The beautiful persons club

One month (Read 341 times)

The Greatest of All Time

It's been one month today since I started running again post-surgery. So far so good. Did 15 on Saturday and felt good. But I am being religious about leg strengthening exercises, stretching, and rest days. I still cross train everyday but so far I am very pleased. I have not even iced it over the last week. Big grin I am still taking Celebrex everyday however.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's good news, Marcus! Wow, 15 miles. I'm going for 11.8 on Friday, my longest run ever. My ankle still twinges - feels like a headache. Sometimes on the inner part of my ankle, sometimes on the back, and sometimes on the outer part. I hadn't thought about it, but I haven't felt like it needed icing the last week, either. So I guess it's improving, just very gradually. I'm so glad you're progressing well!

The Greatest of All Time

Thanks Teresa. 11.8? Such an odd number. Is that just the distance of a route you have picked out? Smile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like odd numbers! Actually, I happened to do 9.4 miles two weeks ago (went longer than intended), so I did 10.6 last week, and then 11.8 this week makes sense because my HM is my next long run! Equal increase in distance (almost) each week. Engineers are anal about numbers, right, Jeff? My running partner and I are actually going to go down to the HM course (York, Maine) on Friday. It loops through the town, so I figure we can shorten the distance to what we need.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marcus, that is awesome! Glad you are doing so much better. You be careful, now! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Yeah that's pretty weird Teresa. Since I got my Garmin I try to end every run on a whole mile and have actually ran a few laps around our parking lot to get that last extra .1 in. Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here's my warped thinking: I go out for a run, planning on X.0 miles. Being me, a non-athlete by nature, the first few miles are very hard and I feel like dying. Then I don't feel quite so bad, and realize, "Hey, I may actually MAKE X.0 miles, wow." And finally, as I get closer to my goal, I think, "What the heck, let's go for a few more tenths!" So I can go home feeling very proud of myself. You're right, though, people do look at me funny when they ask me how far I ran that day, and I say, "10.6 miles!"

The Greatest of All Time

My God. Well we all play our own mental games, don't we. I have to lose some weight before Chicago. I lifted too much while I was not able to run and am too big up top, although the wife loves it. I don't look anything like a runner right now. Not even close. But I figure training with this extra weight will make me faster when I peel it off.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have to lose some weight before Chicago. I lifted too much while I was not able to run and am too big up top, although the wife loves it. I don't look anything like a runner right now. Not even close. But I figure training with this extra weight will make me faster when I peel it off.
                    This thread is worthless without pics... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You should update your log so that we can see how much weight you have to lose! Evil grin DS is learning about mental games. After his 3-mile race Friday (2nd place, 15:36), I asked him if he congratulated the winner. He said, "Yeah, I told him congratulations and that his kick is better than mine." That surprised me, because DS is not exactly a humble kid, and usually would never admit to ANYONE being better than he is. Then it dawned on me, and I replied, "OH! You WANT him to think he has a better kick than you, right?" He just got a big grin. See, he got something from his mother, it's just not speed. I fully expect him to beat this boy sometime this year.

Bugs

Marcus, Glad the 15 went well, really awesome. Theresa, Did you get any treatment on your ankle? I was finally to chiroractor today after having to wait forever. He did an adjustment and graston and it seems much better. It doesn't hurt running but it looks so thick in the middle. My neice just had her fourth ankle surgery, she said no amount of running is worth the pain she's in. I play the games too. Saturday I ran my 10K pace in a 15K. I was so happy at 6.2 I kept the pace for 3.3 miels. That 15K maybe my favorite distance.

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Then it dawned on me, and I replied, "OH! You WANT him to think he has a better kick than you, right?" He just got a big grin. See, he got something from his mother, it's just not speed. I fully expect him to beat this boy sometime this year.
                          Smart boy. I am up around 180 or a bit higher. But my waist and neck are still the same size. I have 5 weeks to lose it and it won't take more than 3. I am good about dropping 10 lbs quickly. MTA: That pic in my avatar was taken over Labor day weekend. MFTA: So was the one in my profile...forgot I put that one in there....jeeez.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Bugs, congrats on your fast race! What a neat experience to have, going that fast. You're right, I still need to call the chiropractor I go to occasionally to see if he does those treatments. Can't hurt! I'm glad your ankle feels better. Hmm, Marcus, I think you look pretty good, to say the least! Don't get too skinny on us. You must be like DH - he just THINKS about losing weight for 24 hours, and he drops 5 pounds. And he's 54! Fast sons, weight-losing husbands - see what I have to deal with around here?

Bugs

Bugs, congrats on your fast race! What a neat experience to have, going that fast. You're right, I still need to call the chiropractor I go to occasionally to see if he does those treatments. Can't hurt! I'm glad your ankle feels better.
                              Thanks about the race. I can't believe I did that. More offer the treatment than I realized. I've had it done by three chiropractors and each had a different touch but each were helpful. The first was too agressive. It may hurt a little but I was in crazy pain when that lady dug into my leg. Make them stop if it's like that. It may hurt, but you should feel it relax too. I can do some treatments like on my achilies myself now, using arnica oil and a butter knife. Much much better than the stick. Hope you make the call, and if you have any questions I'd be glad to help. I just hope this ankle stays better. 9 more days of tough training till 2 1/2 week taper.

Bugs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Engineers are anal about numbers, right, Jeff?
                                Correct. I try to do all of my long runs as integer multiples of pi e.g. 3*pi=9.42 miles 4*pi=12.57 miles 5*pi=15.71 miles

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.