a race you could do a run and actually expect to benefit from it. In other words, running hard within a few days of the race might be healthy, but your body isn't going to recover and internalize the benefit of the workout any sooner. The traditional thought (which I can't easily back up with science since I've always just gone with the flow) is that 10 days before a race is your last chance to do a workout that will give you a tangible benefit. Right now, your primary worry is to do nothing that would cause fatigue to carry into next weekend. I'd say with a week left that you are teetering on the threshold of benefit versus fatigue and that doing things to keep you limber are a good idea. Just don't do anything that might make your body start to think it's actually competing in the marathon quite yet.

Diesel Power

Last night I returned to the Goucher College track I believe for the first time in 2009. I know for certain that this was my first legitimate speedwork since late December. I've worked it out with Val that, until the end of the semester, she will walk Molly after work on Thursdays so that I can get to the track earlier. However, I completely forgot to account for the fact that Goucher's track team will likely be practicing until ~6:30, as the XC team was in the fall. Regardless, I got to the track at 5:30 yesterday. As I suggested, I was surprised that the track team was already practicing. I figured they wouldn't be out for a few more weeks. The good thing is that they were done by 5:45, so I had the track to myself after stretching and a warm-up mile. I'm currently working on the first week of an eight week 10K program. After the success I had with the Hall Half program last year, I'm completely in the box for these cookbook programs. I've come to terms with the fact that these running coaches know way more than I do, so if I follow their programs within parameters that I know won't wind up with me being injured, I'll probably be okay. The program, designed by Hal Higdon, consists of three moderate-to-difficult workouts per week, as well as easier days and a long run. The three moderate-to-difficult workouts include: 1. A 30, 40, or 50 minute tempo run in which one begins by running a mile easy, and then slowly increases speed to about 10K pace, holding that pace for only a few minutes. For instance, I might run 50 minutes, slowly increasing speed until I peak at 10K pace at 35 minutes. I would then hold that pace for five minutes, and then cool down for the remaining portion of the run. 2. Tempo/Pace run: 5-6 mile weekly run with 2-3 miles at 10K pace. 3. 400s. Hal Higdon apparently LOVES 400s for anything shorter than a Half. Week 1 begins with 6 x 400 at mile pace, week 7 peaks with 12 x 400 at mile pace about 10 days before the race. This will probably be beneficial, as it could help improve length strength and turnover before I move into longer intervals for the 10-miler training. Last night was 6 x 400 at mile pace, which for the purpose of this program, I'm calling 6:00. I don't have my forerunner on hand, but here are about what my splits were: 1 - 1:36 2 - 1:32 3 - 1:29 4 - 1:23 5 - 1:28 6 - 1:29 The first two were rough. I don't think it was from a lack of effort, but it just took a few reps to get my stride back. My feet were all over the place, and my stride was reaching way too long. The third rep was a little better, but drastically improved for the final three. The BRRC training program began to spill onto the track around 6:30. I suppose there are many new runners in this group, as there was a lot of mulling around in lanes 1 and 2. Fortunately I was able to wrap things up before they began warming up. I'm still giving consideration to joining BRRC for $20, but it might be weird if I did that and then didn't train with them despite being at the same place.
        Durrr

Those are strong interval splits. And it seems what I did last night is exactly what workout #2 of the cookbook 10k program calls for.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm tapering, but I'm feeling sore and slow each time I go running recently -- even though I'm only going for abt 5mi at a time. I hope I feel stronger next week -- cutting even further back in mileage next week.

Durrr

Have you been icing? I plan to make that a daily ritual between now and the marathon. Actually, I'll probably be icing as much as ever in the days following the marathon!
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd say 8 days is the closest to a race you could do a run and actually expect to benefit from it. ...
                Ooops. I took off 3.5 days -- not entirely planned, but worked too long on Monday and didn't feel like running that night, then Tue was a day and a half for me with a 14hr time change in the middle of it. I didn't actually feel like running today, but went out -- first run in under 65F in two weeks, but it felt ok. Did first half with Crystal (08:51, 08:24, 08:24, half at 08:09 pace), then went back out myself and felt good and started going faster (07:58, 07:34, 07:02, 07:06, 06:51, half at 06:43). Probably shouldn't have done tempo this late but it felt good and restored my confidence Smile Plus I didn't slip on ice and fall Smile

Diesel Power

Goucher College is currently undergoing major renovations campus wide, and its athletic facilities will be no exception. Word is that the track will be re-surfaced sometime in the next month. I'm hoping that happens during the week that begins in March and ends in April. If that's the case, then Baltimore County Public Schools will be on spring break and I could go to a local school's track. I'm a bit worried that this could lead to the end of Goucher's "open track" policy. Schools like Towson University with a track/football "stadium" often keep their facilities locked. However, Goucher allows the public to use their track from dawn until midnight, even going as far as to leave the field lights on until that time. I'm concerned that they'll reverse that policy in an effort to protect their investment. If that's the case, I'll have to come up with another way to do intervals during the school year. Last night I did 7x400, aiming for 6:00 pace. Times were as follows: 1- 1:26 2- 1:31 3- 1:31 4- 1:30 5- 1:31 6- 1:33 7- 1:30 My times could have been better (or my effort could have been less to achieve the same result) if not for the icy spots that remained on the track. Snow was still in lane 1-2 on both straights, so I had to work around that as well. A run of nine miles tomorrow will put me at 28 miles for the week. Good luck to DR and Perry in the marathon on Sunday.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...if not for the icy spots that remained on the track....
                    Gotta say, that sound dangerous...

Weather permitting, Phil and I are planning to run St. Mary's River State Park on Saturday. All are encouraged to join us!
                      Durrr

Though I did just charge up the stairs at work (in my haste to get to the time clock) without a twinge of pain (it's really only walking downstairs that still smarts), I'm still taking it easy for the time being. Thus the rooty, muddy, and hillacious terrain of SMRSP wouldn't agree with recovery.

Diesel Power

I'd be very interested to learn how Phil is progressing, but I'll be unable to experience it first-hand this weekend. On that note, I have a 5K in Jarrettsville, MD on Sunday. It's a local club race, only in Harford County so it's not put on by the BRRC. However, since it's squaring off against the St. Patrick's Day 5K in the city (which reached it's cap of 4,000 people about a month ago), I anticipate a race field of only 20-25 people. Those people should be fairly competitive, though. After Sunday, my next race will be a 15K in White Hall, MD. This race will be on the NCR Trail, so I anticipate it being flatter and faster than the Hospice in April. However, it will hopefully give me a good idea as to what kind of time I might be posting at Hospice.
                          Durrr

Sounds like you'll be battle-hardened with races by the day of Hospice, which should give you a distinct competitive edge. Sunday wasn't my most glorious morning, but still --- I completed a marathon in a respectable time, which the average citizen couldn't imagine accomplishing. And though I don't want to become an elitist, I could barely restrain my groaning annoyance when I came in yesterday (after taking Monday off) and heard the people sitting near me boasting at length about the great workouts they'd been getting on their Wii Fits. Is there a Wii Fit marathon simulator? I doubt it.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh come on. Surely you can simulate a marathon on your Wii. Just jump up and down on the Wii for 3 to 4 hours nonstop. Smile

Diesel Power

I may be getting a little “race-happy” with my schedule. After the Hospice in April, I’m already eyeing a 5K for early May and a 10K for late May, leading up to the Baltimore 10-miler in June. However, aside from the 10-miler in June and Baltimore Half in October, I hope to have no race this year cost more than $20. While I’ll give you there’s probably no marathon simulator on the Wii fit, I’ve heard it can give one a pretty good workout. I think there’s some kind of “jog simulator,” but that’s probably for people who are too lazy to go outside. I can definitely see it being handy for things such as Yoga or the like, as those classes can be very expensive. It’s also probably an inexpensive alternative to joining a gym, or for people with very little time on their hands. Speaking of which, I recently purchased what is labeled an “Iron Gym.” In reality, it’s simply a pull-up bar that can be not-permanently attached to a doorway doing workouts. The advertisements also show people using it for sit-ups, push-ups and dips, but that seems like a sham. Since I can realistically fit only one day of legit weight-lifting into my schedule, I’m going to try a couple of push-up and pull-up programs a few days a week. I’m especially intrigued by a couple of programs I shared with Joe recently... one is the “Hundred Push-up” program, and the other is for either 20 or 40 pull-ups, I can’t remember. Google the phrase “Hundred push-ups,” it should bring up a link. I really wish I had the foresight to buy a bowflex and a treadmill or elliptical prior to getting a gym membership. I think I would get a lot more use out of the basement by turning it into a gym rather than the eventual media room, but oh well.