The League of Extraordinary Runners

NFL Talk (Read 545 times)

Diesel Power

Phil - I agree with the "best player available" mentality on in certain occasions.  However, when a team has a glaring need and top draft picks, then the need should be addressed first.  The Redskins don't have a great secondary at the moment.  Eric Berry certainly would have been a welcome addition, and I wouldn't have argued with the pick if that's the direction they took.  That being said, the Redskins offensive line was attrocious last year.  At no point should D'Anthony Batiste and Stephon Heyer be a team's starting tackles.  Additionally, the Redskins used their second round pick this year to acquire Donovan McNabb and spent their 2010 third round pick in the 2009 supplemental draft to pick up defensive end Jeremy Jarmon.  I think that the Redskins would have been way more likely to pick Berry had they had a second round pick this year.  However, as they only have three picks remaining (fourth, fifth, and seventh rounds - 2010 6th round pick went to the one-year rental of Jason Taylor), I just don't think they had the luxury of going with anyone but an OT.

All I know about Trent Williams I've learned basically in the past month.  However, everything thing I've learned suggests he was the best tackle in the draft for the Shanahan Family's offensive scheme.  I would have been happier with Okung, but they drafted the player I wanted.  If Williams ends up being a bust, then I won't rail on the Shanahans and Bruce Allen for it.  However, you also mentioned his versatility.  I believe Williams played right tackle a lot in college in addition to left (apparently he even played center in the bowl game), so he's comfortable at both.  In my ideal world, the Redskins still pick up Flozell Adams for a one-year deal.  Let Levi Jones walk.  There are your tackles.  Dockery returns as left guard, which he was great at last year.  Salvagable Casey Rabach returns as center, and someone like Mike Williams can be inserted at right guard.  That offensive line trounces the line that was in last year. 

Finally, Mike Shanahan knows a thing or two about drafting tackles.  He selected Ryan Clady at #12 in the 2008 draft.  Clady was all-pro in his rookie season, and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2009. 

Who had the best night? (no particular order)

-Green Bay at #23: Getting Bryan Bulaga this late in the draft was a fricking steal.  Aaron Rodgers had a fantastic season despite being sacked all the time. 

-[Potentially] Baltimore: The Ravens did what I expected them to do - see if Dez Bryant falls in their lap.  After reports of Bryant pulling a "diva routine" during a tryout with the Rams surfaced, Bryant's stock plunged.  However, the Cowboys surprisingly leap-frogged the Ravens to pick him up, and the Ravens traded out of the first round.  In doing so, they picked up the Broncos second, third, and fourth round picks. 

Who had the most surprising/confusing night?

-Denver Broncos: Did anyone see this coming?  Everyone was so set on the Jaguars somehow managing to wrangle Tim Tebow.  Instead, the Broncos kept trading back and trading back, before ultimately trading up to the Ravens and giving away half their draft for Tim Tebow.  Joe pointed out last night - they must not be planning on using him at QB.  One of the biggest surprises in the first half of the NFL last year was Broncos QB Kyle Orton, who previously had rotated in-and-out of the Bears' starting spot with now-Redskins back-up Rex Grossman.  I believe Orton finished with nearly 3800 yards, 21 TDs and 12 INTs.  Not bad at all.  AND, he's still young.  After trading for likely 2008 first round bust Brady Quinn in the offseason, now they draft Tim Tebow?

Speaking of which, I am worried that having two potential QB busts like that one team could create a vortex that will swallow the entire world.

(Note: I just read a review which said Orton has not proven himself as a #1 NFL QB.  They have to be f'ing kidding.  Half the league wouldn't mind having him as a starter over what they currently have.)

-Oakland Raiders: I was stunned.  Floored.  Never in a million years would I have thought this would happen.  The Raiders drafted a player around whom the can build their defense!  At best, I pegged them for Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller, who I previously mocked them with.  That being said, I feel awful for Rolando McClain and the disaster he now ultimately faces. 

-Jacksonville Jaguars: Crickets sounded as Tyson Alualu's name was announced at 10th overall.  Maybe they just want the franchise to be moved to LA at this point. 

-San Diego Chargers: They seemed to almost panic when they traded up for Ryan Matthews.  Maybe #12 was the only spot they could trade up to, though. 

Diesel Power

Joe can atest to how distraught I was about the trade of Jason Campbell.  I agree with trading him in principal, but I can't believe the best anyone would give up would be a 4th round draft pick in 2012. 

However, what initially sounded like a bad trade may get worse.  John Clayton of ESPN may have reported (i.e. I heard this second hand, can't find confirmation) that the fourth round pick in 2012 is conditional on either Campbell making the pro bowl or the Raiders making the play-offs in either 2011 or 2012!  I assume the Redskins would then get either a 5th or 6th rounder in 2012 if one of those conditions isn't met. 

I'll likely post some sort of draft round-up this week.  Thoughts are abundant (and they're not as gloomy as they were on Saturday).  Just need to find the time to type them out. 

The Jason Campbell thing still doesn't make sense to me. I also feel as if news headlines are telling half of the story when they say something like, "Redskins trade Campbell to Raiders." The natural question is, "What did they get?" So you turn to the story and find out that the headline should have read, "Redskins give Campbell to the Raiders."
        philibusters

Raiders probably got good value with both Jason and Bruce Campbell.

Jason is a three year starting NFL QB, who may now be the best QB on their roster.

Bruce is a very raw player, who probably needs at least 1 and maybe two years to be ready to take serious reps at the NFL level, but even by NFL standards is definitely above average as a physical specimen (a legit 6'7, long arms, 550 pound bench (and thats with those long arms), 4.75 forty time).  At UMD he wasn't an attitude kid or a bad worker.   Hes a little simple, he struggled with academics mostly cause he is just not naturally adept at school, less so because he skipped class or anything of that sort.  Raiders will have to ease him in, NFL have complex offenses and he'll be okay when he gets some confidence, but hes shy and may take away to get comfortable in the NFL

Diesel Power

RICK’S REDSKINS DRAFT REVIEW

ROUND 1: TRENT WILLIAMS, OT, OKLAHOMA

After a lot of smokescreens in the days leading up to the draft, the Redskins made what I think is a logical, safe pick in Trent Williams.  Unfortunately, what most people seem to remember Trent Williams for in college is “giving up” the sack of Sam Bradford that put him out for the year.  However, as I’ve said before, Bradford was sacked merely 25 times in about 1,000 dropbacks in his collegiate career.  If he didn’t land wrong on his shoulder, this would be a non-issue.  Regardless, I’d probably assign half the blame of that sack to Williams.  Another knock on him is that he benched 225 “only” 23 times at the Combine.  Armchair GMs are very weird about Combine numbers.  They’ll knock these stats when they could benefit a player, and then point out things like things like this in order to call attention to weaknesses.  In March 2010, Williams may not be able to bench as much as some NFL Offensive linemen.  However, I’m guessing a year or two with new Redskins coaching intern Chris Samuels (!) will remedy that. 

This is the pick I wanted, so I’ll share blame with the new regime if he ends up being a bust.  However, I should note again that Shanahan was criticized before for taking Ryan Clady for the Broncos a couple of years back.  He’s a pro bowler now.  Williams will work out.

EDIT 2pm: According to the Washington Post, in 519 pass plays on which Williams was involved last season, he allowed just TWO quarterback pressures, and was credited with one ASSISTED sack!  He was penalized just five times in 808 offensive snaps.  SICK.

ROUND 2: DONOVAN MCNABB, QB, (Acquired from Philadelphia Eagles)

I completely buy into this rationale.  The Redskins opted to trade their 2010 second round pick (as well as a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2011) for McNabb, in order to have an established QB to build the team around.  If Jason Campbell had an additional year left on his contract, things would be much different.  I’m on board with this trade, though.  I really wished it worked out for Campbell, though.  As it is, I’m glad to have a proven winner in DC.

ROUND 3: JEREMY JARMON, DE (selected in the 2009 supplementary draft)

The jury’s still out on Jarmon.  He will be coming off of ACL surgery for the 2010 season, so one could argue this move was no good.  However, I think he showed a lot of promise in 2009.  Having the extra year definitely gives him a leg up on the 2010 draft class.  I would look for him to back-up the defensive ends in the new 3-4 scheme in 2010 (starters could be Daniels, Carter, or Carriker), but I think he could be a starter in 2011.  His most memorable moment in the 2009 season was likely forcing a fumble to cinch the Tampa Bay game (or, 25% of the Redskins 2009 wins).

ROUND 4: PERRY RILEY, LB

This is the most confusing pick in the draft, for my money.  I understand that linebacker is a need with the move from 4-3 to 3-4.  However, I believe they already have three starters in Rocky McIntosh, London Fletcher, and Brian Orakpo.  I don’t know how well they’ll adapt to the 3-4, but they all have experience starting in the league.  Fletcher is the heart-and-soul of the team, and Orakpo is coming off a rookie pro bowl year with 11 sacks.  I could understand this much better if Riley played in a 3-4 defense in college, but he didn’t.  He’ll essentially have to learn a new defense along with everyone else.

Perhaps Riley can be a good linebacker on the NFL level.  I don’t know enough about him to say otherwise.  I was really pulling for Bruce Campbell.  I agree with what Phil said about his drawbacks.  However, you probably can’t ask for a better lump of clay to mold into a starting right tackle in a year or two.  Bruce Campbell was an absolute gift for the Raiders in round four. 

ROUND 5: ADAM CARRIKER, DE/DT (Acquired from Rams)

This rationale is a bit more warped than the McNabb trade, but I’ll buy into it.  The Redskins acquired Carriker in a trade with the Rams, in which the teams merely swapped positions in the fifth and seventh rounds.  The Redskins the traded their new fifth round position to Miami for a sixth and seventh round pick.

Carriker was the Rams first round draft pick a few years ago, probably widely considered a bust by first-round standers.  However, the Redskins acquired him for next to nothing.  Carriker didn’t play last season due to injury.  If recovered by the end of the summer, I’ll look for him to start at DE.

ROUND 6: DENNIS MORRIS, TE/FB

Get this… the Redskins originally traded their 6th round pick to Miami in the one year rental of Jason Taylor.  The Redskins then traded their 5th round 2010 pick to Miami to get back their original 6th round pick, plus Miami’s 7th round pick.  In doing so, they selected a tight end who is also capable of playing fullback.  I’m not going to say this means Mike Sellers is on his way out, because it doesn’t.  The Redskins are not strangers to picking this type of player late in the draft, and then cutting him before training camp.  I don’t know how he’ll fit in.

ROUND 7: TERRENCE AUSTIN, WR

This guy is what you might call “Seventh Round Value.”  He’s listed at 5’11 and 175, so I wouldn’t look for him to get a tremendous amount of time at WR to start.  However, he was a great kick/punt returner in college.  He is second in UCLA all-purpose yardage only to some guy named Maurice Jones-Drew (perhaps you’ve heard of him).  Despite his size, UCLA coaches are touting him as being pound-for-pound the strongest guy on the team.  He may still need to bulk up a bit to survive NFL hits, and he better have strong hands in order to make the roster.  Regardless, I love this pick.

ROUND 7: ERIK COOK, C

Cook was the MVP of the University of New Mexico football team.  I have no clue how good (or bad) they are, but the fact that a center was their MVP means either (a) they were, in fact, really bad, or (b) Cook was really good.  At 6’7”, he might be too tall to play center in the NFL.  He’s undoubtedly a very raw talent.  I think he’ll make the practice squad, or perhaps play back-up guard.

ROUND 7: SELVISH CAPERS, OT

I should note that the Redskins gained an additional seventh round pick by trading a high seventh round selection to New England for their two seventh rounders.  I like this selection of Capers probably more than Erik Cook.  Capers was actually mocked to be a fourth rounder, but fell to the seventh round for the same reason as many others dropped: this was just an incredibly deep draft.  I think this made up for the Bruce Campbell miss.  Perhaps that’s what team Shanny-Allen was banking on.  From what I’ve read, Capers is a very physical player with quick feet.  His hands need some work, though.  My hope is that he’ll back-up Stephon Heyer at right tackle for most of the season, perhaps getting more playing time near the end.  I think Heyer has one more year left, and I can’t imagine a scenario in which he’s extended.  Here’s hoping Capers can hold down the RT spot thereafter.

philibusters

A neat video of Bruce Campbell...

espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5116722

philibusters

Not NFL related, but for any Terps basketball fans

"Adrian Bowie, Maryland's junior guard from Montrose Christian High in Rockville, ran the 3.1 miles in 23 minutes and 44 seconds to lead the Maryland players across the finish line. He was followed by sophomore Ersin Levent of Landon Prep (25:01), Gregory (25:35), junior David Pearman, the Oakland Mills High athlete of the year in 2007 (26:14), senior Eric Hayes of Potomac High in Woodbridge, Va. (26:14), junior Cliff Tucker (26:29), Mosley (27:53), freshman Jordan Williams (27:53) and James Padgett (28:47)."

Go Jordan Williams.  27:53 isn't bad for a 260 pounder.

Durrr

It's nice to know that all of us (almost all of us) are far superior to collegiate athletes in at least one area of fitness. Back in 2002-2003 I often pondered over what the outcome of a WWE 5k would be. Could the Big Show, a 500-pounder, break 27:53?
                  philibusters

The Big Show likely couldn't break 27:53, but those guys are in shape, so almost all of the sub 250 pound guys could go sub 28 minutes

Diesel Power

Phil - Are those guys from the '09-'10 team, or were there any incoming players in the mix?

Yeah, I'm most impressed with the Jordan Williams time. It's hard to tell if the guys took it seriously, though. Adrian Bowie looks like he probably took it fairly seriously.

I'd put my money on Vince McMahon in a WWE 5k. He'd take performance enhancers so that he wouldn't embarrass himself on camera and then he'd rig the race to make him win.

Otherwise, I'd put my money on a younger Kurt Angle or that younger black dude who started at the same time as Brock Lesnar. I bet a lot of real wrestlers had to run at some point in their high school and college training to keep weight off and build muscle endurance.

Edge would win the 100m by a spear.

Durrr

I bet Rey could run a mile in 6:19.
                          philibusters

Phil - Are those guys from the '09-'10 team, or were there any incoming players in the mix?

Thats this year's team though the team does the same 5K every year supposedly.  Greveis Vasquez (The Terps best player from last season) was also at a 5K this past weekend, but he did a different one.  Don't know if he ran it or merely showed up.

I am not sure if you have to register for an account, but the thread I got the information from was from this site... www.insidemdsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388 , in which case it may not be worth a look .  However, it has a lot of information on MD running (its a UMD sports site messageboard.  The gist of the recent discussions is most people think the MCM is the best marathon in the DC area and that Baltimore Marathon is too hard.

Diesel Power

I'm not sure if I'd qualify Baltimore as too hard, but it is pretty challenging.  I would be interested in running more marathons just for comparison, and also to see how course support is at other events.  Volunteers at Baltimore were just flat out overcome by the masses.  I still think water on both sides of the course would have helped, especially after the half-marathoners merges with the marathon course.  Some race directors would likely have my head lopped off for suggesting that, though.  I dunno.
                              Durrr

I never would have guessed that I'm scarcely any littler than "the littlest player in the NFL."

"Brandon Banks(notes) is listed in his team's media guide at 5-foot-7, 150 pounds. Because the heights and weights of professional athletes are often rounded up (sort of like the opposite of women's driver's licenses), you can safely assume that Banks measures in at 5-foot-6 and a buck-forty-five-ish. Even with the possibly fudged height, the Washington Redskins kick returner is the smallest player in the NFL.

On Sunday, the littlest player made one of the biggest plays."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-NFL-s-smallest-player-scores-on-explosive?urn=nfl-281329