The beautiful persons club

Knee update - part deux (Read 388 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Sometimes I wish we had a dreadmill.
    Yeah, but they're no good when you break them. On Saturday, the belt on mine started to pinch together. Next thing I knew, the thing was rolling up over itself so that now it only covers about 1/3 the width of the deck. Hence, my run today in 104°F heat index). Angry I recently moved my treadmill into the basement and I must have jarred it or something. I didn't do any work on the belt at all, so I don't understand why it bunched up like that. It's gonna take a lot of work to disassemble it to straighten out the belt, so I guess I need to HTFU (and try to re-arrange my schedule to facilitate morning running).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Your treadmill hates you. It keeps trying to kill you. This is, like, the third incident in a month. Take it outside, man.

Amy

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Your treadmill hates you. It keeps trying to kill you. This is, like, the third incident in a month. Take it outside, man.
        That doesn't even count moving the damn thing. Mutha is heavy. I had to roll it around the house to the basement door in the back (stairs were never a possibility) and I almost lost it down a hill. Maybe I should have let it go. Outside tried to kill me today, though. Hey good call on the excellence of "Point Break." Did you see my follow-up?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hey good call on the excellence of "Point Break." Did you see my follow-up?
          As a matter of fact, I did. Big grin Have you heard of Point Break Live? http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/theater/136264_pointq.html

Amy

Oh Mighty Wing

Zoomy - I didn't read this whole thing, so please forgive me if this is redundant... BUT, my knee issue is instability. However, my knee only acts up when my IT band is tight... but my Doc and PT didn't think it was ITBS. So I have to make sure to stretch my legs really well. Because it's a multi effect thing. My IT gets tight, my claves cramp, my knee hurts. The only one I use to notice is the knee. Know I keep an eye out for tightness in my IT band so I can start stretching before the knee can hurt.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/theater/136264_pointq.html
              That is sheer genius. Not to be confused with Shear Genius on Bravo. Not normally my cup o' tea, but since my wife's hairdresser is on it, we've been watching.

That is sheer genius. Not to be confused with Shear Genius on Bravo. Not normally my cup o' tea, but since my wife's hairdresser is on it, we've been watching.
                Who is it? Are they winning?

Amy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I was just thinking that! Careful, there, Jeff!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy - I didn't read this whole thing, so please forgive me if this is redundant... BUT, my knee issue is instability. However, my knee only acts up when my IT band is tight... but my Doc and PT didn't think it was ITBS. So I have to make sure to stretch my legs really well. Because it's a multi effect thing. My IT gets tight, my claves cramp, my knee hurts. The only one I use to notice is the knee. Know I keep an eye out for tightness in my IT band so I can start stretching before the knee can hurt.
                    You know, I've often wondered if I should pick up a foam roller and do ITB stretching, just to head stuff off. Can't hurt and it could help.

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Could you not run at all?
                      After a while I could sort of run, but it never felt right. That's how I knew something was wrong. MTA: I was in no way implying you couldn't handle pain. It's actually the I am as tough as nails mentality that gets people in trouble. There is a fine line between HTFU and doing more harm than good. My point was that I didn't see this coming at all. You, on the other hand, have an injury that is limiting your running not eliminating it 100% like mine, so be smart.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After a while I could sort of run, but it never felt right. That's how I knew something was wrong. MTA: I was in no way implying you couldn't handle pain. It's actually the I am as tough as nails mentality that gets people in trouble. There is a fine line between HTFU and doing more harm than good. My point was that I didn't see this coming at all. You, on the other hand, have an injury that is limiting your running not eliminating it 100% like mine, so be smart.
                        Yeah...I think what you had has got to be a bigger issue than what I am dealing with. I'm so glad that you finally have had it resolved, though. Now you just have a relatively short recovery, then you'll be back in fighting form in no time. Big grin I'm too lazy to have a truly hardcore tough-as-nails thing goin' on. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I wish I had more experience with pain - now my achilles tendon feels fine while I'm running (5.4 miles today, for example), but a few hours later I can FEEL it. It's not too bad - maybe a 3 or 4 out of 10. So I can stand it, but I don't know how much I can run without making it worse. Does anyone have any experience with this injury?

The Greatest of All Time

Does anyone have any experience with this injury?
                            Teresa, all lilttle minor injuries can be viewed the same way in general. #1 Does it limit your running, i.e. pace or volume? If so, back off one or both and treat it until it no longer has any negative effect. Many, many runners have nagging little injuries for years but it never has any negative effect. Although I have known people that could run every day of the week up to a certain point, say 5 miles and anything over that brought problems. Only time and experience will tell you if you have a cieling that you cannot go above. I mean we all do to a point. Not many can handle >100 miles per week, but not many have the time or desire to even run that damn much. So for ordinary people it just takes time to learn what your body can handle. And trust me, age does have an effect for most. If the last 3 months have taught me anything it's that I am now closer to 40 than 30 and regardless of how objectively fit I may be, I still have a musculoskeletal system with some years and wear on it. Coming to grips with that has been difficult, but the proof is in my stitched up knee. #2 Does it prohibit you from running? If so, the answer is pretty obvious. Big grin
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Marcus! It sounds like I should just keep doing what I'm doing, and increase my miles gradually again. My goal is 30-35 miles per week. It seems like that should be possible at my age, considering what the folks on the masters' board are doing!
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Who is it? Are they winning?
                                My wife's stylist is Glenn (female). She's still in it -- there's 7 left out of the original 12. Funny thing is that the whole season has been filmed, and the contestants, of course, can't reveal what happened. My wife thinks Glenn either won or made it pretty deep into the competition, just based on demeanor, and a few offhand comments.